Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group E - Belgium vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE & ITV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Sand wrote: »
    They must be excellent conmen to fool the top clubs in Europe to play them in their first XIs.

Spurs and Liverpool ???? Hazard Courteois and players in average Premier League sides? The top clubs in Europe are Barcelona, Munich Real Madrid. I dont see many Belgians there unless Spurs are a top European side now??!

I knew people would big up Belgium, we were appalling in every aspect and made them look good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 AdolfEngIand

edgecutter wrote: »
    The FAI needs to invest in getting coaches in this country UEFA qualified. Delaney needs to be removed or at least 90% of wages taken off him. Also the ludicrous money O'Neill is on could and should be spent elsewhere. I am not hitting out at O'Neill, but if you don't have the players you can't expect the manager to win games.

Getting to the tournament was an achievement in itself. Getting out of our group would just be a bonus.

Northern Ireland were ****e against Poland and played well when they had nothing to lose. We can do the same against Italy. Maybe we'll have a bit of a luck against a team who have already qualified. If not, well it shouldn't really surprise anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Am i the only one who thought the referee made some absolutely horrific decisions? Shane Long got kicked in the head, the ref let play go on and they scored...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

So whats the deal with qualification? say we won and got third, how many spots?

All but gone. I can't see us beating Italy no matter the side they put out, Insigne, Thiago Motta & El Sharrawry are on their bench to name but 3 top players they have in reserve so any notion that a weakened Italy won't be strong is nonsense.

Without going into permutations, it's very possible we'll need more than a clear 1 goal win against Italy!

Spurs and Liverpool ???? Hazard Courteois and players in average Premier League sides? The top clubs in Europe are Barcelona, Munich Real Madrid. I dont see many Belgians there unless Spurs are a top European side now??!

I knew people would big up Belgium, we were appalling in every aspect and made them look good

You sound like a right barrel of laughs. In comparison to Ireland they are world beaters.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    The only gobsh*tes are the ones who settle for this stone age, also-ran bulls*it. We can do much better than this.

I don't blindly support anyone or anything. I'm Irish, so of course I want our teams and sportsmen/women to do well anywhere. But I'm tired of wanting this team and this association to do well. They are a joke.

Its the inferiority complex and defeatist mentality that is prevalent amongst many fans and the players and management

We can do much better than time wasting at 0-0 10 minutes in. Yet many so called fans accept it and make excuses that Belgium are world beaters

It really is sad to see and nothing will change under O Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

shut t f up. kilkenny hurling team, rugby team, ruby walsh, cork womens team.

the man is a broken incoherent record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Getting to the tournament was an achievement in itself. Getting out of our group would just be a bonus.

Northern Ireland were ****e against Poland and played well when they had nothing to lose. We can do the same against Italy. Maybe we'll have a bit of a luck against a team who have already qualified. If not, well it shouldn't really surprise anybody.

Italy's second string are playing at a higher level than a lot of our first team. I want us to win, but we have to accept that our team is not at the level required. It's been a long time since we have had a player playing in the Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

With nearly half of UEFA teams qualifying it's not the achievement it once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Shur why just stop with Keane...

Chippy Brady out on the left.
    Aldo up front.
    McGrath in defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ah Eamon. Hendrick wasn't great today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Have to say, that was a lot easier than I expected.

No idea what happened to Ireland, but I felt they didn't even put up a real fight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

shut t f up. kilkenny hurling team, rugby team, ruby walsh, cork womens team.

the man is a broken incoherent record.

Surprised he hasn't dropped McGregor into that tried and tested list of his.

You sound like a right barrel of laughs. In comparison to Ireland they are world beaters.

Why would I be laughing after that performance?? Its realism and it is very depressing to see

Irish_rat wrote: »
    It's all starts at home, we need more people going to matches and the FAI need restructuring. Its as simple as that.

Alot of armchair fans on here watching foreign leagues week in, week out and yet won't make the trip to their local team.

Says it all

Perhaps your right but not everyone has 'a local team' in terms of the LOI. The nearest to me would have been Kilkenny city who resigned from the LOI due to poor attendances and they are 18 miles away. then theres Waterford and then the Cork clubs. For city dwellers teams are far more accessible with public transport

In terms of the junior leagues, my local village club for example is overran by a few egotistical power hungry dickheads ( some decent people thrown in tbf also who are too passive perhaps), one of which is turning youngsters off soccer with foul language and abuse.

Crowds aren't going to pack into grounds week on week to watch lads who are ultimately limited in their trade and even if they did it wouldnt mean squat long term. They are limited due to the culture of idiotic simple minded coaches in this country. The Problem is from the bottom up, and additionally we have a clown steering the big wheel in Delaney.... One of a long list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

It is what it is. We have lower Premier league and championship players playing against the second best ranked team in the world. Coming from a country that years ago got its act together and invested in youth football. Like many countries around Europe, the most eye-catching being Iceland. See the recent Guardian article.
    To hold out 0-0 until half time impressed me. And there is nothing our management can do to suddenly change our players mentality into that of possession held, technical football.
    Until that muppet is ousted from the FAI, nothing will change. We'll continue to stagnate and fall behind the rest of world football. Name one shining star under the age of 21? None.
    Me? I'm looking forward to going to Lille to enjoy the craic with best supporters in the world, who are currently doing the country proud. Win or lose, we're having a good time. I believe this is our last tournament for a generation so may ad well enjoy it.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

No idea what happened to Ireland, but I felt they didn't even put up a real fight ?

It's difficult when the ref has bottled a decision and they run up on the break and score. The game could have been different even if he notices a head injury and stops the game.

However, we simply weren't good enough today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I just wish When took the yellow for the first goal. He should have milled.

Can't see us getting past Italy but still great to be involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

A team that gets a whipping like this today surely doesnt deserve to go into the next round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Why did anyone expect Republic of Ireland to beat Belgium? We've only defeated one higher ranking team in a competitive game in the last decade.

• Advertisement

Why would I be laughing after that performance?? Its realism and it is very depressing to see

Every single one of your posts has been negative. Nobody likes a whinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Beaten by the better team of course but I still think O Neill has to carry some of the blame. First half tactics of the hoofball are a thing of the past and a cowardly way to approach the game. Clark being picked as well as McCarthy shouldn't have happened either.

A win against Italy would get us through, I don't see five third placed teams finishing on four points, but I just don't see us beating Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

If Belgium turned up we where always up against it. In saying that we played into their hands gave the ball away to cheaply time and time again. We simply don't have the players and belgium is packed full of very good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oh we are talking about world class players now, ya know there is an in between and Ireland are still nowhere near that level. Your ignorance on this matter really is astounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Duffy in for Clark. Hendrick push in more central and then McClean in for Whelan.

Love to see that against Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Once the first goal went in it was game over.

Nothing to do with putting up a real fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Irish_rat wrote: »
    A team that gets a whipping like this today surely doesnt deserve to go into the next round.

Why?

keano_afc wrote: »
    When all is said and done we dont have the players to compete on this stage. And performances like this should make the FAI take a long hard look at themselves. Clubs are going to the wall over a few thousand in debt while payoffs for losing matches go missing.

The game in this country is amateur from the ground up, and I don't see.it getting better any time soon.

Here we go just like 4 years ago

Its not the FAI's fault clubs like Monaghan and Athlone spend above their means. The thread on here about that has all the info , not too many blaming the FAI there

I would be more worried about the FAI handing O'Neill another contract before this tournament, so we have to watch this turd football for another few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The supporters who pack out Old Trafford, Highbury and the rest could learn a lot from Ireland's supporters.

They're the same people. Aside for a hardcore of a couple of thousand, they show up for the big games, the big events and fair play to them, they enjoy themselves. But lets not pretend that the people on the piss in France and Poznan are going to be at Lansdowne Road on a February night when we play Andorra nevermind there to support the game of football in Ireland.

They're away enjoying their holidays right now and more power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The biggest surprise is that people are surprised this Irish team is shyte.

Duffy in for Clark. Hendrick push in more central and then McClean in for Whelan.

Love to see that against Italy

I hope so. Let's go out with a bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

crushproof wrote: »
    Me? I'm looking forward to going to Lille to enjoy the craic with best supporters in the world, who are currently doing the country proud. Win or lose, we're having a good time

Help an old lady across the road, mend a puncture, buy a Belgian a Stella Artois, and then kiss an Italian on both cheeks and wish them all the best for Wednesday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

I think de bruyne would walk into any top European side. Bayern were after him from Wolfsburg but city stole him with their 50 mil. Vermalen plays for Barcelona. I don't think a lot of world talent has looked good so far in the euros. Ronaldo for example was invisible for Portugal, Muller in first game was very poor. But that does not stop them being top top talent. Just means they haven't clicked together as a group in this tournament YET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

We all expected to be beaten, let's be honest, but the performance was very poor.

Here we go just like 4 years ago

Its not the FAI's fault clubs like Monaghan and Athlone spend above their means. The thread on here about that has all the info , not too many blaming the FAI there

I would be more worried about the FAI handing O'Neill another contract before this tournament, so we have to watch this turd football for another few years

The FAI are not investing the resources they have properly. The winners of the league only get 100,000, yet that leech Delaney gives himself 350,000 a year. That is just plain and simply wrong. It shows a lack of care to try and build a team.

How can our teams in our own domestic league move forward?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

De Bruyne was **** today. He kept losing the ball. Overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Harsh criticism of McCarthy. A yard in the difference for that second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Realistically the structure in Ireland is not geared towards producing top level international players. Underage is in poor standard and revolves around hoofball and getting the ball to the biggest and strongest lad up front. The LoI is generally ignored and scoffed at by fans and media alike. And then we wonder why our national team is in disarray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Who would you hire to take the shackles off Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Terrible match.

Get rid of Clark and McCarthy.

We won't beat A weakened Italy side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is it now. This is our nation's footballing future and getting to the Group stages of tournaments and getting hammered by good teams is all we can hope for. We saw it four years ago and we're seeing it now.

When you rely on other countries to develop your footballers and have a football association which abdicates all responsibility for creating and developing players this is what you get. When the FAI washes their hand of grassroots football and the domestic league, this is what we get. So we better get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Ardent wrote: »

HARSH?!?! He was shocking today. Should be sent home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ally Dick wrote: »
    crushproof wrote: »
    Me? I'm looking forward to going to Lille to enjoy the craic with best supporters in the world, who are currently doing the country proud. Win or lose, we're having a good time

Help an old lady across the road, mend a puncture, buy a Belgian a Stella Artois, and then kiss an Italian on both cheeks and wish them all the best for Wednesday ?
    Sounds like a right good plan. Is this Italian a bit of a looker?
    I'm a realist, as someone else mentioned, the Italian second team would be us. Maybe we can snatch a draw by being ultra defensive, but then the armchair fans would be giving out yards that we didn't attack attack attack. I'll admit I hate the hoofball tactics but our options are so limited that we really don't have much else.

Every single one of your posts has been negative. Nobody likes a whinger.

We just got battered in appalling display of negative football, and you come on expecting back slapping and positivity ?Give your head a shake ffs

This mindless positivity is mind boggling from some. Its a shame the team and management couldnt play with the same positivity instead of lieing down and embarrassing ourselves in front of Europe once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not at all. 2 basic mistakes a man of his experience should not be making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

The knives are out in the RTE studio

rob316 wrote: »
    Oh we are talking about world class players now, ya know there is an in between and Ireland are still nowhere near that level. Your ignorance on this matter really is astounding

You havent a clue pal or you cant read, the post I quoted says Belgium have loads of players with Europes top clubs. They do not unless you consider Spurs and Liverpool top clubs.

I dont really care either way, we seen what they were against Italy. They are no great shakes but go on keep your head in the sand. Its more about the negativity we displayed on the pitch today, Belgium didnt have to play well at all

The knives are out in the RTE studio

Talking a load of rubbish. They haven't focused on the main issue, we don't have the players. Dunphy mentions Roy Keane and how great it would be to have him. There isn't any world class players or even great players coming out of this country anymore and we need to focus on why that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

if it were a drinking competition,we would win hands down every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

That match has made me want to buy a Hyundai and drive it into a big wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement