Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't call anyone a troll, but the thread in question is clearly a low-quality low level trolling thread. Amazing it's lasted a year... is the policy to allow shyte to draw in the flies?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I didn't call anyone a troll, but the thread in question is clearly a low-quality low level trolling thread. Amazing it's lasted a year... is the policy to allow shyte to draw in the flies?

The Charter states it is against the rules to indirectly call someone a troll - so saying the OP started a troll thread is to indirectly call them a troll.

There have been some interesting posts in that thread, and regardless of the intentions of the OP, it is a question I am sure many religious people have pondered - who better to ask than the unconvinced?

It is the policy to let discussion develop and not to interfere unless the charter is being broken.

I, personally, see no reason to close this particular thread. You do have the option of simply ignoring it. But going in there just to complain it's a troll thread could, in a certain light, be considered trolling.
    Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fairy nuff. We should make more use of the "rate thread" button :) (never used it - is there a "zero stars" option?)

Life ain't always empty.

Fairy nuff. We should make more use of the "rate thread" button :) (never used it - is there a "zero stars" option?)

No idea. Never used it either. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What, in a nutshell are the things which differentiate belief in empiricism from belief in God?

One is measurable, the other isn't.

• Advertisement

I assume those who display evidence of being empircists are empiricists on the looks like a duck basis.

If you prefer I wait until they declare which philosophy to believe in I'll wait.

You are, I suggest, engaging in protectionism when its not exactly a secret that posters display their adherence to empiricism.

Whether it is better or worse lies in the eye of the beholder. That it is better than a theistic approach to interrogating reality is assumed by those who congregate here.

But until such time as that can be demonstrated (without arguing in a circle) a belief about the superiority of empiricism over theism it remains.

Isn't that the position here? That you show your work. Otherwise the empiricists claim is just a claim as any other.

The belief is in the superiority of the method as a way of interogating reality. Indeed, the circular reasoning is that all reality is to be interrogated by the senses because thats all the reality being detected.

I suggest stalemate is the end we will arrive at. That nobody will be able to demonstrate the superiority of their empiricism method over alternatives.

That conclusion is not shutting down the discussion. If that conclusion then the discussion might move to the need for members of this forum to step down from their high horse. For instance.

Summary. Empiricism is a methodology. Supposing empiricism a superior way to approach and interogate reality is a belief.

Your assumptions are just that. Assumptions. They do not form the basis of an argument. Not even when all you have are assumptions.
    If you wish to proceed to frame your 'discussion' as an attack on empiricism the onus is on you to ascertain if your assumptions are correct, not to proceed as if they are fact.

And no - believing a methodology is superior to other methodologies does not mean that the methodology in question is a belief system.

Let's be blunt here - you have been officially warned often enough that telling other people what they believe (particularly when they have on several occasions corrected you) is soapboxing, and using that tactic to drag discussions in a circle in order to cause a stalemate is essentially trolling. You know that continuing to do so will attract further sanctions. And such sanctions will increase in severity.

As I see it you have three choices:
    i) carry on as you are until such time as you are permanently banned from the forum.
    ii) change your debate (I use the term loosely) style in such a way that it is not based on your assumptions about what other people believe (which would require you to take to board what people are saying to you) and/or stalemate.
    iii) convince the mods that telling other people what they believe is not soapboxing, and posting with the aim to stalemate discussions is not trolling.

You can waffle on about empiricism being a belief - and a belief that is shared by the majority of posters in this forum - that is your choice. My job is to tell you that you will be sanctioned if you do so.
    I have also outlined ways to get past this impasse - the choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Superior to what? And measured how?

Superior to anything. And measured in a way that doesn't rely on circular reasoning or belief.

Quite easily determined. I simply ask the question before proceeding along the lines already taken.

How long do you think it will take before I'm dealing with a bunch of self declared empiricists?

A can kicked not very far down the road.

The problem isn't my convincing anyone. The problem is the self declared empiricist demonstrating the superiority of their method. Since they won't, I suggest, be able to do that without:

- sidestepping with appeals to arguments from incredulity (pink unicorns)

- asking me do I not value empirical method (I do)

- pointing to squillions of theistic belief systems

...and all the rest of the deflecting tricks used to avoid the problem: you claim superiority, you show superiority else yours is just a belief claim.

Let's get past first base: non theists showing themselves other than mere believers. That would be progress indeed.

But they won't be able to do it. And you already know it.

Judging by the amount of quacking contained therein I am going to assume you have chosen option i) and we shall proceed accordingly.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of quacking contained therein I am going to assume you have chosen option i) and we shall proceed accordingly.

You don't seem to realise that I am not the only one making a claim. Very easy to sit there and throw rocks from the comfort of your assumptions. Nozz encapsulated that well: "the accumulated knowledge of mankind"* or some such. Time now for 'your side' to cough up regarding their claim.

I'm supposing them as unable as me to demonstrate their claim.

*where 'mankind' are people who globally share Nozz's worldview.

You don't seem to realise that I am not the only one making a claim. Very easy to sit there and throw rocks from the comfort of your assumptions. Nozz encapsulated that well: "the accumulated knowledge of mankind"* or some such. Time now for 'your side' to cough up regarding their claim.

I'm supposing them as unable as me to demonstrate their claim.

*where 'mankind' are people who globally share Nozz's worldview.

antiskeptic.
    You have been warned, you have been sanctioned time and time again for the same breaches of the charter. What other posters may or may not have done is besides the point. This is about your posts and yours alone.

You have been told why you are attracting mod attention.
    The mod position vis a vis the forum charter has been explained - you are considered to be soapboxing and trolling.
    Your options going forwards were outlined.

And here you are = persisting with the same old same old soapboxing utterly failing to take on board what is being said to you.

Mod warning bit:
    This thread is for feedback - not to rehash your single argument or deploy your circular tactics. If you persist in rehashing here in this thread you will be sanctioned. If you attempt to stalemate this thread you will be sanctioned.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    antiskeptic.
    You have been warned, you have been sanctioned time and time again for the same breaches of the charter. What other posters may or may not have done is besides the point. This is about your posts and yours alone.

You have been told why you are attracting mod attention.
    The mod position vis a vis the forum charter has been explained - you are considered to be soapboxing and trolling.
    Your options going forwards were outlined.

And here you are = persisting with the same old same old soapboxing utterly failing to take on board what is being said to you.

Mod warning bit:
    This thread is for feedback - not to rehash your single argument or deploy your circular tactics. If you persist in rehashing here in this thread you will be sanctioned. If you attempt to stalemate this thread you will be sanctioned.

I suppose your being even handed. The modding over at Christianity seeks to protect the believers there so that they can discuss their beliefs without constant interruption from those with contrary beliefs.

The level of 'argument' here, that still stretches unto invoking the Pink Unicorn, needs all the protection that can be mustered. I suppose your only doing your job. No hard feelings.

I'll get my coat..

I suppose your being even handed. The modding over at Christianity seeks to protect the believers there so that they can discuss their beliefs without constant interruption from those with contrary beliefs.

The level of 'argument' here, that still stretches unto invoking the Pink Unicorn, needs all the protection that can be mustered. I suppose your only doing your job. No hard feelings.

I'll get my coat..

A number of post from here relating to Is/Isn't Empiricism a belief have been moved to a new thread dedicated to that very topic.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058124841

Everyone is more than welcome to discuss it there.

Let's keep here for feedback.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    And here in A+A, the mods aim to allow discussion to continue peaceably, regardless of posters' beliefs or lack of them. In the case where one of the participants - you - has stated that his/her aim is to stifle discussion, your friendly mods, having discussed it amongst ourselves, have decided that the best approach is to restrict your posts to a single thread while allowing you to continue to attempt to stymie actual discussion by refusing to engage in any, or soapboxing, arguing around in circles, reductio ad absurdam, tail-chasing and all the other names for the one rhetorical pigs' bladder which you deploy.

In this way, the charter can be stretched a little at the edges to allow new forum visitors to continue to experience the full limitations of your religious thinking.

The thread concerned is the Big Bird thread and should you accidentally post elsewhere in the forum, we'll happily return your post(s) here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058124841

Enjoy!

There has been a wee breakdown in communication so for clarification: antiskeptic is free to post in other threads subject to abiding by the Charter and on the proviso s/he has not specifically been thread banned. However, should antiskeptic post on the theme of Empiricism (which has after all this time and all these warnings been deemed to be soapboxing) outside of the dedicated thread s/he will be sanctioned and the post will be deleted.

robindch wrote: »
    Mod:And here in A+A, the mods aim to allow discussion to continue peaceably, regardless of posters' beliefs or lack of them. In the case where one of the participants - you - has stated that his/her aim is to stifle discussion,

My aim was to stalemate an element of the discussion, namely to arrive at the point where both sides accept they are unable to demonstrate their belief system superior.

That opens up the next phase of discussion: encouraging your worldview to get off its high horse, for example.

If stalemate is a natural and inevitable point along the way, its not my fault that I drive towards it.

My aim was to stalemate an element of the discussion, namely to arrive at the point where both sides accept they are unable to demonstrate their belief system superior.

That opens up the next phase of discussion: encouraging your worldview to get off its high horse, for example.

If stalemate is a natural and inevitable point along the way, its not my fault that I drive towards it.

On the contrary.
    You aim was to stalemate discussion by falsely insisting other people hold a belief system and then arguing that point.
    You were attempting to frame an argument akin to insisting that a work of poetry is superior to a quill pen.

Now, you have a thread to make all your arguments. THIS is the FEEDBACK thread.
    We listened to what you had to say and have afforded you the opportunity to make your argument without fear of sanction for soapboxing.
    As far as the Mods are concerned a line can now be drawn under this particular issue.

Do you have another feedback issue you wish to raise?

Smacl takes me to task for advising another poster to perhaps brush up on his Christianity. Since the poster in question expressed a view on Christianity which is clearly problematic (folk trying to get to heaven by being good - something the Protestant side of Christianity would disagree with) it seems reasonable to advise as I did.

Not quite sure what the objection from mod is..

Smacl takes me to task for advising another poster to perhaps brush up on his Christianity. Since the poster in question expressed a view on Christianity which is clearly problematic (folk trying to get to heaven by being good - something the Protestant side of Christianity would disagree with) it seems reasonable to advise as I did.

Not quite sure what the objection from mod is..

The mod made it very clear what the objection is.

There is absolutely no onus on anyone in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum to 'brush up' on any religion, let alone one with as diverse and often contradictory a set of beliefs as contained within Christianity.

If you feel - as the Christian- that there is pertinent information which may bolster your arguments contained in which ever version of Christianity you profess then it is up to you to provide that information.

You seem to have difficulty in respecting other people's right to know nothing about your religion if that is what they wish, yet you wish to argue with people for whom your religion is as invalid as all the other religions you don't believe in their own forum.

You are the guest here and we are trying to be accommodating and allow you space to express your views. Do not mistake that accommodation for permission to make demands.

This latest card strikes me as somewhat trigger happy - similar to the eagerness to robindch showed in banning me for 'closing down the discussion' in my driving to the stalemate I felt inevitable. (Driving an element of the opponents position to stalemate doesn't, as it happens, close the discussion. Stalemate might cause the person to reflect on the superior position they've assumed up to that point. Discussion is then possible as to the new position they might assume. And things might never get to stalemate anyway - perhaps arrival at stalemate was robindchs fear)

But the trigger was just waiting to be pulled and he eagerly pulled it.

Here again. Peregrinus is a believer. Peregrinus, will, like me, have been told countless times that his faith is the product of his having been brainwashed by his parents.

In writing what I wrote I wasn't attacking Peregrinus, I was mocking the A&A trope which is deployed with yawning regularity here.

It is clear from the quality of that post of his that the charge of his having been brainwashed into his faith (a charge he stands in the dock for, what with his being a believer) is an utter nonsense.

The trope, a nonsense. That was my post.

-

For sure I've earned some of the cards I've received. What's life with threading over the line in response to posters who thread over the line at times.

But to suppose as unambiguous soapboxing my cumulative same-response to the same claims by multiple A&A posters (brainwashed by your parents, to think of one example)? It's the same lack of nuanced modding that sees you card me now, merely because you've missed the mark by a mile.

It is you who played the man and not the argument. Because you didn't see the rather obvious argument. Or the fact I'd thanked the post..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This latest card strikes me as somewhat trigger happy - similar to the eagerness to robindch showed in banning me for 'closing down the discussion' in my driving to the stalemate I felt inevitable. (Driving an element of the opponents position to stalemate doesn't, as it happens, close the discussion. Stalemate might cause the person to reflect on the superior position they've assumed up to that point. Discussion is then possible as to the new position they might assume. And things might never get to stalemate anyway - perhaps arrival at stalemate was robindchs fear)

But the trigger was just waiting to be pulled and he eagerly pulled it.

Here again. Peregrinus is a believer. Peregrinus, will, like me, have been told countless times that his faith is the product of his having been brainwashed by his parents.

In writing what I wrote I wasn't attacking Peregrinus, I was mocking the A&A trope which is deployed with yawning regularity here.

It is clear from the quality of that post of his that the charge of his having been brainwashed into his faith (a charge he stands in the dock for, what with his being a believer) is an utter nonsense.

The trope, a nonsense. That was my post.

-

For sure I've earned some of the cards I've received. What's life with threading over the line in response to posters who thread over the line at times.

But to suppose as unambiguous soapboxing my cumulative same-response to the same claims by multiple A&A posters (brainwashed by your parents, to think of one example)? It's the same lack of nuanced modding that sees you card me now, merely because you've missed the mark by a mile.

It is you who played the man and not the argument. Because you didn't see the rather obvious argument. Or the fact I'd thanked the post..

Mod warning: You are getting repeatedly carded because you are repeatedly breaking the forum charter, which as it happens is much looser than others I can think of. Read your own post again and then look at the very first point of the charter
    1. No personal insults. Attack the post not the poster. If you can't keep your head, take it elsewhere.

As ever, you are attacking the poster and not the post. As for Perigrinus and his posts, it is patently clear that he is more than able establish and defend his own arguments clearly and with respect for the other person's position. You might learn a thing or two from his approach. What he may or may not believe is entirely beside the point. I would humbly suggest what you stand back from your adversarial position if you are planning to continue posting here as you are doing yourself no favours.

smacl wrote: »
    Mod warning: You are getting repeatedly carded because you are repeatedly breaking the forum charter, which as it happens is much looser than others I can think of. Read your own post again and then look at the very first point of the charter

As ever, you are attacking the poster and not the post. As for Perigrinus and his posts, it is patently clear that he is more than able establish and defend his own arguments clearly and with respect for the other person's position. You might learn a thing or two from his approach. What he may or may not believe is entirely beside the point. I would humbly suggest what you stand back from your adversarial position if you are planning to continue posting here as you are doing yourself no favours.

Speaking of adversarial. You said nothing at all about the substance of post you've just modded. I wrote that post due to a miscarding by a mod.

If I hadn't been carded in error, then there would be no post here for YOU to leap onto - the second hair trigger pull in as many days by a mod

Let he who has not sinned..

As for robindch? He's been playing me, the man, for a number of years now. And me him. He snipes: scorn being his usual m.o. I snipe back, dismissiveness and belittlement being my m.o. Then robindch puts his mod hat on an bans me for seeking to stalemate a part of discussion.

(I doubt you can tell me why seeking stalemate is an illegitimate approach or how it breaks forum rules. robindch couldn't.)

And you know this, yet chose to jump in on a technicality. Have you considered I might be adversarial because I have adversaries?

Why did you not read the substance of the post you just modded. And, having read it, why did you not withdraw the 'thank' you gave the mod who miscarded me.

-

Perhaps Peregrinus is more Jesus-like than me. Perhaps Peregrinus steers clear of posters who pour out scorn. Perhaps Peregrinus would take a spurious ban from a mod, who patently dislikes him, lying down. Maybe good for Peregrinus, maybe not. At risk of drawing a false comparison: they don't tend to crucify the non-adversarial.

• Advertisement

Speaking of adversarial. You said nothing at all about the substance of post you've just modded. I wrote that post due to a miscarding by a mod.

If I hadn't been carded in error, then there would be no post here for YOU to leap onto - the second hair trigger pull in as many days by a mod

Let he who has not sinned..

You wrote the post about your perceived mis-carding by a mod. My response addressed this, in that you are getting repeatedly carded for continuing breach of the forum charter. Your last red card, suggesting another poster had been brainwashed, was yet another example of this. While you might have intended it as sarcasm or humour or more likely just taking a dig at the mods, this was not entirely apparent. The post was also just a one line dig that added no value to the discussion and hence constituted trolling.
    As for robindch? He's been playing me, the man, for a number of years now. And me him. He snipes: scorn being his usual m.o. I snipe back, dismissiveness and belittlement being my m.o. Then robindch puts his mod hat on an bans me for seeking to stalemate a part of discussion.

(I doubt you can tell me why seeking stalemate is an illegitimate approach or how it breaks forum rules. robindch couldn't.)

And here you go again, playing the man and not the ball. I note you've done similar over on the Christianity forum. Continuing this behaviour will attract sanctions of increasing severity followed by bans.
    And you know this, yet chose to jump in on a technicality. Have you considered I might be adversarial because I have adversaries?

Why did you not read the substance of the post you just modded. And, having read it, why did you not withdraw the 'thank' you gave the mod who miscarded me.

You seem to be taking this all rather too personally. As mods we're here to uphold the spirit and letter of the charter in such a way as to allow amicable civil conversations to take place, even where there are strongly opposing points of view. Each one of us is, or at least should be, more than just their point of view on a single topic. We don't have adversaries here, for any given poster we have adversarial points of view some topics and common points of view on others. If you disagree with someone on a given topic, you should be capable of amicably criticising their views on that topic without considering them 'your adversary' and attacking their person. If you can't do that, you really should consider not posting. If you find your world view runs contrary to every other poster's on the forum, you have already discussed this POV at length while failing to find any common ground, and you are intransigent in your position, perhaps you should ask yourself if this is the right forum for you.

While this forum is accepting of proselyting arguments, those arguments will be considered tired and mildly disrespectful by many long term posters here and as such are likely to attract a degree of derision. This does not excuse any response that includes personal attack or trolling, either from you or anyone else.

Perhaps Peregrinus is more Jesus-like than me. Perhaps Peregrinus steers clear of posters who pour out scorn. Perhaps Peregrinus would take a spurious ban from a mod, who patently dislikes him, lying down. Maybe good for Peregrinus, maybe not. At risk of drawing a false comparison: they don't tend to crucify the non-adversarial.

Or perhaps he simply focuses on the argument in hand, where he gains ground when finding flaw in a counterargument and graciously concedes it where the reverse is true. This makes for entertaining discussion where argument and understanding can be progressed and both sides can take something away from the conversation. Personally, I get satisfaction out of having to question my own assumptions and revise them where I get things wrong, which is as often as not. I want to enjoy the discussion and by times learn from it which is why I post on forums such as this. Experience has shown me this is much more likely to be the case when engaging with reasonable people who have a different world view from my own.

With respect, I think many of your own posts on this forum display an intransigence and repetitiveness that tend to hamstring the debate and make it rather tedious for all concerned.

Excuse the direct question, but what precisely motivates you to post here?

smacl wrote: »
    You wrote the post about your perceived mis-carding by a mod

Perceived? Brainwashed by parents is an A&A trope. No mispercieving there. I thank what is a well written post that demonstrates a believer who has thought deeply about why he holds as he does.

The dig is at the trope, not the mods and certainly not the poster.

My response addressed this, in that you are getting repeatedly carded for continuing breach of the forum charter. Your last red card, suggesting another poster had been brainwashed, was yet another example of this. While you might have intended it as sarcasm or humour or more likely just taking a dig at the mods, this was not entirely apparent. The post was also just a one line dig that added no value to the discussion and hence constituted trolling.

Trolling? You want I start reporting one line posts that add nothing to the discussion and constitute digs? Really?

By that I don't mean you respond with somr mod speak but consider what would occur were you to follow your approach. When an A&A poster hops in with a brainwashing statement, for example.

And here you go again, playing the man and not the ball. I note you've done similar over on the Christianity forum. Continuing this behaviour will attract sanctions of increasing severity followed by bans.

Fair enougj, reporting posters to follow..

You seem to be taking this all rather too personally. As mods we're here to uphold the spirit and letter of the charter in such a way as to allow amicable civil conversations to take place, even where there are strongly opposing points of view. Each one of us is, or at least should be, more than just their point of view on a single topic. We don't have adversaries here, for any given poster we have adversarial points of view some topics and common points of view on others. If you disagree with someone on a given topic, you should be capable of amicably criticising their views on that topic without considering them 'your adversary' and attacking their person. If you can't do that, you really should consider not posting. If you find your world view runs contrary to every other poster's on the forum, you have already discussed this POV at length while failing to find any common ground, and you are intransigent in your position, perhaps you should ask yourself if this is the right forum for you.

While this forum is accepting of proselyting arguments, those arguments will be considered tired and mildly disrespectful by many long term posters here and as such are likely to attract a degree of derision. This does not excuse any response that includes personal attack or trolling, either from you or anyone else.

When an A&A mod (you as it happens) takes it upon themselves to parlay an already suspect device (everything I say in A&A is shuttled to a prison thread in A&A) over the Christianity and infract me there on the basis that I cannot repeat anything I say in A&A anywhere you might operate across boards.ie.....

Forgive if I find your protestations of even handed for-the-good-of-the-forum a somewhat. Whatever about the deserved cardings, there's a sense that this is very personally directed, with certain mods tripping over themselves to infract. The pretext might be ad hom, trolling, soapboxing but the subtext is firing squad.

If you believe you have been miscarded you are free to take it to DRP and argue it there.
    As the mod who has had cause to card you three times in rapid succession in the same thread you could have PM'd me to discuss the card and your belief you were miscarded to seek an amicable resolution prior to launching a lengthy 'defense' in Feedback - you did neither of those things.

Those facts speak volumes. Currently it appears you are not interested in resolution, you are playing an entirely different game one in which you think the mods are a) fools b)do not communicate c) do not agree d) you can run procedural rings around us.

Let's look at the 3 cards I issued during your latest tilt at the windmills of A&A - which btw is an increase on the number of cards I previously issued to you by 150% and makes you the poster most sanctioned by me since I became a mod.
    My so-called heavy hand seems rather light when the evidence is examined empirically and forensically. I shall endeavour to do better in future to live up to my reputation.

So, in a thread created for you to expound a theory where you would not face risk of being sanctioned but the rest of the rules as per Charter & general Boards.ie wide apply (which was made clear) you decided to indulge in a spot of Backseat Moderation and were duly carded, a mod note was posted.

You then compounded the situation by responding to that mod note in-thread to 'apologise' and state you have changed the offending section. This led to another yellow as replying to a mod instruction in-thread is a boards wide no-no and not confined to A&A, you know this. But perhaps you forgot so in the mod post you quoted the very last line was a reminder. My 'heavy hand' gave you a yellow even though the rule of thumb is to escalate so technically I should have given you a red card. I'll let you into a secret. I suspected you would soon be back seeking further sanctions.

Which brings us to your alleged 'miscarding' - given that you apologised for the 1st yellow and really there is no defense for the 2nd I assume this 'miscard' is the red you got for 'playing the man'.

A one line post where you comment that another poster was 'brainwashed'.

Your defense appears to be :

i) Atheist posters in A&A think religious people are brainwashed. They have said so in the past in general terms.

ii) Another mod was waiting for me in the long grass to do a different thing and when I did they sanctioned me.

iii)The man I played is also religious so is like me therefore I cannot insult them as we have shared life experiences.

iv) Atheist posters break the rules sometimes.

v) Atheist posters have said mean things but rather than report them I am doing likewise.

vi)The mods are enforcing the rules against me too stringently, sure we all stray sometimes.

Let's deal with these point by point:

i) Any poster who specifically states another poster has been brainwashed will be sanctioned. Indeed any such personal comments will be sanctioned - please report any such comments to the mods as we may not have seen them.
    Stating a 'group' in general terms has been brainwashed is not 'playing the man'.

ii) "A mod was waiting for me to do a thing I had been warned to stop doing and then sanctioned me when I did it again" is not the stunning defense you seem to think it is. If a mod had warned you to stop doing a thing then either stop doing the thing, discuss the thing with the mod via pm, discuss it here and wait for a clarification, take the time for doing the crime.

iii) You can't seriously expect that one to fly. A personal comment is a personal comment. There is no 'nuance' - and even if in your mind there was we are not mind readers so can only go on what you have posted. Next time you are attempting an 'insult as an in-joke' type post may I suggest the use of a visual aid such as one of the emojis to be found on the right - ":pac:" or ";)" or ":D" or even ":cool:" would aid in identifying the presence of contextual nuance.

iv) Indeed they do. And when this is brought to the attention of the mods they are sanctioned. If we only sanctioned theists there would be no need for 3 mods in this forum. I know that I can hardly take the dogs for a walk without getting a notification of dodgy dooings on this forum we are that busy.

v) Billy Bob was bold and I told no one but a month later I was bold too and got given out to and that's not fair. Again, not exactly a stunning defence. What other posters do/sanctioning of other posters is not a mitigating circumstance. You, alone, are responsible for your own actions and increasingly poor record.

vi) Nope. In fact I left you off with a yellow when I should technically have given you a red for a cut and dried infraction of a site wide rule. The mods created a thread where you would get special treatment. If anything it is the atheist posters who should be complaining that we are being more stringent with them - but they aren't.
    Most posters here do not get as much mod attention, this is true. But I put it to you that this is because they don't have the same impulse to continually throw themselves in front of the mod train so tend to not attract as much scrutiny.

When an A&A mod (you as it happens) takes it upon themselves to parlay an already suspect device (everything I say in A&A is shuttled to a prison thread in A&A) over the Christianity and infract me there on the basis that I cannot repeat anything I say in A&A anywhere you might operate across boards.ie.....

Except for the simple fact that what you are saying is not true. The post you are referring to is here and the reason you were infracted was being intentionally inflammatory in breach of the local charter. You've already raised this as a DRP and subsequently dropped it.

Mod: Going forward, I would ask you to limit your conversations about your infractions in the Christianity forum to the feedback thread in that forum. This thread is for feedback in this forum only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

As for robindch? He's been playing me, the man, for a number of years now.
    Not in the slightest. I have been playing with your ideas - specifically, applying your own bad logic to your own bad arguments - with predictable results.
    And me him.
    Not a good idea to admit that you've been playing a moderator - it's not the kind of admission which will win you an extra life in any forum
    Have you considered I might be adversarial because I have adversaries?
    I wouldn't overegg your omlette - Don Quixote also had powerful, lethal enemies who'd stop at nothing to discredit the bravest knight in all La Mancha. Unfortunately, they were windmills.

robindch wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. I have been playing with your ideas - specifically, applying your own bad logic to your own bad arguments - with predictable results.

You've being playing with English: mangling it your attempt to stuff sentences with as much sarcasm and dismissiveness as you can.

You rarely actually make any actual points.

Not a good idea to admit that you've been playing a moderator - it's not the kind of admission which will win you an extra life in any forum

Not a good idea to admit an inability to separate your personal and work life.

I've played you in the manner you played me. I could care less whether you've a mod hat on or not. It's a discussion forum robindch, not life and death.

Antiskeptic banned for three days for continuing to play the man instead of the ball despite repeatedly being reminded not to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I could care less whether you've a mod hat on or not. .

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
    But this has been bothering me so much

The line is "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less"

The above actually suggests antiskeptic actually cares that robindch is a mod....if even to a small level of caring. David Mitchell explains in the video below :)

https://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw?t=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

How does it feel to have gotten that off your chest over a month later? :)

I took to saying "I could care more" for awhile just to bother some Americans I knew for awhile. It had the opposite effect. They went back to America having adopted saying it as a preference too. I think they thought it was what us Irish say over here.

Advertisement