Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So fresh and so clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Pfft, second thread, first thread, whatever.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

BM

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PodcastReview

Is this a sports podcast?

Or is it still one person reading aloud tweets, and waiting for some clever, wry comments from the two sidekicks?

Or is it still one person reading aloud tweets, and waiting for some clever, wry comments from the two sidekicks?

Desperately misused username if you're asking that question. Off you pop

• Advertisement

Savage burn mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Send him off. Send the dirty got off. Get him walking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yep, it's the sports podcast with the clever wry comments from the guys on it.

Which is why is better than the million other sports podcasts with shìtty half arsed wannabe banter from the sidekicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Trying to be critical might be impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hi Ger!

*waves hand*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with anything PodcastReview says about podcasts

Hi Ger!

*waves hand*

Actually now that you mention Ger. Have ye heard the new OTB ad he does the voiceover for? Sounds like a pisstake with the pitch of his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Just caught up on the Sindo piece by Paul Kimmage. I wasn’t going to sign up for the series but having read that I definitely will. Fair play to Mark and the whole team, sounds like a huge amount of work has gone into it. Hope it goes well for all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Few finer audible experiences than a wound up Ken, great listen.

Thought I was completely sick of the David Silva chat but today was golden!

Although I am glad he’s gone and hopefully no more David Silva chat going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

34 minutes in for those who want to skip the GAA chat and get to (hopefully the last ever mention of) the David Silva debate

yermandan wrote: »
    34 minutes in for those who want to skip the GAA chat and get to (hopefully the last ever mention of) the David Silva debate

Not all heroes wear capes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Christ, is there more Premier League talk today, it seems never ending.

Rachel Denhollander was excellent yesterday, very grim, don't think I'd ever be that brave.

Rachel Denhollander was excellent yesterday, very grim, don't think I'd ever be that brave.

Her story was shocking, I intend to watch Athlete A now as a result over the coming days. Gymnastics seems (from a distance) to be one of those ‘dodgy’ sports. You hear all the rumours of young children (Asian mainly) being taken from their families at extremely young ages and then cast aside at the first sniff of injury or a better prospect coming along. Got to feel incredibly sorry for children who get caught up in it with absolutely no guidance or support

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Rather the PL talk than dreary Oisin McConville and Murph banging on about U12's gah and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rather the PL talk than dreary Oisin McConville and Murph banging on about U12's gah and the like.

In fairness you're lucky they devote hours to it every week, and 'gah' gets comparatively little coverage even during peak 'gah' season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Arghus wrote: »
    Not all heroes wear capes.

In fairness, as tedious as I have found the whole debate, today was worth every second.

It reminded me so much of Ken's quote 'all I have is the factual information of what took place' or something similar in response to Giles' football men statement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah she is an incredibly brave woman. I'd encourage all subscribers to listen to her interview and to watch Athlete A on Netflix. It's shocking and very sad at times, but it really is very important that as many people as possible are made aware of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Really enjoyed the podcast with David Walsh on his new book The Russian Affair. I wasn't interested at all in listening to it, especially as it was just Eoin on the pod, but it ended up being brilliant. They worked well together actually, David and Eoin. The story was told brilliantly, and what a story it is. Might even get the book now!

NETHERLANDS FIVE!!!

my ears

my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the podcast with David Walsh on his new book The Russian Affair.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In 2017, Walsh gave a character reference for paedophile Tom Humphries during his trial.[20] In October 2017, Walsh apologised for what he said in a 2012 radio interview about the case but said he would remain friends with Humphries despite his conviction.[21]

ho hum

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

ho hum

Is this relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Is this relevant?

I don't see why not, certain SC guests get slated on here merely because of the sound of their voice...

Walsh wrote a book rightly condemning one criminal manipulator and abuser, while giving a character reference for and publicly saying he will stay friends with another and arguably much worse one. That's his entitlement, but it changes what I think about his integrity - that's my entitlement.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

I don't see why not, certain SC guests get slated on here merely because of the sound of their voice...

Walsh wrote a book rightly condemning one criminal manipulator and abuser, while giving a character reference for and publicly saying he will stay friends with another and arguably much worse one. That's his entitlement, but it changes what I think about his integrity - that's my entitlement.

I think, if I remember correctly, that Walsh wasn't fully aware of the severity of Tom Humphries crimes and had been given an extremely false picture of what had happened and even the nature of the charges that Humphries faced. I think he was hoodwinked to an extent. And a character witness can just be to say that you've known someone and you've known them to be a friend, decent person etc. It wouldn't have been false of Walsh to say this about Humphries, especially so if he was under false impressions about what Humphries had allegedly done.

I don't attach much blame to Walsh in this instance - I think he was taken advantage of to be honest and he has apologised and says he regrets it. Surely that's enough?

As for saying that he'd still be friends with Humphries. It's easy for me to say that there's no way I'd be like that in my life, but I don't know, I've never been faced with anything like that. If a friend of mine killed somebody or did something truly terrible would it be an absolute certainty that I'd turn my back on them and disown them completely? I think it's a much more complex decision than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

ho hum

Those dates don't make sense do they?

Advertisement