Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

September1 wrote: »
    I got hopelessly stuck in mud and I wish it was possible to turn off creep - I think this is first time I have ever missed having clutch. I had to call for help and even though I had assistance from VW and my insurer, both of them declined help.

There's people asking VW to allow us turn off the traction control for winter driving so they don't get stuck on the first movers facebook.
    I really hope they allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I got hopelessly stuck in mud and I wish it was possible to turn off creep - I think this is first time I have ever missed having clutch. I had to call for help and even though I had assistance from VW and my insurer, both of them declined help.

Yikes, hope you got unstuck in the end!

Would switching auto hold on have helped? You swipe down from the top of the screen and there's a button for it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Didnt do a Cork-Dublin run in an EV for a few years now. Last time was in the 24kWh Leaf in 2016 when accessing chargers wasnt an issue!

Conditions
    Outside Temp - 7-9°C
    HVAC - On, set to 20°C and cabin pre-heated before I left.
    Weather - Misty with a 4m/s NW head wind on the way up. Alot of surface water in parts on the way home.
    Speed - 123km/h (Dash readout)
    ACC all the way.

Got all the way to Ionity Kill North with 14% (45km) left on the clock so I could technically have made it all the way to Dublin city centre without stopping at all. Thats a solid ~260km range in winter at full motorway speed.

Considering the speed and conditions I think thats a good result. Meets my requirements anyway of only wishing to do a 15-20min stop on each leg of the journey as I would be stopping anyway.

The consumption figure on the way up was showing as 21.9kWh/100km after 200km. Average speed 116km/h

Coming home was a tad more difficult as I had no destination charging so had to stop at Ionity Kill South. I wasnt willing to stop there for a full charge as that would take too long so plugged out at 65%(20mins) and arrived at Ionity Cashel with 10% left and then a quick topup there to get me home. I needed 30%(total) to get home so <10mins would have done it but it was upto 67% before I knew it as I got talking to someone. It was pulling 100kW when I plugged in and averaged 82kW for the 24mins! Ionity ftw!

Consumption figure on the way home was 21.1kWh/100km. Again, a solid 260km range there at motorway speed in relatively poor winter conditions.

Destination charging would have made a big difference to the trip home as starting out with 100% is a big difference to relying on rapids to get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Funny thing happened today. (I had read about it before but wasn't expecting it)

I was manoeuvring the car in reverse into a tricky spot with obstacles all around and by force of habit swung around in the seat so I could see all around me. Took off my seat belt first, then as my weight came off the seat while reversing slowly, the handbrake suddenly locked on:). Obviously the car thought I was getting out and applied the automatic handbrake..

It will not happen apparently if moving faster, but something to be aware of, as can give you a bit of a fright..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Hi, planning on driving to Cork tomorrow. I haven't used the we charge card yet for any of the chargers and was wondering if i have to do anything before i use it. Thanks for any help

• Advertisement

Hi, planning on driving to Cork tomorrow. I haven't used the we charge card yet for any of the chargers and was wondering if i have to do anything before i use it. Thanks for any help

Did you or the dealer activate the card? That has to be done before it will do anything for you.

If it was activated it should be good to go. Just rock up to the Ionity charger and tap it.

KCross wrote: »
    Did you or the dealer activate the card? That has to be done before it will do anything for you.

If it was activated it should be good to go. Just rock up to the Ionity charger and tap it.

Hi, the dealer just handed it to me with that box of socks etc 🀣.maybe i should ring them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi, the delay just handed it to me with that box of socks etc 🀣.maybe i should ring them tomorrow

Download the We Connect app and go to the profile tab. Click We Charge then charging cards. There should be an option there to register your one that came in the box.

Hi, the delay just handed it to me with that box of socks etc &#55356;&#56355;.maybe i should ring them tomorrow

Lazy f******.

You definitely need to go through the registration and activation process. The card wont do anything until you successfully complete that... as TitiamGerm has described.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volkswagen.weconnect

This one. Put in the card number to register in the App, then select the We Charge Plus option with the 2000kwh included. You have to put in credit card details but it doesn't take any money. It's only for plans with a fee for charging. Then you'll be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Also, for maximum charging speeds you need to arrive with a low state of charge. (Ideally less than 10%).
    Check out @Battery Life on YouTube for charging information videos and charging curves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I would download an eCars app as well, I had problems with we charge card on ionity and had to use esb chargers a few times. Plus they help you to run down the battery. Also check my post above about my return trip to cork via Dublin.

I would download an eCars app as well, I had problems with we charge card on ionity and had to use esb chargers a few times. Plus they help you to run down the battery. Also check my post above about my return trip to cork via Dublin.

Is the eCars app "eCars Connect" or "EV Plug In" ? Both are by the same developer and have ESB on the icon.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is the eCars app "eCars Connect" or "EV Plug In" ? Both are by the same developer and have ESB on the icon.

eCars connect

Hi, i changed the profile on volkswagen to Ireland for the address and went to register and the we charge doesn't work now. Any tips. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Anyone know how to resynchronize the keyless entry keys. I drove this morning no issues then returned to car and neither of the 2 keys work by approaching car or by pressing any of the buttons . I can get to the car via the sensor on the door handle and the internal key but it won't sync. Can't get into the boot now.. have tried;

Putting into cup holder
    Quickly pressing the unlock buttons

Thanks!

Anyone know how to resynchronize the keyless entry keys. I drove this morning no issues then returned to car and neither of the 2 keys work by approaching car or by pressing any of the buttons . I can get to the car via the sensor on the door handle and the internal key but it won't sync. Can't get into the boot now.. have tried;

Putting into cup holder
    Quickly pressing the unlock buttons

Thanks!

Mine desynced on Monday. Left the key in the cup holder overnight and it worked again yesterday evening when I took it out.

+1, never rely on only 1 charging provider, they're unreliable enough at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mine desynced on Monday. Left the key in the cup holder overnight and it worked again yesterday evening when I took it out.

So I managed to get home and do a bit more fiddling (in the rain) - the car *DOES* recognise my key - i can walk up with it and pull the door & it opens.. I can also lock by pressing the sensor button on the driver-side door handle. Its the 3 buttons on the remote that aren't working.. nothing i've tried from the Manual seems to be working.. Not the end of the world as can still drive the car but its very annoying..

Lol the Ionity chargers interface worked but then didn't have any power to charge my car in Gorey and then the ecar chargers next to them also didn't work as i didn't have the bloody card yet posted to me so I could put in the numbers 🀣🀣🀣🀣
    Got home with 40 km left. From Cork to Greystones with no Charging on the coast road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Lol the Ionity chargers interface worked but then didn't have any power to charge my car in Gorey and then the ecar chargers next to them also didn't work as i didn't have the bloody card yet posted to me so I could put in the numbers &#55356;&#56355;&#55356;&#56355;&#55356;&#56355;&#55356;&#56355;
    Got home with 40 km left. From Cork to Greystones with no Charging on the coast road

What was the distance, about 270km? That was good considering you had 40km left.
    What was wrong with the Ionity?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lol the Ionity chargers interface worked but then didn't have any power to charge my car in Gorey and then the ecar chargers next to them also didn't work as i didn't have the bloody card yet posted to me so I could put in the numbers 🀣🀣🀣🀣

You can just use the app for ecars

Cyrus wrote: »
    You can just use the app for ecars

I tired to use but i didn't receive my card before i left and didn't have the number to activate.
    Nice drive up and down. Some difference in road noise against a normal car

eagerv wrote: »
    What was the distance, about 270km? That was good considering you had 40km left.
    What was wrong with the Ionity?

Nothing went wrong with using the wecharge card, it just didn't start and said it was waiting for power. Tried it a few times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can phone eCars and just use your cr card if not signed up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I was using car on two cold days to travel on rural roads with avg speed of 48kmh and it took 78km to use 40% of battery. It seems that if you use a car multiple times per day then heat pump is a must for ID.3 - implied range being 195 km which might be not much better than Ioniq 28 in similar conditions.

... It seems that if you use a car multiple times per day then heat pump is a must for ID.3 - ....

Or pre-heat the cabin while plugged in, especially that first trip in the morning.

HP would be great but its not €1200+ great! :)

Or pre-heat the cabin while plugged in, especially that first trip in the morning.

In fastlane models the HP is €1388

I was using car on two cold days to travel on rural roads with avg speed of 48kmh and it took 78km to use 40% of battery. It seems that if you use a car multiple times per day then heat pump is a must for ID.3 - implied range being 195 km which might be not much better than Ioniq 28 in similar conditions.

Yeah if I remember correctly the battery heater runs every time the car switches on when the temperature is below 8C, so that'll eat up your range pretty quickly

Preheating while plugged in will help a lot, unfortunately there's a software issue that the battery heater won't run when plugged in so it won't help much there. Hopefully the big update next year will fix that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Certainly not the €1500 great that it costs.

Anyway, heat pump would be of no benefit on a short run unless the cabin was pre heated, as the PTC heater would be used to heat the cabin from the start. The heat pump doesn't provide enough heat to heat up from cold, it shines when the car is warm and it just has to keep it that way. A long run is perfect for the heat pump, but it's still hard to justify €1500 for it. That buys a lot of kWh.

The biggest problem with the ID.3 seems to be the battery heater. If you're doing multiple short trips the battery heater could be running constantly, and that is a heavy draw.

Advertisement