Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

• 05-11-2020 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭

This is a thread about the Presidency of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

This thread is set to be moved to the Politics History forum on 20th January 2025, to join the Donald Trump Presidency thread there, and to be followed here by the Kamala Harris Presidency thread.

Here's to a peaceful and constructive transition, a Presidency for All Americans and a historic emergence of a great and fair society.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Best of luck in what will be a terribly difficult job , the country is so divided , just hope some of the wounds heal in 2021, in a country I love a lot - America doesnt get much love here these days , but so many good people ther.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Don't jinx it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s not a done deal yet Tom. Yes, it’s looking good to very good as it stands but until it’s called it’s not over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The work has already started.

The team spent the day in briefings on Covid. They're simply getting on with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The Darkest Timeline is coming to an end it seems. Biden won't be able to undo all the damage this administration has caused over the last number of year's but he will be able to reverse a good deal of it. Could even luck out and see them take the senate if they can win the Georgia run off's but without that it will likely be damage control and bridge building at least until 2022 comes round and the mid terms happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's going to get worse before it gets better , unless there is huge changes across the board , trump will keep pouring petrol on everything until eventually it blows up ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Biden will start a war of aggression against another state (on false pretences) or foment a rebellion abroad. Probably he will do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Having spent yesterday being briefed on the uncontrolled wildfire that is Covid infection, the incoming Presidential Team need to focus on the next most dangerous threat to Americans and their country. Unlike Covid, this threat did not originate in China, but in the United States itself. It has been growing for years and has now finally metasticised into a poisonous tumour that needs immediate attention before it destroys the body it is feeding on.

As they begin their day's work today, they must deal with the dangerous fall-out from the tsunami of lies and exhortations to violence and chaos that are coming from the current ex-President and his dangerous cabal of surrogates. While the votes continue to be counted, let's not forget that the election process will continue for many weeks before it can be considered done and dusted. So, at some point, the Biden-Harris Presidency, already working, MUST clearly state that it has started the Transition process, in accordance with the Law. That point is now! Every day that the current ex-President is allowed to foment anger, sow chaos and defy the Will of the People is another day that further entrenches hatred and division; a day that can never be recovered. Meanwhile another 1,000+ people will die and 130,000+ cases will be infected as a policy of allowing uncontrolled disease to spread continues unchallenged across many parts of the country.

Call it, Mr President-Elect.! Call it Now!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Anyone got any clues on the make up of Biden's cabinet?

If I were him I'd go full bore to troll the GOP:

Hilary as Sec of State again
    Obama as AG
    AOC as Sec of the treasury

But that's not going to happen.

I think Warren would make a great Sec of State. She's not tarnished by any history with the Iraq war.

I'd like to see Stacey Abrahams get HUD. For 2 years and run again for the Senate.

Mayor Pete for Agriculture.

What I really want is an atheist for Education Secretary.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Brian? wrote: »

Obama as AG

I think Warren would make a great Sec of State. She's not tarnished by any history with the Iraq war.

I'd like to see Stacey Abrahams get HUD. For 2 years and run again for the Senate.

Captain Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt knowingly risked his career for the safety of his troops. His actions were heroic, and he was sacked for them. I'm sure there have been many people who have been wrongfully removed from office under Trump, this is just one of them, and I really hope he is rewarded for his bravery and commitment to his troops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Obama as AG

Adam Schiff for Kamala's senate seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Obama as AG

The Iraq war doesn't matter an iota and the idea that anyone is tarnished by it is absurd. Joe Biden who supported it just got a record number of votes while various GOP abominations who supported it have been put on a pedestal and showered with money by online resistance@! people.

Hopefully they find a spot for Yang somewhere, but if the senate remains in Mitch's hand, I assume it will be neo liberal ghouls galore confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Obama as AG

I'm not sure I'd want to pull Senators to fill the cabinet, especially Warren. I think she could be a much stronger force in Congress

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Iraq war doesn't matter an iota and the idea that anyone is tarnished by it is absurd. Joe Biden who supported it just got a record number of votes while various GOP abominations who supported it have been put on a pedestal and showered with money by online resistance@! people.

Hopefully they find a spot for Yang somewhere, but if the senate remains in Mitch's hand, I assume it will be neo liberal ghouls galore confirmed.

Iraq matters outside the US, not inside. Can you lay off the hyperbole, it’s not “absurd”.

they/them/theirs

I'm not sure I'd want to pull Senators to fill the cabinet, especially Warren. I think she could be a much stronger force in Congress

It’s ok to pull senators in some states. Each state decides how it replaces its Senators.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Iraq matters outside the US, not inside. Can you lay off the hyperbole, it’s not “absurd”.

Apologies for using the word absurd that was rude .

I think its fair to say though the Iraq war when it comes to 2020 politics just doesn't matter and those who supported it haven't been affected whatsoever in the political or real world so if Biden were to fill his cabinet with hawks who supported it then it won't affect him whatsoever.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Apologies for using the word absurd that was rude .

Apology accepted.
    I think its fair to say though the Iraq war when it comes to 2020 politics just doesn't matter and those who supported it haven't been affected whatsoever in the political or real world so if Biden were to fill his cabinet with hawks who supported it then it won't affect him whatsoever.

Absolutely it won't affect him in any way at home. My point was that Harris would be unburdened by Iraq and Afghanistan when negotiating with foreign leaders. Particularly in the middle East.

they/them/theirs

Judging by his media appearances in support of Biden leading up to the election Pete Buttigieg will certainly be getting a big job. He also bowed out of the primary race at a very convenient time for Biden so I suspect a deal was made then. Same goes for Amy Klobuchar but not sure if she'd want to leave the Senate.

After the Trump administration I don't care who gets jobs so long as they are qualified to do them and aren't partisan hacks.

Would Doug Jones be a shout for AG? former prosecutor and lost his senate seat so wouldn't need to be replaced and supposed to be moderate enough

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What I’d love most would be for a SCOTUS vacancy to come up and Obama be nominated for it.

It would wind up the GOP no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Would Doug Jones be a shout for AG? former prosecutor and lost his senate seat so wouldn't need to be replaced and supposed to be moderate enough

Moderation is not needed for the AG. Need someone who will aggressively pursue all the crooks who've profited over the last 4 years.

Moderation is not needed for the AG. Need someone who will aggressively pursue all the crooks who've profited over the last 4 years.

Meant moderate as in he wouldn't be a controversial pick that would get voted no by the republicans in the senate. I think Jones voted for Barr when he was been confirmed

Faugheen wrote: »
    What I’d love most would be for a SCOTUS vacancy to come up and Obama be nominated for it.

It would wind up the GOP no end.

Need 50 seats in the Senate for anything like that. it's still possible but it's going to be very difficult to achieve. Losing Maine to Collins especially was probably the low point of the entire week for the Democrats.

Judging by his media appearances in support of Biden leading up to the election Pete Buttigieg will certainly be getting a big job. He also bowed out of the primary race at a very convenient time for Biden so I suspect a deal was made then. Same goes for Amy Klobuchar but not sure if she'd want to leave the Senate.

After the Trump administration I don't care who gets jobs so long as they are qualified to do them and aren't partisan hacks.

Pete is rumoured to be getting the ambassador to UN role. I think that would be great.

It puts an openly gay man right in the middle of US foreign policy. That's a direct challenge to anti LGBT governments

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if there's any republican senator from a state with a democratic governor will be offered a cabinet job in a bipartisan move.

Get the Democrats an extra senator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

I wonder if there's any republican senator from a state with a democratic governor will be offered a cabinet job in a bipartisan move.

No Republican is going to take a position in Biden's cabinet and give up their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not the case in every state that the governor appoints a new senator if a senator leaves or dies or whatever.

Famously in the lead up to the 2004 election Ted Kennedy (D) in MA was behind a move to change the system in that state where the new senator would be elected by special election (by-election in our language) rather than being nominated by the governor.

The thinking was that John Kerry (D) would become president but Mitt Romney (R) would be able to nominate his successor.

So the MA legislature changed it to a special election.

Anyway nothing came of it because Kerry lost the election to Bush.

Fast forward a few years.
    Kennedy himself dies, and instead of the then governor Deval Patrick (D) being able to nominate his successor it goes to a special election.
    And Scott Brown (R) beats Martha Coakley (D) for the Senate seat.

As it turns out Brown subsequently lost to Warren (D) a few years later but it was ironic at the time.

Just looking there. the Americans constantly refer to their Presidents by their numbers. Obama - 44; Trump 45. So Joe Biden will be 46. However he won't be the 46th man to become President. Grover Cleveland served non-consecutive terms so he got numbers 22 & 24. Seems a little bit odd. I'd have just left him as 22 since he is the same person after all but I guess that's not the convention. So if Trump comes back and wins in 2024 he'll be 45 & 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Got to get Andrew Yang in there some where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for Joe Biden. Third time lucky. At last America gets the President that they the people voted for. It's the President that America needs now someone to bring them altogether, to heal and unit as the United States of America.
    I am also delighted for Kamala Harris. The first Female Vice President and also a women of colour too. Delighted for them both. The world will be a safer place with them in charge and not a glorified Clown.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement