Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Been about two years now since I packed it in full time.

Will admit that I am a social smoker but it's been two years since I was smoking a pack day. Now, it's more like five every Saturday night. A massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

what's the app? I'm competitive enough to get into that idea!! 4 weeks off now, have had a job interview (that I got) and presentations to give and deadlines to meet in that time... and didn't smoke... woop!!

"QuitNow is what i have, theres lots of different ones too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I was off them almost 10 years from 2003 to 2013. Slid back on them and was smoking heavier and heavier until I got that terrible flu in January. The cough was so bad I gave them up completely, no sly ones or anything. I feel so good I'll never touch another one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Back here again! I quit my marlboros four years ago after Allen Carr seminar but then decided to have one or two of my boyfriends rollies while on holidays in Greece last September. That was a slippery slope, started smoking the odd rollie when having a drink. I could never smoke the Marlboros/cigs again though, I just completely went off them but had the odd 'innocent rollie'.

Anyway the rollies have rolled their way back into my daily routine over the last couple of months and until last night, i was back to smoking about 10 a day. I wouldn't mind but I took up running 5-10k since last year, what the hell am I doing back smoking? It's like I walked back into it totally blind.

Anyway here goes day 1 off them for the 3rd time. Not having those silly drunk smokes ever again. Lesson learned. I really want to be 100% smoke free now. Can't believe I have to go through the 3 days of hell with the nicotine monster again but i have to because I'm sick of having that chesty feeling back. I want nice teeth and skin and I want to run faster and be stronger!! Here goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

what's the app? I'm competitive enough to get into that idea!! 4 weeks off now, have had a job interview (that I got) and presentations to give and deadlines to meet in that time... and didn't smoke... woop!!
    "QuitNow is what i have, theres lots of different ones too:)

I used 'Time To Quit Smoke' , found it a great incentive to keep going. It says I am now 427 days without a smoke :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.time.to.quit.smoke&hl=en

• Advertisement

I used 'Time To Quit Smoke' , found it a great incentive to keep going. It says I am now 427 days without a smoke :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.time.to.quit.smoke&hl=en

Thanks Dave. I just downloaded it myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

Have a few smokes left now, about 6 I think. Going to finish them tonight for good. Quit before and first few days were hard, then it was just a matter of saying no to people who offered me one and getting out of the habit of having them at certain times and places etc!

Wish me luck :P:P:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

misscpmfan wrote: »
    Have a few smokes left now, about 6 I think. Going to finish them tonight for good. Quit before and first few days were hard, then it was just a matter of saying no to people who offered me one and getting out of the habit of having them at certain times and places etc!

Wish me luck :P:P:D:D

Very best of luck! :)

Cravings are nasty the past hour or so. I loved my mid morning smoke break in work more than any other time!! Yesterday evening was OK. Got asleep relatively easily but kept waking up in middle of the night. I remember from quitting from the last time that 2nd and 3rd day were fairly tough. Trying to drink tons of water and eat fruit to keep pangs at bay. Went training last night and the hill runs were easier after 1 day of not smoking...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

2 years without having a cigarette!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I quit last year.
    Sometimes I feel tempted so I keep this song in my head

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cno20onK9dY

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Frito wrote: »

Thanks for that , they are currently using that song on ITV ads for the Tour de France and I was just wondering what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

3 years,6 months no fags
    thats after almost 30 years puffing up to 40 a day
    used my quite app to help
    put the money away and wow
    spent 6 thousand(fag money)on new windows in house
    3 very nice holidays--one a month touring USA
    all with my cigarette money
    and still have lots in my "rothmans"bank
    and you know what???
    i still miss them damm things and thats why i can't go back

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I'm 159 days off the ciggies now. Gave up on 16th February 2015, 12 days after my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. That bad news, and it is the worst thing to hear for him, it gave me the kick I needed. And I know my dad is really proud of me too, which I think helped me along.

I smoked since I was 18, about 20 a day and I never tried to give up before at all. I didn't bother with any patches or anything like that, all just cold turkey. The first day wasn't too bad, but the second day was a complete fecker! Third day wasn't as bad and was easy from them on. And I mean easy, it really was. Even now, I rarely think of them, and have never wanted a "sneaky" one.

I used www.quit.ie and felt it helped me in some ways. Like the daily text message first thing in the morning really helped, and to log on and see how many ciggies I have not had, or how much I have saved.

At the minute, I have saved €1590 and that could have bought me a heifer!! Of all things!

Best of luck to those giving up, and congrats and keep at it to those who have. It has been by far the best over decision I have made in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

off the smokes since feb 2015.
    I used to love smoking golden virginia, but I needed to save some cash as had another child on the way.
    I used willpower and chewing gum. I am happy that I gave up - and dont miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

2 years off the smokes yesterday.

Funny how it's still important when you reach those milestones, even after so long.

Haven't had one cigarette since quitting and that's the reason I made it this far.

Still is one the best things I have ever done.

Best of luck to those giving up and for those thinking of doing it - just do it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Coming up to sixteen years off them now and to be honest still not entirely craving free. Wish I had never started.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Four years off them today :)

Best of luck to all giving up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

off them nearly 2 weeks. Got the flu and couldnt smoke so i decided to continue. no problems so far, but i was off them for 2 months before so have to watch out for complacency

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Four years off them today :)

Best of luck to all giving up today.

Congratulations. Same for my better half and I.

The hardest thing i've ever done, and it took about four serious attempts before it "took". And if i hadnt relied on double doses of nicotine lozenges for the first six months I dont think I could have done it.

Stopping on January 1st was a great time as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭grymreepor

i can quit fags....no bother....but i find it hard to stay off them.

2nd day now and have committed to a zero tolerance approach(which seems to be working)

not one puff of smoke ever again.

its a vile evil addiction but it can be beaten.

we shall overcome.....best wishes brothers and sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Apart from the odd bit of tobacco in a joint that a friend shares with me I am 100% off them. Used to be 10-15 a day smoker for 6 years. Never crave them on nights out, and I no longer crave them when I'm stressed, which is when I found it was always the hardest to resist!

Just wish I never started in the first place to be honest. Why oh why didn't I just listen to my parents? Since quitting I've been on a big crusade to get my parents to stop, how the tables have turned!

What were those crazy Native Americans thinking!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭get a room

Was off the ciggies 22 years, went back on them before christmas, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My younger brother smoked 40 a day for 20 odd years.

2nd Jan he got an e cig thing and hasn't touched a real fag since. Still puffing away to save the world, but it is better than smoking tobacco. Going into his apartment now is easier, no smokey smells.

He says he needs them and probably will forever. I don't know if it's just substitution, but it has to be better, and i'm delighted for him.

Best of luck to you all. ( I was never a judgemental non smoking prick either) We all have our demons!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I just can't fathom how anyone would want to smoke 40 a day! That's 3 fags an hour! Lord... At my worst I was maybe 10 cigs a day. Granted I "only" smoked for 6 years, I imagine the longer you're on them the worse it gets... But still. Imagine if he laid down every cigarette he ever smoked in one straight line, it would be horrific.

Desperately trying to get my parents on the e-cigs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 happy81

hi everyone, im new to boards and have found this thread brilliant over the past few days
    i am at a point where i am sick of smoking but still highly addicted!!ive tried so many time to stop -used every nrt on the market and read allen carr countless times!! i want to stop when at home ive no interest and am fully psyched but as soon as i head into work smoking consumes my mind.. sorry for the long rant but think im going crazy. i have purchased an ecig and am planning to use this instead of cigs for the first few days before i tackle the physical withdrawal, has anyone else used this method are they as addictive as i dont want to swap one habit for another but duuno if i have the willpower to go cold turkey
    ive been smoking 1/2 my life 20 a day over the past 10 years, thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

happy81 wrote: »
    hi everyone, im new to boards and have found this thread brilliant over the past few days
    i am at a point where i am sick of smoking but still highly addicted!!ive tried so many time to stop -used every nrt on the market and read allen carr countless times!! i want to stop when at home ive no interest and am fully psyched but as soon as i head into work smoking consumes my mind.. sorry for the long rant but think im going crazy. i have purchased an ecig and am planning to use this instead of cigs for the first few days before i tackle the physical withdrawal, has anyone else used this method are they as addictive as i dont want to swap one habit for another but duuno if i have the willpower to go cold turkey
    ive been smoking 1/2 my life 20 a day over the past 10 years, thanks in advance!!

You wont get many answers here in this thread,go here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497 and post a new thread.

For me,cold turkey was not an option,I sweated just by thinking of it,smoked for 50 years,so I needed something to replace cigs & the answer was vaping with a good setup & 24mg nicotine eliquid & never looked back,the transition was so easy for me,my health improved so much even after 2 weeks vaping & I have been vaping for over 7 years now,vaping hardware was crap back then,but today's vaping gear is excellent.
    When you post a new thread,ask for recommendations on the best vaping setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

284 Days off the fags today. Used to use two inhalers daily morning noon and night. This is the longest I have ever gone without Tobacco in 17 years.

I do use a vape pen on a daily basis. I plan on putting that in a drawer once I get to my one year anniversary; I don't think I would have gotten this far without it, it has been a beneficial tool in abstaining from smoking but I want to achieve a years abstinence before leaving that alone.

My lung health has improved immensely and as a result of this I exercise regularly to levels I could not have done as a chronic smoker; exercise beyond moderate levels weren't possible as a smoker as I couldn't breathe properly.

Extremely important for people to try and get away from this evil product, by whatever works for them. Patches and cold turkey only got me so far. Replacement therapy through using a vape pen has positively impacted on my health.

Best of luck for people trying to give up. Don't give up on your health

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

spurious wrote: »
    Coming up to sixteen years off them now and to be honest still not entirely craving free. Wish I had never started.

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Fist of all Spurious I just want to say, very well done for giving them up. and for staying off them for 16 years.. I smoked since I was 13 and now I'm 23. I hope someday I can say I've been off them for 16 year...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Day 47 today.

Despite never really thinking of myself as a 'smoker', I've been regularly smoking 6-7 a day for a couple of decades. There were always set times of the day that I'd have a cigarette, way into work, lunchtime, way home, after dinner. Basically I'm the worst kind of smoker because I wouldn't even admit to myself I was one, so how could I ever give up?

I've tried giving up before and managed 4 weeks last year before once again finding an excuse to go back on them.

This time feels different though, I was out with friends who smoke on Friday and had a couple of drinks watching the match last night. Both these scenarios would have been key temptations for me in the past. But strangely, I didn't even really need to be strong. It just never entered my head to have one.

Been putting €10 into a jar every 3 days to represent what I would be spending on smokes and it's crazy how quickly it grows. €150 in it at the moment, going to let it build and get something nice for the family.

Don't want to get over confident, but I just don't see myself going back. Really hope not anyway.

Advertisement