Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macOS 11 - Big Sur

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Half an hour since I started, I’m half way through (6.11 GB) and it says 4 hours remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭fjon

I have decided when I eventually upgrade I will do a clean install. My Mac is 7 years old and has loads of crap on it I'm sure.
    Anyone done this? Bit daunted about putting all the files back on it. Do you just put them all on to an external drive and move them over bit by bit? Obviously doing a Time Machine restore defeats the purpose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got 2 and a bit in, went to watch TV and then got an error. 1.78GB for a little bit, now it's saying 54 minutes.

“Installation failed”.

Started the process again, and it immediately jumped up to 1.72GB process, but there’s no time estimate. Realistically, I don’t see this happening until the weekend.

Remember when OS updates used to come on MacFormat magazine cover disks? Those were the days.

I can’t even remember how I upgraded from System 6 to System 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Spoke too soon, failed again...
    It just doesn't want to know.

• Advertisement

Yeah, getting constant failures now. I’ll try again in the morning when the Americans are asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

fjon wrote: »
    I have decided when I eventually upgrade I will do a clean install. My Mac is 7 years old and has loads of crap on it I'm sure.
    Anyone done this? Bit daunted about putting all the files back on it. Do you just put them all on to an external drive and move them over bit by bit? Obviously doing a Time Machine restore defeats the purpose.

I do this all the time, really easy to get started from scratch. I usually do a time machine backup and then copy all the files over to a separate hard drive as a double backup just in case.

Simple restart and hold Cmd+R to boot to the recovery partition and then you can reinstall. One thing to note, I think you need to actually update to Big Sur first before doing this, as I think the recovery partition method only lets you reinstall the most recent version on your Mac. So you can install the Mac’s original OS, or the most recent Mac version (that you had installed). Once you’re done manually copy all the files back over.

As 11 is such a big jump I’ve decided to do a clean install myself. Going to update first, then reformat and reinstall macOS 11. That is if the download ever works.

Another option is to create a bootable usb with macOS 11 on it, I prefer the recovery partition method though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭fjon

DubDJ wrote: »
    I do this all the time, really easy to get started from scratch. I usually do a time machine backup and then copy all the files over to a separate hard drive as a double backup just in case.

Simple restart and hold Cmd+R to boot to the recovery partition and then you can reinstall. One thing to note, I think you need to actually update to Big Sur first before doing this, as I think the recovery partition method only lets you reinstall the most recent version on your Mac. So you can install the Mac’s original OS, or the most recent Mac version (that you had installed). Once you’re done manually copy all the files back over.

As 11 is such a big jump I’ve decided to do a clean install myself. Going to update first, then reformat and reinstall macOS 11. That is if the download ever works.

Another option is to create a bootable usb with macOS 11 on it, I prefer the recovery partition method though.

Cool, yes I was going to create a bootable USB drive with Big Sur on it like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mxLeNx9HLM

It's more the copying back of the files that I'm worried about, especially for stuff like Logic where stuff is spread across different places.
    Anyway, will give it a few days so I can actually download the thing without these issues you guys are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If you start up holding CMD + Option + R (internet recovery) it will give you the option to install the newest version available, which in this case is Big Sur. You can then erase the drive in this recovery partition and install a clean install rather than installing it twice.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    If you start up holding CMD + Option + R (internet recovery) it will give you the option to install the newest version available, which in this case is Big Sur. You can then erase the drive in this recovery partition and install a clean install rather than installing it twice.

I don’t think it works that way though, the CMD+Option+R command installs the latest version of the OS that I had installed. I’ve tried it a couple of times and it never seemed to download the newest release.

Still haven’t managed the update, right now it won’t even let me start the install anymore.

• Advertisement

I don’t think it works that way though, the CMD+Option+R command installs the latest version of the OS that I had installed. I’ve tried it a couple of times and it never seemed to download the newest release.

Still haven’t managed the update, right now it won’t even let me start the install anymore.

That’s the way it should work in general:

“ Option-⌘-R
    Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.”

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

Maybe not tonight though with the mess the servers have been in.

That’s the way it should work in general:

“ Option-⌘-R
    Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.”

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

Maybe not tonight though with the mess the servers have been in.

It was previous updates that I’d tried it with that didn’t work. It just reinstalled the latest release minor point release of Mac, but not 10.15 for example.

I see on Twitter there are widespread server issues and nobody can start the download. 9to5 reported the issues as resolved but still broken for me and a lot of the replies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Thought my MacBook was just within range, but it's the last version that's not supported. iMac is older still so it looks like I'm stuck on Catalina :(

It was previous updates that I’d tried it with that didn’t work. It just reinstalled the latest release minor point release of Mac, but not 10.15 for example.

Was that even with the internet recovery version? I know the local version (CMD+R) will only offer the OS that you’re on currently.

I will test it on my own in a few days but it has worked in the past for people I’ve asked to do it.

Was that even with the internet recovery version? I know the local version (CMD+R) will only offer the OS that you’re on currently.

I will test it on my own in a few days but it has worked in the past for people I’ve asked to do it.

I gave up in the end so I will test out the internet recovery option tomorrow and see can I reinstall with Big Sur.

Retried there a couple of minutes ago.

It's 8.8gb down with 4 minutes to go.

532773.png

Edit: it finished downloading in the time it took to take the screenshot and post this.

Reading through the support docs it seems that if you format the SSD first then it might only offer the version that came with the Mac, which is what I usually do. So that explains it.

10GB in, 16 minutes to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Downloaded and installed this morning on a Mid-2015 MBP with 16GB RAM - working faster than Catalina, all 3rd party apps fine so far - MS Office 2019, Roomsketcher, Menumeters, 1Password.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

is there any way to get this installed on a system that's not supported natively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anybody else have issue where SideCar ain't working after BigSur Upgrade ?

Had issues with Apple Watch unlocking at first, but had to disable and re-enable the feature few times before it started working again

By far this has been the most awkward OS install for me. Ran into so many issues aside from the ones related to the outage last night.

I have a modern MacBook with the T2 security chip. What I wanted to do is completely format the SSD, and install a fresh copy of macOS 11 Big Sur.

After a lot of trial and error I found this to be the easiest and most efficient way.

1. Create an installer USB drive, easy enough to do Apple have instructions you can Google.
    2. Boot into recovery with CMD+R and once it’s loaded up click the utilities menu bar on the top and choose ‘startup disk security’ or close to that name.
    3. It will ask for your password, once you enter it you can select the option at the bottom to allow installs from usb stick.
    4. Restart the Mac and hold down the option key, keep it held down and select the macOS installer usb as the startup disk.
    5. The Mac will boot into the usb installer and from there you can reformat the SSD and then install the OS directly from the USB.

I ran into countless issues with every possible configuration going. I didn’t want to install an older version of macOS 10.X and then upgrade to 11 as I wanted a fully clean install. Because it had a T2 chip and I wanted to reformat and go straight to 11 it caused all those problems. Just thought I’d post here for anyone else thinking of going the same way, and for myself when I run into the same issues next time :D

OU812 wrote: »
    is there any way to get this installed on a system that's not supported natively.

It's claimed there is:

https://www.uubyte.com/install-macos-big-sur-on-unsupported-mac.html

do at your own risk.

Installed it at lunch. It says 'verifying Microsoft Powerpoint' since the start. PP works fine. I'll try to restart and see if that gets rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Updated my 2018 MacBook Pro & Late 2015 iMac today without any issues so far. Feels a lot snappier, the subtle re-design is nice but feel like the notification centre, widgets etc. are a bit of a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Updated my late-2014 mini earlier without any issues. Took about an hour all-in.

I have an old mid-2012 MBP and I’m tempted to try the hack above. I assume that once installed, the machine will still get Big Sur updates as normal?

Fully upgraded and setup right now. Really liking it so far, the visual differences make the OS very modern. One or two small UI glitches I've noticed so far. The Mac login screen shows my profile image very blurred. Also, an external drive had the eject button beside it misaligned. Other than that I think I've figured everything out so far. Definitely a lot of changes and thing not where they used to be but liking it a lot overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Installed it yesterday and so far I'm absolutely loving it.

Interface looks cleaner and a lot more up-to-date and modern. Seems there is a proper 'dark mode' now. Also loving the status bar additions.
    What really stands out for me is that everything feels much snappier and faster. Safari seems to be flying compared to previous.

Anyone else think this too or is there some sort of side effect at play for me?

It's definitely much snappier in general, but I'm really surprised at the difference in speed of page loads in Safari. There's alway claims of various updates claiming that they speed up a browser, but I never really see it, and have learned to take such claims with a grain of salt. This update really does improve page load times.

One case in point is Boards pages. Usually, I'm used to the page loading, then a few seconds later, the ad at the top of the page appearing. This pushes all the content down, so it means that if you try to quickly click on a link as soon as the page loads, it'll move down by the time you get your cursor to where it was. So you end up missing the link and maybe clicking on something you didn't mean to. This isn't happening any more - the whole page, including the ad, loads pretty much instantaneously.

The only thing I don't like so far is the slightly 3D icons. I think they should have them the exact same as the iOS ones. Flat and modern. Shadows and bevels feel like a throwback.

Widgets need a bit of work too. Obviously 3rd party ones aren't really available yet, but the Apple ones are lacking. Where's the battery one that's so useful on iOS? I've my MBP itself, AirPods, Magic Mouse and Keyboard to keep an eye on battery levels for - surely the standard battery widget would be ideal for this?

• Advertisement

I agree about the icons also, they feel a little jarring. Also, there are some widgets missing I thought would be there such as a battery widget. And a new Home app widget would be welcome too, or at least control centre shortcuts.

Advertisement