Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are most families houses and lives in a mess???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

3 adults, 1 child, numerous pets and a messy house!!! Do you think that’s conducive environment to be raising a child? I think you need to reassess you life choices, sounds like you made some poor decisions along the way.

The only poor decision was bothering to reply to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Cages are good I find.

We found the gap between the bars still allowed a lot of mess out.

We eventually settled on the shed in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I’ve had the pleasure of being invited to several homes of young families recently and by young I mean new parents in their late 30’s and 40’s...

I’m aghast at how much crap people accumulate in their homes! Ikea boxes full of kids toys shoved in corners. My experience is limited to Dublin where all the “young” families with their delusions of grandeur want to live in the south east part of Dublin in houses they can barely afford all the while their lives are in chaos with plastic toys strewn everywhere, both working, 2 cars, hand-balling kids, 9 - 5, dinner Seriously, one of the parents needs to stay home and organise their lives.

Someone needs to stay at home eh? Wonder which of the two you are mostly likely to be referring to.

Continue being so pass remarkable and you might find yourself rightly short of invitations to anyone's new homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Anyone know where to look for a cleaner?
    A woman looking for a cleaner???

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anyone know where to look for a cleaner? The whole palaver would drive you to drink, but I can't stand mess either.

Ask your neighbours, that's how we have our current cleaner. She was working for one of the neighbours and they were really happy with her work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Ifevera wiztherewas

There’s several behavioural patterns evident from the responses on this thread:

Jaysus man you're really stuck for craic in your life if this is how you're getting your kicks. Don't know how you could actually be bothered making all the replies or find it that funny/ entertaining. The only conclusion I can come to is that there's something seriously lacking in your life. I hope things get better for you.

#believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I cannot bear clutter and disorganisation. Thankfully it's not OCD level where e.g. a mug left on the coffee table or pair of shoes left sitting by the sofa would freak me out, but I need to have most things in their right place, neat, organised, and I'm not one for excessive bits and bobs.

But when I'm at my folks' place, the grandchildren (compounded by the dog and the kitten) will trash the place, and while I'd really love a way to keep the place tidy while they're there :pac: it's obviously not possible, so I just make myself relax and enjoy the fun. And the main thing is they're having a blast. I have it all tidied in minutes when they're gone. It's only a few years before they're old enough to tidy up after themselves anyway.

Some spiteful as ever comments here. Huge naivety regarding young children too.

Agree with the joys of having the kids/grandkids around.

But the problem nowadays i they dont bloody tidy up after themselves...they never learned in most cases.. I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The OP should read Eric Abrahamson and David H. Freedman's book A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder. People spend far too much cleaning and organizing, when, in fact, moderately disorganized people tend to be more efficient and more creative than those who devote more of their time and energy to neatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hal3000 wrote: »
    To any parents reading this and looking around their cluttered house. Don’t just throw stuff out, consider giving it to a charity shop or free on adverts.ie

JESUS NO! :eek:

The dismantled bunk bed I mentioned in my first post that's currently blocking up my kitchen was given away free on Adverts. We have two perfectly good beds upstairs that the kids sleep in. All your unwanted stuff will end up in my house!

We had a Fisher Price baby toy - a star shaped projector that played lullaby music. It broke, so I brought it to the Council waste centre for WEE. Three weeks later, my wife comes back from one of her regular trips to the charity shops (always a withdrawal, rarely a deposit). She proudly produces this Fisher Price star shaped projector that she bought for 2 euro saying it will will replace the broken one we threw out. I point out the familiar stickers on it. Throw in some batteries, and of course it doesn't work. Yeah, she bought back the very broken toy we threw out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nobody is talking about sterile other than posters making excuses for why their houses are untidy. I’m talking about family homes with young children that have accumulated too much clutter and mountains of unwashed clothes.

Why do Irish parents think that having children and maintaining a household is so different than it was twenty years ago?

Untidy according to who exactly...you is it?

It is entirely subjective and you really are the classy person to be invited to other peoples homes and stand there judging. Who made you judge and jury on the state of other peoples homes?

Trying to maintain an immaculate home with kids is a pointless task and well, people have more pressing matters. By the sound of the OP there is not much going in that life.

Maybe I have missed it but do you or have you raised children?

BTW....I live in England and I have seen messy houses over here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

All the people here whose house is messy now because their kids are young, do you imagine it’s going to change as they get older ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Genuine question . Why does anyone care what other peoples homes are like ?
    My house is tidy and organised because I like it so . I am not bothered at all how other people like their houses to be
    My friends house is cluttered and a tad untidy , I absolutely love going there because she is warm and kind and a good friend . Far more important than how her house looks to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cyrus wrote: »
    All the people here whose house is messy now because their kids are young, do you imagine it’s going to change as they get older ?

Absolutely. Been there, done that. And saw many more likewise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nobody is talking about sterile other than posters making excuses for why their houses are untidy. I’m talking about family homes with young children that have accumulated too much clutter and mountains of unwashed clothes.

Why do Irish parents think that having children and maintaining a household is so different than it was twenty years ago?

I get more concerned by houses where there are people with no kids and its untidy and/or unhygienically dirty (bathrooms, kitchens etc).

You clearly have zero clue what it is like to have kids and a house and work.Or even have kids and not work.My house is dirtier the days I am home all day with the kids.I do washing with a toddler wrapped around my leg,who will maybe tolerate me hanging some clothes out and filling the machine...once.Certainly he won't hang around while I fold/distribute/iron/hang out more clothes. There are crumbs all over the kitchen floor from their eating, three meals a day -no matter how often I sweep it.Lucky to get dishes washed between feeding/cleaning hands/dealing with rows/rescuing said toddler from whatever dilemma he finds himself in etc.Toys on the floor where they are playing...no point picking the up til after bedtime because my entire day could be spent picking up toys which is impossible because of having to do the stuff mentioned above.And that's just a fraction of it.

Kids make their presence felt because they demand your time and attention unequivocally and they do not care what else you might have to do.But you don't understand that until you have them.You should probably stop trying, judge your friends and one day if you have kids yourself, you might get it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

4 kids here house falling down here bring back the good room or the parlour as they used call it where we could smoke a few cigars and drink some fine whiskey in a bit of peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Neat freaks generally don’t have OCD though. OCD is such a debilitating condition that I struggle not to roll my eyes when people say they have it simply because they like their house spotless.

I can’t tell if HappyAsLarE genuinely has it though. He might do.

I dunno if I technically have OCD, but I would say half of my time is wasted on needless compulsions like cleaning out under the sink every day etc. I know this is wasted time, but i want to do it and would be very annoyed if someone interrupted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I dunno if I technically have OCD, but I would say half of my time is wasted on needless compulsions like cleaning out under the sink every day etc. I know this is wasted time, but i want to do it and would be very annoyed if someone interrupted me.

Ah, right. I thought you meant that you had an actual diagnosis. :)

Off topic, but as I mentioned earlier on the thread, I think it would be a very interesting AMA for someone to do, to help people to understand how debilitating OCD is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

SirChenjin wrote: »

Ah, right. I thought you meant that you had an actual diagnosis. :)

Off topic, but as I mentioned earlier on the thread, I think it would be a very interesting AMA for someone to do, to help people to understand how debilitating OCD is.

My partner has ocd. Diagnosed. It's not debilitating. She has to take the second thing in the supermarket, not the front one and when I forget she will get panicky and return to correct it. The volume in the car must be an even number or a five. In general she needs things to be a certain way. Her handbag is like most people's check in luggage. Minor stuff. It's only diagnosed because she has a bunch of other issues. Most ocd is fairly minor. The extreme cases are rare but very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Guy Person wrote: »
    A woman looking for a cleaner???

giphy.gif

I should be brought outside and shot. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jaysus, I havent cleaned out under the sink in the 12 years I've lived in this house. Might be all sorts of treasures in there.

And spiders.

No, it can wait another 12 years so.

I should be brought outside and shot. :D
    No Leg End! That isn't right! Sure how would you clean up the mess?

No Leg End! That isn't right! Sure how would you clean up the mess?

Damn! I didn't think of that. :(

That's because of your tiny woman brain. Please don't get upset at that remark, it's just proven fact.

887d0b52864501fec6463076d2bcbfd4.gif

That's because of your tiny woman brain. Please don't get upset at that remark, it's just proven fact.

887d0b52864501fec6463076d2bcbfd4.gif

Oh dear, perhaps you could offer some sage masculine advice, it's all very confusing.

Oh dear, perhaps you could offer some sage masculine advice, it's all very confusing.
    Sex change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Messy houses the OP's biggest worry. Is he Howard Hughes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's ok , you said brought outside and shot , at least inside your home would still be clean :D

Sex change?
    I'm not sure that rearranging my pink bits would automatically give me a superior male brain.

I should probably just stay in the kitchen.

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    It's ok , you said brought outside and shot , at least inside your home would still be clean biggrin.png
    I'm not sure that rearranging my pink bits would automatically give me a superior male brain.

I should probably just stay in the kitchen.
    That is man like thinking by the both of you. I am very impressed. If you were in my presence now I would give you both a deserved pat on the bum, everybody knows how much women love them.

Leg End Reject I am going to log off now and think of your pink bits for a while.

Advertisement