Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best farming van

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Filled the hilux again today. 26mpg, on this fill.I've never had a thirstier yolk. The local petrol station is getting to see a lot of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Who2 wrote: »
    Filled the hilux again today. 26mpg, on this fill.I've never had a thirstier yolk. The local petrol station is getting to see a lot of me.

That's hard

• Registered Users Posts: 36,142 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Got rid of the jeep myself few weeks ago due to a personal change in circumstances for the better. Had forgotten how light a car/van is. I'm driving a 1.8 i-vtec now and the difference is night and day. Jeeps are costly maintenance wise unless you have enough viable work for them. Tyres are close on 200 a corner. 10l oil changes, diff oils. Lots and lots of bushes etc etc etc.... Oh and feckin daysul every other day ;) heavier than my 100hp tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

you can't go wrong with the caddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's a pity vans have poor towing capacity. Even the smallest livestock trailer fully loaded would be a no no with a van. Also they are v light on theback anyways and every bit as easy jack knife as a car.

Is it possible to have an old jeep (with valid doe)
    Just for limited trailer work, and run on vintage tax and insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Don't touch the opel combo.some people raving about mpg on the 1.3 engine.its a fiat engine that's bet into the combo to fit.to do any work on the engine you will be guaranteed to take chunks out of your hands unless you have wee midget hands.heater plugs are impossible to change on them as they normally break removing them and your looking at pulling the head or tap and die to fix.egr valves are a nightmare and air flow meters are China's finest and not cheap.you will also have to replace every single suspension part on a weekly basis as they appear to be made of twigs and soft as butter.also no matter how many times you track it they go up the road like a 3 legged crab with a bad dose of itch.you will also end up funding your local tyre mans kids college funds.you will end up spending the winter threatening it to start on cold mornings and the rest of the time trying to find out where the leaks are that fill it with water.as for a trailer they wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man. I could think of others but maybe my yeok is just haunted.gotta hand it to her though she has character

So...you're a big fan then?! :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Muckit wrote: »
    It's a pity vans have poor towing capacity. Even the smallest livestock trailer fully loaded would be a no no with a van. Also they are v light on theback anyways and every bit as easy jack knife as a car.

It would have to be 30 years old, 1986. AFAIK. Land rover is the best bet, it's the chassis number that counts, you could have a 1986 chassis with a later disco body etc. on top. Unfortunately old Land rover chassis seem to make mad money, I wonder why?;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Muckit wrote: »

Horses for courses, you're not going to pull a box with a car or a quad either.

There's no point having a 4wd just as a vanity item and make no real use of it, but plenty people do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Were you towing with it?

• Advertisement

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Were you towing with it?

Done one short run with a flat bed in that. I'm down the country these days so it'll be good to see what she does on main roads only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Done one short run with a flat bed in that. I'm down the country these days so it'll be good to see what she does on main roads only.

I've a 2.5 hilux, very disappointed with it, like you 26 MPG, and they're claiming near 40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Torque and fuel economy don't mix.

I don't think there's any capable towing 4x4 that'll realistically get over 30mpg

Also manufacturers mpg tests are done on rolling roads where there is no wind resistance something which has a massive impact on larger vehicles fuel economy capabilities so they are always greatly exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Still a few hero's around, saw a 03 berlingo pulling a flatbed with an Mf 135 on it tonight in town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Did a 300km round trip to factory today in a 12 yr old landcruiser with a 10 x5 livestock trailer on back. Painfully Swallowed €55 of diesal. Whilst parked up waiting to unload, saw a lad with a passet type car towing a 8 x5 fully loaded. Must have been a good 1/2 tonne over the max towing capacity of the car. The rear suspension was right down. I'd be tempted to copy him,as his diesal cost is probably half what mine was, but wouldn't fancy the handling ability of his car in a emergency . Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did a 300km round trip to factory today in a 12 yr old landcruiser with a 10 x5 livestock trailer on back. Painfully Swallowed 55 of diesal. Whilst parked up waiting to unload, saw a lad with a passet type car towing a 8 x5 fully loaded. Must have been a good 1/2 tonne over the max towing capacity of the car. The rear suspension was right down. I'd be tempted to copy him,as his diesal cost is probably half what mine was, but wouldn't fancy the handling ability of his car in a emergency . Each to their own I suppose.
    What would a haulier charge for the load you had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I don't think there's any capable towing 4x4 that'll realistically get over 30mpg

Also manufacturers mpg tests are done on rolling roads where there is no wind resistance something which has a massive impact on larger vehicles fuel economy capabilities so they are always greatly exaggerated.
    We've a dmax that seems easy enough on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Don't the manufacturers turn off all the electrics as well, and everything that can extend the mpg - to an inflated, inaccurate figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I suppose 25-28 mpg is about the run of most work type jeeps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Mooooo wrote: »
    What would a haulier charge for the load you had?

Only haulier that was passing my way was full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Only haulier that was passing my way was full.

Cork marts do a collection service for ICM on wed, I assume they call to Fermoy as well Green... Not sure how far Fermoy is from you though?
    I think it's costs about 3euro / head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

IH784man wrote: »
    We've a dmax that seems easy enough on it

Same here. Averages 32 with a nice little bit of towing thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Did a 300km round trip to factory today in a 12 yr old landcruiser with a 10 x5 livestock trailer on back. Painfully Swallowed €55 of diesal. Whilst parked up waiting to unload, saw a lad with a passet type car towing a 8 x5 fully loaded. Must have been a good 1/2 tonne over the max towing capacity of the car. The rear suspension was right down. I'd be tempted to copy him,as his diesal cost is probably half what mine was, but wouldn't fancy the handling ability of his car in a emergency . Each to their own I suppose.

I was working near a mart today and met a corolla pulling what looked like two big cows overtaking a tractor and long cattle trailer coming against me ! The only thing he could control seemed to be the lights he was flashing at me . Lucky i could pull up before we met !

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

rangler1 wrote: »
    I've a 2.5 hilux, very disappointed with it, like you 26 MPG, and they're claiming near 40

What's the defender like on diesel I wonder..Good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Defender 25mpg if you dont have the lead boots on

It drives like a 35, has the seating position of a mini and I didn't bother trying out how far it would go after that. But, you can't break them.

Would you notice the difference in the berlingo 75hp and 90hp engines does anyone know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would you notice the difference in the berlingo 75hp and 90hp engines does anyone know?

Depends on what's in the trailer behind.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Depends on what's in the trailer behind.

The kubistar I think was 80hp and it had no bother pulling the trailer with meal. It was only a short distance tho. With today's regs you won't be pulling too much over a long distance anyways.

The van is mainly used trailerless anyways. Maybe once a week or so a builders trailer is attached. I never pull a cattle trailer with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Reggie. wrote: »

Yes, the 75hp is very very dead. Good deals on demo bingo vans I think around 13/14k from memory.

Advertisement