Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc trouble

• 09-06-2003 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm not sure if this is right topic channel or what but here we go,
    I've plugged my american pc into an irish mains and I unfortunatly saw a blue flash,I'm scared as hell this has fu**** up my pc (seeing as it wont start up with an american power source now) and I'de like to know if anyone can tell me if its gone to the processor,or worse yet,my geforce 4 4600:P thx :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Have you tried it again with an Irish supply ?
    Is it an old PC (you did mention a Geforce 4 so that would indicate no) it may have a switch on the power supply that you are to use to switch from US supply (110-120v) to an Irish supply (230-240v).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

well I could try but its flashed blue once,why tempt fate:P I'll try the switch thing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

OUCH! :eek: Bye-bye PC, I'm afraid. :(

I would say your PSU is gone for a start. Motherboard is probably fried too, as is your RAM possibly. You might be lucky in that your graphics card *may* have survived but I doubt it. Your hard drives, floppy, CD/DVD-ROM drives should (maybe, possibly, not making any guarantees) be okay. I've seen similar cases to this where everything on the mobo was fried but the hard drives survived.

Best bet is to get your hands on another PSU (Irish this time), hook it up and see what happens. If nothing happens then it's time to strip the thing down and try to test your components on another machine to find out what's salvageable or not.

Sorry mate, but it's not looking good. :( A hard lesson to learn, I know, but I bet you'll never make the same mistake again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Jeez Aidan !! Take it easy :D:D

Most power supplies these days (if not all) are auto-switching, in my experience anyways :confused:

Also the damage that can be done by one plugged into a wrong supply can have all the effects you listed on a host machine. However, I would really judge these on a case-by-case basis, i.e. PC 1: may result in just a blown power supply
    PC 2: may just blow a processor
    PC 3: may blow a processor, RAM etc...

Obviously none of this would make theoretical sense, but it's what I've seen on numerous occasions.

PC's eh ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

ehm hmmm
    Now I'm getting freaked.this is going to really hurt my pocket if its a worst case scenario ,and lets hope its not.well live and learn,but my psu was fairly recent,and lets hope the blue flash was the psu screaming in pain.We shall see anyway,time will tell and thx!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

ok correct me if im wrong but the psu's in the usa run on 120 volts,the european ones run on 230 volts.there might be a red switch at the back of the psu to change the voltage,needless to say make sure it's not plugged in when u change it,if ur pc dosent work even after changing the voltage,id start with just replacing the psu and see wot happens.good luck

CombatCow

Advertisement