Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mandalorian

Options

Comments

Is that not a spin-off show of its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Acosta wrote: »
    It's one of my Christmas movies, so I'll be watching it soon.

Overall I loved season 2. The best star wars has been since 1983. Probably could have done without the digital jedi at the end. It slightly took me out of what was happening, but just a minor complaint.

And I did not get emotional at the very end, YOU DID!

Yeh, the thing with the
    luke moment
    was that this was the icing on the cake but like
    Vader’s end scene in rogue one
    it didn’t define the story, it was a nice compliment for me anyway. I was more invested in
    Mando saying goodbye to Grogu
    but it was nice that he was giving him to
    Luke
    and not some randomer.

Fair play to all involved for keeping the secret, serious cudos. Glad I watched it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is that not a spin-off show of its own?
    It said December 2021 which is when season 3 starts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ShaneU wrote: »
    It said December 2021 which is when season 3 starts

That’s a
    spin off
    seperate to Mando

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

After credits scene would suggest the next series is based around
    Boba Fett and the Grogu story is over

You should watch the credits...it actually tells you something ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Drumpot wrote: »
    Damn you, I’m going to have to watch Rogue one again now.:p
    It's one of my Christmas movies, so I'll be watching it soon.

Fantastic Plan! I'm gonna do it!
    And I did not get emotional at the very end, YOU DID!

Who're you callin motional... you're face is motional! *cries in motional*
    ah jeez.. they must be draftin in the R1 and Pixar crews or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,092 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After credits scene would suggest the next series is based around
    Boba Fett and the Grogu story is over

I think there is both happening in Dec 2021.

A boba Fett series AND The Mandalorian series 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think there is both happening in Dec 2021.

A boba Fett series AND The Mandalorian series 3

It might make sense to film them at the same time. There would definitely be some overlap in cast and sets. It could save money and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was dragged out and boring as well as silly in parts. A laser gun getting jammed lol. I thought the end could have been done so much better. Mandos armourvwas looking dull in this and I knew as soon as he let the dark Troopers out to space that they would be back.
    Anyway not the best episode could have been much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don’t think you’re alone in thinking the robots would come back, it was supposed to be obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If Luke is going to train him, does that mean kylo ren is going to kill him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ted1 wrote: »

That's really the big question. Did Grogu get out or was he somewhere else when Kylo went crazy.

It could be Disney planning for down the line and later stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I am so disappointed by that ending. What made the show really interesting to me was that it depicted the galaxy as this lived in, and living, world beyond the stuff from the main movies, and they didn't get too hung up on fan service. It was nice to know they could finally do a story that would stand on its own, not inevitably have to be part of the main storyline.

When boba fett showed up I forgave it because it made some sense in the context and it was done pretty well all in all. Then the ending of the last episode happened and I couldn't decide between rolling my eyes at how awful an idea it was, and laughing at how distracting the crappy cgi was on his face. Looked like a ken doll.

The post credit sequence was even worse fan service. They just couldn't help themselves, star wars just has to go down that road every time it seems. Not sure who to blame. Anyway a great series, and a really great season, but totally undermined by that codswallop ending reminding us once again that, if there really is a bigger world to explore here, the people at Disney have no interest in exploring it really. Sooner or later they'll get back to cannibalizing the original trilogy. This is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Luke showing up makes a hell of a lot more sense than Boba Fett making an appearance. Fett died and was the subject of necromancy because some fans bitched about it for 30 odd years. Now THAT'S bullshit fan service.

Whereas the Mandalorian had been tasked with bringing baby Yoda to a Jedi. That Jedi being Luke was the only thing that held any kind of logic.

How it was brought to the screen is another thing entirely.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Luke showing up makes a hell of a lot more sense than Boba Fett making an appearance. Fett died and was the subject of necromancy because some fans bitched about it for 30 odd years. Now THAT'S bullshit fan service.

Whereas the Mandalorian had been tasked with bringing baby Yoda to a Jedi. That Jedi being Luke was the only thing that held any kind of logic.

How it was brought to the screen is another thing entirely.
    Fair point about fett. But it was so cool to finally have a story that doesn't revolve around the feckin skywalkers. But they decided that wasn't possible.

Cgi versions of beloved characters failed horribly in rogue one, this was even worse than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ted1 wrote: »

Ben Solo is only just born at this point in Grogus story. Plenty of time for Luke to train him up and something else to happen before Luke starts doing any training with Ben, or for Ben to even remember the mini green goblin ever existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Wow .... that was something else!!

I suspected it might be
    Luke as soon as Ashoka said that if he communicates with a Jedi from that temple he may come and find him ... for a horrible moment I thought it might be Leia that rescued him ...

And as for
    Bobba Fet, did we know he was alive from another book or series, or is this the first time he's showed up in the Star Wars universe since ep VI ?

Overall a great season, my favourite episode is probably The Jedi

Michael Biehn !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This season has been great, but it still suffers from being too safe I feel. There's no real threat to any of the characters. I hope that's something that will change in the future, for this show and the new ones.

Michael Biehn !!!

This is the way!
    And as for
    Bobba Fet, did we know he was alive from another book or series, or is this the first time he's showed up in the Star Wars universe since ep VI ?
    Not since the events but has appearred in clone wars. Details on wiki: here

• Advertisement

This season has been great, but it still suffers from being too safe I feel. There's no real threat to any of the characters. I hope that's something that will change in the future, for this show and the new ones.

Yeah I think the fight between Mando and the dark trooper was the first time there seemed to be much at stake in a fight involving him, normally he seems, in effect, invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Blame the fanboys for that nonsense.
    Look at Bobba Fetta... a miniscule character that got killed off and brought back because a huge portion of fans locked onto this character for some reason.
    Disney are probably just playing it safe now, pissing off nobody while they work on expanding the other shows to tie in with it.
    Personally I think they should scrap the last 3 movies, pretend they never existed and work on Rogue One related shows or else a show on Darth Bane..damn I'd love that.
    I'm not a star wars fan at all but I absolutely loved those audiobooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Darth Bane would be great, the books on him from the EU were amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah I think the fight between Mando and the dark trooper was the first time there seemed to be much at stake in a fight involving him, normally he seems, in effect, invincible.

Agree, tho that one seemed a bit ludicrous. No one is getting punched in the head like that without consequences, don't care how good the padding in your helmet is.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Agree, tho that one seemed a bit ludicrous. No one is getting punched in the head like that without consequences, don't care how good the padding in your helmet is.

But it's Beskar!!
    ;)

The dark troopers were amazing, they really designed them well to look indestructible and menacing, not since Terminator 2 was I watching thinking how the f*ck are they gonna defeat these things ?

Then
    Luke's saber cut through them fairly handy, it looked a bit too easy the way they were hyped up to be so strong ...

But it's Beskar!!
    ;)

The dark troopers were amazing, they really designed them well to look indestructible and menacing, not since Terminator 2 was I watching thinking how the f*ck are they gonna defeat these things ?

Then
    Luke's saber cut through them fairly handy, it looked a bit too easy the way they were hyped up to be so strong ...

Very much agree with the spoiler part here, pretty much reduces them to the level of the prequel droids after all the hype. Also makes one wonder: so when Mando faces a Jedi it's a very even fight. Then Mando faces a dark trooper and it's a fairly even fight. Then a Jedi faces a platoon of dark troopers and cuts them up line a habachi chef. I dunno, stuff like that sucks the tension out of the show for me.

Also while I think the show was great and the characters and world were really well realised, a lot of the battle scenes were a bit dull and humorless and predictable. The end of the last episode where all the women are bursting through to get to the bridge or whatever is a bit monotonous. Makes you long for a bit of han solo bravado and smart alecky dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Its the same as practically any robot in Star Wars....all with the exception of K2-S0 are there purely for humour and are just annoying.
    K2 was funny but he was also lethal as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

that sucks the tension out of the show for me.

There's ZERO tension in the show. Four people can cut through a garrison of Stormtroopers without even getting out of breath. Every week there's a firefight of some sorts and the heroes don't care. They just kill everyone in sight.

So, the audience doesn't care either.

While 'The Mandalorian' has been good as a sugary rush of Star Wars, it's been a fairly passive ride. The viewer goes from episode to episode without really giving a crap what happens, because we all know nothing is going occur that will upset the apple cart too much.

So far the casualty list for the "good guys" has been Nick Nolte and a robot. Everyone else gets away without a scratch. While entire legions of Imperial troops have been swept away like it was no bother. That kind of silly nonsense gets really tiresome after a while.

Honestly, I like to see a more sophisticated approach, where the outnumbered heroes use stealth and sneak around the show's antagonists more, instead of everything being a game of "space pews pews" all the time.

At least that, in itself, would generate some tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Very much agree with the spoiler part here, pretty much reduces them to the level of the after all the hype. Also makes one wonder: so when Mando faces a Jedi it's a very even fight. Then Mando faces a dark trooper and it's a fairly even fight. Then a Jedi faces a platoon of dark troopers and cuts them up line a habachi chef. I dunno, stuff like that sucks the tension out of the show for me.

Also while I think the show was great and the characters and world were really well realised, a lot of the battle scenes were a bit dull and humorless and predictable. The end of the last episode where all the women are bursting through to get to the bridge or whatever is a bit monotonous. Makes you long for a bit of han solo bravado and smart alecky dialogue.

Wouldn't have called it an even fight for Mando vs Jedi as it ended so quickly.

You'd the magna droid in the prequels that were designed to fight jedi, they put up an alright fight against them but were mostly designed to be fast and have some redundancy for a bit of dismembering with a lightsabre resistant pike. The Dark troopers were relatively slow, and their strengths and defences were much against a lightsabre.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's ZERO tension in the show. Four people can cut through a garrison of Stormtroopers without even getting out of breath. Every week there's a firefight of some sorts and the heroes don't care.

Pretty sure the empire bought their munitions from the same dodgy trader that was used by the A-Team.

Advertisement