Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why does easy jet not fly to dublin

Options
  • 28-05-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

easy jet is probably by far the most popular budget airline in the UK it has flights operating to belfast but there is no flights to anywhere like cork , shannon or dublin any idea why easy jet don't fly to the republic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭kooga

they used to fly cork Gatwick back around 2004/05 then Ryanair started to fly cork Gatwick - price war and easyjet walked away

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/easyjet-launches-gatwick-services-to-knock-shannon-and-cork-airports-25899234.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 thebest97

ye i thought that alright , i understand them not flying to dublin because of ryanair but i thought they could put on a limited number of flights from cork or shannon without causing to much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

thebest97 wrote: »
    ye i thought that alright , i understand them not flying to dublin because of ryanair but i thought they could put on a limited number of flights from cork or shannon without causing to much trouble

Ryanair will target any LCC that comes in to Ireland with matching routes and fare dumping, even at the regional airports. Wizz, Jet2 and Easyjet have all given up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yep, as mentioned, as long as Ryanair have a big presence any other competition wiill be fought off by them to the death.
    In the instance of Knock/ Gatwick, easyJet pulled the route once Ryanair joined, as it wasn’t sustainable and once easyJet pulled out so did Ryanair, leaving the route entirely unserved for years after. The biggest losers were Knock airport and all the people who benefitted from that route.
    After that easyJet haven’t dared to enter the Irish market south of the border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yep, as mentioned, as long as Ryanair have a big presence any other competition wiill be fought off by them to the death.
    In the instance of Knock/ Gatwick, easyJet pulled the route once Ryanair joined, as it wasn’t sustainable and once easyJet pulled out so did Ryanair, leaving the route entirely unserved for years after. The biggest losers were Knock airport and all the people who benefitted from that route.

Pretty sure they did this with the Cork - Dublin flight. Aer lingus looked after this for years, and then Ryanair came in and competed - shut the route down not long afterwards.

Could be other reasons now but that's what happened

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »

Pretty sure they did this with the Cork - Dublin flight. Aer lingus looked after this for years, and then Ryanair came in and competed - shut the route down not long afterwards.

You’re right but it was Aer Aran not Aer Lingus. A similar trend was seen when Wizz air used to serve numours routes from Cork, which surprise surprise no longer exist now after Wizz pulled out after Ryanair went head to head

• Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

flexcon wrote: »

Ryainair ran Cork - Dublin about 10 years ago.

The opening of the full motorway from Cork to Dublin made the air route less attractive so I think it shut around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Ryainair ran Cork - Dublin about 10 years ago.

The opening of the full motorway from Cork to Dublin made the air route less attractive so I think it shut around then.

Indeed Ryanair did and I used that service on more than once occasion. IIRC, a number of these were positioning flights opened up to Pax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭serfboard

In the instance of Knock/ Gatwick, easyJet pulled the route once Ryanair joined, as it wasn’t sustainable and once easyJet pulled out so did Ryanair, leaving the route entirely unserved for years after.
    In fairness, Aer Lingus have been flying Knock to Gatwick for at least the past seven years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yeeessss to some of this but I can't believe DUB-MAN on premier league fridays and saturdays would not be a huge moneymaker for all concerned, look at the flight costs - typically 300 when theres a match on, back down to 60-100 otherwise.

Also look at Riga and Tallinn atm for the summer, huge prices. It can't always be about driving out the competition, sometimes new entrants need protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ryanair axed ORK-DUB in 2011. Been mentioned here many times that EI Regional may have a market here again, especially with more Transatlantic routes nowadays but still nothing.Personally, I think a twice daily ATR 42-600 would be profitable but obviously EI Regional believe they can make more money elsewhere. Also worth mentioning that DUB-KIR is being operated by the ATR 72-600 at the moment,upgrade from the ATR 42, then again this is a PSO route.

Regarding Easyjet, or any LCC re-entering the Irish market, I don't see it happening it. Not only Ryanair as already mentioned but EI & EI Regional also have a low cost base, so plenty competition that would treat any new LCC with contempt

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

trellheim wrote: »
    Yeeessss to some of this but I can't believe DUB-MAN on premier league fridays and saturdays would not be a huge moneymaker for all concerned, look at the flight costs - typically 300 when theres a match on, back down to 60-100 otherwise.

Also look at Riga and Tallinn atm for the summer, huge prices. It can't always be about driving out the competition, sometimes new entrants need protection
    DUB-MAN is well covered by both Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

If easyJet entered the market Ryanair would cut fares on existing flights and introduce additional ones at rock bottom prices. easyJet would make no money from it and then cancel the flight.

serfboard wrote: »
    In the instance of Knock/ Gatwick, easyJet pulled the route once Ryanair joined, as it wasn’t sustainable and once easyJet pulled out so did Ryanair, leaving the route entirely unserved for years after.
    In fairness, Aer Lingus have been flying Knock to Gatwick for at least the past seven years.
    Yes thank god! That Flight is a life saver for me

DUB-MAN is well covered by both Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

If easyJet entered the market Ryanair would cut fares on existing flights and introduce additional ones at rock bottom prices. easyJet would make no money from it and then cancel the flight.

Yes I am well aware it is, commuted on it for a long time. DUB-MAN is persistently high fares ( Ha! the Low Fares Airline) though on both carriers at Prem League fixture dates.
    Its not difficult to see why, its pure gravy and a model for more competition.

That is little reason to just say "Fortress Dublin" and have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I would like to see easyjet in with the 319's to be in competiton with Flybe to Ireland on certain routes... places where Ryanair have too big a plane... Southampton/Newquay for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

arccosh wrote: »
    I would like to see easyjet in with the 319's to be in competiton with Flybe to Ireland on certain routes... places where Ryanair have too big a plane... Southampton/Newquay for example

Doesnt Flybe not already fly on this route? So it wouldnt make much money for either of them.

Just like when Aer Lingus has tried to fly on the DUB LPL route Ryanair quickly piled on extra flights and dumped seats at rock bottom prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If easyJet saw an achieveable market in Dublin, they'd be in immediately. However, entering a country extremely loyal to it's 2 homegrown airlines (Aer Lingus and Ryanair) will not be easy, especially when you'll inevitably face compeition from one of them. You'd really want to fly from an airport Ryanair doesn't fly to at all (for whatever reason), and that there's no current compeition on.

With Ryanair being well known and an airline many Irish people are actually proud of, as well as being well known in the UK, easyJet would have a hard time fighting them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Would not Knock airport have been better off not allowing Ryanair in on the Gatwick route, if they had known they would come in simply to knock out easyjet and then vanish again? And would the airport have the power to do this if they could?

dogmatix wrote: »
    Would not Knock airport have been better off not allowing Ryanair in on the Gatwick route, if they had known they would come in simply to knock out easyjet and then vanish again? And would the airport have the power to do this if they could?

How do they not allow them to go on the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I don’t know – that’s what I’m wondering.

What I mean is: Say Airline A is running a route to a certain destination from your airport. Suddenly Airline B (with a certain reputation regarding competition) comes in on the same route with cheaper prices. The airport suspects they were just doing this to drive away a competitor, and then Airline B would vanish from the route as soon as Airline A retreats. So now they have a lost a route out of the airport. Would it not be in their interest to deny Airline B access on the route – assuming the airport had the power/rights to do so?

I don't know if Knock airport had suspected this would happen, or even if that particular route was going to be viable in the long term.

• Advertisement

well knock can refuse the business I suppose. Its a business like any other you dont have to take business you dont want .

I'm not sure they can refuse, and even if they did, they'd be saying bye bye to the rest of Ryanairs routes from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Offering new route incentives to actually new routes, not new airlines on old routes, is the main tactic to reduce this sort of stuff. Means the price dumping airline have an even more significant cost to overcome

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Waterford and Sligo to Newquay area. Surfers and others would use it flights Friday evening and Sunday evenings would be good

ted1 wrote: »
    Waterford and Sligo to Newquay area. Surfers and others would use it flights Friday evening and Sunday evenings would be good

Sounds like you'd be taking a very small niche there and I really don't think it would work. Firstly easyJet aircraft can't operate from those airports!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd be taking a very small niche there and I really don't think it would work. Firstly easyJet aircraft can't operate from those airports!

Agree re Waterford. There would be no issues with Newquay, the runway there is not restricting for short haul twin jets, it's longer than the main runway at Dublin, so well capable of taking long haul if necessary.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Agree re Waterford. There would be no issues with Newquay, the runway there is not restricting for short haul twin jets, it's longer than the main runway at Dublin, so well capable of taking long haul if necessary.

Ah yes, no problems at Newquay, when I said "those" I meant Sligo and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

What is it about the mindset in this country when a tiny place like Newquay can have a runway longer than the main one at our Nations capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

kub wrote: »
    What is it about the mindset in this country when a tiny place like Newquay can have a runway longer than the main one at our Nations capital?

I don’t know about Newquay in particular, but a lot of UK airports are former RAF bases, so the runway may not reflect the traffic they accommodate or hope to, but rather the military aircraft they used to (and in some cases continue to) service.

Edit: Just checked Wikipedia, their runway is 107m longer than 10/28 at Dublin, and it was indeed formerly an RAF base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

kub wrote: »

The length of 10/28 was artificially stunted to prevent it taking traffic from Shannon.

Advertisement