Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Geuze wrote: »
    Isn't there a shadow toll on the M17?

They are no shadow tolls in ireland there is a few in the UK they more vehicles use it the payments lower

Rathmorrisy 27/09/15
    uLaOn8w.jpg
    27/07/19
    h703Lef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

From Claregalway exit to Tuam is fairly bendy. What's the reason for this? Hardly a strategy for reduced speed?
    Also, anyone confirm the speed limit on this section-100 or 120?
    Thanks,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

dinneenp wrote: »
    From Claregalway exit to Tuam is fairly bendy. What's the reason for this? Hardly a strategy for reduced speed?
    Also, anyone confirm the speed limit on this section-100 or 120?
    Thanks,
    Pa

120. As the signs says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

dinneenp wrote: »
    From Claregalway exit to Tuam is fairly bendy. What's the reason for this?
    I'm only guessing here, but part of that bendiness comes around Corofin, where they had to do a fair amount of blasting to clear a path for the road. Possibly an alternative would have involved even more work/cost.

Further on, the road skirts around housing, so I'd guess the less CPOing and possible delays in court, the better. Look what's happening with the M20, for God's sake.

In both scenarios above the answer is the same - it's the path of least resistance for the road, either due to ground conditions, or for legal reasons.

• Advertisement

Illegal dumping poses flood threat to motorway
    kY3oJdr.jpg

iX925X5.jpg
    Today's tuam herald

As of this morning they have opened the 2 lay bys 1 on the m18 2 kms north of exit 17 and 1 on the m17 2 kms north of exit 19

The start of the new year is a good time to look at usage on this road.

From 2018 to 2019, traffic on the upper part of the M17 was up by 250 vehicles, or 2.75%, from 8,954 to 9,200.

Meanwhile, traffic on the lower part jumped by 1,000 vehicles, or 9%, from 10,582 to 11,526.

Meanwhile, for the M18, traffic on the upper part (after Kilternan) increased by 800 or so vehicles, a 7.5% increase, from 10,798 to 11,617.

The lower part saw a traffic increase of over 1,000 vehicles, or 8.5%, from 12,404 to 13,464.

Meanwhile the M6 near the Oranmore junction is just shy of 30K vehicles, having seen a 4.3% increase of 1,233 vehicles from 28,753 to 29,986.

Also:
    The average daily volume of traffic on [Galway] city’s road network is more than 120,000

serfboard wrote: »
    Meanwhile, traffic on the lower part jumped by 1,000 vehicles, or 9%, from 10,582 to 11,526.
    By the way, the 2019 number of 11,526 means that the Southern section of the M17 is busier than one of the sections of the M7 (J19->J21).

Admittedly the quietest section, but still ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is there a problem with the surface. Everytime there is hail shower it seems to cause no end of accidents .

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is there a problem with the surface. Everytime there is hail shower it seems to cause no end of accidents .

Yeah, there's hail on the surface and drivers don't adjust their speed to compensate for the little ice marbles between their tyres and the surface

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's not a lot that can be done to keep motorways up to high speed in hail conditions. It's not the same as snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

flazio wrote: »
    There's not a lot that can be done to keep motorways up to high speed in hail conditions. It's not the same as snow.

Or it is the same as snow. It is dangerous to drive fast in either condition.

As an aside, snow should be considered in two categories - snow above minus approx seven and snow below minus seven degrees. The first is very slippery while the second is hard. The driving techniques required are not the same, but keeping a steady low speed and keeping back from the vehicle in front works for both. It is very rare in Ireland to get the second type - but we did get it in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Or it is the same as snow. It is dangerous to drive fast in either condition.

As an aside, snow should be considered in two categories - snow above minus approx seven and snow below minus seven degrees. The first is very slippery while the second is hard. The driving techniques required are not the same, but keeping a steady low speed and keeping back from the vehicle in front works for both. It is very rare in Ireland to get the second type - but we did get it in 2010.

Centigrade or Fahrenheit because it doesn't really snow below 0 centigrade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Reuben1210 wrote: »

Wrong if it is damp it can snow at really cold temperatures but if it can get too dry to snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Centigrade. I am talking about the temperature of the snow.

Frozen water, ice or snow, at a temperature just below zero Celsius, will melt under pressure. The pressure exerted by a vehicle will melt snow when it is up to -7 degrees C. That is why ice and snow is slippy at these temperatures, and why ice skaters can skate.

Below minus 7 C, the ice remains frozen and it is like concrete. This is why snowmobiles work.

Bit of physics there. Hope you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It can snow up to 4°c, even 5°c in the right conditions. Anyway I'm not sure OP is talking about air temperature, more the temperature of the snow itself.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It can snow up to 4°c, even 5°c in the right conditions. Anyway I'm not sure OP is talking about air temperature, more the temperature of the snow itself.

It is the temperature of the snow. If it snows above zero, the snow will turn to slush. It will only settle when the ground is cold enough, and then it is extremely dangerous with snow on top of slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hail is also a big issue, especially along the section between crusheen and gort. Drivers really struggle to adjust to these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Hail is also a big issue, especially along the section between crusheen and gort. Drivers really struggle to adjust to these conditions.

Slowing down usually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Slowing down usually works.

Braking hard probably causes the issue.

Mod: Can we leave the snow, Ice and such for the motoring forum. Spring is coming.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Mod: See above post. Post deleted.

No snow - we have moved into Spring - it is St Brdget's Day - 1st day of spring according to Celtic customs.

I found this picture and thought i'd share it for a bit of a laugh.

It's myself near Kiltiernan, enjoying the fresh tarmac 1 day before opening.

(I hope the picture uploads...)

Kiltiernan, 26/09/17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Did you go back to 1984 to take those pictures? :P

Truckermal wrote: »
    Did you go back to 1984 to take those pictures? :P

Haha! The missus took them, printed them out, lost them, and then found them again.

I then photoed the photos.

I wish I was more tech-savvy....

Fields next to the m17 3kms form tuam 11/02/20
    SYoDMVs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

m17 wrote: »
    Fields next to the m17 3kms form tuam 11/02/20

How close to the road surface is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Anyone know the speed limit on the R354, particularly the old lackagh cemetery? I see it has been designated for a new go safe zone...

Advertisement