Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Island Tour

Options
  • 13-07-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭

I finally got a chance to go on the Spike Island Tour last weekend, what a gem.

The weather was great which added to it, but the history, sights were brilliant. It really is a must see and enjoyable 3.5 hours.

I found it probably more interesting than Alcatraz. Anyone else been and what they thought?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ocallaghan12

I was there last Sunday, the weather was fantastic so that was a bonus. Very interesting alright and we really enjoyed it and would recommend it to everyone. Word of advice to people who want to go is pre book online as we saw people just arriving and being turned away as it was booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

It's good, but pre book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was there last year. Was brilliant. But would have liked more time to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was out there with work a few weeks back and its was interesting.

I'd definitely recommend it if the weather is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

heading there on the weekend, just booked
    I've done Alcatraz so looking forward to this one aswell
    Fingers crossed for the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is there a cheaper option to get out there, I have three kids over the age of 12, so apparently have to pay adult rate, that 5 * €18 = €90 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey Enigma - no there isn't but once there you can be there for hours - and you could bring your own picnic - so there's really a day's entertainment for you and the kids. Between the boat trip across the harbour, the sites, the actual tour etc. it's just fantastic. J

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did the tour last Sunday
    you just get 3.5hrs, no more
    If you miss your boat on the return you have to wait for the last boat at 6:30 with staff to return
    That's the negative
    Saying this because we could have done with more time to wander about
    We got lucky with the weather but if its a wet day, I wouldn't fancy it
    Other than that, really recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Did the tour on Saturday it was fab, sun was shining, it's a great tour. Would recommend

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

use to go to spike island in the 70s as my father was working on there,
    There was even a few families still living on the Island, and the old buildings, underground spots were magical for a kid like me.

I always remember the cats, there was hundreds of wild feral cats on the island at the time, which were obviously stuck on the island and remember one tomcat looking more aggressive than any dog I had seen.

Its a beautiful place, which lost a lot of its feel when the prison was built and a lot of the old barracks building removed, but will always be worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is there a cheaper option to get out there, I have three kids over the age of 12, so apparently have to pay adult rate, that 5 * €18 = €90 !!

About time they started earning a wage so.

Strange they wouldn't do it for something reasonable, a package, a student rate or something. €90 is a big ball of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Typical Ireland, milk you as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

did the Spike Island tour yday - twas absolutely brilliant - but defo wanna go back - 3.5 hrs is not long enough.. there is sooo much to read in the museums.. there is soo much to learn... not just about the prison but about the harbour itself.. and periods of history steming from the 1800's right up to present day..

the staff wer great - so enthusiastic - they obv love their job.. they told some v fascinating stories.. wanna know more..

the scenery is great too - we wer lucky to have good weather

went with 4 mates and we had great craic too

Cobh was hopping too - its really v beautiful there on a sunny day - got some class pics from around the town..

I highly recommend it for anyone who has not already done it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

Highly recommend. As others have said 3.5hrs is not enough, could have done with another 2 hrs. Food there is good too and reasonably priced I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ferry over and back, tour and amazing sights. €18 for that is great value, admittedly when you are paying for a few people it adds up but still great value. People here mentioned Alcatraz - that is substantially more expensive. $40+ for a single ticket over 12 years old for the most basic 2 hour tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was there the year before last and really enjoyed it. I agree that 3.5 hours is to little. There was not the option to stay longer when we were there but this may have changed. I probably would eat before you go or bring food with you as the restaurant had a limited enough selection (or did when we were there). I would suggest if someone has trouble walking up hills that they take the bus that meets you by boat. A couple of people in our group struggled a bit with the hill.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has anyone done the After Dark tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

Went to the Blasket Islands recently. €35 each for the ferry (15/20 minutes) and 1 hour guided tour. I'd agree €18 for Spike Island is very good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would recommend also.

Very accommodating workers. Id deffo stay for the wee guided tour, as the guide we had (John?? ) was great craic, and is a great storyteller (typical corkonian :) )

Lots to see there. Cobh is beautiful too ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

We "done" it on Friday last week and weather was so bad, so bad I was asking was it safe, but credit to those old metal boats they don't move too much even in that weather, but the captain tried twice to dock but couldn't so returned back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I have done the After Dark Tour (did it twice, one was a normal After Dark tour while the second had one of the authors of "The Ship of Seven Murders" do a little talk in the middle about her book), the Behind The Scenes tour and day tour on numerous occasions.

Definitely worth it as both bring you to places that are not open during the day tour (considered too scary for kids).

But at the same time the day tour allows you to other places that is not possible to fit into the After Dark and Behind the Scenes tour.

Advertisement