Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Robinson and the Princess

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Reopened. Serious posts only please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

It's embarrassing for Mary Robinson but I can't say I'm surprised. She'll always be a shill for whoever is paying her.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

VonZan wrote: »
    It's embarrassing for Mary Robinson but I can't say I'm surprised. She'll always be a shill for whoever is paying her.

Who is paying her to do this? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

This is what happens when u go vegan.mary Robinson just an auld mouthpiece these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

This is the second thread on this topic. The first one was locked because of similar comments above, i wonder why?

Mary is a diplomatic perfectionist in he own mind. She jumps from one thing to the next, always looking for the largest pay out.... it’s rather embarrassing at this stage ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Who is paying her to do this? Genuine question.

She's due to attend a book festival in the UAE, an event that's sponsored by the Maktoum family. I understand Mrs Robinson noted this herself.

At the very least, Mrs Robinson has allowed herself to get drawn into another family's issues... which, by virtue of the Maktoum family being synonymous with the state in UAE, means being drawn into a political minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

She's due to attend a book festival in the UAE, an event that's sponsored by the Maktoum family. I understand Mrs Robinson noted this herself.

At the very least, Mrs Robinson has allowed herself to get drawn into another family's issues... which, by virtue of the Maktoum family being synonymous with the state in UAE, means being drawn into a political minefield.

Thanks for that, i genuinely had no idea and haven't followed anything to do with her for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Mary took the UAE $$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some strong reaction from the kind of organisations Robinson typically would like to be aligned with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/27/mary-robinson-labelled-a-willing-pawn-of-uae-over-visit-with-princess
    Robinson faced intensive criticism on Thursday from rights campaigners, with one alleging she had been “used as a willing pawn in the PR battle between the UAE ruling family and the rest of the world”.

There was also a sceptical reaction from Human Rights Watch (HRW), which was name-checked during a BBC interview on Thursday with Robinson, who said she had been asked by Princess Hayat, one of the Sheikh’s wives and someone she had known for a long time, to come to Dubai to help with a “family dilemma”.

Radha Stirling, the chief executive of the Detained in Dubai group, said listeners to the interview with Robinson would have been “astonished at the extent to which Ms Robinson appeared to be reciting almost verbatim from Dubai’s script”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Imagine 1950's Ireland and a girl runs away from a Magdeline laundry but is caught and returned, then imagine a foreigner arriving to see what all the fuss was about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

boggerman1 wrote: »
    This is what happens when u go vegan.mary Robinson just an auld mouthpiece these days.

Serious posts only please as per the charter.
    NSAman wrote: »
    This is the second thread on this topic. The first one was locked because of similar comments above, i wonder why?

Please use the report post function

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Yes, Robinson has clearly allowed her name to be used by the despotic ruler of the UAE to cover up his kidnapping and alleged torture of this poor young girl. Robinson has a lot to answer for. I fear, however, that her intervention may have already spelt the end for this young woman, whose video evidence tells it all, despite the cover-up participated in by a willing Mary Robinson.
    Perhaps Robinson was just gullible and flattered, as in her disastrous days at the UN. There, she was quickly neutralized through the simple expedient of "death by delegation". It is an old UN technique, often used elsewhere as well. Sweet talk someone into thinking they are doing a good job and offer them more responsibility and neglect to discuss the normally logical accompaniment of more resources and "wallah", the job is done. Her staff were astonished at her gullibility and lack of regard for their already heavy workloads. She didn't care. She thought she was being promoted. Instead, she was being smothered, but was too self-centred and naive to even notice. Her staff rebelled, left or silently worked to rule, until she left herself.
    Here, however, her gullability may well cost this young princess her life. Her freedom has already been taken and Robinson has helped cover this up. Will she be another kashoggi ?

Who knew Mary Robinson would be a shill? She did quit her job as President of Ireland so...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Imagine 1950's Ireland and a girl runs away from a Magdeline laundry but is caught and returned, then imagine a foreigner arriving to see what all the fuss was about.

They would say she's mad or "deeply troubled"

From Rome? Nothing to see here...

Plus ca change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The UAE Royal family are probably top 20 wealthiest families in the world.

Mary Robinson has always been for things that are also good for business and the well to do.

A job is a job, she knows how it would look but better to be friends with that family, it will pay yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Try_harder wrote: »
    From Rome? Nothing to see here...

Plus ca change

Yet so many pretend Mary is anything but a Cardinal, high up in the Curia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The one really genuine thing Mary Robinson could do is invite the princess to visit her in Ireland. Then we get to see the colour of everybody's money. Then we get to see who is bull****ting and who is not. Then we get to see if Mary Robinson gets invited to UAE again, all expenses paid or not.
    Who could forget to invite the princess to enjoy the bracing air of Achill and the wild beauty of Connemara? Not Mary Robinson, surely?

Remember right-wing Michael McDowell? Godammit, give him credit. He sheltered Salman Rushdie, gave him sanctuary in his home when the loopies were chasing Salman with scimitars. Maybe he should have a word with Mary when they next meet at a King's Inns dinner,

Yes, we can well imagine. Point taken, but it doesn't do much for the unfortunate young woman in UAE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Mrs. Robinson has been talking a lot of nonsense for a very long time.

Sean O Rourke had her on in October or thereabouts and handled her with kid gloves summing up with a hint for her to plug her new book.

If so called journalists see fit to let her ramble unchallenged don't be surprised when she goes rogue on autopilot.
    She's clearly existing in some sort of deluded, parallel universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How could a former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Global Warming activist, be good friends with the wife of one of the world's worst Despots and leading supplier of Oil , should they not be sworn enemies. Mary Robinson is a can of *iss

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

A lot of surprising posts and allegations in this thread.

Several claims that Mary Robinson has been paid off by UAE or has in the past only acted in exchange for money. Any proof or substance to this or just baseless mud being slung?

Another post alleged that she was viewed as incompetent during her time in the UN and neglected her work. Again, is there any evidence that this is the case or is it just internet **** talk?

In my opinion, the optics of this aren't great for Mrs. Robinson. I have a lot of admiration for her and extend her the benefit of the doubt that there is more detail to this story than we know at the moment. I have always found her to be a very intelligent and astute lady so perhaps this was a mis step or everything is not yet clear.

Taco Chips wrote: »
    A lot of surprising posts and allegations in this thread.

Several claims that Mary Robinson has been paid off by UAE or has in the past only acted in exchange for money. Any proof or substance to this or just baseless mud being slung?

Another post alleged that she was viewed as incompetent during her time in the UN and neglected her work. Again, is there any evidence that this is the case or is it just internet **** talk?

In my opinion, the optics of this aren't great for Mrs. Robinson. I have a lot of admiration for her and extend her the benefit of the doubt that there is more detail to this story than we know at the moment. I have always found her to be a very intelligent and astute lady so perhaps this was a mis step or everything is not yet clear.

I repeat that a very obvious step is for Mary Robinson to invite the Princess to visit Ireland. It's never too late to do that. Then we'll see what we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How could a former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Global Warming activist, be good friends with the wife of one of the world's worst Despots and leading supplier of Oil , should they not be sworn enemies. Mary Robinson is a can of *iss

iirc Princess Haya,daughter of the King of Jordan, spent time in Ireland pursuing her show jumping career, Jim Bolger also trained some of her racehorses on his stud. Robbo got to know her when she lived here, Bono was also hanging around the Jordianian royal family at the same time too. Jordanian royals were seen as progressive as Middle Eastern politics go. Princess Haya later went on to become Sheikh Al-Maktoums third or fouth wife so Robbo got to know the UAE royal family through her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

feargale wrote: »
    Remember right-wing Michael McDowell? Godammit, give him credit. He sheltered Salman Rushdie, gave him sanctuary in his home when the loopies were chasing Salman with scimitars. Maybe he should have a word with Mary when they next meet at a King's Inns dinner,

Did this actually happen, I don't remember it.

Did this actually happen, I don't remember it.

I do believe it did, but naturally wasn't publicised at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As bizarre as this news story may be, this thread is fully bonkers! Some of the allegations above are utterly wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As bizarre as this news story may be, this thread is fully bonkers! Some of the allegations above are utterly wild.
    There are a couple of lunatics around with a deep hatred for Mary Robinson.

This is a bizarre story anyway. You could be pretty sure if any of us were to visit like Robinson did, we too would find a young woman who outwardly appears to be fine and well-treated. House arrest notwithstanding.

What is Robinson supposed to say? "Yes, although the young lady appeared well cared for, happy, and free, I have seen the videos and heard the rumours and therefore I must assume that what I saw was nothing more than a farce put on for my benefit".

In her own words, "I undertook the visit and made an assessment, not a judgement, based on personal witness, in good faith and to the best of my ability.”

It was alleged the princess was in danger, or possibly even dead, Robinson made the visit to confirm the situation and found a very much alive woman in no apparent danger and in good health.

I would tend to agree with the assessment that Robinson has somewhat allowed herself to be used as a pawn for PR - "The princess is fine, nothing to see here" - but I don't really know what alternative there was. Refuse to go and find out if the princess is alive?

Extending an official invite to Ireland is probably a good idea. Michael D should do it, make it far more formal, and a refusal more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Princess Hoya is a very accomplished woman who is well educated (schooled in England with honours degree from Oxford in Philosophy, Politics and Economics).

This is probably her connection with Mary Robinson.
    Princess Haya was an ambassador for the World Food Programme 2005-2007,[18] and then appointed a UN Messenger of Peace in July 2007 by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. She was a founding member of former Secretary-General Kofi Annan's Global Humanitarian Forum based in Geneva, and writes editorials and articles on hunger, nutrition and the UN Millennium Development Goals.

Very interesting person with lots of achievements, particularly considering where she comes from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haya_bint_Hussein

I don't think the Al Maktoums are anything close to being despotic. The opposite in fact for a Middle Eastern country. Just look at Dubai, which is largely the creation of her husband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Princess Haya on Marian Finucane at the moment

Advertisement