Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lamborghinis etc in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

This thread has a lot of interesting stuff in it, including a very rare Renault Alpine on Irish plates:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&page=599

68deville wrote: »
    Was that 412 metallic blue originally?

Possibly, IIRC "Mac 3" had a photo of it taken in the early 1990s that he scanned and put up in this thread somewhere:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&page=573

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mac 3

412 and a friend back in the day.

scan0009-1.jpg

scan0008-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Possibly, IIRC "Mac 3" had a photo of it taken in the early 1990s that he scanned and put up in this thread somewhere:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&page=573

Those old pictures are fantastic

millington wrote: »
    Those old pictures are fantastic

Here ye go, from a few years ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81859381&postcount=8554

• Advertisement

Mac 3 wrote: »

Hope you don't mind me posting this here

IMGP0175.jpg

millington wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me posting this here

IMGP0175.jpg

The blue one is a 365 GT4 I think. The 1989 412 went to kenilworth motors after that pic was taken, it was for sale with Dermot Wallace after that. I saw a pic of it taken in Dublin about 3 years ago so that was still around then.

The 412 was always a marmite car but I always liked them. Met a guy in limerick a while back who had a blue LHD one on a cork reg. anyone ever see that one?

The 412 was always a marmite car but I always liked them. Met a guy in limerick a while back who had a blue LHD one on a cork reg. anyone ever see that one?

I think it was mentioned in the thread, check recent pages.

Late 80s/early 90s, the then owner of the Stillorgan Park Hotel had a red XJS V12 convertible, he used to park it in what is now called a 'Quality Bus Corridor' (ho ho!) outside the hotel.

scan0032.jpgii

Taken on the stillorgan dual carriageway..

There was an Irish reg Ferrari 348 in Donnybrook area around '92, I saw it a few times because I had a summer job in Donnybrook. I heard it was owned by the then French ambassador, no idea if that is reliable info or not.

Owned by the same owner that had the 412. Was last seen advertised in the U.K. 91-D reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Circa 1992, I remember seeing Prince's 'Sexy MF' on Top of the Pops (which features Prince with the usual bevy of beauties gyrating in front of a yellow BMW 850, then new on the market.) Later that same evening I saw (you've guessed it) a yellow 850 on the Stillorgan Dual carriageway. If it wasn't for the fact that I was a clean-living college student I might have thought I was hallucinating. Found out later it was part of Frank Keane's collection. He might still have it for all I know. Think he had a Z1 also.

I'm presuming this may the same car. When Prince played here on his Diamonds and Pearls tour in '92 , he specified an yellow 850 as the car he was to be driven around in. I was school friends with someone whose father was and still is a Dublin Chauffear for some celebs.
    I remember cycling up on my bike to his house and sitting in the seat that Prince had sat in. It was an unreal car. I was and still am a massive Prince fan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone remember the Delorean that used to sit on Cornelscourt hill? There was also some sort of three seater sports car up on bricks beyond Enniskerry near enough to Tony Doyle coaches.

Owned by the same owner that had the 412. Was last seen advertised in the U.K. 91-D reg.

Yep, sounds like the same car, I'm pretty sure it was a 91-D reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Delorean that used to sit on Cornelscourt hill? There was also some sort of three seater sports car up on bricks beyond Enniskerry near enough to Tony Doyle coaches.

Used to be a Delorean and a rolls silver cloud parked up in the Parnell centre in the late 90's. Wonder if it's the same one?

I'm presuming this may the same car. When Prince played here on his Diamonds and Pearls tour in '92 , he specified an yellow 850 as the car he was to be driven around in. I was school friends with someone whose father was and still is a Dublin Chauffear for some celebs.
    I remember cycling up on my bike to his house and sitting in the seat that Prince had sat in. It was an unreal car. I was and still am a massive Prince fan

scan0009.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Taken on the stillorgan dual carriageway..
    Ahh, Hollywood Nights. #goodtimes

There used to be a yellow Porsche 924 living in the house on the corner of Shrewsbury Road and Merrion road in the late 80's/early 90's. Right accross the road from where I used to play in a school band. I think I'm attracted to 924s because of the time in my life I used to see it.

That 412 (and Mondial that followed) on Ailsbury Road stayed with me too but I still can't afford either of those. :P

As far as I know there were two Phantom VI's sold here. One belonged to the McGraths Hospital trust, 777Z was the reg.

The other, a silver car, belonged to Ambrose Congrieve, its reg was IKI 384.

Nichols of Lombard Street owned a Phantom V, I'm unsure of its reg.

I think this is the motor car here:

http://antiquesandartireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/congreve-rolls.jpg

Sold as part of the Mount Congreve collection, it fetched 46k at hammer in 2012.

Seemingly it was regularly used by Congreve (or perhaps more accurately, by his chauffeur) to transport visitors from Cork airport to his estate near Waterford town. Only 60 miles or so, but still.

Used to be a Ferrari Mondial knocking around Dublin 2 area back around the early 2000s, saw it on quite a few occasions.

Also a Lotus Excel in Stillorgan circa late 1980s - a very rare car. Not a very good car, mind.

Don't think too many TVRs ever made their way to Ireland, though was certainly a Chimaera around at one point.

House near Enniskerry had a Renault Alpine early 1990s.

There was at least one Ferrari 400 imported into Ireland by a well-known businessman who is a Ferrari buff and collector - as far as I'm aware it is still in the country.

scan0010-1.jpg

Mondial owned by 412 owner

Few more various pics
    Few old photos from the early 90s. Anyways, theyre all cars for sale in garages in Dublin when I was a young fella..

scan0024-1.jpg

scan0005-4.jpg

scan0010-2.jpg

scan0012-2.jpg

scan0006-4.jpg

Ferrari 308GTS in Donnellys long mile road. Used to be Paul Darragh's according the salesman

scan0004-6.jpg

scan0002-4.jpg

For sale in a dealer's in Stillorgan in 1991.

scan0023-1.jpg

Theres a RR Camargue parked down from the 635csi. Maxwell Motors, now Frank Keane blackrock

scan0005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

just by way of noting a few things on this particular thread, besides its great content...

it was mentioned a page or two back about Kevin Herron's knowledge bordering on the encyclopaedic when it comes to prestigious marques in Ireland - (i don't know Kevin at all, only from his somewhat sporadic posts here) - Kevin do you have a background in the motor trade?
    If you haven't already, you should put this documented knowledge into print - it could be boards Classic Cars of Ireland coffee table book :cool:

@ Mac3 - fair play to you for the pics from the early 80's - i spent my early formative years not too far from Maxwell Motors, and drooled everytime i went by.

...and the last post by Ferrari36000 was number "355" - nice... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fantastic, pics, Mac 3. I'd have seen many of those same cars back in the day when I had a white Countach on my wall and growing up in SCD.
    scan0023-1.jpg

For sale in a dealer's in Stillorgan in 1991.
    That's the old Maxol Station at the top of Woodbine. I "freed a nipper" there a few years earlier. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

Ive a very fond recollection of a neighbour buying 90 SO 1 brand new , a BMW 730 i and a fine machine it was too , funny thing is when you put the reg into motor check it comes up as a 88' BMW !!!

https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/90so1/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

My dad had a 635csi in around '81 or '82. Reg no was RZR 8. It was pretty much the equivalent of driving around in a Veyron back in the recession-hit 80's. People would be all over it at petrol stations etc. A new 6 series today would barely get a glance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Big Nasty wrote: »
    There was also some sort of three seater sports car up on bricks beyond Enniskerry near enough to Tony Doyle coaches.

Matra Bagheera. It spent a lot of time under a cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

spyderski wrote: »
    My dad had a 635csi in around '81 or '82. Reg no was RZR 8. It was pretty much the equivalent of driving around in a Veyron back in the recession-hit 80's. People would be all over it at petrol stations etc. A new 6 series today would barely get a glance...

man that was some beast back then , did you ever keep track of it ??

spyderski wrote: »

Much classier looking car than the modern equivalent. IIRC Spencer in the US detective series 'Spencer for Hire' drove one which probably helped its image.

man that was some beast back then , did you ever keep track of it ??

Not really, I was too young at the time. I know it was around Ballsbridge in the late 80's but no idea since then. It's the first car I remember, so I bought one myself back around 2006. Have it garaged, only 52k miles. It's still a savage car - will be a proper classic at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

It's a proper classic now!

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's a proper classic now!

Ah, mine's only an '89. Few years to go yet.

• Advertisement

Much classier looking car than the modern equivalent. IIRC Spencer in the US detective series 'Spencer for Hire' drove one which probably helped its image.

Wasn't it Spencer's sidekick, big black guy called "Hawk"? A white one iirc....

Advertisement