Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lisgoold

my apologies

next one , he was once plowing a field when a cousin of my mothers came into the tractor with him . this man was dying for months but asked my father to be with him that evening . My father jumped off the tractor and headed to the hospital , prayed with him all night , he passed away the next morning.

he once had a falling out with his family , he went to feed his horses , each put their necks around his , and gave him a hug ,

these horses could kill with a single kick , yet they felt his pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

lisgoold wrote: »
    he once had a falling out with his family , he went to feed his horses , each put their necks around his , and gave him a hug ,

these horses could kill with a single kick , yet they felt his pain

My horses do that regularly, don't think it's anything paranormal or creepy.

Also instead of loads of little posts, maybe could you put everything into a single post, makes it easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

https://www.google.ie/amp/hauntedauckland.com/site/maldron-hotel-cork-ireland/amp/

Might be mentioned earlier in the thread . Stay there if your into paranormal and ghosts ectetra. It used to be the North Infirmary. I'm a skeptic but stay there it's like being in a movie . Any feedback from people who stayed there would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I compiled a book of ghost stories I've collected down the years and it's been gathering dust for some time now.
    Some creepy stuff went on in Ireland, in the old days at least.
    Is there a market for a book on Ghostly happenings in modern Ireland I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

DanMurphy wrote:
    I compiled a book of ghost stories I've collected down the years and it's been gathering dust for some time now. Some creepy stuff went on in Ireland, in the old days at least. Is there a market for a book on Ghostly happenings in modern Ireland I wonder?

It's funny you should ask.
    Just yesterday there, I was searching for the most haunted places in Ireland.
    I know that there are plenty but I haven't really taken interest before.

I was watching all kinds of videos on YouTube and judging by all the channels on there and their following + the amount of threads here, I'd say people (some, not all) will always be interested in that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LiamOKW

DanMurphy wrote: »
    I compiled a book of ghost stories I've collected down the years and it's been gathering dust for some time now.
    Some creepy stuff went on in Ireland, in the old days at least.
    Is there a market for a book on Ghostly happenings in modern Ireland I wonder?

Yeah, I actually have a book or two with old ghost stories from Ireland.

There IS a market, how big, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

LiamOKW wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually have a book or two with old ghost stories from Ireland.

There IS a market, how big, I've no idea.

Where would I pick one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LiamOKW

Where would I pick one up?

I got both of mine off of Amazon (While looking I've found more that I'll look into), one was titled "True Irish Ghost Stories" and the other was Harry Price's "Poltergeist: Tales of the Supernatural"

A note on Harry Price's books though, they're expensive (For a book) at around 20 euro and they're difficult enough to find.

Kamili wrote: »
    My horses do that regularly, don't think it's anything paranormal or creepy.

Also instead of loads of little posts, maybe could you put everything into a single post, makes it easier to read.

done , with it now , thanks Kamili , I had plenty more to share

• Advertisement

I must tidy up the stories and get them edited before approaching a publisher.
    'Tis worth a go anyway.
    What's to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I must tidy up the stories and get them edited before approaching a publisher.
    'Tis worth a go anyway.
    What's to lose?

Its great fun collecting and editing ghost stories, but I wouldn't do if if you want to make money

maccored wrote: »
    Its great fun collecting and editing ghost stories, but I wouldn't do if if you want to make money

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

unfortunately I have none. Ive three ghost story books out through the history press with a fourth currently being worked on, but they approached me about it so I couldn't tell you how to go about getting a publisher. All i can say for certain is there's really very, very little money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cjpm20

Our personal experience with a spirit that won't move on, he wants his story told.

Vincent.

Vincent was a tortured soul, he lived a tragic life met a brutal untimely end and was tortorted for over a hundred years he couldn't move on to the light. Vincent wants people to know his story.
    Vincent was born in Galway Ireland circa 1889, little is known about Vincent's early life but it is understood that he had very little contact with family if any at all. It is thought the only person he was in contact with was an Aunt she tried her best to support her in her own way. Vincent suffered at the hands of priests, perhaps at a very early age and had terrible demons to deal with as a result, Vincent felt this terrible burden and had very bad social and anger issues as a result. Vincent felt ostracised and ended up living on the outskirts of town in a shack beside a quarry, he was a social outcast unable to get on with people, with a volatile personality and raging temper. Vincent got into many scuffles and confrontations in his life, he could just not socially interact and often flew off the handle and ended up fighting, Vincent was known as "the mad fella".
    Things hot worse for Vincent and he ended up very frustrated constantly in a rage and fighting with people. Circa 1911 a dispute arose with Vincent and local land owners, his abode was in the way expansion of the quarry, he was told he had to move on and got into a rage and may have taken a man's life, things got from bad to worse for Vincent and he ended up being brutally bet to death by 2 or 3 more men. Vincent's body was discarded in a local bog and he was forgotten by locals and all that knew him.
    Vincent couldn't move on he wants people to know his story, he wants people to know "what they done to him" the priests and land owners ruined his life.

Its 2018 Vincent has suffered enough we'd like to help Vincent move to the light and let go. We want Vincent to first forgive himself then find the power to forgive the people who done wrong to him. I'm asking for healing and positive energy to help Vincent with his journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

how you write is how you write, if your readers are lazy that's their problem, share your stories in the way that you speak

pointelle wrote: »
    how you write is how you write, if your readers are lazy that's their problem, share your stories in the way that you speak

oh i can't use the quote feature but I was addressing you Lisgoold :)

I have followed this thread on and off for years , always found it interesting . tried to share , but was shot down .

lisgoold wrote: »
    I have followed this thread on and off for years , always found it interesting . tried to share , but was shot down .

well I read your stuff! Continue, some schlub writing something shouldn't stop you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Copal

i have a part time job in a shop there in town, and a few weeks ago i had a very strange experience.

in the morning i heard my boss on the phone discussing something about a funeral, thought nothing of it and carried on working away. later on that day i ran down to the tesco right down the road to grab a drink, and when i came back my colleague told me to go up the stairs and give the boss a hand with something. now in this shop there was a big iron fixture wedged in between the walls at the top of the stairs just below the ceiling, it was used for holding bits and bobs, it turned out this big iron sheet had fallen down, making a mess of the wall and of course dropping tons of ****e down the stairs. as i was giving the boss a hand tidying up, he told me that the iron had been propped up there for over 40 years, and had never fallen. he then went on to tell me that he was just on the phone that morning to the welder who made it for him and gave a hand putting it up, and turns out his wife had died the night before.

could be just a coincidence but i got a good chill when he told me that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think the shooting down thing was aimed at me.
    to clarify I was not shooting anyone down, I was simply saying lots of one line posts in the thread within minutes or each other are difficult to read.

I had suggested keeping the one line posts in one and writing a longer one, its easier to read and people don't get several new post notifications for one liner posts that could all be in one.

Apologies if you think that was shooting you down, its not.

I heard somewhere while researching this subject that people most likely to 'see' paranormal activity, are those born at the stroke of midnight, OR, those whose father had passed away in the months before their birth.

This could of course be an old wives tale, and not a common opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

Also, it is unlikely that more than one person can 'see' a ghost at the same time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I heard somewhere while researching this subject that people most likely to 'see' paranormal activity, are those born at the stroke of midnight, OR, those whose father had passed away in the months before their birth.

This could of course be an old wives tale, and not a common opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

Also, it is unlikely that more than one person can 'see' a ghost at the same time!

I was born at 3:30pm, I won't be seeing anything so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I heard somewhere while researching this subject that people most likely  to 'see' paranormal activity, are those born at the stroke of midnight, OR, those whose father had passed away in the months before their birth.

This could of course be an old wives tale, and not a common  opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

Think thats just some saying, had multiple experiences stating the opposite of it and also know of people where this doesn't apply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 treehugger22

when i was a boy maybe 11 or 12 my family moved up to my grannys jouse to mind her, it is a very old house. we werre converting a certain part of the house into an anex for granny while we lived in the other part of the house

anyway, the builder had a flood light and one night me and my brother went out to play football in the yard and i noticed in the cut out of the window in what was going to be grannys room i saw a woman, she was in back and white but was clear as day i looked directly at her for 30 seconds but i was froze and got a fright, i didnt feel threatened i was just afraid because i was so young. i eventually went a medium recently because this woman started to come back to me and i was told that she lived on the and before, (its farmhouse) i wish i was older and i got the chance to try and speak to ths woman. i have a huge interest in spirits at such a young age id love for her to show herself again, i feel my loved ones around me also and i seep in the same bed my granny did and last year about 4 or 5 nights in a row i woke up with my phone charger plugged out, i know its her letting me know shes there and the medium told me she was scared my charger was going to catch fire

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi again,

I have another story a friend told me. It was back in the summer of 1976. The weather was beating down and my friend's parents decided to go on holiday to county Tipperary. The stayed at a holiday camp near a lake and there was a slow moving river that fed into the lake.

My friend told me this as they had seen it in the daylight. My friend met some girls her age- she was 12 in 1976. They started playing together and going on walks during the day when it was hot. My friend's father had a small boat that he brought with them and he took my friend and her mother out on the lake during the day.

Halfway through my friend's holiday - one of the girls she met decided it would be fun to go out on the lake in her father's boat.
    One evening when they families were asleep they took the boat out very late- now granted sun sets late and rises early in summer but where they were had no light post or artificial light.

Off they went in the boat onto the lake in the dark of the night. At first they thought it was fun but after a half hour or so they could not see a thing in front of them. My friend panicked as they thought her parents would kill her if they got back late.She said it was pitch black and there was no sound- dead calm.They soon realised it was a bad idea. They couldn't see a thing. One of her friends started praying the rosary to help them back as they were really frightened now and there were no sounds even to give them a hint where or how far from the edge of the lake they were.

Now people can make what they want of this story but this is what she told me. She started to cry because she knew if her father caught her she would be toast but then she saw a very faint light under the water near the boat. She said it was just enough to make out but not bright.

Her friend thought it was a light system in the water to guide people at night- they steered the boat in the direction of the light-she said it was bead like - one disappearing after the other. They finally reached the edge of the lake and very quietly put the boat back and crept back to their beds.

My friend looked back in the water but the lights had disappeared. She could not make head nor tail of it.

On the journey home - her parents asked if she enjoyed her trip. My friend said she had enjoyed it but felt so guilty about the boat. She said she has never forgotten that incident but thinks it may have been a spirit in the water that helped them back to the edge of the lake.

I haven't been here in a while, I hope everyone is doing good.
    Take care for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Creepy stuff even with such a positive ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hi came across this board when trying to research an issue at home & seems quite a few people have had 'experiences'.

We bought a house back in 2006, the house was built around 1950 and had been rented out for a long while and was really run down. Needed to totally gut the place and as part of that noticed that the ceiling in the back upstairs bedroom had rough straight lines marked on it which we took to be where the plaster boards had begun to separate. We were replacing the roof so didn't think anything of it.

About a year afterwards when the house was finished and we'd moved one of our kids into the room we started having issues. There was a wardrobe in the back corner of the room and we'd frequently come home to find all of the clothes strewn over the floor. Must admit our young fella got the blame despite his denials albeit on a couple of occasions it couldn't possibly be him. The room was moved around for a few weeks while we laid a new floor and the wardrobe moved. There was no repeat until we moved the wardrobe back - suddenly the episodes resumed. It was actually a really old wardrobe that we'd bought from an old Kerry hotel and at the time we laughed with the neighbour (who'd moved into her mothers house next door) that the wardrobe was haunted !.

Two days later there was a knock on the door and it was our neighbour. She'd been to visit her mother who was in a care home and relayed the story to her. She asked where in the room we had placed the wardrobe and when we told her, the story opened up. Apparently in the mid 60's, the family in the house had 5 children, as a result they had divided the back bedroom into three separate rooms (hence the roof markings). One of their children passed away through a diabetic incident and her room (which would have been very small) was directly where we had placed the wardrobe !.

Suffice to say, we moved the wardrobe and to this day have never put any furniture in that space - we have never had an issue since.

There was never any harm done and i like to think that maybe she was complaining about a wardrobe being placed in her space ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am open minded about it all but given that I live in one of the oldest areas of human settlement on the island and I've never had a single strange experience I find it hard to believe in ghosts, I've walked in deserted forests alone and driven on country roads after midnight, nothing. I was also in an abandoned house the other week, an old cottage that was last occupied in 1991, the scariest thing was the 1970s wallpaper.

I also walked around my parish graveyard after midnight too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cjpm20 wrote: »
    Vincent's body was discarded in a local bog and he was forgotten by locals and all that knew him.

Can you ask vincent which bog he's buried in? Does he understand GPS coordinates?

Advertisement