Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up N26 account

• 18-12-2018 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

Just opened a N26 account.

Am I right in saying you can only top it up by way of a SEPA transfer into it i.e. you can’t use your debit card from another institution to top it up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can top-up Revolut from the card/Apple pay as you wish if that's any use.

N26 is SEPA transfer only here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Davy wrote: »
    You can top-up Revolut from the card/Apple pay as you wish if that's any use.

N26 is SEPA transfer only here.

Major drawback on the N26 compared to Revolut so. They need to implement toping up via. card as a matter of priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Major drawback on the N26 compared to Revolut so. They need to implement toping up via. card as a matter of priority.

it does present an impediment to people keeping a foot in two camps, but I think their strategy is to get you to switch to them, by receiving your salary to it.

You don't see any Irish banks allowing topping up by debit card for example. N26 see them as the same (and in fairness they have a banking license, whereas many of the providers that allow debit card topup don't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭shmeee

Hi,

Am I right in saying you can only top it up by way of a SEPA transfer into it i.e. you can’t use your debit card from another institution to top it up?

How do you even set this up?

I can't even find the option on the app or web site.

*Am I right in thinking I've to enter my n26 IBAN into my BOI bank account and then transfer across?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

shmeee wrote: »
    How do you even set this up?

I can't even find the option on the app or web site.

You don't do it from the N26 app or website. You do it from another bank account and just transfer it across.

Edit: Just seen your edit. Yes, that is correct.

• Advertisement

You don't do it from the N26 app or website. You do it from another bank account and just transfer it across.

I just taught of that there and edited my post, very little info on the app to explain such.

How long do funds take to reach from a BOI account?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I just taught of that there and edited my post, very little info on the app to explain such.

How long do funds take to reach from a BOI account?

Should be less than 1 business day.

very little info on the app to explain such.

Just on this. N26 is a fully fledged bank account just like the ones offered by BOI AIB, PTSB, KBC etc. It operates the exact same way as a normal bank account. None of the other banks explain how to transfer money to them in their app because they assume you already know.

Just on this. N26 is a fully fledged bank account just like the ones offered by BOI AIB, PTSB, KBC etc. It operates the exact same way as a normal bank account. None of the other banks explain how to transfer money to them in their app because they assume you already know.

I just signed up for it in September and only going using it now. Haven't looked at it since.

The main reason I'm going towards it now is for apple pay, only account I have that will work with it, which at this time of year now is handy to have.

Thanks all for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hi,

It's a bank account, you top it up the same as any other, like having your salary lodged to it.

• Advertisement

Is there a charge for sending money from BOI sepa transfer to N26

Knowing BoI, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

McGaggs wrote: »
    Knowing BoI, probably.

There is no additional charge for SEPA. If you are paying transaction charges already for BOI, then the usual applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I just came across this post. Its frustrating that its not simple to top up the card. I have to go to AIB with the card reader and enter the details each time I want to top it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Sniipe wrote: »
    I just came across this post. Its frustrating that its not simple to top up the card. I have to go to AIB with the card reader and enter the details each time I want to top it up.
    Add your N26 account as a payee / beneficiary and you'll never need your card reader, just your PIN if you're on mobile.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Add your N26 account as a payee / beneficiary and you'll never need your card reader, just your PIN if you're on mobile.

Unfortunately I can't
    tEbLnfR.jpg
    Invalid Irish Receiving bank IBAN entered

I also found this: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057698679
    AIB state:
    The Development Team are currently looking at this change, however, we do not have a timeframe, apologies

The obvious solution is to stop using AIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I also found this: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057698679
    AIB state:
    Interesting, banks are terrible at applying SEPA requirements. I even have my N26 linked to my ESCCU. I recommend topping up a Revolut account instantly and then sending it from there to your N26 - it will happen in the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

advertsfox wrote: »
    Interesting, banks are terrible at applying SEPA requirements. I even have my N26 linked to my ESCCU. I recommend topping up a Revolut account instantly and then sending it from there to your N26 - it will happen in the same day.

Yeah, this is what I started doing a while ago. Top up Revolut in the morning and then send some money to N26. Arrives same afternoon.

• Advertisement

double post

Incredible that AIB's development team are still unable to deliver this extraordinarily simple request. Over 2 years since it was mentioned.

I've even had a written complaint answered regarding it, which was very much a straightforward "PFO"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't see what is incredible about it, no one wants to pay for the service so why would you expect a company to invest any serious money in it. I'm sure the team are well capable of developing such an application, but expecting any business manager to authorise a budge to do it is just not realistic. When you have to provide a free service you do the minimum necessary not the maximum possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's a very small feature on the backlog - the cost would be negligible for a competent team. If there was any competition, they would add it in a heartbeat. The problem is that AIB outsourced and offshored a huge amount of its IT (including software development) a few years back (when its systems were vastly superior to the competition). With all the other banks having done likewise years before that, AIB remains in pole position. Until another bank starts to invest and give AIB a run for it's money, advances in banking systems & functionality offered to customers in Ireland will remain pretty stagnant. KBC was the best hope for customers (and pushing the other banks to start innovating), but Bank of Ireland, instead of competing/collapsing as they should, were simply so big they could just buy out the competition rather than compete.

The cost of making a change to a financial application released to the public is never negligible. Any change to the code will require a full round of testing, packaging, release management etc... So probably around 200k at least to start with.

The free banking concept was sold to bank management on the basis that it would bring customers in the door and they would then make money by selling other services to them. That did not happen, instead what actually happened was that bank were flooded with customers that only came for the free stuff and cost the banks money. Nobody is interested in spending money to attract more loss making customers.

I have worked with off shore teams in Eastern Europe and India for over thirty years and I have no doubt that they are as competent as anywhere else. But if they are asked to just keep the lights on and paid accordingly, then that is what they will, just like any other business. And the banks have been in a race to the bottom for many years now, so much so that we are starting to reach the bottom.

And as we do, we are seeing the beginning of the next phase a consolidation - look at UB and KCB. Once that is completed, banks will be in a position to impose fees once again and then you'll see investment return to the sector.

AIB don't offer free banking unless you have a mortgage with them in which case they are making a lot of money out of you regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

AIB aren't going to be in a rush to facilitate rival services.

Still it will make N26 less popular for many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Can top up with AIB using online banking. It took a lot of phone calls and talking to agents, but finally have it sorted. I was using the card reader for years, but now online banking and a password.

Cash26 would be very handy if that was to become available here.

What did you have to do to get it enabled? I'm currently doing bizarre roundabouts of "Topping up via Debit Card" with Revolut, and then instant transferring that into my N26. Horrific workaround.

I want my AIB account paid into, and all of my spending through N26. So want to just shuffle money in there if required.

• Advertisement

All you have to do is examine the accounts... UB and KCB are not exiting because they were making too much profits and attempts to introduce fees are not coming for the same reasons....

Advertisement