Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new 2020 National Development Plan

Options
  • 23-07-2020 3:54pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that we have a new Government, they have indicated that there will be a review of the National Development Plan in 2020 to take into account new priorities from the Programme for Government.

Exactly what that means for roads is not clear, the number of major road projects that will go to construction over the course of the Government is small to begin with as most schemes have not progressed through the planning phases to commence construction

Here's how far the last National Development Plan has got:

Phase 7 - Complete
    M7 Naas/Newbridge bypass upgrade [13.5km]
    M11/N30 Gorey-Enniscorthy (PPP) [27km (N11) + 12km (N30)]
    N25/N30 New Ross bypass (PPP) [14km]
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties Phase 3 [4km]
    N56 Mountcharles-Inver Phase 1 [3km]
    N59 Westport-Mulranny Phase 4 [3km]
    N86 Tralee-Dingle Phase 2 [4km]

Phase 6 - Construction
    N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin [14km]
    N5/N59 Westport-Turlough (incl. Westport-Mulranny Ph5) [25km]
    N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney [22km]
    N56 Mountcharles-Inver Phase 2 (final phase) [2km]
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties Phase 4 [7km]
    N59 Oughterard-Clifden Phase 2 [5km]

Phase 5 - Tender
    N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge [35km]
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties Phase 5 [5km]
    N59 Moycullen bypass [5km]

Also, Prior Information Notices before full tender notice have been issued for:
    N56 Dungloe-Glenties Phase 6 (final phase) [3km]
    N69 Listowel bypass [6km]

Phase 5 - Advance works
    M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy (pending outcome of legal challenge) [13km]
    N59 Oughterard-Clifden (remaining 10km)
    N59 Westport-Mulranny (remaining 17km)
    N86 Tralee-Dingle (remaining 25km)

Phase 4 - Statutory process
    M6 Galway City Ring Road [12km/6km]
    M21 Limerick-Rathkeale-Foynes [33km]
    N52 Ardee bypass [5km]

Phase 3 - Design
    N2 Slane bypass [3km]
    N3 Clonee-M50 [5km]
    N13/N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass [9km + tbc N15 link]
    N13/N56 Letterkenny relief road + area improvements [6km DC + 2.5km SC]
    N14 Letterkenny-Lifford [18km]

Phase 2 - Route selection
    N2 Ardee-Castleblayney [32km]
    N2 Ashbourne-Kilmoon Cross [6km]
    N2 Clontibret-NI border [28km]
    N3 Virginia bypass [16km]
    M11/N11 J4-J14 improvement [23km]
    N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour [33km]
    M20 Cork-Limerick [80km]
    N25 Waterford-Glenmore [10km]
    N72/N73 Mallow Relief Road [4.5-7km]

Phase 1 - Feasibility/scope/constraints
    M4 Leixlip-Maynooth [8km]
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod [18km]
    N4 Mullingar-Longford (Roosky) [52km]
    N17 Knock-Collooney [55km]
    N21 Abbeyfeale relief road
    N21 Newcastle West relief road
    N22 Killarney-Farranfore [27km]
    N24 Cahir-Waterford [55km]
    N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction [27km]
    N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton [7km]
    N52 Tullamore-Kilbeggan [8km]

Schemes yet to commence
    M50 Dublin Port South Access Road [1km]

The following schemes were considered for inclusion in the 2018 NDP but did not make it. The first list is the list that just missed out, the second less prioritised and the third least prioritised:

M1 Balbriggan-Lissenhall [10km]
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris [24km/38km incl Claremorris bypass upgrade]
    N22 Macroom-Ovens [24km]
    N22 (N40) Cork North Ring West [7km]
    N24 Limerick-Caherconlish [6km]
    N26 Ballina-Bohola [23km]
    N27 Cork Airport-N40 [4km]

N3 The Poles-Butlers Bridge [11km]
    M4 Maynooth-Kilcock [8km]
    N13 Letterkenny-Stranorlar [10km]
    N13 Manorcunningham-Bridgend [21km]
    N15 Sligo-Cliffony [21km]

N2 Kilmoon-Slane [15km]
    N2 Slane-Collon [8km]
    N5 Turlough-Bohola [17km]
    M7 Monasterevin-Newbridge [18km]
    N21 Abbeyfeale-Rathkeale [33km]
    N25 Midleton-Youghal [20km/26km inc. Youghal bypass]
    N25 Waterford-Dungarvan [41km]

N40 Cork North Ring Road East also fits in there.. somewhere.

It'll be interesting to see how changed political lineups and the Green Party influence change the outcome.

From the 2018-2027 NDP, 7 schemes are either complete or underway. Another 6 schemes have been put to tender or are in the procurement process.

This leaves 33 schemes to be completed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Where did you see this about a new/revised NDP for this year?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Within the overall context of Project Ireland 2040, the national development plan has been developed by Government to underpin the successful implementation of the new national planning framework. This provides the strategic and financial framework for Tll's national roads programme for the period from 2018 to 2027. As set out in the programme for Government, the Government will be carrying out a review of the national development plan later this year, taking account of the priorities of Government set out in the programme.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2020-07-14a.389&s=speaker%3A400#g392

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the M20 mentioned anywhere Marno in your list?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the M20 mentioned anywhere Marno in your list?

He has it listed under Phase 2 - Route Selection

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whoops ;)

Updated the first post with lengths of schemes. Either lengths of the chosen routes or else the lengths of the existing road to be upgraded.

• Advertisement

He has it listed under Phase 2 - Route Selection

I had the post edited since to include it. Had it omitted in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Would I be right in saying that anything in phase 1 won't be happening for another decade at least?

MY BAD wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that anything in phase 1 won't be happening for another decade at least?

More than likely yes. Open to traffic most definitely.

Assuming that the new National Development Plan is published in Q1 of next year, it’ll be interesting over the next few months to see various interests jostling to get projects included in the new plan. While there was a sharp drop of traffic during the lockdown after the initial onset of the coronavirus pandemic, traffic volumes are returning to normal nationwide. The lack of international travel has seen as summer as busy as ever on many tourist routes, with routes such as the N71 in Cork showing the usual signs of strain at the usual spots.

With a Q1 publication date in mind, of the 45 projects included in the last plan, the following will be the state of play (some of these are estimated/predicted statuses rather than definitive ones):

• 4 projects will be complete (M7 widening, M11 Enniscorthy, N25 New Ross and N56 Mountcharles to Inver)
    • 5 projects will be under construction (N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin, N5 Westport, N22 Macroom, N59 Moycullen and Dunkettle)
    • 2 projects at tender (N5 Ballaghaderreen and N69 Listowel)
    • 1 project at advance works (M28)
    • 3 projects with planning decisions pending (M6 Galway, M21 Adare, N52 Ardee)
    • 12 projects at design stage (N2 Slane, N2 Ashbourne, N2 Ardee to Castleblayney , N2 Clontibret to NI, N3 Clonee to M50, N3 Virginia, N11/N25, N13 Letterkenny, N14, N15 Ballybofey, N25 Waterford to Glenmore and N72 Mallow)
    • 9 projects at route selection (N4 Carrick, N4 Mullingar to Rooskey, M11 J4 to J14, N17 Knock to Collooney, M20, N21 Abbeyfeale, N21 Newcastlewest, N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton, N52 to M6)
    • Remainder (M4 Maynooth to Leixlip, N22 Killarney, N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction, N24 Cahir to Waterford, M50 Dublin South Port Access)

That leaves 41 projects requiring funding over the course of the plan, and 36 which aren’t 100% committed to yet (assuming Moycullen and Dunkettle go ahead).

Should there be a desire to include new projects for political gain, I can see them including a further 8-10 projects, without a reminder that these projects won’t be complete until 2029-2034.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which ones get included? I would guess the following:
    N40 Cork North Ring
    N22 Macroom-Ovens
    N25 Midleton-Youghal
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris
    N15 Sligo-Cliffony
    N24 Limerick-Limerick Junction
    Some sort of N5/N26 project in Mayo
    N13 Stranorlar-Letterkenny-Bridge End

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

marno21 wrote: »
    Assuming that the new National Development Plan is published in Q1 of next year, it’ll be interesting over the next few months to see various interests jostling to get projects included in the new plan. While there was a sharp drop of traffic during the lockdown after the initial onset of the coronavirus pandemic, traffic volumes are returning to normal nationwide. The lack of international travel has seen as summer as busy as ever on many tourist routes, with routes such as the N71 in Cork showing the usual signs of strain at the usual spots.

With a Q1 publication date in mind, of the 45 projects included in the last plan, the following will be the state of play (some of these are estimated/predicted statuses rather than definitive ones):

• 4 projects will be complete (M7 widening, M11 Enniscorthy, N25 New Ross and N56 Mountcharles to Inver)
    • 5 projects will be under construction (N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin, N5 Westport, N22 Macroom, N59 Moycullen and Dunkettle)
    • 2 projects at tender (N5 Ballaghaderreen and N69 Listowel)
    • 1 project at advance works (M28)
    • 3 projects with planning decisions pending (M6 Galway, M21 Adare, N52 Ardee)
    • 12 projects at design stage (N2 Slane, N2 Ashbourne, N2 Ardee to Castleblayney , N2 Clontibret to NI, N3 Clonee to M50, N3 Virginia, N11/N25, N13 Letterkenny, N14, N15 Ballybofey, N25 Waterford to Glenmore and N72 Mallow)
    • 9 projects at route selection (N4 Carrick, N4 Mullingar to Rooskey, M11 J4 to J14, N17 Knock to Collooney, M20, N21 Abbeyfeale, N21 Newcastlewest, N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton, N52 to M6)
    • Remainder (M4 Maynooth to Leixlip, N22 Killarney, N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction, N24 Cahir to Waterford, M50 Dublin South Port Access)

That leaves 41 projects requiring funding over the course of the plan, and 36 which aren’t 100% committed to yet (assuming Moycullen and Dunkettle go ahead).

Should there be a desire to include new projects for political gain, I can see them including a further 8-10 projects, without a reminder that these projects won’t be complete until 2029-2034.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which ones get included? I would guess the following:
    N40 Cork North Ring
    N22 Macroom-Ovens
    N25 Midleton-Youghal
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris
    N15 Sligo-Cliffony
    N24 Limerick-Limerick Junction
    Some sort of N5/N26 project in Mayo
    N13 Stranorlar-Letterkenny-Bridge End

Could there be a big shake up or just a few moves ,or maybe leave it as it is?

• Advertisement

steeler j wrote: »
    Could there be a big shake up or just a few moves ,or maybe leave it as it is?
    Given that there's been money spent on all of the above, it wouldn't make a whole pile of sense to abandon any project yet. Unless some of the commuter motorway widenings/extensions (N2, N3, M4, M11) get mothballed while the Greens are around.

I would like to see an extension of the tourist routes pilot schemes also - as per here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113908423

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Given that there's been money spent on all of the above, it wouldn't make a whole pile of sense to abandon any project yet. Unless some of the commuter motorway widenings/extensions (N2, N3, M4, M11) get mothballed while the Greens are around.

I would like to see an extension of the tourist routes pilot schemes also - as per here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113908423

The money is spent so caring and get them to planning and see where the country is then ,the tourist routes would be a good thing to continue with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My guess will be these two added for Cork.

N40 Cork North Ring - Possibly only the East section if the M20 does not include it sneakily (despite what they said). If the M20 does include it (by starting the M20 on the M8 and following the eastern sections track), then they may do the western section.
    N22 Macroom-Ovens - For whatever reason there isn't the bottle out there for this at the moment. No-one is talking about it.
    N25 Midleton-Youghal - Possibly. Castlemartyr is beginning to become more and more of a pain.

https://www.tii.ie/news/press-releases/tii-new-ceo-appointment-announced/index.xml

TII head of Capital Programme Peter Walsh has replaced Michael Nolan as CEO of the agency.

Have to give credit to Michael Nolan for getting a lot done in a challenging 5 years as head of TII, starting with a Government that was allergic to capital investment and spending 4 years operating under a clown of a Minister for Transport.

Peter Walsh, from what I have seen of him in Oireachtas committee meetings, is an excellent choice for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Any word on why the Shugborough Interchange works have not started?

After years of awaiting something like this, TII have published a major run through of all major projects.

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/Major-Active-Projects.pdf

Very detailed and up to date. I can get rid of my less accurate attempts to do something similar from my OneNote now at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

After years of awaiting something like this, TII have published a major run through of all major projects.

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/Major-Active-Projects.pdf

Very detailed and up to date. I can get rid of my less accurate attempts to do something similar from my OneNote now at least :)

Very interesting, this; if it's to be believed as being accurate, then it has the N22 Farranfore to Killarney scheme, the 2 N21 Relief Road schemes and the N2 Slane Bypass down as being 2+2 upgrades, and The N24 Cahir to Limerick Junction down as a Motorway upgrade.

Wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interestingly too the N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton scheme map shows it going quite a distance to the east of Midleton, not just a half arsed upgrade of the dual carriageway up to the Midleton roundabout. Could be interesting.

Interestingly too the N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton scheme map shows it going quite a distance to the east of Midleton, not just a half arsed upgrade of the dual carriageway up to the Midleton roundabout. Could be interesting.

Well spotted Chris, I missed that one.

Well spotted Chris, I missed that one.

It also states that they want it to be a motorway, which would be a significant upgrade on the existing road (and would hopefully mean higher speed limits to go with it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is there a particular definition of what type of road Expressway is? Many of them are described as that, including the one that would pass close to me, N24 Waterford-Cahir.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is there a particular definition of what type of road Expressway is? Many of them are described as that, including the one that would pass close to me, N24 Waterford-Cahir.

2+2 Dual Carriageway (Type 2 DC), like the N21 Castleisland Bypass or the N17 Tuam Bypass, for example.

I wish they'd make 2+2s have a higher speed limit, the equivalent roads in the UK are 70 mph (and thanks to a quirk in the speeding fines in England and Wales, you can actually do 79 mph in those parts of the UK before you'll get a speeding ticket).

I'm not saying we should go to 120 for them, but there's surely a case to be made for 110 (not that it will ever happen with the Greens in power, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think there are a couple of examples of 120 on DC here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Could Expressway be single carriageway but with junctions which avoid traffic crossing lanes?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Could Expressway be single carriageway but with junctions which avoid traffic crossing lanes?

No. Expressway is Type 2 DC.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I think there are a couple of examples of 120 on DC here.

Yes, but they are TYPE 1 DCs, which are Motorway standard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've moved all the Carrigtwohill-Midleton posts into the relevant thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114942408#post114942408

On this thread, let's just talk generally about the TII document, and NDP stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton upgrade will be a motorway.
    N24 Cahir-Limerick Junction will be a motorway.
    N22 Farranfore-Killarney will be a dual carriageway.
    N21 Newcastlewest and Abbeyfeale bypasses will be dual carriageway.
    M4 Maynooth to Leixlip will involve widening to 3 lanes each way and the addition of bus lanes.
    N3 M50 to Clonee is still not confirmed to involve widening to 3 lanes but it will involve junction changes and addition of bus lanes.
    N52 Kilbeggan-Tullamore will be a dual carriageway.

Advertisement