Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine

Options
  • 23-11-2016 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm hoping to start drinking red wine but don't know where to start and what brand ,I've a sweet tooth of that matters and price between ten-twenty euro so is there a nice tasting wine red that won't make me say yuckkkk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Judging by your criteria: Buckfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just one moment please..

Aongus Von Bismarck to reception please, Aongus Von Bismarck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ribena and add vodka...it'll at least look the same

Wine is rank.....I cannot fathom why people pay to drink it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Why do you want to start drinking red wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

Ribena and add vodka...it'll at least look the same

Wine is rank.....I cannot fathom why people pay to drink it

There's something slightly incongruous about these two sentences!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Pinot noir is a good place to start with red.

Haven't had red wine in ages. Will have to remedy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Get a bunch of the 1/4 bottles and have a tasting.

Personally, I like Shiraz and cabernet sauvignon.... Preferably from Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Hi I'm hoping to start drinking red wine but don't know where to start and what brand ,I've a sweet tooth of that matters and price between ten-twenty euro so is there a nice tasting wine red that won't make me say yuckkkk

Hoping to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just hook it to my veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just one moment please..

Besides, white wine FTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't think I've ever tasted a sweet red wine. And I've tasted a lot of wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

West coast cooler do a rose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hi I'm hoping to start drinking red wine

What a wonder ambition!

We're fully behind you OP in all your future endeavors!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't think I've ever tasted a sweet red wine. And I've tasted a lot of wine

I have tasted a lot of fruity reds that would be considered sweet, A LOT....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup. Red wines that are high in sugar are usually experienced as "fruity" or "rich" or some such term, rather than as "sweet". That's because red wines tend to have other characteristics that eclipse a sugar taste.

If, when the OP says that she has a sweet tooth, she means she prefers drinks that taste sugary, then there are a lot more whites than reds that will appeal to her. There are explicitly sweet-tasting reds, but not a lot of them, and they'll nearly always be labelled "sweet", since they will have been produced specifically to have this fairly unusual characteristic.

What makes red wine red is the grape skins, and they also impart tannin, which tends to eclipse a sugar taste. So if you want to produce a sweeter red, one way to do this is to remove the grapeskins at an earlier stage in the process, resulting in a paler wine. And certain grape varieties are better at producing sweet red wine; particularly shiraz and grenache.

So, OP, head down to your off-licence and browse among the reds, looking for shiraz and grenache wines that are pale in colour. They may appeal to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Wine is not like Sherry OP....so dont be thinking about sweetness.
    A good starter would be a nice merlot. Get a bottle for around 12-14 in the supermarket and see if you like it. Try the McGuigan Merlot perhaps?

If you want to go mad all together then download an app called Vivino. It will give you ratings and average price for most wine bottle labels so you can read what people have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As previously mentioned pint noir is generally an easily accessible starting point. Look for something lower in alcohol, 10-12% rather than 12-14.5% as less alcohol generally means more sugar and a sweeter less dry wine. A wine low in tannins is good to avoid that drying grape skin effect. Try an eastern European shop for romanian/moldovan wine as they tend to be very easy drinking and clearly marked as being sweet or dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Try a Zinfandel, it's californian and is very drinkable. Go for either Menage a trois or Gnarley Head brand. If you do let me know whatyou think, there 2 of my favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It goes to my he-ay-ay-ad!!

Have that fcuking song in my head now, thanks!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

You can mix red wine with Cola or Tonic to mellow the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Just one moment please..

I like the way you're thinking but the OP specified a price range of €10-20. AvB wouldn't even make his famous coq-au-vin with a €20 wine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It goes to my he-ay-ay-ad!!

Have that fcuking song in my head now, thanks!

Don't you mean you have that fúcking song in your he-ay-ay-ad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

I applaud your wish to start drinking red wine.

It's stopping drinking red wine that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Popular drink spain and south america is mixture of coke and red wine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo

This could be a gate way beverage for you before you embark on a more serious career in wine drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Watch Sideways, before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm sure there are reviews online, apparently Lidls have some decent ones. Just buy a bottle a day, you have to build up a familiarity with wine and you'll only do that by drinking a lot of it.

If you live in a city I've heard they have these people called winos, they have a lot of experience with wine so should be able to advise on a one to one basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Ted111 wrote: »
    Popular drink spain and south america is mixture of coke and red wine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo

This could be a gate way beverage for you before you embark on a more serious career in wine drinking.

It's disgusting, have you ever tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What a wonder ambition!

We're fully behind you OP in all your future endeavors!
    Is there a different drink that you might recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Winterlong wrote: »
    Wine is not like Sherry OP....so dont be thinking about sweetness.
    A good starter would be a nice merlot. Get a bottle for around 12-14 in the supermarket and see if you like it. Try the McGuigan Merlot perhaps?

If you want to go mad all together then download an app called Vivino. It will give you ratings and average price for most wine bottle labels so you can read what people have said.
    I've yet to taste a good Australian, stick with spainish, Italian , French , chille

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

ted1 wrote: »
    I've yet to taste a good Australian, stick with spainish, Italian , French , chille

Thats the thing about wine though, you will never find two people who have the same tastes. One mans wine is another's vinegar.

Advertisement