Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism in compatible with a belief in the Afterlife?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

smacl wrote: »
    Which is why I PM'ed the actual algorithm used (but not the word) to one disclosed user and another undisclosed user in case Pat called foul play on this basis. To crack this requires collusion between those involved AND the necessary hacking tools.
    Yes, that's correct, though you don't need the tools or tool developers to collude. In any case, it's still easier to compromise than a publicly-announced algorithm and result - which is why that private-algorithm approach isn't, to my knowledge, ever used in infosec.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

robindch wrote: »
    ^^^ User carded for ignoring a mod instruction.

Mod needs a Valium

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yes, that's correct, though you don't need the tools or tool developers to collude. In any case, it's still easier to compromise than a publicly-announced algorithm and result - which is why that private-algorithm approach isn't, to my knowledge, ever used in infosec.

Depends on the problem you're trying to solve. This one isn't typical in that we're trying to guess the selection of a single discrete value from a relatively small finite set. This is an ideal candidate for a brute force attack where the algorithm is known. The simplest solution here is to not disclose the algorithm, not use an algorithm typically associated with cryptography and not depend entirely on the technology. Unadorned public key encryption isn't the optimal solution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Mod needs a Valium

In an attempt to dissuade you from the path you are clearly on to get yourself entirely banned from this area of the forum (and given your snide one liners that do not address my posts there, also the philosophy forum).......... I move to request your update on your word game from last night.

Shall you be presenting any guesses today? Or are you intent on getting banned so you do not have to?

Mod needs a Valium

In an attempt to dissuade you from the path you are clearly on to get yourself entirely banned from this area of the forum (and given your snide one liners that do not address my posts there, also the philosophy forum).......... I move to request your update on your word game from last night.

Shall you be presenting any guesses today? Or are you intent on getting banned so you do not have to?

The game of one-upmanship requires patience, so you'll have to wait.
    Also, you accusing me of being snide is quite ironic, doncha think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Another eight and a half hours or so until it's 24 hours from the time I chose the word after you'd announced your special talent.

If you don't post the word, then I think we can safely assume you're either unaware of your incompetence, or you're aware of your incompetence, making you a fraud.

Over to you!

The game of one-upmanship requires patience, so you'll have to wait. Also, you accusing me of being snide is quite ironic, doncha think?

Well if one-upmaniship was your game and intent then you probably should have been explicit on that before, especially as nothing you have offered so far has one-upped you on anyone at all.

That said I shall certainly let the readerbase read my responses and your responses on this thread and on the other thread in order to decide where the irony lies and where the weight of quality and maturity lies in our respective posts.

As for waiting however, I have only your own words to go on and your own words very expressly and clearly said.........

"Wanna play for fun? Pick any word you want. I'll meditate on it tonight and post it in the thread tomorrow."

.............. which seemingly this cop out post above from you means you are not reneging on? Or is the aforementioned input still likely to be arriving today?

Another eight and a half hours or so until it's 24 hours from the time I chose the word after you'd announced your special talent.

If you don't post the word, then I think we can safely assume you're either unaware of your incompetence, or you're aware of your incompetence, making you a fraud.

Over to you!

Yawn, have some patience.

The game of one-upmanship requires patience, so you'll have to wait. Also, you accusing me of being snide is quite ironic, doncha think?

Well if one-upmaniship was your game and intent then you probably should have been explicit on that before, especially as nothing you have offered so far has one-upped you on anyone at all.

You're fully aware that I was referring to your game of one-upmanship. The rest of your post is just an ego-flex disguised as a relevant response to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,227 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Does this mean you haven't done it yet, like you said you were going to? If so, why the wait?
    Does it mean that you have done it and are yet to announce it? If so, why hold off?

I don't understand why anyone who's accessed complete proof of a supernatural ability like this would be so hesitant to demonstrate it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just out of curious interest, care to try the same again using your original technique but with an english word in lower case?

That said I shall certainly let the readerbase read my responses and your responses on this thread and on the other thread in order to decide where the irony lies and where the weight of quality and maturity lies in our respective posts.

It's ok, we can both be snide in this instance. No need to deflect and appeal to the majority for comfort.

Ps, stop trolling me and be patient instead of acting like an intellectual bully.

King Mob wrote: »
    Does this mean you haven't done it yet, like you said you were going to? If so, why the wait?
    Does it mean that you have done it and are yet to announce it? If so, why hold off?

I don't understand why anyone who's accessed complete proof of a supernatural ability like this would be so hesitant to demonstrate it...

One question at a time, you'll have me overthinking as much as you clearly are.

I haven't attempted it yet.

You're fully aware that I was referring to your game of one-upmanship. The rest of your post is just an ego-flex disguised as a relevant response to my post.

How can I be fully aware of you referring to something I know I am not engaged in? Are you even trying to make sense at this point? Though to use your own words "Also, you accusing me of being irrelevant is quite ironic, doncha think?" given the responses you have offered to my posts......

Here and here and here for example

....... you certainly have no pedestal upon which to be making such false assertions.

Exactly who is offering responses that contain no relevance to the other I wonder? Again I will leave it to the readerbase here, not you or I, to decide for themselves. But really until you offer a reply of some substance to my posts with the same level of decorum as I have done for you, you really do not have a pedestal from which to admonish anyone. Least of all me.
    It's ok, we can both be snide in this instance. No need to deflect and appeal to the majority for comfort.

Were comfort required you might have a point, but you have roundly offered NOTHING at this point to cause any discomfort so I am not sure what you think you mean.
    Ps, stop trolling me and be patient instead of acting like an intellectual bully.

Perhaps you have been fortunate in life never to have been the subject of ACTUAL bullying. I have seen it happen and met people it has happened to and being bullied...... ACTUALLY bullied....... is a horrific thing.

However saying "I will give you X tomorrow" and then being asked "It is tomorrow now, will you be giving us X?" is so far from being "bullying" that I am only able to doubt that you know what the word even means.

Similarly you might wish to learn the difference between "trolling" and "replying to" as the latter (which I am doing) is very strongly different from the former (which I am not). YOU said you would delivery today and I have done nothing but ask you IF you still intend to do so. You could just answer "yes" or "no" of course at which point I could stop asking, and you could stop playing the persecution card.

Especially given that THIS.........

means that you have already reneged on the middle part of this......... "Wanna play for fun? Pick any word you want. I'll meditate on it tonight and post it in the thread tomorrow."........ so suspecting you plan to renege on the rest is well founded and warranted.

Ok, why not when you said you'd do it last night?

When will you be able to do it?
    Why do we need to wait? Is your ability only available at certain times?

How can I be fully aware of you referring to something I know I am not engaged in? Are you even trying to make sense at this point?.

Yawn, you're just clogging up the thread with ego-driven impatience now.

Ok, why not when you said you'd do it last night?

I was otherwise engaged.

I was otherwise engaged.
    So when can we expect your attempt?

Why not do so now and show all of us unbelievers up?

I was otherwise engaged.
    So when can we expect your attempt?

Later this evening perhaps.

[QUOTE=Pat D. Almighty;103418350Why not do so now and show all of us unbelievers up?[/quote]

I wouldn't have the time right now, sorry.

Any other questions?

Except the thread would not have been "clogged" (if such a thing were even possible on a text forum) if you had merely answered the question when first asked. You just did it with the "Later this evening" post above. That was not so hard now was it?

I await your guesses agog. Genuinely interested to see how close to my word you get. Especially as I have something quite interestingly amusing to reveal if you get it wrong :)
    Any other questions?

Other than all the ones in the posts you have ignored? Nah, if you want to answer questions you could likely just go back and find the ones you have thus far dodged I guess. Hardly makes sense to ask new ones, when you so demonstrably have retreated from the old ones.

• Advertisement

Perhaps? So again you're going to back out? That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Perhaps you should give something more concrete if you want to be taken in any way seriously.

Perhaps in the meantime, you can furnish some evidence to you claim that you attempted to prove your ability with Randi and various youtube channels?

Except the thread would not have been "clogged" (if such a thing were even possible on a text forum) if you had merely answered the question when first asked. You just did it with the "Later this evening" post above. That was not so hard now was it?

There's that snide thing you pretend you don't do ;)

Perhaps? So again you're going to back out ?

You're going to overthink yourself into a thought-loop if you're not careful. I'll let you know when I've done it.

You're going to overthink yourself into a thought-loop if you're not careful. I'll let you know when I've done it.
    Yes, but so far you haven't been very trustworthy or reliable. I'm trying to get you to nail yourself down to give yourself some credibility.
    If you don't give yourself a specific target, it looks rather pathetic and like you are stalling or leading people on.

So I will give a deadline for you.
    This time tomorrow.
    If you haven't furnished a correct answer by then, you have failed and it's clear you cannot do what you claimed you could.

Any excuses or waffle will not be accepted. But I can't imagine why you wouldn't just give the correct answer you were so confident you could give.

That is just the non-reply dismissive stuff you patently DO do.

Other than all the ones in the posts you have ignored? Nah, if you want to answer questions you could likely just go back and find the ones you have thus far dodged I guess. Hardly makes sense to ask new ones, when you so demonstrably have retreated from the old ones.

I wasn't talking to you, but it's interesting to see that you're still engaged in a game of one-upmanship. I hope this brings awareness to that which you claimed you weren't aware of. Or whatever intellectual jargon you used to deflect.

I'd like you to stop trolling me please or I will report your posts.

That is just the non-reply dismissive stuff you patently DO do.

Yawwnnn. Stop trolling me with snide remarks thank you.

Yes, but so far you haven't been very trustworthy or reliable. I'm trying to....

Flex your ego?

Have some patience, I'll do it when I'm ready thank you.

Flex your ego?

Have some patience, I'll do it when I'm ready thank you.
    So you are admitting that you cannot do it then?

It's that or you produce the answer before the deadline.

We have been patient, you already failed to meet your deadline once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Any other questions?

How long before you post "Ha ha - you guys are so easy to wind up!!" ?

Advertisement