Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burke Family vs NUI Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

I'm sure the Christian Society in NUIG on Wednesday will see an unprecedented amount of students wishing to join their ranks following the monumental canvassing of their members. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

But Ficheall's point is both relevant and salient because their views on gay marriage are informed by the effect they believe allowing gay marriage will have. That is to say their views on gay marriage incorporate those issues Ficheall has referenced, ergo it is illogical for those issues to be deemed outside the permissable ambit of this discussion.

If I have misunderstood anything, apologies

Yes, by all means, discuss their views on gay marriage but if you want to have an argument on the merits of polygamy or about people marrying corporations then either take it to PM or a more relevant forum. Especially if you're doing it "to play Devil's Advocate".

That's about it. Stick to the issues at hand, don't derail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

There's a difference between derailment and empathy towards their opinion, so as better to best it, that you don't seem to be getting Lockstep.. "Devils Advocate" is a fairly important position; someone to raise the arguments that anyone trying to talk sense into stonewalls like the Burkes would need to face eventually. Better to have the perspective now, then to deal with the frustration for the first time when dealing with them.

Anyway, is not this entire avenue of argument as to what is & is not permissible to talk about growing into a far larger derailment then your original plea to censor?

There's a difference between derailment and empathy towards their opinion, so as better to best it, that you don't seem to be getting Lockstep.. "Devils Advocate" is a fairly important position; someone to raise the arguments that anyone trying to talk sense into stonewalls like the Burkes would need to face eventually. Better to have the perspective now, then to deal with the frustration for the first time when dealing with them.

Anyway, is not this entire avenue of argument as to what is & is not permissible to talk about growing into a far larger derailment then your original plea to censor?
    If you have a problem with my moderation then take it to PM or the feedback forum. Do not question it in the thread. This is clearly stated in the forum charter which I suggest you read.

Otherwise, stick to the issues at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Christ above. The referendum was concerning marriage equality i.e. giving LGBT people the same marital rights as straight people. What is so hard to understand about that? Start a new thread about polygamy if ya like. Stop derailing this with your rubbish.

Might as well close this tbh. The Burkes got hockeyed in the polls and are now, rightly, considered a complete irrelevance. It's sad to think how messed up those children must be, but I'm just thankful most people have been given relative normal upbringings and that NUIG voted in a sensible manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

Even if it's just a tiny portion of the overall student population, It's still a bit worrying that 114 students (or 110 excluding the 4 Burkes) decided to Vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Lockstep wrote: »
    Feel free to discuss their views on gay marriage (given that's what kicked off the uproar) but if you want to get into a discussion on polygamy or What If The Burkes Said X, this isn't the place for it.
    Right, so how much of a "discussion" are we allowed?
    The only reason I mentioned "What If the Burkes Said X", was because I was curious as to the rationale behind not being allowed to mention polygamy. Allegedly, it was because the Burkes hadn't mentioned polygamy. Now that it's been pointed out that they plainly did, it seems that it's still not acceptable.

Part of the argument that was given for polygamy being irrelevant was that marriage was "presumed to be between two people" and not "allowed between three or more people". I'd be concerned if people can't see a very obvious link between this and marriage having until very recently been presumed and allowed only between two people of opposite gender.

You've spent some time in LitnDeb - you know that it can be fun and interesting to argue for a certain side even if you disagree with it, right?

Just because the Burkes agree with a point doesn't necessarily make it an invalid point, no matter how much people dislike them, or how daft some of their other points might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

First off: In one way Lockstep; my bad: I was reading off a smartphone screen&didn't see you were a mod. I know better then to argue meta with a mod in a thread as, no matter whether the arguers' point is valid or invalid, the mod will have supreme choice in the outcome of the argument.

WallyGUFC: True the referendum was about marriage equality. The thread however, from reading it thoroughly, was to do with the stance of the Burke family on the matter, and the logical fallacy on which their entire argument was based (gay marriage leads to all kinds of craziness leads to NAAMBLA). From what I read, opinion towards how to deal with their clownhattery, varies from beat them in the streets, a small contingent; the the majority of people who thought that the level best way to deal with an opponent whose reason is skewed from the norm was with rationale. When a person will not engage in logical debate from the majority viewpoint, the only other option for discourse is to try&see things from their viewpoint so as better to overcome whatever roadblock their (or sometimes your, but mostly not in this case) belief systems have put in place.

It's a brilliant, and not at all surprising, outcome that both Burkes got their asses handed to them but this has been nowhere near their first jaunt into the limelight. Nor will it be their last, albeit they will probably think twice about trying their hand at either involving a branch of the Christian Union for their own ideological agenda or political stature itself. It is wise though to keep in mind their continual journeys to protest Leinster House, and the fact that there are yet more young Burkes to grow. They, and their ideology, are not going to go away so it needs to be dealt with, and rational debate in my view is the best solution so as to be ready for when they crop up again.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Right, so how much of a "discussion" are we allowed?
    The only reason I mentioned "What If the Burkes Said X", was because I was curious as to the rationale behind not being allowed to mention polygamy. Allegedly, it was because the Burkes hadn't mentioned polygamy. Now that it's been pointed out that they plainly did, it seems that it's still not acceptable.

Part of the argument that was given for polygamy being irrelevant was that marriage was "presumed to be between two people" and not "allowed between three or more people". I'd be concerned if people can't see a very obvious link between this and marriage having until very recently been presumed and allowed only between two people of opposite gender.

You've spent some time in LitnDeb - you know that it can be fun and interesting to argue for a certain side even if you disagree with it, right?

Just because the Burkes agree with a point doesn't necessarily make it an invalid point, no matter how much people dislike them, or how daft some of their other points might be.

You were told, twice to let the polygamy derailment go. Given you've refused to do so, and ignored my direction in this thread, take a short break from the forum.
    Like I said, if you've a problem with my moderation, feel free to send me a PM or take it to the Feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

So a friend just sent me this over facebook. Though this thread would enjoy it.

8MaEOS4.png

Definitely room for improvement before I'd put it on a tshirt :-D

T-shirt link http://www.foutees.ie/designer/working_copy/1952735617

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Blackpanther95

The Burke family are the biggest legends ever, thumbs for everyone who isn't afraid of saying what they believe in.

On a more intelligent note, there needs to be a no campaign to every democratic election/referendum. Understand the Burke family are just fulfilling a democratic necessity. Also the title of this forum is terrible: "Burke family vs NUI Galway", thats untrue there are 170 people in NUIG who are against gay marriage and at least 6 who are against homosexuality itself so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

The Burke family are the biggest legends ever, thumbs for everyone who isn't afraid of saying what they believe in.
    Posts all relate either to maths or criticism of the Legion of Mary's disbandment last December...hmm.

yes lol, because Isaac would call himself Blackpanther lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

yes lol, because Isaac would call himself Blackpanther lol
    Well, the Burke's were throwing Panther-esque shapes on Wednesday...http://www.oaknyc.com/content/wp-content/uploads/panther3.jpg

Manco wrote: »
    Well, the Burke's were throwing Panther-esque shapes on Wednesday...http://www.oaknyc.com/content/wp-content/uploads/panther3.jpg
    ^ Oh lolz, I guess then I must be a burke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's hard for me to read this thread and not replace "Burke" with "berk"; as they say in Cockneyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Where did this Burke family come from? From Castlebar myself and have never heard of them in my life!

Isacc Burke is back with the Burke Broadcast where he is 'Chronicling Corruption at NUI Galway.'

A truly shocking and startling look into the oppression that the brave Burke family faced in their fight against the evils of showing common human decency to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Isacc Burke is back with the Burke Broadcast where he is 'Chronicling Corruption at NUI Galway.'

A truly shocking and startling look into the oppression that the brave Burke family faced in their fight against the evils of showing common human decency to others.
    He is a complete and utter hypocrite. I left this comment and I wonder how long it will be before it's removed :pac:
    Isaac if you want to talk about corruption and double standards at NUIG, then look no further than yourself. I remember how you and your siblings got elected to the Christian society council. You were a PHD student giving calculus tutorials to engineering students. You approached me and a number of other students and offered us free grinds if we would turn up at the meeting and vote for you and your siblings. One of the people, Vikram was a muslim who would never join the Christian society but hey ho, it's votes that count. I even remember a member of the Christian society saying that the numbers at the meeting were too high and it wasn't fair if people who had no intention of joining were voting so your underhanded tactics didn't go unnoticed and this incident is remembered by many.

You abused your position as a PHD tutor to bribe students to throw an election. That is corruption of the highest order. You shafted your fellow members of the society for your own agenda. You are not a victim, you are a hypocrite. I used to admire you and thought you were an intelligent young man who would go far in life. When you gave tutorials you were passionate and a really good teacher. You made me understand things really quickly. It saddens me to see what you have become.

There are other ways to get your point across. The thing is though, there are not enough people with the same values as you so you are fighting a losing cause. Society evolves. I understand that it's frustrating for you that society isn't moving in the direction you would like but that does not mean you are being persecuted. You used corruption to play the system. You didn't get the end goal you wanted. You can't now play the martyr.

If the university banned you for life from societies for misappropriating funds to the tune of €325, how do you think they would react if they knew you were abusing your position of power and trust to rig elections? I trust you won't delete this comment as everything in it is factual and you do believe in free speech. Stop what you are doing and take a good look in the mirror of reflection before you go too far down the rabbit hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Their propensity for hyperbole and self-pity hasn't been dented over the years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Their propensity for hyperbole and self-pity hasn't been dented over the years anyway.

From a skim of his twitter...

(a) he really dislikes NUI Galway

(b) Hes been there near 10 years i think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

They were relatively quiet for a while but reemerged last year to protest Mayo's first pride. Save Connacht from sodomy, mar dhea. https://www.instagram.com/p/BW2yDKqFSkL/

One of the younger siblings, Josiah, also set up a Facebook page recently accusing Lit and Deb of censoring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They did give great grinds tbf

They're top notch people. You couldn't have a better family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ha kicked out of court. Probably thinks of himself as a martyr for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

They look rather incestuous.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bunch of headbangers. They are making themselves unemployable.

That guy lives in a very very small little world and he still thinks he is back on the 5th year school debating team.

They just need to go away and grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Didin't a sister get sacked from a law firm in Dublin recently? Naturally she is running off to Court taking on the world to right the shocking and evil wrongs committed against her.

Advertisement