Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That green space holds huge potential.

It's on a hill, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

What happened to BMW garage that was supposed to go in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Having JYSK in that tiny unit where PC World was seems silly..

Their store in Drogheda looks considerably larger..

jysk-drogheda-1.jpg

EDIT: It's actually a 7000 square foot store so maybe about the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Its going to be challenging maintaining social distancing outside when all the units are occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

That green space holds huge potential.

Absolulty, wouldn't it be really nice to see a public park with lots of native trees, flowers and walking paths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Absolulty, wouldn't it be really nice to see a public park with lots of native trees, flowers and walking paths

No! - it would be more fitting to keep it commercial there in that space , plenty of other public parks and in Sligo . I quite like Doorly Park myself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Make it a nice bus stop.
    You know, the one for the bus that takes you into the pedestrianised town center every 10 minutes.
    The car park up there is only ever half full at the busiest of times, dedicate the bottom half of it to the park and ride service that takes you into our lovely car-free town center every 10 minutes, you know the one ..

..oh wait ..I'm dreaming again ...

No! - it would be more fitting to keep it commercial there in that space , plenty of other public parks and in Sligo . I quite like Doorly Park myself

Because the retail park out there is totally full and commercial businessss are crying out for more space. Not to mention all the free building in cleveragh, finisklin and the main town centre. Clearly what we need is more buildings which remain empty

Doorly park is lovely doesnt mean that we cant have another lovely park too though

peasant wrote: »
    Make it a nice bus stop.
    You know, the one for the bus that takes you into the pedestrianised town center every 10 minutes.
    The car park up there is only ever half full at the busiest of times, dedicate the bottom half of it to the park and ride service that takes you into our lovely car-free town center every 10 minutes, you know the one ..

..oh wait ..I'm dreaming again ...

Yes I think park and ride systems are great idea, I'd wonder would there be the footfall for it to be sustainable in the long run from carroroe

when other places around the country and other countries tend to have great 10 screen cinema complexes and other amusements built on the same site as an out of town retail park or next to a retail park look at us , I mean a big cinema / bowling alley / amusements complex would go great up there on that green bit up at the retail park ... but oh no, not us - look at the objections when they wanted to build a cinema complex down by cleaveragh recently - this town is stifled sometimes with peoples small minded attitudes with stopping certain things opening up over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

when other places around the country and other countries tend to have great 10 screen cinema complexes and other amusements built on the same site as an out of town retail park or next to a retail park look at us , I mean a big cinema / bowling alley / amusements complex would go great up there on that green bit up at the retail park ... but oh no, not us - look at the objections when they wanted to build a cinema complex down by cleaveragh recently - this town is stifled sometimes with peoples small minded attitudes with stopping certain things opening up over the years

When those things are taken out of the town centre, the night time economy of a your town suffers. There's no arguments for parking at those hours of the night and we need our town centres to be attractive for those that live there.

I live most of the year in Carlow, we've all of those things outside of the town centre. No one goes to them on foot.

Harvey Norman are planning on a late October opening in Sligo according to today's Irish Times.

prodsc wrote: »
    Harvey Norman are planning on a late October opening in Sligo according to today's Irish Times.

Good time to open, in time to get the Christmas 2020 business

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

4 lights will be re-opening in a few weeks I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Oat23 wrote: »
    4 lights will be re-opening in a few weeks I was told.

As the Four Lights, or something else?

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    As the Four Lights, or something else?

As the 4 lights again.

Heard it from the same person who told me it was closing around 2 weeks before it became known in the town, so I assume it's true.

I rarely go there but a lot of folks were disappointed when it closed and it's a Sligo landmark, so I'll be happy to see it back open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Oat23 wrote: »
    As the 4 lights again.

Heard it from the same person who told me it was closing around 2 weeks before it became known in the town, so I assume it's true.

I rarely go there but a lot of folks were disappointed when it closed and it's a Sligo landmark, so I'll be happy to see it back open again.

This
    It should always be reopened as the same. Part of the history of the town is that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

This
    It should always be reopened as the same. Part of the history of the town is that place.

I was only half joking that the council should step in and run it if it was to close permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

I hear O’Neill’s are opening a pub opposite lady Erin statue on grattan st/ castle st junction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sligored wrote: »
    I hear O’Neill’s are opening a pub opposite lady Erin statue on grattan st/ castle st junction

Last I heard he was interested in McHughs.

JYSK opening at Carraroe RP confirmed for Thursday 27th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Four Lanterns is back!!

Curry Chips on the way home on a Saturday night, or a chilly Showgrounds.

Yeah baby!!

Facebook.com/Sligofour.lanterns/

:D:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The Four Lanterns is back!!

Curry Chips on the way home on a Saturday night, or a chilly Showgrounds.

Yeah baby!!

Facebook.com/Sligofour.lanterns/

:D:D

Great memories of that as a kid on a winter night. Showgrounds. 4 lights and then home to watch match of the day :)

Apparently the queue was going up harmony hill this evening. Mad busy.

Glad they’re open again but would you seriously stand in a queue for up to an hour for what amounts to junk food, give it a few days and the queues won’t be as as bad! From what I could see in passing by, there wasn’t much heed passed on social distancing or mask wearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lenan

Monsoon & Accessorize reopening, looking for staff on Quayside FB page

Any news on Harvey Norman? Late October still on track I wonder..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Basq wrote: »
    Any news on Harvey Norman? Late October still on track I wonder..

I heard so yesterday. A mate of mine just got taken on there, said it's end of October for opening.

530239.jpg

• Advertisement

Opening should probably be in quotes..

Advertisement