Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of funeral

Options
  • 17-04-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I just want to find out roughly the cost of a funeral in Dublin, my father passed away a few weeks ago in a nursing home from covid 19. Today we received the funeral bill and could not believe the price €8200. My mother died 2 and a half years ago. The difference being her funeral had a few funeral cars for the family, a mass in a church, music in the church, a book of condolences, embalming of her body and her name in the herald. My father had none of these just 10 family members at the grave for burial. And to add they both had the exact same coffin. Me and my sister's are very angry at this as my father did not get a proper send off yet we are been charged all this money. Forgot to mention my mother's cosymt €6900

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Condolences OP.

Are your parents buried in the same plot?
    I’d ask the undertaker for an itemized bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Jayisplay

It was actually eating at me so I just rang them today and they said it was a mistake , that no way was it that price so all is good thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mumm_ra

Not really all good - in times of grieve some don't challenge. If you didn't have a benchmark would you have questioned it? I'd ask how the mistake happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Tork

Looking at this article from a few years ago https://www.thejournal.ie/funeral-costs-3036012-Oct2016/ , it would suggest that this shower of undertakers are doing very nicely for themselves. Prices can't have gone up that much in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sorry for your loss Jayisplay. Stay safe and be kind to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

I was actually asking this question during week and thinking funerals should be half the price today that they were we say 2 months ago .. in cork out the county and our average funeral cost would be €8000 and that’s owning a grave . I know this as seen bill for my aunts funeral last September..

Mumm_ra wrote: »
    Not really all good - in times of grieve some don't challenge. If you didn't have a benchmark would you have questioned it? I'd ask how the mistake happened.

Suppose so , if I didn’t have the bill from my mothers funeral we probably wouldn’t have been none the wiser.

Purgative wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss Jayisplay. Stay safe and be kind to yourself.

Thank you , what makes it harder was not getting to say goodbye

Addle wrote: »
    Condolences OP.

Are your parents buried in the same plot?
    I’d ask the undertaker for an itemized bill.

From my little experience I think all funeral bills come itemised .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

costacorta wrote: »
    From my little experience I think all funeral bills come itemised .

As uncomfortable as it is I would really appreciate if someone could send me an itemized bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Where is the competition in this service? Who the eff has 8k to spare for anything?

Where is the competition in this service? Who the eff has 8k to spare for anything?

And if you need to buy a grave add another €1000 min to €1800 on top of that plus I see a lot of funerals nowadays come with being invited back fora meal afterwards so that would bring funeral bill to 15k ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was actually asking this question during week and thinking funerals should be half the price today that they were we say 2 months ago .. in cork out the county and our average funeral cost would be €8000 and that’s owning a grave . I know this as seen bill for my aunts funeral last September..

Sorry for your lost OP. Why would they be half price? I cremated my father last week and bill was €6000 give or take a few quid

Trampas wrote: »
    Sorry for your lost OP. Why would they be half price? I cremated my father last week and bill was €6000 give or take a few quid

Firstly sorry for your loss also and reason I was thinking they be half the normal price is funerals are usually a 3 day or sometime 4?days work for undertakers from death to burial . Lately it’s burial day after death and no embalming, cleaning of body etc if Covid related .?. No use of funeral home for removal , no choir , sarcrasent or mass singers to pay . So I’d be disappointed if a funeral today that usually cost 8k would be more than 5k so maybe half was a bit much to be thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Trampas

Firstly sorry for your loss also and reason I was thinking they be half the normal price is funerals are usually a 3 day or sometime 4?days work for undertakers from death to burial . Lately it’s burial day after death and no embalming, cleaning of body etc if Covid related .?. No use of funeral home for removal , no choir , sarcrasent or mass singers to pay . So I’d be disappointed if a funeral today that usually cost 8k would be more than 5k so maybe half was a bit much to be thinking..

Thanks. Undertakers only take over after the coroner has released the body. Then it would be normally get the body ready for next day usually and funeral next day. Only difference been embalming and getting ready for display. Other stuff is all extras on the bill. Remember the funeral home have extra costs now with buying protected clothing also to handle the body. So probably covers the cost of the stuff you don’t get so instead or changing prices they just charge same. Might make a few extra more but wouldn’t be making thousands

Church costs doesn’t cost that much and they’d be all marked down as extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Trampas wrote: »

My father in law was cremated a few weeks back and it cost 6000 too, although no mourning cars were done for covid related reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Natural burial grounds in Wexford cost around 950 for the plot, 200 for the hole to be dug and a cheap biodegradable cardboard coffin. Thats me in the hole for less than 1,500. Funerals are a rip off, they take advantage of a really tough time for a lot of people. I am not religious and would rather my family kept the 6k difference so it's down to wexford for me in the back of a van.

Natural burial grounds in Wexford cost around 950 for the plot, 200 for the hole to be dug and a cheap biodegradable cardboard coffin. Thats me in the hole for less than 1,500. Funerals are a rip off, they take advantage of a really tough time for a lot of people. I am not religious and would rather my family kept the 6k difference so it's down to wexford for me in the back of a van.

The 6k is nothing to do with religion to be fair, in your scenario your family have to collect your corpse go out buy the coffin and organize having the hole dug, stick you in the back of the van then they all will want to traipse down to Wexford to make sure you go in the hole. I doubt they’d be that happy with you.

salmocab wrote: »
    The 6k is nothing to do with religion to be fair, in your scenario your family have to collect your corpse go out buy the coffin and organize having the hole dug, stick you in the back of the van then they all will want to traipse down to Wexford to make sure you go in the hole. I doubt they’d be that happy with you.

No not at all, I have it all arranged and paid for. My family do not have to organise anything. they go to wexford to say goodbye and then go home 6k richer. Lovely nature walk in gorgeous forest setting and a rock with my name on it and a tree planted beside me. No poisonous chemicals in my body so that I'm of some use to the flora and not a priest or greedy funeral director in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How did you arrange that license?

• Advertisement

No not at all, I have it all arranged and paid for. My family do not have to organise anything. they go to wexford to say goodbye and then go home 6k richer. Lovely nature walk in gorgeous forest setting and a rock with my name on it and a tree planted beside me. No poisonous chemicals in my body so that I'm of some use to the flora and not a priest or greedy funeral director in sight.

First of all they don’t go home 6k richer unless you’ve organised cheques to be handed out. So you’ve paid for someone to collect your corpse already and stick it in a box and that’s all included in the 1500?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Jayisplay wrote: »
    It was actually eating at me so I just rang them today and they said it was a mistake , that no way was it that price so all is good thanks.

They sound like chancers but glad you got it resolved.

My father in law was cremated a few weeks back and it cost 6000 too, although no mourning cars were done for covid related reasons.

Sorry for your loss ,, Is that what it would have cost before restrictions? €6k sounds cheap in today’s market. Maybe Dublin and Cork would be dearer for funerals as average without grave is €8k

First of all they don’t go home 6k richer unless you’ve organised cheques to be handed out. So you’ve paid for someone to collect your corpse already and stick it in a box and that’s all included in the 1500?

Obviously they don't go home 6k richer, what I meant is that it's 6k more that I get to leave them so you are being facetious there. Regarding sticking it in a box , thats optional as you can now be buried without a coffin so great cheaper again. and yes I have everything arranged and it will all cost less that approx 1500. Why is it so hard for Irish people to get that there are options. They are opening a similar graveyard in Cork soon and Dublin won't be far behind id wager. If you are religious you can still use a natural burial ground, they cater for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you want a Roman Catholic funeral then you will have the priest probably come to your dying/dead loved one to administer Viaticum, often in the dead of night. You will then have the comfort of the priest come to the funeral home/house to say prayers as the coffin is closed and comfort the bereaved. Then if you remove the deceased to the church the night before the funeral you will have the priest there, the church will be clean and warm and lit, as it will the following day for the funeral mass which the priest will celebrate for your deceased loved one.
    Then the priest will accompany the bereaved to the graveyard and officiate over the actual burial while continuing to comfort the bereaved.
    For this the priest will ask for a donation of around €200. If you think this is either a rip off or extortionate then you should make enquiries about one of the independent celebrants and get a price from him/her?

Sorry for your loss ,, Is that what it would have cost before restrictions? €6k sounds cheap in today’s market. Maybe Dublin and Cork would be dearer for funerals as average without grave is €8k

It’s Dublin, like I said no mourning cars but apart from that think it was all fairly standard, no church but I presume that would be paid separate anyway.

Obviously they don't go home 6k richer, what I meant is that it's 6k more that I get to leave them so you are being facetious there. Regarding sticking it in a box , thats optional as you can now be buried without a coffin so great cheaper again. and yes I have everything arranged and it will all cost less that approx 1500. Why is it so hard for Irish people to get that there are options. They are opening a similar graveyard in Cork soon and Dublin won't be far behind id wager. If you are religious you can still use a natural burial ground, they cater for all.

Yes I was being facetious I thought that was obvious and didn’t need pointing out. I’m sceptical that you have organised payment and delivery of your coffin and have organised someone to collect your body put it in the box and transport it to Wexford for 350 euro. Maybe you have using mates or whatever but it sounds a bit cheap. The rest of the funeral sounds grand, personally I don’t care where I end up as I’ll be dead and very uninterested at that stage.

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you want a Roman Catholic funeral then you will have the priest probably come to your dying/dead loved one to administer Viaticum, often in the dead of night. You will then have the comfort of the priest come to the funeral home/house to say prayers as the coffin is closed and comfort the bereaved. Then if you remove the deceased to the church the night before the funeral you will have the priest there, the church will be clean and warm and lit, as it will the following day for the funeral mass which the priest will celebrate for your deceased loved one.
    Then the priest will accompany the bereaved to the graveyard and officiate over the actual burial while continuing to comfort the bereaved.
    For this the priest will ask for a donation of around €200. If you think this is either a rip off or extortionate then you should make enquiries about one of the independent celebrants and get a price from him/her?

There will be no priest present at any stage so no need to pay €200. I am not religious.

Addle wrote: »
    How did you arrange that license?

What licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Tork

I know about the ground settling bit but it doesn't take away from the pressure to have the headstone up less than a year after being bereaved and hit with a big bill. The first anniversary is a milestone in many ways but I just wish the pressure to get the grave sorted by then wasn't there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement