Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Is it getting too late in the year to lay tar, is there a min temperature recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

caddy16 wrote: »
    Is it getting too late in the year to lay tar, is there a min temperature recommended?

Under 6degrees not recommended.

macadam wrote: »
    Under 6degrees not recommended.
    Thanks, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Tarmac looks absolutely splendid when it is first put down, but we are getting Angela's Ashes type weather more and more often in Ireland these days. This creates greater issues with moss etc.

There was a time when I thought seriously about tarmac, but for such an outlay, it is not an everlasting surface

I am now looking towards loose 14 mm black limestone or similar on my driveway on top of rolled 804. It is very easy to replenish stone, not so easy replenish tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

They reccomend a top up every 5 years..should also mention theres an anti slip additive in it too.

https://www.smartseal.ie/coatings/tarmac-sealer-restorer/tarmac-restorer_1.htm

https://allcrete.ie

The product I put on is from smartseal distributor above.
    I think a company called Allcrete do a near similar product.
    20litre drum does about 40-60m2 & costs around €150 per drum. I used about 2.5 drums in total.

That looks an amazing job, man! Did you use a roller or like I seen on some videos when guys are laying bitumen, and they use those rubber scraper blades? (Maybe you'd waste a ton of product that way, idk?) What is the consistency/viscosity of the restorer like? I tried the tarmac paint last year and as a result of cleaning/prepping it, have a way worse moss problem than ever before now. I will be following your lead in the Spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You can see the area where I filled the rutting holes with cold tar at end of my finger. & you'll notice the bead of tech7 along the kerb

Super job. I've about 300m2 which needs doing.
    What are you doing next spring? :)

A question on the bitumen. Did you just hammer in the cold bitumen or did you heat it? How did it adhere to what was there already?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What’s the going rate for tar these days? Got a quote of €17,500 for a drive way this week for a 500 sq. m drive way. Nearly fainted.

godtabh wrote: »
    What’s the going rate for tar these days? Got a quote of €17,500 for a drive way this week for a 500 sq. m drive way. Nearly fainted.

I've quotes ranging from €9k to €12k for sma for a similar area. Unless there's a lot of groundwork that seems excessive imo. Based in midwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

Done before Christmas, 470m sma, machine laid, €9500

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks lads. Most check locally. Quote is direct but introduction from a builder quoting for other work.

At €17.5k it wouldn’t be done.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

Its been under priced here for too many years, too many cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cortter

I got a driveway 800 square meters just done
    2,500 euros

Cortter wrote: »
    I got a driveway 800 square meters just done
    2,500 euros

Was that inc the vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cortter

Was that inc the vat?

No taxes

Cortter wrote: »
    No taxes

Who was the contractor I have some work for him. At €3 perm2 I could sit back and have a nice earner going. Send me his details pls

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gillerno1

Hi all. Has anyone used MLP Tarmac, based near Navan? Just wondering if anyone can recommend them (or otherwise)?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

Hi all, based in mid Tipp and have 1,250m2 to surface. It includes a driveway with an incline.

Would anyone have recommendations or even ballpark costs?

Any guidance on what would be best type of job to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a fair sized area! Roadstone seem to have a flat charge (they will easily give you a quote on their website, just fill in the numbers and they will get back). They seem to have a flat minimum (go away and don't be annoying us) fee of about 10k + vat for 100sqm or 200sqm up to an area that begins to interest them, so you may get better value. But that is on top of you independently getting the site levelled, drained, kerbed, and the appropriate depth of filling material and 804, compressed. So you can add a few k on for that.

Many years ago (like maybe 40) they did a driveway for us that was expensive but not irrational, and they did the whole job. Ten years later when we left the house it was still like new, not a crack or a weed or any wear at all. If I could get that sort of job done, the whole job, at a rational price, I would go for it.

I have no need for tarmac, but for some reason I randomly end up in and out of this thread, reading with great interest (for the day I win the lotto and get a big-ass driveway with a lovely detached house, etc.).

But I have to say, fair play to user Macadam. He's been posting advice, guidance, pricing, techniques, etc. in this thread since it was made in 2012! :eek: I genuinely hope he's getting at least some work out of it. That's fantastic dedication to the forum. Hat's off to you, man!

I'll be in touch for a quote myself, when I get next weeks €165m Euromillions money cleared into my bank account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But I have to say, fair play to user Macadam. He's been posting advice, guidance, pricing, techniques, etc. in this thread since it was made in 2012! :eek: I genuinely hope he's getting at least some work out of it. That's fantastic dedication to the forum. Hat's off to you, man!
    Have to agree. This is one of the few occasions on Boards where you have an expert in a particular field who gives help and advice to others and does so graciously.

Keep up the good work macadam :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have no need for tarmac, but for some reason I randomly end up in and out of this thread, reading with great interest (for the day I win the lotto and get a big-ass driveway with a lovely detached house, etc.).

I'll be in touch for a quote myself, when I get next weeks €165m Euromillions money cleared into my bank account :D

Afraid to disappoint. I think it's going to 180. :D

listermint wrote: »
    Afraid to disappoint. I think it's going to 180. :D

I'll be getting an even bigger driveway, so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

trg wrote: »
    Hi all, based in mid Tipp and have 1,250m2 to surface. It includes a driveway with an incline.

Would anyone have recommendations or even ballpark costs?

Any guidance on what would be best type of job to do?

I'd guesstimate 20+ vat m2 at least if you have drains kerbs etc in, make sure it's machine laid, get a busy fella- he's busy for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Is there anyone in the Roscommon area that reseal tarmac driveways? Mine's old, but intact. However it's getting moss every year, and I think having it professionally resealed would give it a new lease of life.

Cheers for the compliments, I havent done one job from here, well not knowingly anyway, got a warning alright off some of the scam merchants in the game, the reason I came on here was the bad name this service/trade has.

I have been in the game 44 years and Im winding down only interested in small stuff, the graw is gone, not too many queuing up to get into it.
    I will still check in here to help anyone out, I thought of travelling around advising looking after jobs for individual house holders but decided against it.

I see some of the scam merchants still operating and screwing the daylights out of folk, seen one guy finishing a job about 2klms from my base last thursday at 10.30am it was minus 3 degrees, I can guarantee you this job wont last 12 months. And it wasnt essential works, he has been discussed on these pages before from a different jurisdiction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Pique wrote: »
    Is there anyone in the Roscommon area that reseal tarmac driveways? Mine's old, but intact. However it's getting moss every year, and I think having it professionally resealed would give it a new lease of life.

Looking to do the same in Clare if anyone has any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I have a fairly small piece to get done at the from of the house 20 sqm.
    Its an extension to a parking spot. I'veit dug out and the new kerbs put in.
    It need the old kerbs cut out, some fill put in and the tarmac layer added.
    Anyone know of someone in the Galway City area that might look at this small job and any idea of a rough price for this kinda work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Cheers for the compliments, I havent done one job from here, well not knowingly anyway, got a warning alright off some of the scam merchants in the game, the reason I came on here was the bad name this service/trade has.

I have been in the game 44 years and Im winding down only interested in small stuff, the graw is gone, not too many queuing up to get into it.
    I will still check in here to help anyone out, I thought of travelling around advising looking after jobs for individual house holders but decided against it.

I see some of the scam merchants still operating and screwing the daylights out of folk, seen one guy finishing a job about 2klms from my base last thursday at 10.30am it was minus 3 degrees, I can guarantee you this job wont last 12 months. And it wasnt essential works, he has been discussed on these pages before from a different jurisdiction!!

Hi you were going to pop out to me in Cavan in 2018 to quote near Tom Smyths bar but between your work load and a few other things you never made it.
    Thanks for all the advice though as it allowed us to get a great driveway.
    Any tips on maintenance?

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi you were going to pop out to me in Cavan in 2018 to quote near Tom Smyths bar but between your work load and a few other things you never made it.
    Thanks for all the advice though as it allowed us to get a great driveway.
    Any tips on maintenance?

What maintenance, it shouldnt need any if its only in a couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What maintenance, it shouldnt need any if its only in a couple of years

A little bit of moss

Advertisement