Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks Mick.

I don't appreciate you photoshopping my watch onto your wrist though :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or ye can wait for the Wibbulator(tm)(c) to tweak and embed it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or ye can wait for the Wibbulator(tm)(c) to tweak and embed it. :D

If the Wibbulator (tm) (c) (MBE) doesn't mind :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

So the Sinn 104 finally arrived - absolutely thrilled with it.

Rated as "fair condition" on Chrono24 and better condition than any of my watches by far. The bezel was about half a click misaligned and I suspect the main reason the seller was letting it go. An absolute gent, the best communication of any deal I've done so far and happy to provide macro shots on request. Classic case of buying the seller not the watch!

Having researched, I discovered there are 9 possible bearing positions for fine adjustment. I got it dead centered with this handy guide and 2 mins with a screwdriver.

Very honest seller, all packaging and outer boxes absolutely mint, an unused Sinn alligator strap included. Desk dives on the clasp and fine hairline scratches on two replaceable links is all I can see with my naked eye (came with three more links, already swapped). Might scotchbrite the clasp at a later date, doesn't bother me in the slightest - it's a tool watch and inevitable either way. Will be leaving it on the H link, love the robustness and fit.

So here's a quick 'n' dirty snap of my new to me 104. More to follow I'm sure when I'm stuck at home again for the next 6 weeks with a bit more free time!

530190.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

i just use ibb image hosting.. upload from phone.. gives you bbcode full linked url links and paste into post..

Be seriously careful, that hasn’t stripped the meta data from the image; part of the reason I like Flickr. For example, I can see where that photo was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Cool watch David. I like the way the days are in German too. Thats the type of thing that would appeal to me if I was looking for Sinn.

Why when the attach files option is used does the photo appear sometimes and only in the attachment link at other times ?

redlead wrote: »
    Cool watch David. I like the way the days are in German too. Thats the type of thing that would appeal to me if I was looking for Sinn.
    Thanks!

I had mentioned previously I was culling the herd to a utilitarian 2 watch German collection. I feel this and the Stowa Marine compliment each other very well And cover a lot of bases for me.

Loving the German days too. I was apprehensive about the Sellita but it feels very solid. Smooth rotor movement, nice feel to the wind and an instant click over two positions to increment the day wheel at midnight. None of this Seiko “come back to me in 2hrs nonsense. Seller rated it at +4 seconds per day so we’ll see how that goes. Sinn are famous for regulating their movements to decent tolerances (if not their bezels at least!) fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

redlead wrote: »
    Why when the attach files option is used does the photo appear sometimes and only in the attachment link at other times ?

when it appears inline and as an attachment, it means the poster attached the image, opened the attachment and embedded its url in IMG tags. it can be handier than using another site but whatever floats your uboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ryath

when it appears inline and as an attachment, it means the poster attached the image, opened the attachment and embedded its url in IMG tags. it can be handier than using another site but whatever floats your uboat.

I find it handier, you don't have to actually have to open the attachment. Just right click attachment after uploading and copy link address and paste that into the image tags. Only thing to bear in mind is you need to resize the photo before uploading. The image hosting sites can be handy alright as they can resize the photo/give thumbnail options you can link through.

No guarantee how long some of them will be hosted though. All my older images are gone as the site I was using is now dead. Hope boards attachments last as long as boards is around but no guarantee of that either especially with the way the site has being acting up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Also purchased a Sinn that arrived yesterday. Very happy with it.

530253.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭micks_address

love the sinn 556a... almost bought a few times.... any details on purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Congratulation on the new Sinns guys, they are both very nice!

Its new watch day for me too, the postman just brought me a present before the weekend.

WfFdMn1l.jpg
    Steinhart GMT Ocean 1.

A spur of the moment purchase, and my third Steinhart. I had sold my Ocean 1 about 6 months ago when I had a clear out and suffered a bit of sellers remorse. Happy enough to replace it with this piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,028 ✭✭✭✭unkel

80% of the quality of the Rolex GMT Master II at less than 10% of the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

unkel wrote: »

It really does make you question the sanity of spending that much on a GMT Master II. With that said, if I had the cash I would upgrade tomorrow! When has sanity ever been associated with watch collecting?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »

Have to agree.
    I have the pepsi version that I picked up from Fitz and it has rapidly become one of my favourites.

We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads. Love the 556!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

david wrote: »
    We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads
    :D +1. If I were in the market for a new/current watch Sinn would be pretty much top of my personal list.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

david wrote: »
    We'll have a few Hail Mary's after all these Sinn's lads. Love the 556!

I'm seriously considering an 856utc I love the look of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭893bet

The extra “20 percent“ (and it’s way more than 20 percent IMO) is worth it.

Buy the best you can with your budget. The difference between a Rolex and steinhart is day and night.

If you only focus on “value for money” then why bother with Steinhart? Seiko would be much better value for money in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

893bet wrote: »
    The extra “20 percent“ (and it’s way more than 20 percent IMO) is worth it.

Buy the best you can with your budget. The difference between a Rolex and steinhart is day and night.

If you only focus on “value for money” then why bother with Steinhart? Seiko would be much better value for money in comparison.

That's a very good point.

In your opinion, who more or less matches the overall quality of Rolex, in tool watch department, but does not have the brand caché and consequently does not command the same price?

Is it a traditional Swiss manufacturer, or a far eastern candidate, or perhaps someone more Teutonic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭893bet

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    That's a very good point.

In your opinion, who more or less matches the overall quality of Rolex, in tool watch department, but does not have the brand caché and consequently does not command the same price?

Is it a traditional Swiss manufacturer, or a far eastern candidate, or perhaps someone more Teutonic?

I wouldn’t have experience of handling any far or near eastern brands to even comment and have gone fairly niche in the last few years in terms of buying and even handling watches.

Omega very comfortable match Rolex and exceed them interns of finish but don’t have the “cache” and fall further behind in that department daily it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,028 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Agreed that the extra 20% can be worth it. Do not agree that Omega have the same quality feel as Rolex though. They are nearly the same price it seems today so someone in the Omega marketing department deserves a mega bonus for making people believe they are as good :pac:

893bet wrote: »
    I wouldn’t have experience of handling any far or near eastern brands to even comment and have gone fairly niche in the last few years in terms of buying and even handling watches.

Omega very comfortable match Rolex and exceed them interns of finish but don’t have the “cache” and fall further behind in that department daily it seems.

Would agree regarding Omega, they seem to be making a really concerted effort to ride the coat tails of Rolex' price inflation and to keep themselves positioned as an alternative.
    I think the problem with that is, if you look for a Rolex sub, you are told waitlist for 8k or grey market for 10k.
    The usual immediate alternative is an Omega, thing is that the price has jumped considerably over the last few years (not that I've bought one or know much more than I've read).

Trying to reconcile the new cost of a Seamaster, versus the lower 2nd hand value and comparing that to the unique pricing of the new sub and an even higher 2nd hand price is impossible.

That said, the Omega is a lovely watch and in a world where Rolex is the benchmark for quality?
    I'd have to agree that Omega meet and even exceed it, and there is a huge variety of models at good 2nd hand value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah the new bond Seamaster is like 8.5k? I would have said Omega all day long because they were cheaper but if you are paying Rolex money then id probably look at Rolex. The Seamaster will drop value much much quicker..
    banie01 wrote: »
    Would agree regarding Omega, they seem to be making a really concerted effort to ride the coat tails of Rolex' price inflation and to keep themselves positioned as an alternative.
    I think the problem with that is, if you look for a Rolex sub, you are told waitlist for 8k or grey market for 10k.
    The usual immediate alternative is an Omega, thing is that the price has jumped considerably over the last few years (not that I've bought one or know much more than I've read).

Trying to reconcile the new cost of a Seamaster, versus the lower 2nd hand value and comparing that to the unique pricing of the new sub and an even higher 2nd hand price is impossible.

That said, the Omega is a lovely watch and in a world where Rolex is the benchmark for quality?
    I'd have to agree that Omega meet and even exceed it, and there is a huge variety of models at good 2nd hand value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Interesting.

Love to see the various view points on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.

AP is had more quality than rolex, the finishing is beyond supurb. No real time with patek to make comment. I would class JLC as a finer made watch than Rolex but nowhere near the cache.

Rolex have a unique niche carved out in that 8-12k bracket of sports watches. Nobody else has the total package. Omega are trying but they need to work on the branding and raising that level of desirability.

Omega are in a funny place at the moment. They are desperately trying to keep themselves associated with Rolex in terms of their main competitor so the prices seem to be going up bit but at the other end a lot of Rolex fanboys are desperately trying to promote Tudor as a worthy alternative to Omega (there is absolutely no comparison to be had there). I've never owned an Omega or a Rolex but have held a fair few of them and in my opinion Omega slightly pips rolex on finish and Rolex probably pips Omega on robustness. They really are worthy adversaries but the closer to Rolex Omegas are in price, the harder it is justify buying one over a rolex because of their residuals. My personal preference astethically is always Omega but Rolex will always be Rolex. The brand goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,837 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    Omega doesnt have the feels for me the way Rolex does, although I cannot fault the quality of Omega watches. Rolex has an solidity to it, and a quality of materials that is hard to put your finger on. Steinhart is not even in the ballpark and one wind of the crown and you are immediately reminded that its nowhere near. Steinhart is good dont get me wrong, but its many grades below.

AP is had more quality than rolex, the finishing is beyond supurb. No real time with patek to make comment. I would class JLC as a finer made watch than Rolex but nowhere near the cache.

Rolex have a unique niche carved out in that 8-12k bracket of sports watches. Nobody else has the total package. Omega are trying but they need to work on the branding and raising that level of desirability.

agreed, its whats behind the boutique push so to put an end to AD discounts, nothing devalues your value proposition as much as the fella two doors down doing them at 20% off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement