Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Was looking for something to watch between shows and discovered Timeless, ran for two seasons from 2016 to 2018 - currently halfway through Season 2 and really enjoying it

Basically a terrorist steals a time machine and our plucky leads have to follow him through time as he tries to change history. One thing I would say is don't get too bogged down in time travel related plot holes, just enjoy it for what it is.

You'll meet some of history's most famous people; Lincoln, JFK, Harry Houdini, Hedy Lamaar, Al Capone, Robert Johnson and a host of others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd also add to the recommendations for Humans, great show, shame it's not continuing - I thought Gemma Chan in particular was excellent in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

thank you to whoever recommended How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) - really enjoying it! Episodes are short & sweet too, it's ideal!

I think I am in love with Anna Lena Klenke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

DVDM93 wrote: »
    thank you to whoever recommended How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) - really enjoying it! Episodes are short & sweet too, it's ideal!

I think I am in love with Anna Lena Klenke :D

I recommended it about 18 months ago. Loved it. Second season, while enjoyable is annoying with the characters dubbed in a cockney accent. The first season I binged in 2 days, second season I am only 3 episodes in after 4 days.

Finished a day of fa cup, boxing and ufc and now watching American history x. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I haven't watched dark myself,but I know it's a mind fcuk of a show,spotted this .. it's a very well made website ..

https://www.dark.netflix.io/en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Connected season 1
    Science journalist Latif Nasser investigates the surprising and intricate ways in which we are connected to each other, the world and the universe

Added

Watching blues brothers now. What a film. John belushi is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

gmisk wrote: »
    I watched a romcom called the lovebirds tonight I wasn't expecting much at all but it was fun.
    The two leads are excellent especially Issa Rae.

Watched it last week and really enjoyed it too. Based upon discussion here, I checked out Issa Rae's show 'Insecure' (on Prime) and am really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first episode of Middleditch and Schwartz last night and really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend it. Its live comedy improv, really very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Watched Puzzle film last night. Slow mover but grand on a lazy night. Kelly MacDonald a plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Watched Puzzle film last night. Slow mover but grand on a lazy night. Kelly MacDonald a plus

Must check that out. MacDonald is a fantastic actress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

Just started season 2 of Suburra: blood on Rome.
    Good while since I watched season 1, had forgotten how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's fairly rare for me to watch a documentary these days and be left wanting more but that's exactly what happened with the newly released 40 minute The Speed Cubers last night.

Basically tells the tale of the top two speed Rubix Cube competitors as opposed to being a deep dive into the sport itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's fairly rare for me to watch a documentary these days and be left wanting more but that's exactly what happened with the newly released 40 minute The Speed Cubers last night.

Basically tells the tale of the top two speed Rubix Cube competitors as opposed to being a deep dive into the sport itself.

It was great !!! Is there anything on Netflix like it ? I love documentaries in niche activities/sports

It was great !!! Is there anything on Netflix like it ? I love documentaries in niche activities/sports

I know it’s not Netflix but my favourite documentary is knuckle and it’s on YouTube. It follows (over 18 years which is unheard of in a documentary) the best bare knuckle fighter, James Quinn mcdonagh and his rivalry with the Joyce family. It literally is tailor made for your request niche activities and sport. It is heartbreaking the reasons and is an amazing insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Losers is a series on Netflix. 10 episodes I think. Each is it's own story about some sports person or team. Goes from soccer and golf to extreme running, dog sledding and curling. Worth looking at a couple episodes that might interest you. No order to the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd imagine Spelling the Dream is quite similar which explores the world of spelling bees. I have not watched that myself as it sounds too similar to Spellbound from nearly 20 years ago.

There's also a league of legends documentary that I've been meaning to watch too.

Edit: realise e-sports probably can't be considered to be niche now but is still removed from traditional sports documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

munster87 wrote: »
    Just started season 2 of Suburra: blood on Rome.
    Good while since I watched season 1, had forgotten how good it is.

Season 1 as s much better than 2. But neither compare to Gomorra which isn’t on Netflix, but is one of the best gangster series you will ever watch. Naples is an interesting city but you wouldn’t be booking a trip to it after watching Gomorra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes I think I have seen that, it’s fantastic. Isn’t the younger Quinn brother the fella who beat his wife to death a few years ago?? Was there ever a trial for that??

Yes I think I have seen that, it’s fantastic. Isn’t the younger Quinn brother the fella who beat his wife to death a few years ago?? Was there ever a trial for that??

He pleaded guilty to murder so no trial. Michael is serving a mandatory life sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I only started watching Humans recently - I see people saying it's a shame it's not getting S4, please don't tell me it ends on a cliffhanger or lack of resolution in S3!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    I only started watching Humans recently - I see people saying it's a shame it's not getting S4, please don't tell me it ends on a cliffhanger or lack of resolution in S3!

Eh, kinda. Obviously don't wish to spoil so all I'd say is that the main arc of the season is mostly resolved, while there's certainly a big enough hook for a season 4. Never watched the Swedish version of the show so not sure where it went or if it lasted as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not sure if it's available on Netflix but the 5 part documentary "once upon a time in Iraq" is an outstanding piece of work.https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxwq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Just watched wheelman, **** show but the best use of dolby atmos I've heard in anything in the past three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Last Breath is phenomenal. Not sports, but about divers on the North Sea rigs. It’s so intense and claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I've just realised how utterly crap netflix is, I've had it a few years now but I can honestly count on one hand the amount of genuinely good shows I've seen on it, every wkend I search through it and end up not watching anything, I dunno why I have it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Peanut Butter Falcon
    A man who has Down syndrome runs away to realize his wrestling dreams and sets out for adventure with a new friend in tow and a caregiver in pursuit

Immigration Nation
    With unprecedented access to ICE operations, as well as moving portraits of immigrants, this docuseries takes a deep look at US immigration today.

Can You Keep a Secret?
    After sharing a heart-to-heart with a handsome stranger, Emma comes face-to-face with old vulnerabilities, new romance and, most importantly, herself.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why don't you cancel it?

I'd agree that there is some amount of rubbish on it, it will be the nature of all streaming services, the vast majority of content won't be for you.

But there is some very good stuff on it.

Wouldn’t normally be something I’d consider watching but watched a movie yesterday called ‘for a good time call’. Two girls who were rivals in college end up as roommates and start a 5ex line business. Bizarrely Justin long is cast as their gay (I’m assuming) friend. It was enjoyable with some very funny bits but my god a weird film. Still not sure if I liked it but some of the training to be a call girl was hilarious. Not sure if I would recommend it but thought I’d mention it.

Rewatching the ranch at the moment. Ashton kutcher, sam Elliot, Debra winger, Megyn price (rules of engagement) and Danny masterson (Hyde from that 70s show) star in this series. Set in a rural village in Colorado, Ashton kutcher returns home to the family ranch after his failed football career. Honestly I love it. Reason I am rewatching it. One of my favourite genres is Americana (dukes of hazard, fall guy, Smokey and the bandit (especially) ) and this fits in perfectly. Mixture of comedy and heartbreak, it ticks all my boxes. I know Ashton kutcher isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he is cast perfectly. Because it’s Netflix it’s littered with bad language, violence, drug usage which you don’t normally get and definitely adds to the grittiness. There are some curve balls (without a spoiler a seemingly self imposed death of a major character out of the blue because of a legal case) and cliff hangers.

Couldn’t recommend it more but you have to like Americana, not be put off with kutcher playing himself. And who doesn’t like Sam Elliot with the second best moustache of all time, only beaten by Burt Reynolds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Peanut Butter Falcon
    A man who has Down syndrome runs away to realize his wrestling dreams and sets out for adventure with a new friend in tow and a caregiver in pursuit
    This is a solid feel-good watch!

You can often forget how impressive Shia LaBoeuf can be.

Advertisement