Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jimjom

I think you have single handedly ruined a past time for many petrolheads.
    Have the enjoyment is seeking out a great find by yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

jimjom wrote: »

This thread is heroin for petrol heads (and diesel, lpg and God willing electric soon enough).
    James Ruppert doesn't hide behind the bush in pointing out the key cars to go for? And he coined the bloody phrase! https://www.bangernomics.com/

All users are doing here is ensuring (most times, though it's got sloppy lately) that what's posted is pure Drive n Go. ie NCT.

jimjom wrote: »

This thread is heroin for petrol heads (and diesel, lpg and God willing electric soon enough).
    James Ruppert doesn't hide behind the bush in pointing out the key cars to go for? And he coined the bloody phrase! https://www.bangernomics.com/

All users are doing here is ensuring (most times, though it's got sloppy lately) that what's posted is pure Drive n Go. ie NCT.

Lad's, this Boards Android app is awful muck

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Lad's, this Boards Android app is awful muck

:p

Sorry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moar car adverts, less handbags please
    This thread is meant as information, not squabbling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

biko wrote: »
    Moar car adverts, less handbags please
    This thread is meant as information, not squabbling

The Internet would be tumbleweed if it weren't for squabbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Lads looking for an automatic bangernomics for herself and test drove a civic hybrid yesterday that I'm half thinking of buying. Only one concern I had driving it was there was a very high pitched noise when I applied the breaks, I done a bit of reading online and it could be the regenerative breaking but I've driven a few other Honda Insights recently too and there wasn't the same sound so has me torn on what to do.

If it's a normal sound of the regenerative braking then why wasn't all the hybrids I test drove doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How much you do love her? :pac:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/20975284

A grand canidate here, more than eager and up for the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/classic-bmw-523i/21002898

Not exactly a bargain but IMO this has all the hallmarks of an investment buy

523i manual, test till Dec 19, €895. Nice and original, when did you last see an E34 this clean and this cheap? E39 will only go the same way

Lovely spot Duke but I would really need to question the logic of it being put in the Bangernomics thread especially when you mentioned investment buy. Its a fab clean and original unmolested looking machine with one of the more desirable engines from the line up - there can't be too many if any that ticks all them boxes on these shores I'd imagine, certainly on the market. I have no doubt that at the asking price it would make a brilliant investment on the proviso that you have watertight indoor storage and know what your doing with regards to maintenance - but if its not being put on the road then its not bangernomics. However, while people will differ somewhat on what they consider to be a bangernomics car I think pretty much all will agree you dispose of it and start again when something seriously costly to rectify goes wrong or lots of costly maintenance/ repairs looming in the immediate future - if you are keeping it on the road and that happens and you need to spend serious money on it, to protect your investment so as to speak then its not bangernomics either.

Also (and this is where people may differ on what a bangernomics car is ), I would take it to be your primary every day driver car - otherwise if its not, I'm not sure why you would run a second car as a bangernomics car. I think its unlikely the very vast majority of people will be able to insure it as their primary car.

I can't help think to myself that the likes of this cars fate is marked out as drifting in Mondello, especially considering the county its for sale in....which is an absolute shame really. No doubt Seans phone has being hopping from them perspective buyers.

On a sidenote I'm a big fan of your contributions to the thread and the forum in generalwink.png

I say investment, but I don’t think that necessarily means it has to be wrapped up in blankets in a garage somewhere waiting until it’s 30th birthday. Rough e34s these days command decent coin, I would say you could very well drive that e39, pick up a few battle scars along the way and still get decent money for it in five years time if you had the patience to keep it that long. Obviously that doesn’t account for running costs in those five years, but this is bangernomics afterall, and whose counting?

I bought a 94 Fiat Tipo in 2014, I think, for buttons. 1 owner, low miles, loads of NCT and tax. I drove it for the guts of two years up at down the country, not concerned about keeping the miles down, or keeping it mint - and I still sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. I used to have people come up to me in car parks and ask if I’d sell it. I think you could do the same with the e39, and have a bit of fun along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It's cheap and nct'd to year end. Also something Duke would drive. Might even have some tax left. It's a bangernomics car by the very definition in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

commited wrote: »
    Has anyone on here considered rolling the dice on an ex-taxi/high mileage 09-on Skoda Octavia/Superb? Just about into Bangernomics territory..

The silver Octavia, if it has a service history, would be a great buy,

Not sure how good a car listed in "damaged cars" will be, so might skip the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Having previously owned 2 BMW E39 523's, one a manual and the other an automatic, both of them failed me eventually with the dreaded cooling system faults.

One of them, the water pump failed, and the other one, the viscous clutch failed along with radiator and expansion bottle issues.

Despite that, and having owned the 2.2 litre 520 afterwards, I've always said I'd like to try another 523.

This is a lovely looking example you posted Duke, and whether it is bought to be stashed away as a classic, or driven as a bangernomics car, it fits the bill here.

Just a word of warning to anybody thinking of looking at it...check for signs of cracked expansion tank, cracked thermostat housing, leaking radiator, general overheating related issues, coolant leaks etc and make sure the viscous clutch is working ok and that the fan cuts in to cool the car once warmed up

I say investment, but I don’t think that necessarily means it has to be wrapped up in blankets in a garage somewhere waiting until it’s 30th birthday. Rough e34s these days command decent coin, I would say you could very well drive that e39, pick up a few battle scars along the way and still get decent money for it in five years time if you had the patience to keep it that long. Obviously that doesn’t account for running costs in those five years, but this is bangernomics afterall, and whose counting?

I bought a 94 Fiat Tipo in 2014, I think, for buttons. 1 owner, low miles, loads of NCT and tax. I drove it for the guts of two years up at down the country, not concerned about keeping the miles down, or keeping it mint - and I still sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. I used to have people come up to me in car parks and ask if I’d sell it. I think you could do the same with the e39, and have a bit of fun along the way.

I take on board what your saying. Of course running cost and routine maintenance is one thing that cant be avoided in any car, bangernomics or not but there is a limit too at which point you need to do the counting. For example I scrapped my 04' Corolla last year as the cost of putting it right (routine maintenance for the most part alone including tyres, shocks, links, steering rack, exhaust and service were far more than what you would expect to pay for a fine freshly tested 04 Corolla. Of course I could have ploughed over a grand into it and had it good again but if I did I wouldn't have considered that bangernomics motoring.

Pter yes the BMW may tick the bangernomics boxes as per the definition in the OP which on a side note arguably falls short of providing the full definition or at least ethos of bangernomics motoring. Additionally if something breaks in a Bangernomics car for which the cost of rectifying it far outweighs the cost of buying another similar road ready one then you cut your losses and start again - that is also part the formula on pretty much any other motoring website that speaks about bangernomics motoring and if you read through this thread you will see it mentioned more than once. You might be lucky and the BMW might turn out to be a fine Bangernomics car and a fine investment but you probably would be lucky - certainly you would be fooling yourself if you bought it with the assumption that it will end up being both and that's what triggered my response to Dukes post.

Duke as I mentioned you could be lucky and unlucky. You were lucky with the Fiat and kudos to you but if for argument sake the headgasket and the gearbox croaked around the same time I would be doubtful it would be a win win situation for both bangernomics and investment motoring. Would suggest with the BMW a few seemingly smaller issues would land you in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If you are going to start ruling out cars as not qualifying for criteria beyond the op no-one is going to bother posting cars.

Less chat more ads imo

I wouldn't ever condone pumping hundreds in maintenance into a bangernomics car, but I think theres is a difference in what is considered too much on a car you only intend to keep for six months or a year, and a car you intend to keep for a number of years or indefinitely.

In the case of the e39, sure, I said investment - but I literally just meant, keep it on the road. Don't obsess over it, just drive it. If its still around in five years, and you have the patience to hold onto it that long, great - it'll probably be worth more than the €800 you paid for it originally.

Where does it fall short of the bangernomics definition John? Sure its not a 1l so the tax is a bit sore, but we've had 5 series' posted here for a good few years now. Like a poster said only a few pages back, tax is just another expense and joy of car ownership. I pay absolutely no heed of my tax for the same reason.

Pter wrote: »
    If you are going to start ruling out cars as not qualifying for criteria beyond the op no-one is going to bother posting cars.

Less chat more ads imo

Yes agreed, cars need to be posted that are bangernomics, not as investment propositions - if we are to go with OP then.

Agreed also more bangernomics cars need to be posted. Lets post some then will we...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-saloon-club-1-7-cdti/20714091
    2008 Astra saloon,
    1.7 diesel 6 spd,
    NCT 09/19
    Taxed 03/19.
    250k km
    cruise control.
    Motor tax €280 p.a.
    Not the prettiest car but cheap motoring for €1,500 if checks out

• Advertisement

Where does it fall short of the bangernomics definition John? Sure its not a 1l so the tax is a bit sore, but we've had 5 series' posted here for a good few years now. Like a poster said only a few pages back, tax is just another expense and joy of car ownership. I pay absolutely no heed of my tax for the same reason.

What I really meant Duke is that if you buy it with the intention of it being an investment and a bangernomics and something does croak on it that means you need to pump more into it than the true market value, so as to protect your investment then it doesn't tick the bangernomics box. In true bangenomics fashion you would scrap it or sell it for what few hundred you would get and start again. It may well be both (you most likely would be lucky if you were to keep it for any reasonable length) but don't buy it on the assumption that it will be both. If you buy it as an investment car be prepared to spends the loot on it and that nots really bangernomics is it? Otherwise buy it as a bangernomics car and a fine one it may be too but if something terminal happens the following day then ditch it and off you go again. I am totally ignoring motor tax and fuel when I make them points as I agree they do not figure.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-opel-astra-3-door-sri/20650633

Nother Astra,
    The much sportier looking 3 door sibling,
    NCT 02/2020,
    Should be peppy with 1.8 litre engine - just check insurance first.
    95,000 miles, looks clean.
    Asking €1,750

Anyone know what the motor tax on it would be? - being a 08 I'm not sure if it would be on the cubic capacity basis or emissions basis. Excluding such details in ads is a bit of a pet hate of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

We had Mazda 2 which we bought 3 yrs ago for 1400 and sold for 1100 this week. Bought this last nite. The seller got it NCT'd yesterday morning. Owned by Father/Daughter for 15 yrs, 42K miles, service history by VW up to 2015. 2 keys. Body not in the best shape (scratches etc). Interior was filthy, spent 2 hours earlier to clean it up. I'll get it serviced and probably 1/2 stage correction to shine it up. Lovely to drive.

Paid e. 1,750

472601.jpg

472602.jpg

That’s an excellent find. Tiny miles! Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-opel-astra-3-door-sri/20650633

Nother Astra,
    The much sportier looking 3 door sibling,
    NCT 02/2020,
    Should be peppy with 1.8 litre engine - just check insurance first.
    95,000 miles, looks clean.
    Asking €1,750

Anyone know what the motor tax on it would be? - being a 08 I'm not sure if it would be on the cubic capacity basis or emissions basis. Excluding such details in ads is a bit of a pet hate of mine.

Tax Band - 1701 - 1800 = 636 Annual

Tom

commited wrote: »
    Has anyone on here considered rolling the dice on an ex-taxi/high mileage 09-on Skoda Octavia/Superb? Just about into Bangernomics territory..

I would consider it and have posted at least one or 2 ex taxis that had test on them and were on for handy money in the thread before but they tended to be shot down. Eyes wide open and that too though. I would nearly want to be seen a service history with service being done on time every time, especially for cars used primarily in around city and built up areas that would probably have spent quite a bit of time ticking over in traffic. The first or third one on your list would be the pick of the bunch for me. The second one seems tired and 315k miles (as per odometer) around Dublin would mean it has spent a lot of hours running. Last one was placed in the damaged and repairables section which raises questions.

I would say with buying any of those above linked Skodas you would probably have to budget a few hundred for immediate expenditure straight after purchasing. Taxis in Dublin have an inexplicable affinity with Triangle and Linglong tyres too, so if they're not your thing you might need to budget for x4 tyres too. I'd take a chance on one!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-ford-tourneo-connect-90-ps-nct-10-19-8-seater/21013078

MzRjOGZkYTNlYjIwODU1MjMwZGY4NWY2ZjQ1NzJhYmZq6GwejYWzahvFEOxahiLZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgxMTg2MTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

08 Toureno 8 seater, NCT till October 19, €1750

I don't know why, but I kind of like this. Looks fairly clean too

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c5-2-0-hdi-diesel-nctd-amp-taxed-/20916836

NDI4YTM3NTZkNTU1ZDM5YTVmZThkNjhjODAyMWM0MzCeWesWip94wGeNwEnKn3aCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTczMzk4NTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Diesel, tested till July, taxed till March, new tyres, €450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

That golf looks a fantastic buy.well done and good luck with it.. see it on done deal or through contacts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement