Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryanstown Manor Drogheda - Advice on buying a house

Options
  • 10-06-2018 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

I am looking for an advice on Bryanstown Manor, Drogheda especially from families that have been living in this area. I found very old posts with not a lot of information so decided to post a new thread. I really appreciate any advice people can offer.

We viewed a house in Bryanstown manor last weekend and very interested in it. We are a family with 2 kids - 2 year old and a newborn and currently living in Dublin City. We both work in the city - IFSC and Stephens Green. I have the following questions so please bear with me.

1. The house is 10 mins walk to Drogheda train station so it's a very convenient walk and therefore it makes sense to get the train. We need to be at our desks at 9am. So we will be aiming for a 7.15 train (enterprise express). However we have to take into account the time it takes to drop our kids to the creche before one of us head to the train station. If we enroll our kids to a creche in the neighborhood that opens at 7am, how realistic is it that we can make it to our desks on time? Have people experienced difficulties in this regard?

2. In 4-5 years time we would like to send our kids to Aston Village Educate together hopefully if we get seats. Educate together seems to be on the north side ~ 6kms from Bryanstown. It probably means we would need to book someone in for doing the school runs for our kids. Is this more common in the area and is this school oversubscribed? I am also interested in thoughts on St Mary's Parish Primary school as it is right next door?

3. We don't mind being on the train for an hour or so (each side) as long as we can get seats to sit. We love to read or work while on the move. How crowded are the trains before 8am?

4. We are not looking at this house as just an investment. This is where we would like to raise our kids and we would like to view it as our permanent residence for a very long time. We want our kids to go to colleges in Dublin and we don't want our kids to blame us for the long commutes to Dublin in the future. I know this can change as the transportation links from Drogheda to Dublin will only get better (this is what I've been told by the estate agent) in the years to come. For now are there people living in this area (or in Drogheda in general) who have their kids doing this commute to Dublin Colleges and how do they find it?

5. Lastly we noticed there are quite a few rental properties in Bryanstown. Our guess is there is a train station close by and a lot of the people who live here could be commuters to Dublin. We absolutely don't mind this as we ourselves have been renting for years now however I'd like to make sure there are no red alerts as such.

I really appreciate peoples responses to the above questions and it will help us make an informed decision. Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

There is an educate together school called le ceile on the southside. Has a great reputation. St Mary's also has a good rep and will be right beside you.

Bryanstown is in a lovely area by the way.

There are a few creches around you so i imagine you'd be fine once you're at the creche at 7 when it opens but I never got the train so someone else would be better to answer that

And most people who go to college from Drogheda would have commuted to either Dublin or dundalk, dont see a problem there. A guy where i work has recently moved from Donegal to Drogheda solely so his kids can commute to college in Dublin as rents are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ClaireSh

IvoryTower wrote: »
    There is an educate together school called le ceile on the southside. Has a great reputation. St Mary's also has a good rep and will be right beside you.

Bryanstown is in a lovely area by the way.

There are a few creches around you so i imagine you'd be fine once you're at the creche at 7 when it opens but I never got the train so someone else would be better to answer that

Thanks very much for your response IvoryTower. We felt Bryanstown is a very nice area alright and its great to get it confirmed by someone who is from there. Nice to know people from both sides of Drogheda have access to good schools. How easier or difficult is it to get seats in both le ceile etns and St Mary's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ClaireSh

IvoryTower wrote: »
    And most people who go to college from Drogheda would have commuted to either Dublin or dundalk, dont see a problem there. A guy where i work has recently moved from Donegal to Drogheda solely so his kids can commute to college in Dublin as rents are insane.

Or we might have Ireland's best college built in Drogheda in the next few years. You never know. Thanks for the insights once again. Since how long have you been living in Drogheda?

We applied for le ceile this year and our son starts in Sept,our nephew applied for st Mary's last year and he starts in Sept this year. I don't think there's any issue once you apply early enough and live locally

I'm from a village outside of Drogheda but live in the town itself 17 years. I've lived in Meadowview, Rosevale, Martello village and now Dublin road. All lovely places to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Have you got family and friends there who could provide back up for you in the area, putting children into a creche at 7 am and having an almost two-hour commute would mean 12 hours a day in a creche?. It sounds very difficult no matter how nice the area is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eric the king

ClaireSh wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for an advice on Bryanstown Manor, Drogheda especially from families that have been living in this area. I found very old posts with not a lot of information so decided to post a new thread. I really appreciate any advice people can offer.

We viewed a house in Bryanstown manor last weekend and very interested in it. We are a family with 2 kids - 2 year old and a newborn and currently living in Dublin City. We both work in the city - IFSC and Stephens Green. I have the following questions so please bear with me.

1. The house is 10 mins walk to Drogheda train station so it's a very convenient walk and therefore it makes sense to get the train. We need to be at our desks at 9am. So we will be aiming for a 7.15 train (enterprise express). However we have to take into account the time it takes to drop our kids to the creche before one of us head to the train station. If we enroll our kids to a creche in the neighborhood that opens at 7am, how realistic is it that we can make it to our desks on time? Have people experienced difficulties in this regard?

2. In 4-5 years time we would like to send our kids to Aston Village Educate together hopefully if we get seats. Educate together seems to be on the north side ~ 6kms from Bryanstown. It probably means we would need to book someone in for doing the school runs for our kids. Is this more common in the area and is this school oversubscribed? I am also interested in thoughts on St Mary's Parish Primary school as it is right next door?

3. We don't mind being on the train for an hour or so (each side) as long as we can get seats to sit. We love to read or work while on the move. How crowded are the trains before 8am?

4. We are not looking at this house as just an investment. This is where we would like to raise our kids and we would like to view it as our permanent residence for a very long time. We want our kids to go to colleges in Dublin and we don't want our kids to blame us for the long commutes to Dublin in the future. I know this can change as the transportation links from Drogheda to Dublin will only get better (this is what I've been told by the estate agent) in the years to come. For now are there people living in this area (or in Drogheda in general) who have their kids doing this commute to Dublin Colleges and how do they find it?

5. Lastly we noticed there are quite a few rental properties in Bryanstown. Our guess is there is a train station close by and a lot of the people who live here could be commuters to Dublin. We absolutely don't mind this as we ourselves have been renting for years now however I'd like to make sure there are no red alerts as such.

I really appreciate peoples responses to the above questions and it will help us make an informed decision. Thanks a mil.

Hi Claire my wife and I are living in Bryanstown Manor 3 and a half years and it's a really nice place to live and although we have no kids ouselves it's very family friendly. Similar to yourselves we were living near the city centre but decided to buy further out when rents started going crazy. Regards the train I get the 7:36 most mornings to an office beside Tara street and it's extremely rare I'm not at my desk by quarter to or 10 to 9. The Belfast express at 8:22 is due to be in connolly by 8:58 but is regularly delayed by 10/15 mins. Absolutely no problem getting 2 seats together on the 7:12 or 7:36 train in Drogheda but usually only standing room on the 8:22. I get the 5:16 train home from Tara street and seats are usually scarce so unless you have a brass neck like some people do you will be standing until you reach skerries.. but saying that if you walked to pearse station where most of the trains start you will get a seat. Can't help with many of the other questions but shout if you need to know anything else about the estate or area around it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ikayp

Thank you all for the responses from everyone who's still helping until now and sorry for butting in years later! I'm also looking into an apartment in one of the duplexes in Bryanstown, but currently putting me off is the damp issues I've read in other, older threads. As someone who's currently living in Bryanstown, do you know any friends who leave in the downstairs apartment duplex who have similar issues? Thanks again very much!

Advertisement