Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

Looking to replace my Amazon Fire TV (2nd gen - not a stick) to run Netflix etc on a 2nd TV.
    Any suggestions for something cheap (sub €40)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

xlogo wrote: »
    Looking to replace my Amazon Fire TV (2nd gen - not a stick) to run Netflix etc on a 2nd TV.
    Any suggestions for something cheap (sub €40)?

There's isn't much in that price range, a fire stick lite?
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

A fire Stick 4k in currys is above your budget
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

A fire Stick 4k in currys is above your budget

Cheers - anything non Amazon?

Cheers - anything non Amazon?

A mi stick, not sure where from
    https://www.xiaomi.ie/xiaomi-mi-tv-stick/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

A mi stick, not sure where from
    https://www.xiaomi.ie/xiaomi-mi-tv-stick/
    avoid the Mi stick its poor

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    avoid the Mi stick its poor

Yeah there's little else for that budget

OK cheers for the replies - looks like I'll have revise the budget.
    What's a decent box at the lower end of the market?

OK cheers for the replies - looks like I'll have revise the budget.
    What's a decent box at the lower end of the market?

Since you've ruled out Amazon devices there is the new Google Chromecast and the Mibox s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There are plenty of boxes under €40 that do a good job mentioned back.
    With widevine, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Disney are unlikely to be available in HD as apps on most of them, but they can all be played in HD through Kodi anyway, and are supposed to be back on other media centers that had been able to, soon, so I wouldn't let that limit my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd rate the new chromecast as good as the shield to be honest.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

Can apps be side loaded onto the Chromecast (apps not in the play store) ?

Can apps be side loaded onto the Chromecast (apps not in the play store) ?

Yep with the downloader app as you would with android TV or Fire OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭sioda

Yep with the downloader app as you would with android TV or Fire OS.

Am I the only one who just throws the APK on my Google drive then use Xplore to install from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any ideas how to change an url into an m3u file?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

sioda wrote: »
    Am I the only one who just throws the APK on my Google drive then use Xplore to install from there?

Yeah that's how I do it but I use file commander.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any ideas how to change an url into an m3u file?

Is the URL a link to a site where you login? If so then you need to ask your provider for a link to the m3u or how you make the m3u from your login details

Is the URL a link to a site where you login? If so then you need to ask your provider for a link to the m3u or how you make the m3u from your login details

i generally dont have to log in using the url when using standard apps, username and password is in it, i need to upload it to a site, in order get it to work on an app, but the site wont accept the url, so im trying to convert it to an m3u, but sites such as siptv wont accept the url, heads wrecked with it

i generally dont have to log in using the url when using standard apps, username and password is in it, i need to upload it to a site, in order get it to work on an app, but the site wont accept the url, so im trying to convert it to an m3u, but sites such as siptv wont accept the url, heads wrecked with it

Sounds like it's already an m3u. Put the URL in your browser and download it

Sounds like it's already an m3u. Put the URL in your browser and download it

ive tried that already, and nothing happened, do i just literally stick it into the address bar, and happy days, because ive done that?

ive tried that already, and nothing happened, do i just literally stick it into the address bar, and happy days, because ive done that?

You need to ask your provider. When you goto the URL of an m3u in a browser it should download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭corks finest

Joking?????? Mustn't have had or seen the Shield in action, no comparison, I'm v surprised tbh

Joking?????? Mustn't have had or seen the Shield in action, no comparison, I'm v surprised tbh

if your just using it for tv streaming etc and not games it compares well

any recommendations for homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

My Chinese Android box is on its last legs. Looking for something new for Netflix, prime and disney(doesn't work at all on current box) to run in HD.
    Not mad on fire sticks, what's the best android option that people recommend?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Get the new chromecast with Google Tv if you dont want those android boxes.

If you have money to burn - Nvidia Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Get the new chromecast with Google Tv if you dont want those android boxes.

If you have money to burn - Nvidia Shield.

Don't mind the android boxes, they do the trick, I like having it wired as well.
    Is nvidia shield the only option for hd or would any of the new chinese ones work?

phily2002 wrote: »
    Don't mind the android boxes, they do the trick, I like having it wired as well.
    Is nvidia shield the only option for hd or would any of the new chinese ones work?

you can get an ethernet adapter for the new chromecast

My Chinese Android box is on its last legs. Looking for something new for Netflix, prime and disney(doesn't work at all on current box) to run in HD.
    Not mad on fire sticks, what's the best android option that people recommend?
    Thanks

new Chromecast is really good. Shield is the best, I have mine a couple year and it has never ever crashed on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Apart from the ones mentioned, these also have Google TV and the correct licences (All can be searched on hagglezon, or chinese sites) for Netflix etc.

Mi TV Stick (1080p HD)
    Mi Box S (4K)
    Ematic SRT202 / Engel EN1015K (4K)
    The Mecool KM (1, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9) series pretty much all have Google TV, but no 'official' Netflix HD app yet, but they are available to get.

Most or all other android boxes can play them in HD through MediaPlayers like Kodi, but I am not sure how stable they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭jj880

Bought a H96 max box last year. Fecking thing wont boot now. Stuck on android loading animation and restoring the firmware fails on reading the maskrom. According to h96 support website FAQs this means the storage memory is faulty but they wont reply to me on whatsapp or email with any support for the box.

Not sure what my options are. I bought it on geekbuying.com. Very disappointing.

Advertisement