Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bedroom in Apartment

Options
  • 06-02-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

If an extra bedroom is added to a 1 bedroom apartment and it comes up for sale, it would still only be sold as a 1 bed I assume? Would there need to be a planning permission change or something along those lines?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If an extra bedroom is added to a 1 bedroom apartment and it comes up for sale, it would still only be sold as a 1 bed I assume? Would there need to be a planning permission change or something along those lines?

Assuming its done inline with building regulations there should not need to be a planning application. If this is a purchase you are making you could request a certificate of exemption of planning from the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Doop wrote: »
    Assuming its done inline with building regulations there should not need to be a planning application. If this is a purchase you are making you could request a certificate of exemption of planning from the vendor.

There may also have been a requirement for the management company to have agreed to the works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

May have no need for Planning, but changing a one bed apartment to a two bed apartment would constitute a material alteration, and would require a Fire Safety Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Bank might be less willing to lend money on such a property, for the reasons outlined above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

I struggle to see how it's even possible to eke another bedroom out of a one bed apartment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I struggle to see how it's even possible to eke another bedroom out of a one bed apartment :confused:

Would depend on the size, anything over 80 square meter should be workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

kceire wrote: »
    May have no need for Planning, but changing a one bed apartment to a two bed apartment would constitute a material alteration, and would require a Fire Safety Certificate.

KC, would a Fire Safety Cert be needed if going the other way, i.e. changing from a two bed to a one bed apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Depends on the apartment; I know someone with a1,100 sq foot studio, ie all one room originally sold as a shell. Subject to the appropriate certification and work, no reason why it could not become a spacious 2 bed rather than a bedsit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If it had a separate kitchen and the kitchen was transferred to the living area and the old kitchen made a bedroom is one possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MicktheMan wrote: »
    KC, would a Fire Safety Cert be needed if going the other way, i.e. changing from a two bed to a one bed apartment?

Technically its still a material alteration, so yes.
    Planning would most likely be exempt under section 41H, but FSC and now a DAC required.

You would also need to appoint an assigned certifier to oversee the works and sign off through the BCMS under BCAR.

Small job on the ground, but oversight, professionals fees and statutory certification will make this expensive.

Then you also have to deal with the management company and get their approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Thanks for the replies.
    Would anyone be able to put a rough figure on the cost of a fire safety certificate?
    Would it be only be a requirement to get management company approval to officially have an extra bedroom added? Would I need to inform them if all I'm doing is splitting the space internally with a partition wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

kceire wrote: »
    Technically its still a material alteration, so yes.
    Planning would most likely be exempt under section 41H, but FSC and now a DAC required.

You would also need to appoint an assigned certifier to oversee the works and sign off through the BCMS under BCAR.

Small job on the ground, but oversight, professionals fees and statutory certification will make this expensive.

Then you also have to deal with the management company and get their approval.

A DAC likely not required as a result of the 2018 amendment to building control act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Gileadi wrote: »
    A DAC likely not required as a result of the 2018 amendment to building control act

What about BUILDING CONTROL (AMENDMENT) (NO. 2) REGULATIONS 2015
    S.I. No. 365 of 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Not at a computer to read it now, maybe you could tell me the point you’re trying to make?

As I mentioned before, the requirement for a DACs (edit: for material alterations) in buildings containing flats was relaxed in 2018 bca amendment s.i. 526 iirc.

Material alteration to a building containing a flat will require fire safety cert which in turn requires an assigned certified (no opt out possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stbi

Did you ahead with the partition? Did you get the permission from the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stbi

Did you ahead with the partition? Did you get the permission from the management company?

Advertisement