Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

Cigarettes have gone up another 50 cent in today's budget. That's €11 now for a packet of 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

After 26 years I finally decided to quit. I actually made the decision months ago, set myself a date and quit. I'm now 12 days without them.

I went cold turkey with only regular chewing gum to assist me. So far its working.

I've attempted to quit before and failed. The only difference now though is that I genuinely want to quit and am determined never to smoke again.
    Its tough enough at times but when I feel the need for a cigarette I eat a chewing gum. It usually passes after a minute or two.

I loved smoking but the irony is I wish id never started in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Give up rollies 16 days ago, I'm vaping, then the plan is to change to the Nicorette inhaler then weave myself of that. Keep strong people.

TheTorment wrote: »
    After 26 years I finally decided to quit. I actually made the decision months ago, set myself a date and quit. I'm now 12 days without them.

I went cold turkey with only regular chewing gum to assist me. So far its working.

I've attempted to quit before and failed. The only difference now though is that I genuinely want to quit and am determined never to smoke again.
    Its tough enough at times but when I feel the need for a cigarette I eat a chewing gum. It usually passes after a minute or two.

I loved smoking but the irony is I wish id never started in the first place.

Still going strong!! Id be lying if I said that Im over them. There isn't a day that goes passed that I don't think about having one...but I've not given in.
    I don't feel any better either!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Off them since 1st January 2015. Never going back (hopefully)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 baekadelah

Quit today after nearly ten years because my lungs began to shut down and if I hadnt of been fed up with the cold I had keeping me awake and made the appointment to see the doctor this morning to get rid of it, he said I could have died.

I decided to quit about 3 days or so ago and this was like a kick in the arse to actually keep it up. Going cold turkey, because everything else didn't work for me with previous attempts.

Can feel the habit's presence still if you get me. I finished eating something and automatically went to grab a box of rollies where they'd normally be but I ****ed everything smoke related in the bin yesterday. Apparently orange juice is good for cravings, and as soon as I'm better I'll continue with GYM stuff to keep my mind off the fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

baekadelah wrote: »
    Quit today after nearly ten years because my lungs began to shut down and if I hadnt of been fed up with the cold I had keeping me awake and made the appointment to see the doctor this morning to get rid of it, he said I could have died.

I decided to quit about 3 days or so ago and this was like a kick in the arse to actually keep it up. Going cold turkey, because everything else didn't work for me with previous attempts.

Can feel the habit's presence still if you get me. I finished eating something and automatically went to grab a box of rollies where they'd normally be but I ****ed everything smoke related in the bin yesterday. Apparently orange juice is good for cravings, and as soon as I'm better I'll continue with GYM stuff to keep my mind off the fags.

Do you mind me askin what age ye are? best of luck, im waking up each morning feeling so horrible its that time again for me i think

Do you mind me askin what age ye are? best of luck, im waking up each morning feeling so horrible its that time again for me i think

I'm 26 in 5 days, that's probably what scared me the most.
    Waking up past few months my nose has been badly congested and it was all a lead up to lungs deciding to log off.

You can do it! I don't feel good yet and I've hallucinated a rollie pack beside me But getting there.

It's Christmas Eve and I'm off them exactly 6 years now. Delighted with muself! :D

Happy Christmas everyone and good luck to you all. :)

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    It's Christmas Eve and I'm off them exactly 6 years now. Delighted with muself! :D

Happy Christmas everyone and good luck to you all. :)

Did the forum help?

baekadelah wrote: »
    Did the forum help?

I'm not sure. i think I just gone off them myself before I joined here. I went cold turkey on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starting into my 6th year as a non-smoker had to believe I have gone 5 years without one I didn't think I last 5 days let alone 5 years.

Best of luck to those you are starting today you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Im 11 days in but on an e-cig. Still finding it a little hard. Temptation is never far way. Apart from my wife and daughter,who are backing me all the way, my social circle is full of "never smoked" and smokers. I have nobody around me that has recently quit. This makes it harder. I just wish I could talk to someone else in a similar position to me.

Im 28 days off the fags cold turkey as of today.

Its still difficult, but craving only happens once a day now if even. Otherwise I dont think about them at all. First 2 weeks were hard. But I can be around people who smoke, but not in the smoking area because of what it did to my lungs as I said in a few posts ago.

Airwaves chewing gum has been amazing help. Feels similar to smoking and the crave passes within a minute or so. Have two and distract yourself.

Going out drinking this weekend for the first time since I quit. I know I wont smoke, but this is going to still be the ultimate test.

Good luck to everyone. Try the airwaves chewing gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

4 years off them in February!

You can do it guy's!

My body's starting to feel REALLY rotten when i wake up, Im only just about 30. I skipped my first one of the day earlier but it takes a split second for me to flip mentally, and go '**** it'

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Hiya. I stopped smoking on 1st January 2010. Haven't touched one since. The first year was hard... But all good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'm almost 3 months into vaping and have not had a cigarette nor have I wanted one - I understand that I am still addicted to nicotine but I feel so much better and no doubt smell a lot better too.... I've 'given up' lot of times before but this time something has just clicked in my brain - I'm not at all tempted to spark up & have had the opportunity whereas on previous attempts it was playing on my mind a lot. I'm not sure what the difference is this time but I do have an app on my phone that's telling me how much I'm saving and that is a wonderful motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is a pure addiction, I am off of them a full year now, and still have the cravings, hard work, but I do not feel more energised,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm off them 8 and a half months and I don't miss them at all.
    I only used the vape sparingly during the first two weeks of quitting, then stopped using that too.

No cravings at all.
    Cannot STAND the smell of smoke now.
    Dead proud of myself. Was smoking for 16 years.
    It is a total mind game. If you want to give up, you will. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Posted here before on this subject but am off a 30-40 a day habit for 6 years now thanks to vaping. Nearly €40,000 saved. I started to drop a nicotine level per month starting at my 5th year Vaping anniversary in August. Easy Peasy. By Christmas I was Vaping Zero Nic Juice. By February I had been happily off nicotine for over 2 months. Well and truly gone from my system and any physical or mental addiction to nicotine non existent.

I ran out of Zero Nic juice in February and decided it was as good a time as any to give up the Babies Soother called my Vape.

I was crawling the walls within an hour!!!! :O

Turns out that my Babies Soother analogy was actually incredibly accurate. I was heavily psychologically addicted to the hand to mouth and inhalation actions of vaping/smoking. Way more so than the nicotine. I never missed the nicotine as I dropped levels and even when I went to zero nic juice. Not being able to reach for my vape when posting on the internet or watching TV or having a chat. TORTURE!!!

To put it into perspective. I've been doing Multiday Water and Electrolyte fasting for weight loss and curing insulin & Leptin resistance. My last fast was 5 days long. That was magnitudes easier than putting down my Vape for more than an hour.

So I would say to Cold Turkey vape or Cig quitters, its the hand/mouth stuff you really need to worry about. You aren't craving nicotine, you're craving the hand/mouth actions. Don't give in and go back to nicotine vaping or smoking. Either go back or to Zero Nic Vaping if you absolutely must but try reminding yourself of this fact. The real issue is you are an adult addicted to a babies soother. Seriously, Try sucking on an empty Bic biro or something and roll it in your hand while on the internet or in work. Don't let a Babies Soother control you!!

Haven't taken my own advice yet though. Went back to nicotine vaping while I fast to hit my healthy goal weight. Sharper mind, appetite suppressant and something for my hands and mouth to do during the boredom of fasting. I've no fear of dropping back through the nic levels back to zero this time though when the fasting is done. Thats when I'll make a concerted effort to finally get off the Babies Soother too.

Calibos wrote: »
    Posted here before on this subject but am off a 30-40 a day habit for 6 years now thanks to vaping. Nearly €40,000 saved. I started to drop a nicotine level per month starting at my 5th year Vaping anniversary in August. Easy Peasy. By Christmas I was Vaping Zero Nic Juice. By February I had been happily off nicotine for over 2 months. Well and truly gone from my system and any physical or mental addiction to nicotine non existent.

I ran out of Zero Nic juice in February and decided it was as good a time as any to give up the Babies Soother called my Vape.

I was crawling the walls within an hour!!!! :O

Turns out that my Babies Soother analogy was actually incredibly accurate. I was heavily psychologically addicted to the hand to mouth and inhalation actions of vaping/smoking. Way more so than the nicotine. I never missed the nicotine as I dropped levels and even when I went to zero nic juice. Not being able to reach for my vape when posting on the internet or watching TV or having a chat. TORTURE!!!

To put it into perspective. I've been doing Multiday Water and Electrolyte fasting for weight loss and curing insulin & Leptin resistance. My last fast was 5 days long. That was magnitudes easier than putting down my Vape for more than an hour.

So I would say to Cold Turkey vape or Cig quitters, its the hand/mouth stuff you really need to worry about. You aren't craving nicotine, you're craving the hand/mouth actions. Don't give in and go back to nicotine vaping or smoking. Either go back or to Zero Nic Vaping if you absolutely must but try reminding yourself of this fact. The real issue is you are an adult addicted to a babies soother. Seriously, Try sucking on an empty Bic biro or something and roll it in your hand while on the internet or in work. Don't let a Babies Soother control you!!

Haven't taken my own advice yet though. Went back to nicotine vaping while I fast to hit my healthy goal weight. Sharper mind, appetite suppressant and something for my hands and mouth to do during the boredom of fasting. I've no fear of dropping back through the nic levels back to zero this time though when the fasting is done. Thats when I'll make a concerted effort to finally get off the Babies Soother too.

Zero nic juice, I'd actually never heard of that. I'll have to try vaping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

I'm on day 15 cold turkey. I'm not a nice person to be around these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wexford96 wrote: »
    I'm on day 15 cold turkey. I'm not a nice person to be around these days.

It passes, just persist through :)

Another thing that helps is not counting the days.
    I just had to do a calculation there to see how long I'm off them, nearly 4 months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Off them 58 days today. Staying away from beer for 6 months until Im off fags a little longer. 
    Strangely, I'm finding my second month very hard. 
    Days 1-30 for me weren't bad. 
    Days 30-40 I was moody.
    Days 40-58 I've been a total monster.
    Was on 40 a day, now zero. 
    Hoping the madness will go away soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

OK, I'm 1 week off Nicotine and I think I'm ok.

I've been vaping since 2011, got sick earlier this year and was told to give up smoking/vaping. I went from 15-20 Blue a day since 1989 to 18mg e-liquid in June 2011. 18mg nic vaping has been a constant.

Anyways in April I started mixing my 18mg nic 2 week bottle of e-liquid with zero nic juice when it got to half full. So every 10-14 days I reduced the strength by half until it was fractions of a mg until last week when I finally went zero mg nicotine. I'm still vaping but it's zero nic. Last hurdle is losing the ecig.

It really was piss easy so far. To echo what Calibos mentioned pulling on the ecig cures whatever urge I have. Never thought the psychological side of things would affect me like this. The frequency is becoming less and less each day though. The first couple of days after the by half nic reduction was a little ropey but each reduction got easier as the weeks went on. The drop to zero wasn't bad. Felt strange a couple of times but it was short lived and went after a few days.

My plan is to give it max 2 weeks to dump the ecig altogether. I'm afraid to dump it too soon in case it gets too tough and I reach for some nicotine. Any advice? Anyone do it similar to the above. I'm so close but it seems too easy. Sorry about the long post btw! :D

Update. I'm 100% off nicotine and all is ok except I still need to take a drag out of the ecig now and again. It's zero nic juice!! The psychological addiction is whacky and something I never thought I'd suffer this bad. It could be an hour before I take a drag in morning and it's only because something reminds me of it. When I do remember, that mad panic sets in for a few seconds but it will go even if I just pick up and hold the ecig. Mad!!

Anyways, I'm taking a drag 4/5 times a day at this stage. Hopefully by this time next week I can get close to whole days without. I know it seems like I'm dragging it out but the long game has worked a charm so far. It's been pretty much painless which is insane. Went to the pub at the weekend. Had a right few pints and something to eat. I probably had 2 drags the whole night and for most of the night I was OK if I was just holding it! :p

2 days without touching the ecig and I think that's it!! :)

I've zero urge now only a few split second reminders, that disappear as quick as they come, like getting into the car or going to sit down with the laptop. That slight panicky crazy feeling that I was getting for a few seconds last week is totally gone just the reminder that I should pick up the ecig at certain times.

Looking back now at the last few months it's been piss easy. No part of it was really tough or a struggle.

Dayum! I'm actually off fcukin smokes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Im 11 days in but on an e-cig. Still finding it a little hard. Temptation is never far way. Apart from my wife and daughter,who are backing me all the way, my social circle is full of "never smoked" and smokers. I have nobody around me that has recently quit. This makes it harder. I just wish I could talk to someone else in a similar position to me.

I posted the above in January last year. I failed a mere 3 days afterwards and went back on the smokes. WTF I was thinking, I don't know. I'm back now to say that I'm 5 weeks off the smokes and on an E-Cig. The urge for a real cig is easing week by week, but I still require will power at certain times. My motivators are health (my morning cough is gone) money and my daughter who I have promised. I feel better emotionally and physically. I'm on the 18ml nicotine juice, but not sure at what point I should start making my way downwards and ultimately quitting the E-Cig.

Advertisement