Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

inforfun wrote: »
    And question for KKV.... do you live as a recluse on a private island that BOI quote you €120 less than me while i have similar if not better "stats"

Living as a recluse on a private island (or leitrim, same thing) is a dream for me.

I'm currently living in Drogheda. If you ignore the petrol bombs and murders, it's kinda like a private island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

This might sound funny but I assumed "itsforwomen" only dealth with...well women?? the person you replied to is male . I checked their website before and just pictures of females and nowhere did it say anything about males being able to get quotes :o
    I was thinking it seemed a bit sexist allright lol, i cant be the only person that assumed this?
    It would be a very fair assumption to be fair and back in the day it used to be the case that they only quoted women. I (being a male) called them a few years back for a quote and it was all but implied by the sale rep that I should be in a lunatic asylum. Low and behold I learned from someone that in the meantime they do now quote males also.... go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

08 320d
    Licence just under 8 years
    NCB 8 years
    No points, accidents etc
    Currently with Bank of Ireland fully comp prestige policy with all the add ons.
    Last year 677
    Renewal 727

Quick shopping around today nothing came close in price . Still chanced my arm and rang BOI back and got it down to 677 again. Happy with that.

I couldn't help mentioning to the woman down the phone that the increase was probably the insurers way of claiming back the cost of the All4One the sent out last year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It would be a very fair assumption to be fair and back in the day it used to be the case that they only quoted women. I (being a male) called them a few years back for a quote and it was all but implied by the sale rep that I should be in a lunatic asylum. Low and behold I learned from someone that in the meantime they do now quote males also.... go figure.

No "go figure" required, the favourable bias towards female drivers was removed, well, they were told to remove it.

Maybe a name change should be in order. Save the insanity of a man getting an insurance quote from a Broker called Itsforwomen:)

• Advertisement

Maybe a name change should be in order. Save the insanity of a man getting an insurance quote from a Broker called Itsforwomen:)

Anything goes nowadays...:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Age 28
    Location Galway
    Car 2011 1.6 Jetta TDI
    5 years NCB (2 windscreens in 2016, 2018 and a claim off a third party's insurance in 2019)
    3 points
    1 additional driver
    Last year Axa €770 talked down to 685
    Renewal this year €732, will ring around again as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

skibum wrote: »
    Your Age: 54
    Car type and engine: 2002 Opel Astra 1.4
    years driving: 35
    any claims: none
    no penalty points
    Price and provider: Allianz, It was €472 last year, €504 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc Got it down to €462....

Rang around, most wouldn't quote due to age of car......

Astra's timing belt snapped at 120kmh a few weeks ago, interesting enough experience on the M7 during rushhour....

long story short, got a 2008 Mercedes C180k with 80,000Km back on the road, plus with a change of occupation to a higher risk level, i had to pay €92 extra to cover it until next september.
    Between getting a far better car and now in the hospitality sector (which they dont like) it was far less than I was dreading.....

Astra's timing belt snapped at 120kmh a few weeks ago, interesting enough experience on the M7 during rushhour....

long story short, got a 2008 Mercedes C180k with 80,000Km back on the road, plus with a change of occupation to a higher risk level, i had to pay €92 extra to cover it until next september.
    Between getting a far better car and now in the hospitality sector (which they dont like) it was far less than I was dreading.....

What are you doing? Security on a closed hotel:pac: I didn't think there was a hospitality industry left:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that a interference or non interference engine? Did you hear a banging of the valves off the pistons?

• Advertisement

Is that a interference or non interference engine? Did you hear a banging of the valves off the pistons?

You never hear anything the engine just stops, very few non-interference engines around now.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What are you doing? Security on a closed hotel:pac: I didn't think there was a hospitality industry left:mad:
    Pub trade..... I'm optomistic that we will be back open before the summer

Engine just died, no funny sounds, vibrations, no warning.
    foot on clutch, into neutral, no power steering or servo for brakes, all this at 120+ kmh right hand lane (was overtaking at the time)...... managed to get over to hard shoulder.

Pub trade..... I'm optomistic that we will be back open before the summer

Which summer?

Engine just died, no funny sounds, vibrations, no warning.
    foot on clutch, into neutral, no power steering or servo for brakes, all this at 120+ kmh right hand lane (was overtaking at the time)...... managed to get over to hard shoulder.

Happened twice with me, Toyota Hiace and an Isuzu wfr, exactly like you described, it's as though you just switched off the engine. Luckily mine were work vehicles, I just had the hassle of trying to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭ofcork

My renewal coming up soon was 528 last year through chill got 3 points courtesy of go safe so just did an online quote with chill again cheapest 518 most expensive 3341!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

cefh17 wrote: »
    Age 28
    Location Galway
    Car 2011 1.6 Jetta TDI
    5 years NCB (2 windscreens in 2016, 2018 and a claim off a third party's insurance in 2019)
    3 points
    1 additional driver
    Last year Axa €770 talked down to 685
    Renewal this year €732, will ring around again as per usual

Rang Axa back and got €650, that's it for another year thankfully :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 matt3326

Car: 2012 Vauxhall Ampera PHEV
    3 years NCB (1 third party claim in 2016 and another in 2017)
    9 points courtesy of GoSafe
    1 named driver (the partner)

Last year: AXA €1070 fully Comp for a DriveSave telematics policy (pre-penalty points)
    Renewal this year for the same DriveSave policy was: €1274, before declaring the points.

Wasn't expecting much but shopped around and just Got quoted KennCo €806 fully Comp.

Absolutely floored that it went down after adding 9 points, was fully expecting to be done over a barrel this year. Only downside seems to be the high excess (€1000) but given I'm losing the telematics I'll happily take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Wow,landed on your feet!^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

matt3326 wrote: »
    Car: 2012 Vauxhall Ampera PHEV
    3 years NCB (1 third party claim in 2016 and another in 2017)
    9 points courtesy of GoSafe
    1 named driver (the partner)

Last year: AXA €1070 fully Comp for a DriveSave telematics policy (pre-penalty points)
    Renewal this year for the same DriveSave policy was: €1274, before declaring the points.

Wasn't expecting much but shopped around and just Got quoted KennCo €806 fully Comp.

Absolutely floored that it went down after adding 9 points, was fully expecting to be done over a barrel this year. Only downside seems to be the high excess (€1000) but given I'm losing the telematics I'll happily take it.

Out of interest, how do you find the Ampera?

• Advertisement

Paid 513 through chill was 518 last year had to ring as got 3 points as renewal price was 500 did a few other quotes but all up in the 7/800 zone.

My own policy is due for renewal on the 28th of February. Got my renewal notice from Aviva in the week just gone. They are looking for €577.92, up from the €508.32 I paid last year.

Cover is comprehensive on a 2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D. 39 year old male, full Irish license held for almost 20 years, non penalty points, no claims, no convictions and full no claims discount. Living in a rural area.

Feel I can do better. Will be getting quotes over the next week or two and will keep you posted.

^ would agreed think you could do better ,im with Aviva, 2008 Zafira 1.6, added drivers wife and son on N plate ,fully comp, €360, same details as you but im older.^

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    ^ would agreed think you could do better ,im with Aviva, 2008 Zafira 1.6, added drivers wife and son on N plate ,fully comp, €360, same details as you but im older.^
    Eek, all the same you seem to be doing a lot better paying €360. I thought the two named drivers on N plates would load a policy considerably more. Unless I'm missing something I'm being fleeced:(

My own policy is due for renewal on the 28th of February. Got my renewal notice from Aviva in the week just gone. They are looking for €577.92, up from the €508.32 I paid last year.

Cover is comprehensive on a 2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D. 39 year old male, full Irish license held for almost 20 years, non penalty points, no claims, no convictions and full no claims discount. Living in a rural area.

Feel I can do better. Will be getting quotes over the next week or two and will keep you posted.

You are similar to me I have a 2012 avensis 49 full license no claims living in city suburbs 3 points paid 518 last year with no points got it to 513 this year with the points, have you a named driver on your policy

Eek, all the same you seem to be doing a lot better paying €360. I thought the two named drivers on N plates would load a policy considerably more. Unless I'm missing something I'm being fleeced:(

Just one on N plate my son ,wife full licence , i was surprised too adding my son was very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Car: 2006 Volvo S40 1.6 petrol
    Licence :full
    NCB : 7 years named driver experience.
    €532 with liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Your Age: 39 but 40 on renewal.
    Car type and engine: Audi A6 2.0 Diesel
    Years driving: 19 years
    Any claims: No claims ever, no points.
    Price and provider: Renewal from 123.ie of €672 LOL.
    Cover: Fully Comp.

Renewal is €100+ from last year....no chance!

Axa €553
    Aviva €503
    Chill €490-€1500

Went with the AA for €380, so a saving of €292.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Oul lad got his Aviva renewal the other day.

201 Qashqui 1.5l. Himself and the mothership, fully comp with all the bells and whistles incl full NCD protection. Paid €412 last year, renewal is €334 all in. Excellent price. Tried a couple of quotes for him and couldn't get sub €400 with anyone. He is 67 and a farmer / retired, oul lady is housewife and 64. Both full licences since jesus was a boy and no a/c/c/PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Lost my no claims bonus whilst living abroad and so starting from scratch :/
    Getting fully comp quotes currently for 1600-1800 EUR. Guess i'll just have to suck it up but was wondering, what sort of drop would I see in the premium in the second year assuming of course no penalty points,accidents etc..

Thanks

Advertisement