Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Invincible

Anyone a link with a recommended screen protector preferably hardened glass type?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone had to do a screen replacement for their? My screen got a crack and it's starting to get a bit unresponsive so thinking I probably need to replace the screen. Just wondering is it something I can do myself or am I better off to drop it into someone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Slight tangent here. What buyers are recommended for Xiaomi stuff?
    I've got a Redmi Note 4 and am now looking to get a Mi Pad 4. The seller I used for the phone (The Solution Shop) is gone now so who is out there that is trusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Slight tangent here. What buyers are recommended for Xiaomi stuff?
    I've got a Redmi Note 4 and am now looking to get a Mi Pad 4. The seller I used for the phone (The Solution Shop) is gone now so who is out there that is trusted?

Honorbuy. are faultless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Honorbuy. are faultless

Would agree. No issues with the phones I've purchased. Fast delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Amazon .de .es etc if warranty/ Customer service is paramount

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Damnit.. the latest AIB Internet Banking app is detecting my Redmi Note 5 as rooted, and won't let me use the app - that's frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

Basq wrote: »
    Damnit.. the latest AIB Internet Banking app is detecting my Redmi Note 5 as rooted, and won't let me use the app - that's frustrating!

If using Magisk for root (shouldn't be using anything else), use the Hide function on the app. Or if possible with your rom, use a non root second device account.

AIB app still functions for me on an Oreo rom.

Just double checked and not working anymore.

Second account still working for me.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry, should have mentioned..

.. I don't even have it rooted. That's why it's annoying..

EDIT: lots of people with same issue too on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/d3m70u/aib_app_saying_device_is_rooted_even_when_its_not

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Honorbuy have it here for €223:
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1469-xiaomi-mi-pad-4-64gb-tablet-black.html

Geekbuying have it here with a Global ROM for €198:
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi-Pad-4-WiFi-Tablet-PC-4GB-64GB-Black-399473.html?admitad_uid=55e76b1892df840bba076b8ebf289b5a&utm_source=admitad&utm_content=329643

Sunsky have it even cheaper (€181) but I don't like the look of their website TBH.

Is there a difference in the ROMs between these two devices? It looks as if the HonorBuy item does not have the Global ROM - yet it states it supports English.
    I don't know enough to figure out which is the better option.

Is there anything in these links that should persuade me to opt for one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Thanks for the replies.

Honorbuy have it here for €223:
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1469-xiaomi-mi-pad-4-64gb-tablet-black.html

Geekbuying have it here with a Global ROM for €198:
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi-Pad-4-WiFi-Tablet-PC-4GB-64GB-Black-399473.html?admitad_uid=55e76b1892df840bba076b8ebf289b5a&utm_source=admitad&utm_content=329643

Sunsky have it even cheaper (€181) but I don't like the look of their website TBH.

Is there a difference in the ROMs between these two devices? It looks as if the HonorBuy item does not have the Global ROM - yet it states it supports English.
    I don't know enough to figure out which is the better option.

Is there anything in these links that should persuade me to opt for one over the other?

I bought the honourbuy one no issues and no work to be done had playstore and everything on it

Did it have the Global ROM installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

@ funky monkey
    have bought from sunsky lots of times with no issues

This is the sunsky one:
    https://www.sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.itemNo=WMC8973B

Anyone know what the Global ROM is for these aqnd if it is difficult to get and install?

Earlier today I installed MIUI 11 beta via Xiaomi.eu

As smooth as butter, actually I find the animations and transitions are super smooth to the point I feel like I have a new phone (or maybe a result of a full wipe?!).

No crashes or stutters so far.
    Looks very promising indeed!

Looking to buy the tablet this week.
    Should I opt for Honorbuy version ahead of the others?

Tablet?
    Anyhow yes HonorBuy of you don't want any hassle/stress.
    Bit expensive for delivery, but at least you'll get it, and fast too.

Here my current MIUI 11 battery stats for anyone who's interested. I'm using 2 SIMs btw.

Last charged: 1d 5h 33m
    Current charge: 3%
    Screen on time: 8h 22m

Mixed usage on both WiFi and 4g data.
    I purposely stayed away from gaming.
    So browsing, reading news, some YouTube, messaging etc.
    Bluetooth to amazfit bip, wireless earphones and car.

Not bad, I'm impressed :)

biebiebie wrote: »
    Tablet?
    Anyhow yes HonorBuy of you don't want any hassle/stress.
    Bit expensive for delivery, but at least you'll get it, and fast too.

Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 - links on previous page.

Banggood now the cheapest (€180 - or an additional €15 for the LTE version).
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-pad-4-wi-fi-4gb-64gb

Edit: I've just been reading up on Banggood - they seem to be a decent seller. Can purchase through Paypal for additional protection.
    Hase anyone here got an opinion on them?

• Advertisement

Never had a problem with banggood or gearbest.
    However I've only ever purchased small inexpensive items. With PayPal you're usually safe enough. Just be cautious about customs.

Bought from Banggood. Took the customs ins for €4. Was a lot cheaper than the others and paid via PayPal.

Here my current MIUI 11 battery stats for anyone who's interested. I'm using 2 SIMs btw.

Last charged: 1d 5h 33m
    Current charge: 3%
    Screen on time: 8h 22m

Mixed usage on both WiFi and 4g data.
    I purposely stayed away from gaming.
    So browsing, reading news, some YouTube, messaging etc.
    Bluetooth to amazfit bip, wireless earphones and car.

Not bad, I'm impressed :)
    Great battery performance, wouldn't let it run that low too often, some recommend not depleting below 20% and not charging above 85% to preserve battery life.

Yeah agreed I usually don't run it so low.
    This was really a test to get an indication of what MIUI 11 could offer in terms of battery life.
    Also I remember reading that it's supposed to be good to run it very low every so often (maybe once a month?)

I've had this phone about 1.5 years now and battery life hasn't really degraded over the course of ownership, which is impressive (especially as I push mine hard gaming!)

Yeah agreed I usually don't run it so low.
    This was really a test to get an indication of what MIUI 11 could offer in terms of battery life.
    Also I remember reading that it's supposed to be good to run it very low every so often (maybe once a month?)

I've had this phone about 1.5 years now and battery life hasn't really degraded over the course of ownership, which is impressive (especially as I push mine hard gaming!)

I've had a G4+ in use about 2.5 yrs and have noticed since June battery depletes much faster, put this down to leaving on too long, charging to full capacity.
    Waiting on case with screen protector to arrive from Ali to put the Note 5 into operation ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Looking to upgrade the note 7 pro for Xmas what's the best model to buy now and from where ? I ordered the note 7 online from honourbuy had no issues is that still the same .thanks

Yes HonorBuy still the same

Bought from Banggood. Took the customs ins for €4. Was a lot cheaper than the others and paid via PayPal.

Still waiting for it to be shipped. Noted for shipping tomorrow. Seems a bit slow - is that normal or is it something to worry about?

No hopefully shouldn't be.
    Once shipped you'll have it quick enough. Possibly Friday or Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Want to get a new mobile for my wife for Xmas. She currently has the Redmi Note 3 (I think, I have the 5).
    For up to €200 is the Note 7 the best buy? For about €150 what would be best?
    Main use- browsing internet.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Advertisement