Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I tried ordering off them last week, was told the prices on their FTTH package advertised on the website, with phone was wrong and that the price on the web wasn't available. The lady said she'd let the web team know to update it without delay and it's still showing those prices. I was looking forward to giving Digiweb a shot because I always see good feedback about them but this didn't give me much confidence. Hopefully you've better luck.
    I was told on the phone today 500mb is 65 including phone and 1gb is 75 including phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I was told on the phone today 500mb is 65 including phone and 1gb is 75 including phone

I was told the same.

Currently paying €30 a month to Three. Almost double the price, they're taking the piss :mad:

j/k lol who wouldn't pay that? Bargain.

mp3guy wrote: »
    I was told the same.

Currently paying €30 a month to Three. Almost double the price, they're taking the piss :mad:

j/k lol who wouldn't pay that? Bargain.
    I'm with 3 too and have phone with Sky (which is 30) so it's only 5 extra for 50 times faster broadband!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The Cush wrote: »
    A question on the Cork-Mahon PoH, this isn't included in the original NBP contract's list of 227 OLT locations.

Is this an additional OLT location i.e. No. 228? A max of 230 are allowed per the NBP contract

Looking at the list of OLT locations in the contract, by Deployment Area Unique Number Identifier, Cootehill is 35, Donabate/Portrane is 37, 36 is blank. All the other enet OLT locations 1-81 are listed alphabetically except for 36. Cork- Mahon at 36 would continue this sequence.

You're correct. Cork-Mahon seems to be deployment area 36. I'm not sure why this was not included in the contract list. There are a lot of premises around the urban Cork area that should have greater than 30Mb/s from other operators but do not so perhaps NBI felt they needed an extra OLT to cover these.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Pre-orders could be available up to 90 days before the service is live so people should be aware of this when making such an order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBAiii wrote: »
    The first sixteen retail ISPs to join the NBI network have been listed on the NBI site. The network is apparently launching "over the coming weeks". Notably, eir is included.

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

Mayo Fibre & Atlantek Computers
    Fibre 500
    - 500Mb/s Maximum Download Speed
    - Expected Download Speed 490 - 500Mb/s, Upload Speed 490 - 500Mb/s

Fibre 1000
    - 1,000Mb/s Maximum Download Speed
    - Expected Download Speed 990 – 1,000Mb/s, Upload Speed 990 – 1,000Mb /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Mayo Fibre & Atlantek Computers

A symmetric connection....they must have that wrong! Looked at their website just to confirm and they are saying that all right but I didn't think NBI had symmetric connections

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Fibre 500
    - 500Mb/s Maximum Download Speed
    - Expected Download Speed 490 - 500Mb/s, Upload Speed 490 - 500Mb/s

Fibre 1000
    - 1,000Mb/s Maximum Download Speed
    - Expected Download Speed 990 – 1,000Mb/s, Upload Speed 990 – 1,000Mb /ss

That must be a typo, can't believe that they will symmetric speeds for download and upload??

TheSegal wrote: »
    That must be a typo, can't believe that they will symmetric speeds for download and upload??

Typo alright, the upload speeds in their documentation are 50/100 Mbps IIRC.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    ...I didn't think NBI had symmetric connections

They will, but they won't be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0115/1189819-remote-work-strategy/
    Mr Varadkar said there is a "political will and the money" to speed up the rollout of the National Broadband Plan.

He said the Government would like to speed up the connection of about 100,000 homes, farms and businesses across rural Ireland to high-speed broadband, if it is possible to do so.

DO IT.

I see Sky seem to have an NBI site that's showing up on Google

Sky Broadband with NBI - Sky.com
    www.sky.com/ireland/nbi

They're accepting pre-registration/expression of interest

I see Sky seem to have an NBI site that's showing up on Google

Sky Broadband with NBI - Sky.com
    www.sky.com/ireland/nbi

They're accepting pre-registration/expression of interest

The "Who can I buy from?" section of the NBI website was updated with onboard retailers earlier this week including Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. These signs have been put up around the area in the last few days :-)

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. These signs have been put up around the area in the last few days :-)

Those signs have gone up around me in Galway. I contacted ISPs about when I'll get able to connect but they said it'll be March before connections are ready going from data NBI provided them with, teasing me with the early signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Kieran O'Donnell's idea of 'gap area' prioritisation gets refused, but the Minister supports connection dates that are more specific.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2021-01-14a.257#g261

Kieran O'Donnell (Limerick City, Fine Gael)
    I ask the Minister to deal with the specific questions. Would the Minister support Eir and NBI coming together to expedite the roll-out of fibre broadband in the amber areas that are alongside blue areas where Eir has already rolled out broadband? People are looking over the ditch to their neighbours who have broadband and they do not, and they could be waiting two or three years.
    Can the roll-out of broadband be expedited from seven years to five years? The Minister spoke about people working from home during the Covid pandemic. They need state-of-the-art fibre broadband to be able to work and communicate worldwide.
    National Broadband Ireland has committed to provide a facility whereby people can key in their Eircode postcode and be told when they will get their broadband connection. At the moment they know that in general terms but not the specifics.
    Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party)
    I agree completely with Deputy O'Donnell about co-ordinating in neighbouring areas. Obviously, we would like to see the commercial operators being able to ensure that every single house in the State is covered. There may be efficiencies in dovetailing. That is a commercial matter for Eir or the other commercial operators, such as SIRO, Virgin Media and others. I confirm that I would like to see that being co-ordinated but it is a commercial decision for the companies involved.
    It is in everyone's interest, including that of NBI, for the roll-out to be accelerated and we will push that to the maximum extent we can. The Covid pandemic is affecting delivery as it is affecting every business with people out of work owing to being close contacts or for other reasons. A lag of several months occurred last year when contractors were not able to come in through the UK. That is probably the biggest restriction to an immediate acceleration. On the other side, the need for broadband as an essential service will help the acceleration. I agree with the Deputy that it is akin in importance to the rural electrification programme. Because of the clear need for it now, in part because of the Covid pandemic, I believe the commercial viability of the operation is significantly enhanced. There will be much greater uptake than otherwise would have been the case. I believe that can be a key driver in development.
    It is critical that my Department does whatever it can.
    Local government also has a role in the next phase, which will see a move from surveying to building out and putting poles in place for the delivery of the service. That role will include being supportive of planning permission for those poles and helping with their deployment, as well as the opening of ducting, where necessary, to allow the acceleration of the process. We in government will work with local authorities to do everything we can to help in this roll-out. It is not going to move as fast as we would have liked because of Covid-19 but I am confident that once we move out of these immediate difficulties we will see rapid acceleration in this process.
    The Deputy's proposal regarding the website seems eminently sensible. It would give customers a quick and easy way of assessing what the timeline is for their areas. I will pass on that suggestion, via the Department, to the company, and I think it would be a good way of using our Eircode system to give greater certainty in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

So, I'm at least 400m to the nearest telephone pole (I'm between 2 exchanges and Eir declined to provide a landline, offered 28kbps wireless!). I guess this will cost a bit to put in the necessary poles to bring fibre to my property. We paid the standard connection charge of around €1800 to ESB, they ran in 11 or 12 poles over 600m to us. I would happily pay a bit for the fibre, within reason - but I doubt any service provider is going to pay excess costs.

In the Deployment Schedule I have found reference to a Connection Cost Threshold - however despite much searching through the contract docs I can't see anywhere that this cost is specified.

Anyone have a notion what the cost threshold is set at?

From Deployment Schedule
    NBPco shall satisfy any request to Connect a New Premises, provided that
    NBPco shall not be required to Connect a New Premises where the cost of
    Connecting the New Premises exceeds the Connection Cost Threshold
    in
    circumstances where a Service Provider or End User (as applicable) does not
    agree to pay the excess.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

So, I'm at least 400m to the nearest telephone pole (I'm between 2 exchanges and Eir declined to provide a landline, offered 28kbps wireless!). I guess this will cost a bit to put in the necessary poles to bring fibre to my property. We paid the standard connection charge of around €1800 to ESB, they ran in 11 or 12 poles over 600m to us. I would happily pay a bit for the fibre, within reason - but I doubt any service provider is going to pay excess costs.

In the Deployment Schedule I have found reference to a Connection Cost Threshold - however despite much searching through the contract docs I can't see anywhere that this cost is specified.

From Deployment Schedule
    NBPco shall satisfy any request to Connect a New Premises, provided that
    NBPco shall not be required to Connect a New Premises where the cost of
    Connecting the New Premises exceeds the Connection Cost Threshold
    in
    circumstances where a Service Provider or End User (as applicable) does not
    agree to pay the excess.

From what I remember the cost threshold is €5000, anything over that and the homeowner has to pay to connect the house to the fiber network

TheSegal wrote: »
    From what I remember the cost threshold is €5000, anything over that and the homeowner has to pay to connect the house to the fiber network

Thanks. Was that from a published doc or quoted by a service provider?

I just found a Comreg USO report 2016 where they decided to keep the Reasonable Access Threshold at €7000, though at the same time they maintained minimum access speed at 28.8kbps!

Thanks. Was that from a published doc or quoted by a service provider?

I just found a Comreg USO report 2016 where they decided to keep the Reasonable Access Threshold at €7000, though at the same time they maintained minimum access speed at 28.8kbps!

NBI are not the Universal Service Provider.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/08/10/carrigaline-will-be-first-connected-to-national-fibre-broadband-plan/
    The National Broadband Plan contract provides for the provision of fibre for premises (including any newly constructed premises in the NBP intervention area) for a standard wholesale connection charge of €100.
    The charge of €100 will be levelled on the Retail Service Provider who connects the premises, and not directly on the homeowner.
    It is up to the RSP whether this cost will be passed on or not, and there have been no decisions made by any RSPs on that front yet.
    In exceptional circumstances where the cost of connection exceeds €5,000, NBI through the retail provider can request the homeowner to contribute towards the excess cost. Such a scenario is considered unlikely and should it arise, technical solutions will be explored to ensure the homeowner does not incur any additional charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€7000 threshold was removed too.

ED E wrote: »
    €7000 threshold was removed too.

Comreg would want to update their website then

OT anyhow, as clohamon notes this relates only to eir's role as USP for telephone services.

I see a few mentions elsewhere that the figure of €5000 for NBI connection threshold was included in draft contract, guess I'll find out for sure once survey is done.

As already mentioned it's €5,000, the official figure is probably in the redacted parts of the NBP contract.

These quotes from Dept of Communications officials
    The old USO regime was an automatic designation because of its legacy incumbency on the copper network. The connection charge for anyone that wants a copper connection has been the same for about 15 years. It is €117. We are charging €100, so it is not too different. The consumer paid nothing unless the cost went over €7,000 in what was called a regulated access threshold. We have a similar threshold in our contract but it is set at €5,000.
    We are subsidising the connection up to €5,000 because there are a lot of homes with broken ducts that cannot get an overhead connection or that need an extra four or five poles to get the connection down there. As Ms Lennon stated, a pole costs €600. There are many homes in rural Ireland that are not within 50 m of the border of the road. There are poles every 40 m.
    Deputy Brian Stanley: In the case of NBI, where the cost goes over €5,000, the customer has to pay.

Mr. Fergal Mulligan: The customer has to make a contribution, yes.

From NBI's documentation
    Non-Standard Service Survey

A non-standard survey is required to establish the cost of connection where
    - the standard solution is rejected by the End User (e.g. where the End User requests an underground (UG) solution instead of the standard overhead service)
    - the solution is expected to cost over €5,000

The Service Provider will be charged up front for this type of Survey order. There may be differing survey costs depending on the expected scope of work -
    - Desktop survey
    - UG at typical estate
    - UG at rural location

The cost will be incorporated into the connection charge if the order proceeds.
    A survey may be required for the following scenarios:

1. Where the NBI survey team could not complete a survey during the network design phase (e.g. long driveway, restricted view, etc.).
    2. A complex build where the cost for delivering service on the End User’s premises may exceed the threshold.

The outcome of these surveys will result in a Standard installation type or a Premium installation, where a financial contribution (above the Standard Connection charge) is required from the End User.

Where an additional financial contribution (above the Standard Connection charge) is required, the Service Provider will be required to select Premium connection type when placing an order.

Comreg would want to update their website then

The website is correct as per their Decision on this back in 2016 - https://www.comreg.ie/publication/universal-service-requirements-provision-access-fixed-location-afl-uso

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Just saw the cable being fed through the poles outside Rochestown College in Cork.

https://www.southernstar.ie/archon/a-ramshackle-effort-at-a-us-coup-detat-4217066
    The broadband service in Cobh has led to concerned citizens forming an ‘action group’ to highlight the broken promises of National Broadband Ireland (NBI), particularly the commitment to provide a proper service. In a statement to this newspaper, the group said:
    ‘Last May National Broadband Ireland (NBI) promised that it would install broadband in Cobh between December 2020 and February 2021. But some weeks ago NBI announced there was no date for installation in Cobh and that the area was still being surveyed.’

To their astonishment, the Cobh Broadband Action Group discovered that installation had been pushed forward by another year – from December 2021 to May 2022.
    Committee members Bill Ramsell, Jim O’Meara, Denis Twomey, Dave Muldowney and Eoghan Allen are now demanding a reversion to the original plan.
    They also seek from the broadband company (NBI) ‘the courtesy of a response to our letters.’
    Their campaign has the support of local people, the local authority and councillors. Hugely disgruntled customers say that it’s time for the broadband company to produce the goods and put an end to a defective service whose impact on customers is to drive them brainsick, unhinged and unbalanced!
    Cobh Broadband Action Group can be contacted at badbroadbandcobh@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

whose impact on customers is to drive them brainsick, unhinged and unbalanced!

Yeah, it's the lack of broadband doing that to Cobh people :P:D:D

Just saw the cable being fed through the poles outside Rochestown College in Cork.

Also spotted them this morning, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Secto back on our road today installing DPs on the poles

Advertisement