Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest Footballer to Win All Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good to have your historical input back Sonny!

Meath might have been down the bookies lists in 1996 but Dublin certainly did not take them for granted and possibly saw them as main obstacle to doubling up on 1996.

Having said that, Dublin in the Chaos Years book would appear to indicate that Dublin were in a bit of a mess of the players own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Thats true. Cork had under 21 players that won All Ireland in 1966. Thats the youngest team to ever win hurling All Ireland title.

I'd hazard a guess that the Clare 2013 team were as young if not younger. An extraordinary amount of early 20s players on that team led by Tony Kelly who was Hurler of the Year at a mere 19 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

megadodge wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that the Clare 2013 team were as young if not younger. An extraordinary amount of early 20s players on that team led by Tony Kelly who was Hurler of the Year at a mere 19 years of age.

Clare had some great young fellas. A lot of the heroes of 13 no longer play as far as I can see.

What happened?

(Yes, I know this is football thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

megadodge wrote:

True the two youngest teams to win hurling All Ireland were Cork 1966 and Clare in 2013. Even though limerick last year had a young team. Allot of people in hurling like to say that Clare were lucky in 13 they didnt face Tipp.or Kilkenny. I think that is so unfair. The performance by Clare in both finals were outstanding . For such a young team to be so good in a final on both days that was so impressive. The only young team that were as impressive in a final were kerry in 1975 in football and Cork in 66 in hurling. Both Clare and Davy Fitzgerald never got credit for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Bonniedog wrote:
    Good to have your historical input back Sonny!

Bonniedog wrote:
    Meath might have been down the bookies lists in 1996 but Dublin certainly did not take them for granted and possibly saw them as main obstacle to doubling up on 1996.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Having said that, Dublin in the Chaos Years book would appear to indicate that Dublin were in a bit of a mess of the players own making.

Thanks for your comments Bonniedog. Its going to be some summer for u guys possibly the greatest GAA summer of your lifes with the winning of the five in a row. I cannot wish u luck as a Meathman but I can still say enjoy the year as I think this year will go down in folklore and there will be songs and ballads written about the five in row Dubs in years to come. Mayo or Tyrone might and its a big might stop u guys, but Dublin are still best team in the country by a metric mile and will be likely champions in September.

Regards 96 I know what ur saying that Dublin would have seen Meath as a threat in 96, not like now. But in spring 96 no one saw Meath as contenders. Many people in Meath were saying this is the worst Meath team in decades before the Carlow game in 96. And after the 10 point hammering in 95 final most people saw Meath had a massive rebuilding job and would be in transition for a years. In laochra Gael programme on Trevour Giles , Ciaran Whelan said after 1995 hammering the feeling was Meath were gone for a good few years from top table as they needed to rebuild . 96 was Boylans finest moment bringing a new team with pile of under 21 players from nowhere to win Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Larry Cribbins Kildare 1919. I think he was forty something. He had won a medal in 1905. I wonder if he was related to Ollie Cribbins, no mean Kildare goalkeeper in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johndoe97

Stephen Cluxton to become oldest All Ireland winning footballer that anyone can actually be sure of his age? on a side note record keeping in the GAA is shocking, Croke Park should have archives to easily answer such questions without dispute

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

If the Dubs make it on Sunday, there will be little argument about Cluxton being the oldest.

One can only admire the exceptional physicality of those over 35 who won All Irelands etc in any era, including our own.

The problem with this discussion is that it can be very difficult to establish the correct birthdate of players born before 1922.

Indeed it can be difficult to establish the correct birthdate of some people since that time for many reasons, political, home-births, fosterage, adoption, illiteracy etc.

For instance, Sinn Fein launched a national civil disobedience strike in 1918 and a huge number of births, marriages and official business were only registered well after the events. Memory played tricks with dates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Unbelievable from Cluxton

especially in this era of all teams being super fit , and he looks as good as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Back then many homes had nobody who could fill out a census form , so local police man did the job and probably inaccurately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Seadin

What about Cork 1999 hurling team? They were a young team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cluxton already held the record as the oldest All-Star footballer and Player of the Year award winner but after yesterday I didn't see or hear it mentioned that he was the oldest footballer to win the All Ireland so I'm guessing some player way back when was older? be nice to know who and how old he was, maybe one reason for Cluxton to stay on for another while?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t say the age thing bothers him, the record that is, whatever it is, if anything I’d say he might like the tenth All Ireland winners medal…. Depends how he’s feeling I suppose.

Advertisement