Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change DNS on new eir fibre box?

Options
  • 04-11-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm trying to change DNS on the new EIr F5366s box, but I can't seem to find the right option.

I can change DNS in the WAN interface, but this doesn't seem to affect Local network, it is still pointing users to Eir's DNS and I can see that in the Local network tab, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    DAn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

danindub wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to change DNS on the new EIr F5366s box, but I can't seem to find the right option.

I can change DNS in the WAN interface, but this doesn't seem to affect Local network, it is still pointing users to Eir's DNS and I can see that in the Local network tab, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    DAn

Have you tried flushing the DNS cache on your computer to see if that fixes the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭danindub

Hi Pizzza,

I haven't no, but that's not the problem: if I query the router directly

nslookup query.com 192.168.1.254

I get eircom's response, not one that would be returned from my chosen DNS provider :/

Id I go to local network settings it clearly states that the two DNS Servers for local network are Eircom's DNSes., despite setting WAN ones to manual 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 :/

If you run just nslookup query.com, what DNS servers are returned?

Are the DNS servers manually set on the PC?

Hi Pizza,

No DNS are set on machine, I'm talking about all devices on the network.

if I query for example ;)

nslookup thepiratebay.org 192.168.1.254

or just

nslookup thepiratebay.org

I'm getting air's "blocked" 67.212.88.146.

If I do

nslookup thepiratebay.org 1.1.1.1

I get correct 162.159.136.6.

In LAN status in router I can see still eircom DNS Servers and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it (see image attached).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

is there a DHCP section where you configure what settings are handed out to clients ?

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    is there a DHCP section where you configure what settings are handed out to clients ?

The only option available to edit is the DHCP IP pool range :/

Sorry, I don't have the Eircom router so can't help with changing the DNS servers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Late to this thread, but I'm having similar issues. It seems no matter the DNS you enter, it will revert back to Eircom's or ignore it.

Likewise, it seems the router won't route DNS to an internal IP e.g. 192.168.1.X I have a Pi running PiHole and it won't query it, which I've found to be the case on other routers provided by telco's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 goodshort

What if you go to Access Control > Port Forwading > And add a rule for DNS with external and internal host being your pi-hole host?

goodshort wrote: »
    What if you go to Access Control > Port Forwading > And add a rule for DNS with external and internal host being your pi-hole host?

Could give it a go but it's generally not a good idea to expose a DNS port to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jt72

danindub wrote: »

Here's how I have done it, if you're comfortable with getting into the developer tools in your browser. The UI uses JavaScript, and you can read and set values even if the web page doesn't expose them.

With Chrome, open the developer tools and open the console. At the console, type:
    $.xmo.getValuesTree("Device/DHCPv4/Server/Pools/Pool[@uid='1']/DNSServers");

You should see a response which shows the DNS server of the Default DHCP pool. If you want to see the other pool or use the guest network you might want to use this instead:
    $.xmo.getValuesTree("Device/DHCPv4/Server/Pools");

To set the value, in this example 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are used:
    $.xmo.setValuesTree("8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4", "Device/DHCPv4/Server/Pools/Pool[@uid='1']/DNSServers");

To check the value was set:
    $.xmo.getValuesTree("Device/DHCPv4/Server/Pools/Pool[@uid='1']/DNSServers");

Keep these commands handy. I set the DNS server to a pi-hole and had to change it when the pi-hole failed!

Further to this, I found the general technique for doing this at this github: wuseman's SAGEMCOM-FAST-5370e github

Jesus, boggles the mind why they need to tamper with the standard user interface that we need to get down to the Javascript console to make these changes.

Updated the post to indicate you can do the javascript stuff after logging into the modem web ui.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Jesus, boggles the mind why they need to tamper with the standard user interface that we need to get down to the Javascript console to make these changes.

I think there are other issues with this modem that make it hard to use.

I tried to disable the modem's DHCP server because I couldn't set the DNS servers. I was planning to use the pi-hole for DHCP. What I think I saw was that broadcast DHCP requests from wireless clients were not being forwarded to Ethernet - they weren't being bridged like most other devices would.

This would mean that if you disable the modem's DHCP server you wouldn't be able to use the wifi for clients. You'd have to get an external AP and plug it into the Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adderkleet

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got an eir Fibre box and managed to find the DNS option by clicking the gear to the right of "Internet Connectivity". No idea if the change will stick yet, but it currently seems to work (I can access certain websites that are usually blocked).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ah thanks for this.

What a piece of **** device

Advertisement