Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k UHD Blu-ray recommendations

• 13-11-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Any 4k DVD recommendations ?

So far ppl recommended Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049 and Back to the Future Trilogy,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Buttros

The Revenent looks class. Logan comes with Noir version in 4k too which is pretty cool.

Planet Earth 2 as well of course.

Last disc I bought was Apocalypse now. Would recommend that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Dunkirk looks unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Zulu looks fantastic in 4K
    also Interstellar and Mad Max Fury Road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Obviously the film may split opinion but Pacific Rim is my reference disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

On a similar theme, are there any good websites or YouTube channels that review 4K discs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Spider-man Into The Spider-Verse is stunning on 4k Disc. I just picked up the 4k remaster of The Elephant Man, but haven't had a chance to watch it, have heard very good things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Best ones I've got (in order)

Dawn of the Dead (Big £80 box set)
    Alien
    Jaws
    Into The Spiderverse
    Predator
    Stand By Me
    Revenant

Other good ones...

Bladerunner 2049
    Dunkirk
    The Fog
    Halloween & Halloween 2018
    The Shining
    Phantom Thread

Restorations of old classics are the way to go. Always check the reviews on bluray.com as well before purchasing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The matrix

Genuinely saw detail that I hadn't seen before in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My 4K UHD Blu-ray recommendations list based on what I have heard on Blu-ray.com

Total Recall
    Beetlejuice
    Flash Gordon
    The Alfred Hitchcock Collection
    The Lord of The Rings/The Hobbit Trilogy
    Batman movies from Tim Burton/the late Joel Schumacher
    Don't Look Now
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Superman The Movie
    Harry Potter Collection
    Full Metal Jacket

I hope that's a good list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

"Dredd" looked and sounded surreal in 4K.

I haven't seen it but I've heard great things about "Apollo 11" in 4K

• Advertisement

Anybody got any advice on buying a Blu Ray player? I've got the Middle Earth collection (Hobbit and LOTR extended editions) but no player yet. I see there is a massive variation in price from about 50 euro to over 300. Not keen on spending too much as I probably won't use it much. Do the cheap ones do the same basic job or would I end up regretting being a skinflint? Would have posted a thread in the Home Entertainment forum but is seems pretty quiet in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Anybody got any advice on buying a Blu Ray player? I've got the Middle Earth collection (Hobbit and LOTR extended editions) but no player yet. I see there is a massive variation in price from about 50 euro to over 300. Not keen on spending too much as I probably won't use it much. Do the cheap ones do the same basic job or would I end up regretting being a skinflint? Would have posted a thread in the Home Entertainment forum but is seems pretty quiet in there.

If seen ppl picking up a PS3 for around 60-70€ and use them as blue ray player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Gally79 wrote: »
    If seen ppl picking up a PS3 for around 60-70€ and use them as blue ray player

Would the PS3 play 4k?

I got a blu ray player for €270. It's pricey but the plan is to build up my collection.

Would the PS3 play 4k?

I got a blu ray player for €270. It's pricey but the plan is to build up my collection.

PS3 would only play blue ray however an Xbox one S would play 4K

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Colganb

If it were me, the Sony UBP-X700 for £199 from Richersounds.ie is the one to go for. Does Dolby Vision and HDR10 so will work great with whatever TV/disc you are using. Has twin HDMI outputs to send separately to TV and amplifier. Plays 4K/BluRay/DVD/CD/SACD/3D and also will play Netflix/ Amazon Prime in 4K.
    Tell RS that it's £185 on Amazon today and they will match the price, which means you can add 6yr warranty for £18.50 and delivery to ROI is £7.

If you want to go cheaper, Panasonic DPUB150 is just £119. No Dolby Vision and just a single HDMI but a bargain of a 4K disc player.
    Hope that helps.

I've read Sony generally do these well, Bram Stoker's Dracula in particular is meant to be fantastic home theatre experience.

Looking at the upcoming LOTR release and the HP films, pricey enough but I suppose it's just money spent on non existent nights out at this point.

Tempted to get one of them for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jaws was spectacular. Amazing the background details you could pick out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've a bunch of MCU films, Dark Knight trilogy and Harry Potter collection.

I think The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are impressive. Thor Ragnarok is probably my favourite of the MCU stuff.

Although, if you want the best test stuff, you're not really going to wrong with things like Planet Earth.

I'm interested in how the LOTR one goes. Based on the blu-ray, I've a feeling that Fellowship and Two Towers, could be excellent but ROTK might be weaker

p to the e wrote: »

Excellent i literally added the Blu Ray version to my Amazon wishlist an hour ago.

• Advertisement

That has me excited anyway...I pre ordered it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arthur Fent

Lord Of The Rings and Hobbits 4K are pretty amazing. Big leap from the bluray...and the colour has been corrected too !

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Buttros

Lord Of The Rings and Hobbits 4K are pretty amazing. Big leap from the bluray...and the colour has been corrected too !

Ordered the LOTR boxset along with the Matrix boxset which is on sale from the Warner Bros shop. 10% off as was my first purchase there (code is Welcome) 95 GBP for the two boxsets. Reading great things about the Lord of the rings discs

I am jumping on the bandwagon ordering LOTR as we speak

Bit annoying though that the LOTR one will get a different better edition (with extras) next year then. Cant decide do I want to buy this one or wait for the better edition

titan18 wrote: »
    Bit annoying though that the LOTR one will get a different better edition (with extras) next year then. Cant decide do I want to buy this one or wait for the better edition

bcf011d75f2f39acf22ebe0bfb9b21f7.jpg

bcf011d75f2f39acf22ebe0bfb9b21f7.jpg

Well, I already have LOTR on VHS, dvd, extended editions dvd and Bluray. So not sure another 2 more editions is smart

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry, just curious.

Do people buy these 4k discs just for image quality and background detail.

People seem to be recommending just mainstream blockbusters and talk about details they picked up in the background rather than the actual merits of the film as a story and acting quality.

Advertisement