Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

con747 wrote: »

Its a coil sprung 90 inch chassis and body, it would be some crack if they managed to get it on a leaf sprung 88 inch chassis from 1972!

Motor tax have no record for that plate, nct either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭con747

It's good to be able to post them up here though so those who know about them can let people know, I was only in one 70's one and the dash got me as not what I could remember, way too many buttons!!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Comes up as 1972 Rover diesel here.

https://www.motorcheck.ie/free-car-check/?vrm=VIE83

Listed as "cut down/sealed up vehicle".

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

I cant see that going for much more than €950,000 to be honest.

Anyone know the logistics of buying a UK regd car here? Will the new owner get caught for the full VRT?

weadick wrote: »
    Anyone know the logistics of buying a UK regd car here? Will the new owner get caught for the full VRT?

Its not legal for him to sell it to you and you would have a world of pain trying to deal with Customs over it.

Just get seller to vrt it, and if he will not or cannot then that should be your signal to walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Its not legal for him to sell it to you and you would have a world of pain trying to deal with Customs over it.

Just get seller to vrt it, and if he will not or cannot then that should be your signal to walk away.

Ah, thanks for the hypebole, but nope.

I bought a UK reg vehicle that had been here a while, un-cleared.

Paid for it, got a receipt, made & went to VRT appointment.

Not only did they know it was here before I showed up, they actually had had a previous VRT appointment (no-show/cancelled) for the same vehicle 6 months previously.

Didn't cost me a cent over what it was supposed to.

They just want the €€€, it's not personal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for the hypebole, but nope.

I bought a UK reg vehicle that had been here a while, un-cleared.

Paid for it, got a receipt, made & went to VRT appointment.

Not only did they know it was here before I showed up, they actually had had a previous VRT appointment (no-show/cancelled) for the same vehicle 6 months previously.

Didn't cost me a cent over what it was supposed to.

They just want the €€€, it's not personal.

That's fair enough, but that's not my neighbours experience from a few years ago. Took about 3 months to settle the matter of tax owed on the car from the time it had entered the state ( 2 years previously).

I stand by the advise to get the seller to vrt, hyperbole or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It depends on who you meet on the day in the NCT centre. Law states, as 26000 Elephants said, that you're liable for back tax, fines and penalties. It's a bit of a lottery.

I had this about 8 years ago, had the opportunity to buy a car that was in this country for 3 years, but still had all papers linked to the address in the UK. Car was owned by an Irish guy resident in the UK. Drove the car to NI and we did a road trip across to Scotland, down to Holyhead and back over on the boat. Presented the car the next week for NCT and VRT and had no issue with it with new sale of contract and new tickets.

I'd advise to get the seller to VRT it, or be prepared to mess around a bit, or be prepared to take a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I Was VB wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26085253

Very rare Volvo 480 needing some tlc, €850.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26100287

Now €1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

That was an expensive wash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lad spends time scouring ads for bargains, has the wit to buy one that's under priced when he sees one, cleans it up and tries to make a few bob selling it. Nothing wrong with that in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

unkel wrote: »
    A lad spends time scouring ads for bargains, has the wit to buy one that's under priced when he sees one, cleans it up and tries to make a few bob selling it. Nothing wrong with that in my book!
    a few bob!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

oceanman wrote: »
    a few bob!!!

What difference does it make if he makes a few hundred or a few grand?

I’ve no problem with this as that’s what the motor trade is essentially, but when you’ve been on the look out for a particular motor and it comes up for sale and by some situation you’ve missed the chance to buy it very disheartening when the same car pops back up on DoneDeal a day later for a inflated price. But that’s life. I’d never begrudge anyone for making a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I’ve no problem with this as that’s what the motor trade is essentially, but when you’ve been on the look out for a particular motor and it comes up for sale and by some situation you’ve missed the chance to buy it very disheartening when the same car pops back up on DoneDeal a day later for a inflated price. But that’s life. I’d never begrudge anyone for making a living.

It’s one thing asking , it’s another thing altogether, getting the new price.

oceanman wrote: »
    a few bob!!!

What difference does it make if he makes a few hundred or a few grand?

Another cheap swede for someone

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900/26084783

NmQ5MDUwOWVkMjQ1ZGZmM2IxMzlmYWFjMGMxMjU4ZjF8tUsmAbVhPJ-NNsgeFeFWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc3NTAzNjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Original Irish reg, old logbook, starting and driving, €450! Nice winter project

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26103584

€1250 now

Ah bejaysus :P

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1977-toy0ta-hiace/25616956

ZGU5YTY3NTQ1ZmU2ZDJmYTM0NzM2MjZiNTZmMjQ4NWV9NQxsCzA-IPVgbHfd85zwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc0OTA5NzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Is this worth €3500? I know the seller well and have seen this in the flesh. The dent in the door is new but looks like it would push out. Other than that its really clean, no visible rot. It used to be a camper

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/porsche-944s/26102335

MWRmODMzNGJjZmM3NDEwMTY5OTIwN2U2MTE5ZjU5ZmIk4bD75du7diWCfwfQ584DaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc5MjU4MTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This seems a good price for a seemingly well sorted 88 944S, €3500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/porsche-944s/26102335

This seems a good price for a seemingly well sorted 88 944S, €3500

too good to be true ?
    It looks like its wrapped - whats it like under that I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's very cheap for what it is, even if in poor condition - the outside looks like a joke if I'm honest. Could have been off the road for a long time, last NCT done in the noughties :p

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

I'm sure most people who follow this thread agree but the new seller says it only needs "a weekend or two tidying to sort it out". If I had the wit to buy it I'd probably just do that and happily earn my profit.. but that's just me. Live and let live wouldn't begrudge anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's very cheap for what it is, even if in poor condition - the outside looks like a joke if I'm honest. Could have been off the road for a long time, last NCT done in the noughties :p

Looks like it spent a lot of the intervening time in Halfords.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1968-jaguar-mk2-auto/26105960

YTI3NjI4NjUxYTRhNjI4NDRiN2ZhYjc4OGFiYzFhZTQXtCIbtAtPw29GXXF2I5ZEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc5NTk4NjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZDlkOGMzNjI4M2QxNDhlMWVjNDY0MWYxYTY1MDhkMzgk0EV3N9r30oBbgSkX6bi7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTc5NTk4Njd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very nice looking Mk2 Jag for 13k. Right colours too. Seems a lot of car for the money

Yeah, it can be a pain if you were watching it, but that's why you should always move fast for the good stuff. But it can work in your favour too, if the eager beaver jumps too quick and ends up with a shed - you've dodged a bullet!

Most of these prices are over optimistic - after a time you might be able to negotiate a better price.

Jaysus that's some amount of work gone into that Porker. Has to be worth a punt at that price with just the cosmetics to sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Makes no sense at that price sadly. It must be parked up for near 20 years

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Makes no sense at that price sadly. It must be parked up for near 20 years

It had an NCT up until 2006, and was taxed til 2013! Although i doubt it was actually on the road that recently. It was a real bargain at the original price. The new photos are taken close-ish to me. Might take a drive down tomorrow and see if it’s around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not often you see a car with 4 odd wheels.

Advertisement