Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weirdly, my dad also bought a bike helmet today (in cyclezone in blanch) and they told him there that the irish have larger than usual heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭youtheman

anyone know of anywhere on the northside with a decent stock of helmets?
    i've a large head for the size of me, and the size L mavics derek in humphries had in stock are too small (57-61cm i think); the other decent helmets he has are the wrong shape (too round) and the only helmet which seemed to be a good fit was a cheaper BBB one with not enough ventilation for me. that was a 58-63cm one IIRC.

I, too, have a massive 'noggin'. But I have been quite successful in getting helmets that go up to 63 cm. Current one is Giro Savant. Before that I had a Specialized Max. Both fitted well (with room to spare).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

For the amount going on in many of them I imagine it is unexpectedly large in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

weirdly, my dad also bought a bike helmet today (in cyclezone in blanch) and they told him there that the irish have larger than usual heads.

Bike shop owners during COVID-19 I assume he meant :pac:

Good auld Justin :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just following up on my recent query: I've purchased a Giro Atmos 2 Helmet 2019 - bright red/black from bike24.
    Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Can't help with shops but can tell you the sizing on my ones.

A L in a Kask Mojito / Mojito X is 59-62 and fits nicely. I believe they also do an XL in those. Giro sizing adds .5cm so L is 59-62.5 and they also do one size up again.

The Kask is perfect on my head and the Giro nice and better than most but still looks a bit mushroomy on my head.

I have a large kask mojito and a large giro vanquish. I find the giro is actually a little too big. My head is somewhere in the border between large and medium it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've also got a massive head,have had to send back L helmets in the past. Once got a Giro that fitted great after two or three that just wouldn't work, and I've stuck with them every since. Looking for something new now actually so considering if I should change or go with a Giro Synthe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you like Giro then their Foray helmet is worth a look. It sizes down quite small and has pretty low volume up top. I was a 61-63 in a Giro Savant but oddly a 57-59 in a Foray. Nice neat helmet and won't break the bank, even if you go for the MIPS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

My head is both large and shaped such that the majority of helmets I try seem to be uncomfortable up top (not helped by lack of padding from hair) so I've a divil of a time trying to get helmets to fit (that and the mushroom look). I've a Giro at the moment which I'm very happy with I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Potential all-ages mandatory helmet law passed in lower house of Isle of Man

https://road.cc/content/news/iom-make-bike-helmets-compulsory-all-274379

Would be the only one in Europe, if it goes all the way.

I don't know anything much about the Isle of Man, so no idea if the legislative council can amend the proposed road traffic legislation much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Doesn't the isle of man have no speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

tomasrojo wrote: »

Would be the only one in Europe, if it goes all the way.

I don't know anything much about the Isle of Man, so no idea if the legislative council can amend the proposed road traffic legislation much.

Like the channel islands they're a bit odd with regard to their relationship with the UK. Kermode and Mayo had a lengthy discussion about it on their BBC film podcast a few weeks ago (as you do!), so they've sort of got an in but not in relationship with the UK (wikipedia entry), but can make their own laws, hence stuff like the no speed limit and facilitating all manner of tax dodgers.

from tomasrojo's link:
    While some European countries have compulsory helmet laws that apply to children – under-15s in the case of Slovakia and Slovenia, and under-12s in France and Sweden, for example
    are kids expected to carry ID?
    i.e. if an 11 year old is out cycling in france without a helmet, and is stopped by police, what happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Doesn't the isle of man have no speed limits?

There are speed limits in built up areas but once you’re out of those it’s a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

i.e. if an 11 year old is out cycling in france without a helmet, and is stopped by police, what happens next?

Guillotine?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tomasrojo wrote: »

i presume they want to get rid of cyclists and get more vehicle based tourists due to the lack of speed limits? Because that is the only thing a mandatory rule facilitates.

is there an isle of man TT for cyclists?

is there an isle of man TT for cyclists?

There is a sportive held there every year that uses the TT course I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isle of Man NOT looking to make cycle helmets compulsory
    Members of Tynwald's lower house had expressed concerns over cycle helmets being made mandatory...

does anyone know if there's such a thing as buying a sheet of the lined foam used for helmet padding, from which you could cut your own pads? rather than paying €10 upwards for a set of replacement pads.

• Advertisement

this is odd.

Bicycle shop owners lobby Co Mayo TD to call for mandatory helmets
    Some of Co Mayo’s bicycle shop owners have lobbied a local TD to call for making bicycle helmets mandatory — an idea which is highly controversial and opposed by Irish and European cycling campaign groups.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/06/13/bicycle-shop-owners-lobby-co-mayo-td-to-call-for-mandatory-helmets/

it's based on a claim made by a TD but no bike shops actually named.

Think that's a polite "no" from Griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

I saw someone on a cycle today that had a helmet... but it was hanging from their handlebar! Personally I'll always bring my helmet on a cycle. I don't even notice it really.

Dillon appears keen to keep pushing this:
    https://twitter.com/Alan_Dillon/status/1272114055403024384

Look as if it's getting fairly ratio'd though.

yeah, the comments are an entertaining read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

yeah, the comments are an entertaining read.

You can just imagine the 'sure this is a no-brainer, who could possibly object to this' thinking behind the proposal, and then suddenly he starts reading the twitter replies....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You can just imagine the 'sure this is a no-brainer, who could possibly object to this' thinking behind the proposal, and then suddenly he starts reading the twitter replies....

He's done this before. He clearly doesn't care what people think

I suppose if there's another election he might have some chance of success, I don't know, but I can't see the proposed programme for government, with the 3x higher budget for walking and cycling, permitting something that's associated with a drop in the number of people cycling.

• Advertisement

I think this has happened to other politicians: "Hey, look at this open door that apparently nobody's noticed in decades!". Apparently it's brought up in the Dáil most years, with the proponent suddenly finding out that there's very stiff opposition to it. Seems to have happened to Paul Murphy anyway.

Advertisement