Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEPOSCHGUSD and NEPOSCHGGBP code on statements

Options
  • 22-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm seeing a lot of transactions on my account recently. They all seem to have this code: [font=arial, sans-serif]NEPOSCHGUSD, or [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]NEPOSCHGGBP[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] .[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]  Of the ones I've seen, the amounts  vary  from 11 cents to €3.34.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]What are these transactions for, and could I check (for example) the €3.34 amount, as I don't know what this was for?[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

tmccar wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of transactions on my account recently. They all seem to have this code: [font=arial, sans-serif]NEPOSCHGUSD, or [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]NEPOSCHGGBP[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] .[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]  Of the ones I've seen, the amounts  vary  from 11 cents to €3.34.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]What are these transactions for, and could I check (for example) the €3.34 amount, as I don't know what this was for?[/font]
    Were you in the US or UK doing card or ATM transactions?  They're charges for using the card abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tmccar

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Were you in the US or UK doing card or ATM transactions?  They're charges for using the card abroad
    No, I was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭pummice

NE = ?
    POS = Point of Sale
    CHG = charge
    GPB = Great Britain Pound

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Ally Dick wrote: »
    No, I was not.
    Have some of these charges as well,only this week.Card used online (Amazon UK),never used in an ATM outside Ireland.

I think if you use the card online to buy goods in local currency, you will get hit with these charges e.g. I buy something on Amazon UK, and I select to pay in sterling, then I get a similar POS charge, whereas if I select to pay in Euros, I don't have to pay it. This applies to Visa Debit but not Visa Credit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Tmccar,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

The advice you've been given is absolutely spot on. The charges (NEPOSCHG  GBP) is Non-Euro Point of Sale Charge Great British Pound. These are charges applied for using your card in a different currency and it includes all type of payments, Chip and Pin, ATM and online purchases. They are connected to recent purchases you've made in Sterling and US Dollars.

If you have been using the card online we would expect this to be the reason for the charge. Some companies will only charge in local currency and sometimes it is the default option and you have to manually change to Euro on their website. We would advise checking your Amazon account to confirm what currency they requested when taking payment.

I hope this helps clear it up but if you have any more questions please let us know.

Many thanks,
    Kat

If you use an ATM in a foreign country, the charge is down as NEATM instead of NEPOS. Just to be aware of it

There are swings and roundabouts in deciding whether to pay in the local currency of the site or in euros. Often, the rate quoted by the site is worse than the conversion rate that the banks use, so you are better off selecting local currency and also paying this charge, instead of letting the site do the conversion. I've found this for larger purchases on Amazon. If it's something cheap like a book, I'd always select to pay in euros, as the differences are too small to matter. I have to stress, using a credit card instead of a debit card stops these charges as well

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tmccar

Ok, thanks for the explanation. it looks like they are legit - I do a good few transactions online. 
    Normally, the charges are low (less than 1 Euro) but for one transaction of £160 sterling, it was €3.34 which seems a bit excessive.

So I think it's the credit card for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Ok, thanks for the explanation. it looks like they are legit - I do a good few transactions online. 
    Normally, the charges are low (less than 1 Euro) but for one transaction of £160 sterling, it was €3.34 which seems a bit excessive.

So I think it's the credit card for me anymore.

Get yourself a Revolut card and avoid these charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 irishprince

Got these on my BOI Statement - what does P2504US stand for?

I haven't purchased anything in US in recent months...

P2504US 22.00@0.83272
    NEPOSCHGUSD 000000.37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Good morning tmccar,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

These transactions are cross boarder handling fees for certain transactions that you have made in a different currency.(GBP- pounds USD- US Dollars). If you would like to check where these transactions were made, please log into the app, select services and then send us a message option. One of my colleagues can certainly confirm this for you. 

I hope this information was helpful! 

Have a lovely day

Many thanks,
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fonzie323

I'm trying to find it in my Amazon account but I can't find how to change it can you help me with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi fonzie323,

Sorry, we're unsure of your query. If you can please provide more details, we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Tara

"using a credit card instead of a debit card stops these charges as well"

Is this correct I wonder?

A cross border handling fee applies to credit card transactions as well? Perhaps Bank of Ireland can clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All,

For BOI Credit Cards, please see below.

Cross border handling fee will not apply to transactions in euro within the EU.

The Bank charges a Cross-Border Handling Fee of 2.25% of the transaction for all other transactions.

Many thanks,

Alison

I am wrong about not paying a fee for debit card. Since Brexit, you get hit for import fees if you buy outside the EU. The NEPOS fee doesn't happen if you opt to pay in euros instead of sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there,

The charges that show on a transaction similar to NEPOS and then have USD or GB after indicates payment was paid for in the foreign currency.

Yes, that's correct if you pay in the 'Euro' currency no cross border fees apply.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/cross-border-handling-fee-will-charged-use-debit-card-abroad/

Many thanks

Alison

Advertisement