Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Baked beans.
    Bovril eaters.
    Fried tomatoes.
    People who lovingly keep birds in cages and never let them out :.o
    Spiteful bitter women.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t get “ renewal of marriage vows “
    Now I know some people might have had difficulties and make a decision to renew their vows . But this new trend of ordinary people a few years down the line renewing vows is mad
    Did they forget what they said or think they were out of date or what ?

That usually happens if one of the partners has been up to no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

dubstarr wrote: »
    That usually happens if one of the partners has been up to no good

oe the brode feels she meeds another day out. Dont mind if in her first one she was whale sized & wants better pics or if there had been poor family circumstances for the first ( sadness/sickness, etc) but the whole second expense for anither big day out plus gifts... Im turning mean in my old age.

Another thing I dont get.People who have Im pregnant lunches (gifts), baby showers ( more gifts), and huge catered /restaurant for a hundred christenings. Its lovely that they’re excited but its an endless expectation on their family/friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Another thing I dont get.People who have Im pregnant lunches (gifts), baby showers ( more gifts), and huge catered /restaurant for a hundred christenings. Its lovely that they’re excited but its an endless expectation on their family/friends.

I think this is largely a female thing. My missus has a friend who got in a big huff with her a while back because she didn't go away with her for her 40th. She was going for a week in Vegas ffs.

Sure, i'll just put the kids in kennels for the week will I and spend thousands of euros just because it's your fúcking birthday. That's not at all self centered it's a lovely idea, thanks for the invite!

Some people really need a good kick up the hole! Whatever happened to a night in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I can kind of see that attraction there, but what I really don't get is the fake tan. Also fake nails and fake eye brows. It's like there's no appreciation for natural beauty anymore.

This so much! Then there's the obsession with contouring and massive bushy eyebrows with a life of their own. Add the insta-filters or whatever the f*ck they're called and the end result is that everyone looks the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭pgj2015

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t get “ renewal of marriage vows “
    Now I know some people might have had difficulties and make a decision to renew their vows . But this new trend of ordinary people a few years down the line renewing vows is mad
    Did they forget what they said or think they were out of date or what ?

didnt vogue williams get married two years in a row to the same guy.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pgj2015 wrote: »
    didnt vogue williams get married two years in a row to the same guy.:pac:

Ha Vogue Williams. I have a little project going where I read every article about her on the MSN newsfeed. I had never heard of her before. 3 or 4 months in I am still not entirely sure what she does for a living or shy she is featured in articles. I get that her hubby was a reality TV participant but cannot get why there are 'news' articles about them. They both seem equally vacuous.

Reminds me of Brian O'Driscoll's wife. Never heard of her and then there was loads of news stories then she disappeared again. Amy something?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ha Vogue Williams. I have a little project going where I read every article about her on the MSN newsfeed. I had never heard of her before. 3 or 4 months in I am still not entirely sure what she does for a living or shy she is featured in articles. I get that her hubby was a reality TV participant but cannot get why there are 'news' articles about them. They both seem equally vacuous.

Reminds me of Brian O'Driscoll's wife. Never heard of her and then there was loads of news stories then she disappeared again. Amy something?

Hooverman? :D

I used to get annoyed by the media coverage of these bints but in reality, the media are only supplying a demand. It's the vacuous idiots who "follow" them that should be exterminated*

* this might be a bit extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Amy had an acting career back in 2000.
    She's also a comedian.
    She's as well known as he is.

She was married to Brian McFadden as well.I have watched her shows before,shes actually a really good presenter.

Her sis in law now is one of the Middletons

• Advertisement

She's also a comedian.

comedian? never knew that. cant find any of her stand up on youtube,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

She's also a comedian.

Never heard of her outside of BOD.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Amy Schumer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Never heard of her outside of BOD.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Amy Schumer?

Nope.
    Maybe more an actor that had done comedy than a comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Amy Huberman is an actress on TV and minor films - since before meeting Brian O'Driscoll. She also has her own fashion brand. Being married to him doubtless helped in this regard but that's the way of the world. She seems all right.

Vogue is part of that vacuous world indeed but she has surprisingly done some documentary presenting. Inoffensive.

It's people fawning over the likes of them that's a head scratcher all right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Nope.
    Maybe more an actor that had done comedy than a comedian.

Gotta call you out on this one ! Amy Huberman was never a comedian..or indeed an actor that has done comedy ..

Where has she done comedy ??

Gotta call you out on this one ! Amy Huberman was never a comedian..or indeed an actor that has done comedy ..

Yeah it was a recent show she did all right but not anything before it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Breaking Bad.

Just, doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Striking Out and Finding Joy were laughably bad, if that counts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Breaking Bad.

Just, doesn't do it for me.

Same.

I watched the whole thing, with Hal from Malcolm in the middle in my head... to me he was just never believable as a serious criminal. It seemed like satire the whole time to me. I guess that's the power of typecasting for you in a nutshell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People getting fierce worked up about century old RIC/DMP history, meanwhile back in the 21st cent., someone gets crushed in a tent with a utility vehicle and some kid gets chopped into pieces. Where's the outrage for that?

Gemma Collins

People getting fierce worked up about century old RIC/DMP history, meanwhile back in the 21st cent., someone gets crushed in a tent with a utility vehicle and some kid gets chopped into pieces. Where's the outrage for that?

Have you read the news today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have you read the news today?

Fairly fcuking muted public reaction in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

“Unfortunately the backend returned an error”

That wasn’t an error I farted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

• Fake tan. It always looks bad. It's like bad CGI, it just takes you out of the film.
    • Cake faces. The average make-up wearing person here in Ireland wears too much make-up, in my opinion. It's not subtle, to compliment features, it's gone full-on pantomime or like a transvestite/alternative miss world levels.
    • I also don't get why people think it's now acceptable to watch videos on their phone with no earphones. Earphones and never before been in such abundance, and so cheap! They're included with phones FFS.
    • Smelly old men. What's the story there? They just give up and smell spicey af.
    • People that hoof smokes in to them and then get on bus. Don't sit beside me. You smell horrible.

• Fake tan. It always looks bad. It's like bad CGI, it just takes you out of the film.
    • Cake faces. The average make-up wearing person here in Ireland wears too much make-up, in my opinion. It's not subtle, to compliment features, it's gone full-on pantomime or like a transvestite/alternative miss world levels.
    • I also don't get why people think it's now acceptable to watch videos on their phone with no earphones. Earphones and never before been in such abundance, and so cheap! They're included with phones FFS.
    • Smelly old men. What's the story there? They just give up and smell spicey af.
    • People that hoof smokes in to them and then get on bus. Don't sit beside me. You smell horrible.
    Are you me? :)

Spiteful bitter women.
    I doubt anyone "gets" spiteful bitter people (apart from their fellow spiteful and bitter folk)!
    I think this is largely a female thing. My missus has a friend who got in a big huff with her a while back because she didn't go away with her for her 40th. She was going for a week in Vegas ffs.

Sure, i'll just put the kids in kennels for the week will I and spend thousands of euros just because it's your fúcking birthday. That's not at all self centered it's a lovely idea, thanks for the invite!

Some people really need a good kick up the hole! Whatever happened to a night in the pub?
    And the hen plus the kitchen party, let alone the wedding! Or the baby shower plus the christening. Now sometimes the kitchen party can be like a smaller event for people who couldn't make the hen (might be e.g. for mothers, grandmothers etc) and the hen might just be a night in town or a night away but just Ireland. Or the baby shower might be a surprise arranged by friends. And there's no obligation to attend these or give gifts for all of them. But a minority expect attendance and gifts for all, along with the hen or wedding abroad. No shame!

Some would be over the moon at the offer of an excuse of a week away in Vegas with friends, a break from the kids etc

Some would be over the moon at the offer of an excuse of a week away in Vegas with friends, a break from the kids etc
    Of course, if there was no issue with a babysitter for a week, or money, or another holiday already planned and sufficient annual leave.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Of course, if there was no issue with a babysitter for a week, or money, or another holiday already planned and sufficient annual leave.

What’s stopping the husband minding the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Maybe the husband and wife actually like each other and want to save their holiday time for each other?

A friend of mine told me he was disowned by a childhood friend recently because he wouldn't travel across two continents (at an expense of +€5k) to the guy's wedding after not seeing him for several years. He was apologetic and everything, couldn't take the time off work and couldn't afford it. When the guy blocked him, he said he was surprised at first but ultimately, given the fact that they had stopped contact years before, he really didn't care. I thought it was the definition of petty.

What’s stopping the husband minding the kids?
    Work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Adults (including my eldest sister) being into the Harry Potter books and films
    Game of Thrones
    Most forms of gambling, excepting poker
    Taking endless selfies and posting them up on social media
    Stress and insecurity over planning over the top weddings
    All this extreme guff over transgender, gender “fluid”, non-binary, etc etc...
    Memes and hashtags
    The term “woke”

ITT: People confusing "don't get" with "don't like".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

JupiterKid wrote: »
    All this extreme guff over transgender, gender “fluid”, non-binary, etc etc...
    Memes and hashtags
    The term “woke”

Coming from the user with the rainbow avatar...

Work?

Well assuming the wife works too? I would say most if not all people I know with kids would have gone on separate trips away with friends abroad and/or in Ireland. People travel a lot for work too so they have no issue managing with one of the couple away for a few days up to a few weeks.

I’m not really questioning someone not going it’s the post which made it sound like why would anyone ever what to go on a trip away with friends (and a list of easily discounted excuses as to why not) that I’m challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Amy Huberman is an actress on TV and minor films - since before meeting Brian O'Driscoll. She also has her own fashion brand. Being married to him doubtless helped in this regard but that's the way of the world. She seems all right.

Vogue is part of that vacuous world indeed but she has surprisingly done some documentary presenting. Inoffensive.

It's people fawning over the likes of them that's a head scratcher all right though.

Aaaaah, she got those documentaries after becoming prominent for, as mentioned before, fuck knows what.

She did a dreadful sitcom on Comedy Central six or seven years ago. But was never a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I never got the whole appeal with Las Vegas. Spending any amount of time there sounds like my idea of hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Walking (and I use the term loosely) whilst on facebook etc or stopping in a door way of a shop to take out phone to text etc.

Can it not wait, it can't be THAT important....

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Pegging, what is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

What’s pegging?

Jamsiek wrote: »
    What’s pegging?

I use the tumble dryer this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

You don't know what you're missing :D

Adult pyjamas with kids cartoons on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Adult pyjamas

No way. Hubs and I have gone to a lot of stags and hens respectively over the last few years and the stags have been consistently way more extravagant. On my end, the hens have generally made a great effort to make it affordable for everyone and it’ll be a night or two or sometimes just an evening with no overnight stay.

Hubs, on the other hand, has had to travel out of the country for every single stag party and they’ve been two nights usually or even three. A friend of his is getting married in the US this summer (missus-to-be is American) and he is having his stag in Spain. I just can’t get over that. So much expense.

Definitely not just a female thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I don't get the "share" option on p0rn websites. Who shares!?

Not that I've ever been on one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Porn websites.

I just don't get why people use them.

That's what tumblr is for.

Advertisement