Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would like to use my own Netgear ORBI with my SIRO Fiber Broadband

Options
  • 05-12-2018 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I have currently signed up to Vodafone Fiber Broadband as well as TV and Phone. I would like to use my own Netgear ORBI with my SIRO Fiber Broadband but Vodafone seem not to support using my own modem or have the ability to use their supplied modem in bridge mode.
    I have just been chatting to Digiweb who have confirmed that I can do this with the modem they provide for their SIRO Broadband and I don't want to be stuck in a contract with a provider who can't give me the service I require!
    Can anyone confirm or deny this 100%?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I have currently signed up to Vodafone Fiber Broadband as well as TV and Phone. I would like to use my own Netgear ORBI with my SIRO Fiber Broadband but Vodafone seem not to support using my own modem or have the ability to use their supplied modem in bridge mode.
    I have just been chatting to Digiweb who have confirmed that I can do this with the modem they provide for their SIRO Broadband and I don't want to be stuck in a contract with a provider who can't give me the service I require!
    Can anyone confirm or deny this 100%?

You don't need to bridge. You can connect your Orbi directly to the ONT after you have configured VLAN 10 on it's WAN. Be aware that doing this will lose your phone service if you are using VoIP with Vodafone.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108608377&postcount=243

is the setup for eir FTTH. I think Vodafone use PPP. I'll have a search to see if I can find the details.

Here's a post with the required Vodafone details.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108500264&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I am beginning to wonder if I should have chosen DigiWeb instead?

You don't need to bridge. You can connect your Orbi directly to the ONT after you have configured VLAN 10 on it's WAN. Be aware that doing this will lose your phone service if you are using VoIP with Vodafone.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108608377&postcount=243

is the setup for eir FTTH. I think Vodafone use PPP. I'll have a search to see if I can find the details.

What is the ONT? and how easy is it to configure the VLAN? I am assuming the VLAN config is accessed from the Netgear Router settings?

What is the ONT? and how easy is it to configure the VLAN? I am assuming the VLAN config is accessed from the Netgear Router settings?

The ONT is the device that converts the fibre optical signal to Ethernet. It is the device that your Vodafone router is connected to.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108569084&postcount=2

VLAN would be configured in the Orbi settings.

Another option if you want to keep the phone is leave the Vodafone router in place. Turn off WiFi on the Vodafone router and set up your Orbi as an access point.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

• Advertisement

The ONT is the device that converts the fibre optical signal to Ethernet. It is the device that your Vodafone router is connected to.

Another option if you want to keep the phone is leave the Vodafone router in place. Turn off WiFi on the Vodafone router and set up your Orbi as an access point.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

After spending 30 mins listening to Vodafone’s post “on hold” music I was told by the Tech Support department that I could use the ORBI but not have any support or....... use the Vodafone router in bridge more to connect the ORBI.
    On the other hand DigiWeb answered immediately....... my faith lies in DigiWeb

After spending 30 mins listening to Vodafone’s post “on hold” music I was told by the Tech Support department that I could use the ORBI but not have any support or....... use the Vodafone router in bridge more to connect the ORBI.

What do you expect will be different with Digiweb? It is the same network so the same restrictions apply. There is no need to bridge with either Vodafone or Digiweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

But your contract is with vodafone. Digiweb will only support their own router too AFAIK, even though they seem to have better customer service.
    It's a non issue anyway as setting up the ORBI to work with SIRO is not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Navi gave the OP a link to an idiotproof way to do this in the first response. Yet the OP continues to go off on an unrelated tangent. They may need a hand from a more savvy friend.

I think I will try this for starters. I will give the first option a bash once I am set up, I am not sure how it will effect the SIRO TV package. Many thanks again for your patience with my questions, the right questions are the hardest part of this subject :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're
    A) Getting FTTH over SIRO (vs OpenEir)
    B) Getting TV from the same pipe (vodafone TV)

Then wait. We need somebody technically minded to debug that kinda setup first so advice can be given. To date Ive seen no reports of anyone doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NiallJG1991

Hi All,

Recently signed up with Sky Fiber, and I am using the Orbi RBK50.

I have the Orbi connected to the Sky hardware with a ethernet cable, and I have turned off the wireless signal from the Sky router.

I've read that it is possible to connect the Orbi directly to the ONT on several different sites, and I have read the posts and threads on Boards.ie as well.

This evening, I enabled the VLAN ID as 10, plugged the Orbi directly to the ONT and power cycled everything.

The Orbi, and network it has created, was functioning completely normally, but there was no internet access at all.

There is something I am missing, and it is probably something obvious, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hi All,

Recently signed up with Sky Fiber, and I am using the Orbi RBK50.

I have the Orbi connected to the Sky hardware with a ethernet cable, and I have turned off the wireless signal from the Sky router.

I've read that it is possible to connect the Orbi directly to the ONT on several different sites, and I have read the posts and threads on Boards.ie as well.

This evening, I enabled the VLAN ID as 10, plugged the Orbi directly to the ONT and power cycled everything.

The Orbi, and network it has created, was functioning completely normally, but there was no internet access at all.

There is something I am missing, and it is probably something obvious, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Niall

Did you setup the PPPOE connection on the Orbi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NiallJG1991

Hi john4321,

There is the obvious step I skipped.
    Have to put this down to my novice level of networking knowledge.

Would you happen to know where I can find that setting on the Orbi admin interface?
    Hoping to have time to look at this after work tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hi john4321,

There is the obvious step I skipped.
    Have to put this down to my novice level of networking knowledge.

Would you happen to know where I can find that setting on the Orbi admin interface?
    Hoping to have time to look at this after work tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply ☺️

Im not familiar with the Orbi routers but here is a guide.

https://melvinchng.github.io/orbi/setup.html#step-6-perform-firmware-upgrade

Look at step 7.

I dont have the PPPOE settings for Sky though im with Digiweb myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

john4321 wrote: »
    Im not familiar with the Orbi routers but here is a guide.

https://melvinchng.github.io/orbi/setup.html#step-6-perform-firmware-upgrade

Look at step 7.

I dont have the PPPOE settings for Sky though im with Digiweb myself.

I have Sky Siro fibre and was tired of dropouts using the Sky hub, so I decided to put my own router into play. I am using the Netgear X6 r8000 connected to the ONT. Using PPPoe user: xxx@skydsl PWD: anything you want and VLAN 10, it connects first time. However the line speed dropped to 250 Mbps! Tried with a TP link VR2800 and get 500 Mbps. Not sure why the speed is low, but it's working!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

sysconp1 wrote: »
    I have Sky Siro fibre and was tired of dropouts using the Sky hub, so I decided to put my own router into play. I am using the Netgear X6 r8000 connected to the ONT. Using PPPoe user: xxx@skydsl PWD: anything you want and VLAN 10, it connects first time. However the line speed dropped to 250 Mbps! Tried with a TP link VR2800 and get 500 Mbps. Not sure why the speed is low, but it's working!

Do you still get drop outs?
    I am using an Asus router in the same setup and it drops out several times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Do you still get drop outs?
    I am using an Asus router in the same setup and it drops out several times a day.

I have had no dropouts since moving to my own router. Also the Sky mini's have been rock solid around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi there,

Thanks for the post with Sky pppoe settings.

Did you ever get the speed issue sorted?

I just switched from Vodafone to Sky so when it's activated I want to continue to use my Orbi setup as is without any provider router.

Hopefully you got it sorted ..

Cheers,

Mac

Advertisement