Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip - Please, I don't want telephony included.

Options
  • 09-06-2003 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I signed up for netsmart last week. Got my activation notice today, and proceded to go online (or at least try to go online) this evening. After 15, yes, 15 attempts at connecting, I gave up and went back to UTV. Apart from the busy messages, I occasionally got connected, only I couldn't do anything. No packets would leave or enter my modem, leaving me with a service that lets me connect to it, but offers me nothing by way of TCP/IP whatsoever. I tried, after connecting to UTV to make sure that my modem hadn't decided self-destruct, to go online with netsmart again. 30 attempts at getting a connection to send data over, and counting. It's just as bad as Nolimits was.

I'm, once again, left without affordable access to the internet. I crave to go with UTV, but alas, I can't. As I mentioned earlier, I don't own the line. If your listening Scott, I don't want any damn telephony packages bundled with your FRIACO product. Please, hear my plea, answer my prayers. Don't bundle telephony. It's no longer neccessary, as it's no longer required to make your product sustainable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

as it's no longer required to make your product sustainable.

on what basis do you say that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

To quote PiE:
    Not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something about UTV needing the phone call revenue to make the internet package profitable? That's the only reason it's bundled. When FRIACO comes in, the internet calls on their own will (or should) be profitable enough on their own so they won't need to bundle the phone calls into it. So they probably won't. Or maybe they will. Either way I don't mind, I'll stick with their phone package even if I don't have to.

In this post

He does have a point. Is the fact that UTV have to pay per minute for us being online not the sole reason why telephony was bundled? And, if so, shouldn't FRIACO eliminate the need for it? Conjecture and hearsay, perhaps, but you see my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hey hey heyyyy... don't go taking anything I say as gospel truth! :]

Just seems to make sense to me that they shouldn't need the revenue from calls to make a profit.

What's the point in FRIACO otherwise? Not every new entrant to the ISP market will have the resources to maintain a call service on top of the internet one, nor should they have to.

Apologies, I probably should've constructed my own argument. What you say makes perfect sense though. IOL don't need to, so why do UTV?

Besides, _your_ gospel is more than likely a better read... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Originally posted by Nuphor
    Apologies, I probably should've constructed my own argument. What you say makes perfect sense though. IOL don't need to, so why do UTV?

Besides, _your_ gospel is more than likely a better read... ;)

What is interestiong for me is that the UTV site says 247 whereas IOL make no mention of maximum allowed time.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i never had that kinda trouble with netsmart ever.Only 3 times since netsmart was launched have i had a problum getting connected and all you need do is redial and you on. And i havent heard of anyone else with this problum.

you seem to be the exception not the rule m8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think UTV should not bundle their phone & internet packages. Esat/BT have not. Many internet users use family computers and parents pay for the phone bills.

Yet the internet user if he or she wants UTVip has got to get the telephony users to change service provider before he or she can use UTVip.

Esat/BT have not resorted to this & let us hop UTVip changes this obligation when the annonce their package on the 27th next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

UTVIP give you 150hrs for €30
    Netsmart gives you 120hrs for €30

therefore who would presume the extra 30hours is payed for by the telephony ....

No, the UTVip offer is a better offer by 30 hours.

But by bundling their products - they are ineffect forcing you to take the phone package if you want the internet package.

My point being the phone and internet users within a dwelling may not be one and the same.

This is were my difficulty lies when bundling the 2 products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

If Eircom got savaged for saying we had to get their modem, should not UTV receive the same treatment for foisting their phone service on us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by BendiBus
    If Eircom got savaged for saying we had to get their modem, should not UTV receive the same treatment for foisting their phone service on us?

The answer to that is No, comreg govern eircom as they are the ones who own the lines etc. Any provider can have terms and conditions and are covered legally. UTV want you to use their voice service, deal with it. Get a second line in, in a few months it will be single billing anyways so eircom will be taken out of the equation. If you share with someone, surely spending 10 hours a day on the internet using their line would p1ss them off?, no?

Get your own line, stop whinging about UTV, they can and will force you to use their Voice service should you sign up for UTVip or UTVdsl, its a fact. go with netsource... oh wait they force you to pay 150 euro for a domain that costs them around 6 euro .... complain about them aswell ??

Paul

If you buy kelloggs corn flakes you are not forced into buying kelloggs rice krispies.

I have 2 lines but I only get one bill from eircom. Is this acceptable to UTVip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Cork
    If you buy kelloggs corn flakes you are not forced into buying kelloggs rice krispies.

I have 2 lines but I only get one bill from eircom. Is this acceptable to UTVip?

Your first point, No but thats not the point. UTV have terms and conditions, they can make these anything they want. In this case you must get your telephony from them to get any of the other services. it doesn't cost anything to get UTV's telephoney service. In fact there is an average 25% saving on call costs.

CPS works on your eircom account, it doesn't work on seperate numbers. So UTV would most likely want CPS on both. Now if you tell them there is only 1 nuber, chances are eircom will turn it on for both.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by flamegrill
    CPS works on your eircom account, it doesn't work on seperate numbers. So UTV would most likely want CPS on both. Now if you tell them there is only 1 nuber, chances are eircom will turn it on for both.

nope - 2 numbers / "lines" here - UTV CPS on the interweb one, vanilla eircom on the voice one.

happy days.

it doesn't cost anything to get UTV's telephoney service. In fact there is an average 25% saving on call costs.

Do UTVip still have call set up charges? I know Esat absorded these into their unit pricing.

I just feel Esat/BT is offering their wares as stand alone products. UTVip is not.

If you take their excellent interet service - you will also have to take their phone service.

I personally don't want to dictate to others that they have to change phone provider so that I can use UTVip's internet service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Do UTVip still have call set up charges? I know Esat absorded these into their unit pricing.

I just feel Esat/BT is offering their wares as stand alone products. UTVip is not.

If you take their excellent interet service - you will also have to take their phone service.

I personally have don't want to dictate to others that they have to change phone provider so that I can use UTVip's internet service.

then don't

Do UTVip bundle their internet package & phone package in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

It's possible utv don't yhave a telco class billing/rating system themselves-they are expensive-and so piggyback onto nevedas..

* 3.87c inc VAT set up charge applies to all calls

I don't think ESAT?BT have call set up charges.

UTVips hould absorb these set up charges into their telephone pricing plans so that direct pricing comparissons can be made between its products and those of rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Do UTVip bundle their internet package & phone package in the North?

Cork what they do in the North is governed by the wholesale offering from BT which I perveive to be far more progressive and attractive than what Eircom are offering down here. Your compairing Apples with Oranges basically.

If you read Scotts message in the other thread it would be obvious why they are bundling the two together, they have to make some profit from somewhere. As regarding call setup charges etc all I know is that since I've changed to UTV I have been saving approx €100 per billing cycle and any issues I have had with then have been dealt promptly. As for ESAT/BT I have experienced their "service" from the business side and from that experience I would not consider using them unless they were giving away free internet access.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

I don't think ESAT?BT have call set up charges.
    From Esat BT's web site:
    Esat BT Home Phone has a 3.81c call set up charge on local & national calls and a 3.81c minimum call charge on all other destinations.
    /T

To be honest, I'd be more than willing to pay a little extra to opt out of their telephony service (someone else stated this in another thread).

I'm assuming IOL are going to give less hours away with their product, so telephony doesn't need to be bundled.

I think I too would be willing to have less hours on the net - if I could be free to pick my own phone provider.

I think with setup charges & dicount plans it is very difficult to do price comparissons between phone companies.

I think ESAT did not push their phone service with eith "Netsmart" or "No Limits".

In 2003, you can have one telephone service provider for international and another one for national calls under CPS.

While, I admire UTVip for opening up internet access in Ireland. By signing up to their internet package - you also have to sign up to their phone service.

If Eircom did a similar little tactic - people would be screaming "blue murder".

Fair play to UTVip for opening up the internet market but fair play to Esat for notbundling its products and trying to push its phone services upon internet users.

Originally posted by pepsiman
    From Esat BT's web site: /T

I just rang Esat/BT - they don't call set up charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

someone from ESAT BT called to my door yesterday trying to get me to move to their telephony package. This was until I said I was already with UTVip and not €ircon and he didn't bother trying after that. I asked him why and he admitted that UTVip were cheaper than ESAT so there was no point in trying to get me to move to them. I don't understand why people are so against moving their phone calls to UTVip when they are cheaper. You get your bill online and it's itemised. All you have to worry about then is the bi monthly extortion from €ircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I don't understand why people are so against moving their phone calls to UTVip when they are cheaper. You get your bill online and it's itemised. All you have to worry about then is the bi monthly extortion from ?ircon.

It all depends on your mix of calls.

For about 66% of my current phone calls, UTVip over 100% more expensive than my current provider.

UtVip charge 21 cent per minute to Germany. other (ESAT included) charge less than 10 cent a minute.

UTV are also more expensive for calls to the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    It all depends on your mix of calls.

For about 66% of my current phone calls, UTVip over 100% more expensive than my current provider.

UtVip charge 21 cent per minute to Germany. other (ESAT included) charge less than 10 cent a minute.

UTV are also more expensive for calls to the UK.

I suppose, I only make national and local calls so UTV suit me better.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I suppose, I only make national and local calls so UTV suit me better.

But if you sign up to UTVs internet and telephone services.

Can you use CPS to go back to your current telephone provider for national calls and just use UTV for international calls?

Advertisement