Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of those questions

Options
  • 09-06-2003 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭

Was visting the sister over the weekend. At breakfast, my 9 year old niece asked "Mum, whats an orgasm?" (she claims to have come across the work in a scientific article). My sister fudged (big time) the answer by saying something like "it would depend on the context of the sentence".

How does one answer a question like this? (without having to explain everything).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Ah, the age old dilemma of trying to keep sex info from kids!
    I suppose you could try and totally change the subject to divert the attention of the child. Although it might come up again a while later. I don't know if the line, "You'll find out when you're older" works. It would depend on the nature of the kid too. Some mightn't be bothered and just leave it and some might go crazy and demand to be told!
    As far as I remember when my bro asked me awkward questions I just said I didn't know and tried to focus his attention on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sandi
    I suppose you could try and totally change the subject to divert the attention of the child.
    I don't think it would work on this child - "she claims to have come across the work in a scientific article"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

it really depends on the age of the child. if the child is 11 or under just say that its something that happens to older people, nothing for you to worry about.
    if the child is 12 or over, you might want to consider talking to child about sex. playground talk is everywhere and its better that kids hear stuff from their parents than their friends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I did explain everything, at age 4 - I got her a book (written especially for kids) and just left it lying around, questions came up when she took an interest. I don't see a problem with explaining (without going into all the gorey details)
    I am of the mind, if they ask the question, they are ready for the answer, it's a natural thing and nothing to be embarrassed about. If the child is reading scientific articles at 9, she is well ready for the answer to her question!

how do you answer a question like that?
    easy...
    it's a lovely feeling that two people who love each other get when they make love

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    it's a lovely feeling that two people who love each other get when they make love
    Whats making love? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Whats making love?

It is like hugs and cuddles,
    a way that Mammy' s and Daddy's
    say I love you but with no words like
    kisses .

That what ours was told :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I did explain everything, at age 4 - I got her a book (written especially for kids) and just left it lying around, questions came up when she took an interest. I don't see a problem with explaining (without going into all the gorey details)
    I am of the mind, if they ask the question, they are ready for the answer, it's a natural thing and nothing to be embarrassed about. If the child is reading scientific articles at 9, she is well ready for the answer to her question!

how do you answer a question like that?
    easy...

Beruthiel, what was the name of the book and is it aimed at curious children or for those under a certain age (how the book describes certain things)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Victor
    Whats making love? ;)

what Thaed said :p

Ph3n0m I have no clue what the name of the book was, she's 15 now, it was a lifetime ago! I do remember I picked it up in easons. It was for 4 years upwards- it explained all sorts of things, including pregnancy and baby questions. It was written simply but even a 10 year old would find it useful.

you can get something simular here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0746042450/ref%3Dpd%5Fsr%5Fec%5Fir%5Fb%5Fh%5F/026-2241345-7025261
    or try information desk @ easons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Explain what an organism is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it is a happy feeling that mammys and daddys get when they make love.

making love see explaination above :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Organism : any living thing.

Anyone remember that episode of Blockbusters. Wonder whatever happend to that poor guy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I think the worst thing when answering childrens' questions is deflect their attention from the question.

As stated before, if a child asks a question they are ready for an answer.

The only thing I would be conscious of is the level of understanding they may have on the topic [i.e. dumb it down (for want of a better term) for younger children]!!

That's not to say that when my kids [future] start asking questions that I don't use the age old male response, "Go ask your mother!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

Originally posted by Sandi
    "You'll find out when you're older"

i'm not a big fan of this approach.

when i was about 8 i saw tampons lying in my parents bathroom and on asking my mom what they were i was told that i'd find out when i was older.
    i guess it was fair enough of my mom to not want to get into it there and then, but it really put me off asking her anything after that.
    i suppose i felt hurt that my mom felt she couldn't tell me and it had a pretty lasting effect.
    (i was a fairly sensitive child...)

if i were you i'd go with beruthiel and thaeds advice and explain it in simple, not too detailed terms.

Originally posted by catspring
    when i was about 8 i saw tampons lying in my parents bathroom and on asking my mom what they were i was told that i'd find out when i was older.
    Yeah, at a similar age I saw an ad for sanitary towels in a magazine and because they promised "to keep you dry", I assumed adult women had bladder control problems :)

Advertisement