Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you genotyped the animals you were asked to do and sent be the samples to Weatherbys you should be in order.

Yes but should the tags still be in the ear after you take the sample. 2 of mine the tags broke when tagging them but the tags didnt stay in

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

whelan2 wrote: »
    Yes but should the tags still be in the ear after you take the sample. 2 of mine the tags broke when tagging them but the tags didnt stay in

You know and I know tags fall out of animals ears and so do inspectors ....

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Did you use all 4/5 star A.I. straws on your cows sonnybill?

No the 5 TVR straws I used brought me under the 80%. He was five star previous to 2016 but fell away due to his % calving difficulty. Costing me E618 now !! It’d be easier stomach if I borrowed a scrub bull but I paid E40 a go to use a 60k value National cattle breeding centre owned top sire of show calves

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

TVR has CD of over 17%.... did you have a hard job calving them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

You know and I know tags fall out of animals ears and so do inspectors ....

I don't use tags, take hair samples. Cattle don't even notice I'm up to something. So if an inspector is looking for white tags on my cattle there will be nothing but disappointment for all.:P

• Advertisement

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    TVR has CD of over 17%.... did you have a hard job calving them?

No 5 out of 5 bull calves unassisted , 2 from BB cows

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Any chance of recouping the penalties applied to payments on the BDGP scheme?

I only filled in the rest of the ICBF surveys and carbon navigator today when I realised i had penalties - so wondering if this money can be paid back to me in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

KatyMac wrote: »
    I don't use tags, take hair samples. Cattle don't even notice I'm up to something. So if an inspector is looking for white tags on my cattle there will be nothing but disappointment for all.:P

Inspector came and went and said everything was fine.

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Any chance of recouping the penalties applied to payments on the BDGP scheme?

I only filled in the rest of the ICBF surveys and carbon navigator today when I realised i had penalties - so wondering if this money can be paid back to me in time?

Yeah I think they pay balance when info has been updated

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We never got the money back for surveys not filled in. Maybe it's changed

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    We never got the money back for surveys not filled in. Maybe it's changed

I filled them in for a neighbour and he got outstanding money in a later payment run but they have changed the t and c’s and may have changed that too

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

sonnybill wrote: »
    I filled them in for a neighbour and he got outstanding money in a later payment run but they have changed the t and c’s and may have changed that too

Rang dept today and they said they pay back for complete surveys and navigators but not until May 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Just checked on my BDGP payment online and I've been hit with a 60% penalty for missing my 5 star AI bull target by 5%.

According to the terms and conditions of the scheme this should be a 10% penalty, and elsewhere it states if you receive more than a 50% reduction in one year you'll be rejected from the scheme.

Looks like they'll be booting me out so!

Think I'll be ringing Caaavan.....

Justjens wrote: »
    Just checked on my BDGP payment online and I've been hit with a 60% penalty for missing my 5 star AI bull target by 5%.

According to the terms and conditions of the scheme this should be a 10% penalty, and elsewhere it states if you receive more than a 50% reduction in one year you'll be rejected from the scheme.

Looks like they'll be booting me out so!

Think I'll be ringing Caaavan.....

The maximum payment for non-compliance with the 4/5 Star Bull/AI is 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

The maximum payment for non-compliance with the 4/5 Star Bull/AI is 60%

Do you mean maximum penalty?

tanko wrote: »
    Do you mean maximum penalty?

Apologies, I meant the maximum Penalty of course

Apologies, I meant the maximum Penalty of course

Seems a tad harsh imposing the maximum penalty considering I was only 5% shy of the 80%, I'd consider it a disproportionate penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Justjens wrote: »
    Seems a tad harsh imposing the maximum penalty considering I was only 5% shy of the 80%, I'd consider it a disproportionate penalty.

Always query a penalty, they can't increase it but a large amount are reduced on appeal.

At the very least, you'll be no worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Always query a penalty, they can't increase it but a large amount are reduced on appeal.

As in the query in a the payment in question on ag food? , is that how u do it , I never did it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

if You used a bull up to now could you switch to all ai for the last year of thr scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

As in the query in a the payment in question on ag food? , is that how u do it , I never did it before

No, contact the Dept in writing, the address should be on the website probably in Portlaoise, and tell them why you think the penalty is too high.

And keep a copy of the letter you sent and keep a record of postage from the post office. I've heard of stuff going 'missing' after being sent in but 'found' once you can show what you sent and have proof of sending it.

It's got to the stage in my local office that I request a stamped copy of what i hand in from whomever takes the form from me, even a ER94b form at this stage.

Have every intention of appealing it. Have been having fertility issues for the last couple of years that turned out to be Lepto, just need to find out how many of the culled cows/heifers were AI'd.

If I didn't have my mad Beltie as an added interest I'd have been flying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

if You used a bull up to now could you switch to all ai for the last year of thr scheme?

Yeah you can, you can also use a mixture of both so long as the stock bull qualifies and at least 80% of the resulting calves of Ai are off qualifying bulls.

Correct!

No, contact the Dept in writing, the address should be on the website probably in Portlaoise, and tell them why you think the penalty is too high.

And keep a copy of the letter you sent and keep a record of postage from the post office. I've heard of stuff going 'missing' after being sent in but 'found' once you can show what you sent and have proof of sending it.

It's got to the stage in my local office that I request a stamped copy of what i hand in from whomever takes the form from me, even a ER94b form at this stage.

Appeal to beefschemes@agriculture.gov.ie or Beef Schemes Section, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Government Buildings, Old Abbeyleix Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Looking at the indo this week it appears that 5 star cows fart less than 1star ... the follow on scheme for genomics will probably follow same lines as today with lots of stars based on farts rather than facts on cattle we breed...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Bellview wrote: »
    Looking at the indo this week it appears that 5 star cows fart less than 1star ... the follow on scheme for genomics will probably follow same lines as today with lots of stars based on farts rather than facts on cattle we breed...

Do u ever sleep

I did hair sample on my bull months ago.. no sign of him being passed as eligible yet.. anyone have a timescale on genotype to them verifying him as eligible , I paid the E22 to have him done as bought in after they had genotype samples sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I did hair sample on my bull months ago.. no sign of him being passed as eligible yet.. anyone have a timescale on genotype to them verifying him as eligible , I paid the E22 to have him done as bought in after they had genotype samples sent out

if you call wetherbys they can give you timeline. the official results may not get published until next round in Jan

• Advertisement

Thought it was now 20 euro to genotype animals?

Advertisement