Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well the reaction in this thread is pretty much exactly how I imagined it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    gimme a fcuking break, most, if not all our measures so far have failed since all of these attempts, and again, tech alone will not solve this, it will require everything, including our behavioral changes, to achieve what needs to be achieved

You didn't answer my question. What did she re-focus us on exactly?

If you are banking on behavioural changes then I wish you all the best. Technology will be the main driving force behind a solution. People aren't going to stop using planes, cars, eating meat, or consuming, to anywhere near the level required to stop/slow climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I feel sorry for the right wing crazies who are intimidated by a young woman. She has probably achieved more in the last few years, then they have achieved or will achieve in their entire lives.

Yeah sounds like you’re brimming with sympathy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You didn't answer my question. What did she re-focus us on exactly?

If you are banking on behavioural changes then I wish you all the best. Technology will be the main driving force behind a solution. People aren't going to stop using planes, cars, eating meat, or consuming, to anywhere near the level required to stop/slow climate change.

i dont need to answer it, because its clearly obvious that she has!

again, tech alone will not resolve this issue, and this is also 'clearly obvious'!

i dont need to answer it, because its clearly obvious that she has!

again, tech alone will not resolve this issue, and this is also 'clearly obvious'!

The focus was never lost in the first place! As I said, the Paris Climate agreement was only signed in 2015, and came into force towards the end of 2016. 2017 had many natural disasters were the question of 'was it a result of climate change?' was posed all the time.

When exactly was the focus lost?

• Advertisement

The focus was never lost in the first place! As I said, the Paris Climate agreement was only signed in 2015, and came into force towards the end of 2016. 2017 had many natural disasters were the question of 'was it a result of climate change?' was posed all the time.

When exactly was the focus lost?

am i really having this discussion with another human!

So you can't answer the question. Rightio.

So you can't answer the question. Rightio.

no, theres something very wrong with your thinking, you seem to be missing the bigger picture, and dare i say it, there also seems to be an enormous amount of ignorance there also

no, theres something very wrong with your thinking, you seem to be missing the bigger picture, and dare i say it, there also seems to be an enormous amount of ignorance there also

I am not missing the bigger the bigger picture. You are claiming she refocused us all. I'm asking when that focus was lost? I've given the example of the Paris Climate agreement that came into affect only 2 years before Greta emerged to 'refocus' us according to you.

If the answer is so self-evident, then surely answering the question is extremely easy. Yet, so far, you have yet to do it, preferring to proclaim there is something 'very wrong' with my thinking and posting stupid passive aggressive statements:

If you were to look at the bigger picture, you'd realise that climate change has been a huge issue for years, and has been in the public discourse long before Greta came along, and would have continued to be without her. No credible change has come about as a result of her protests and speeches.

I am not missing the bigger the bigger picture. You are claiming she refocused us all. I'm asking when that focus was lost? I've given the example of the Paris Climate agreement that came into affect only 2 years before Greta emerged to 'refocus' us according to you.

If the answer is so self-evident, then surely answering the question is extremely easy. Yet, so far, you have yet to do it, preferring to proclaim there is something 'very wrong' with my thinking and posting stupid passive aggressive statements:

If you were to look at the bigger picture, you'd realise that climate change has been a huge issue for years, and has been in the public discourse long before Greta came along, and would have continued to be without her. No credible change has come about as a result of her protests and speeches.

theres no point in continuing this discussion with you, you re just too ignorant

• Advertisement

theres no point in continuing this discussion with you, you re just too ignorant

Ok, the question remains unanswered, because you can't answer it. And by the way it is "you're" and "there's". Since you are so keen to talk about my supposed ignorance, maybe have a look at your own first.

Ok, the question remains unanswered, because you can't answer it. And by the way it is "you're" and "there's". Since you are so keen to talk about my supposed ignorance, maybe have a look at your own first.

it doesnt need to be answered, because its 'clearly obvious'! poor thing, must be difficult dealing with learning disabilities such as mine!

it doesnt need to be answered, because its 'clearly obvious'! poor thing, must be difficult dealing with learning disabilities such as mine!

Listen, as you said yourself:

Good luck ;)

Listen, as you said yourself:

Good luck ;)

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Most people don't have a clue about the science behind climate change. Knowing what rubbish goes onto what bin out the back is the extent of their knowledge. Gretta has educated absolutely nobody when it comes to environmental issues.
    All she has done is make it decisive issue while taking voices away from the scientists who actually know how to speak to adults.
    Wkoe losers as seen in this thread use her to portray themselves as better than their rivals.
    Climate change was never a divisive topic until Gretta came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://scitechdaily.com/field-research-shows-icing-can-cost-wind-turbines-up-to-80-of-power-production/

Wind turbine blades spinning through cold, wet conditions can collect ice nearly a foot thick on the yard-wide tips of their blades.

That disrupts blade aerodynamics. That disrupts the balance of the entire turbine. And that can disrupt energy production by up to 80 percent, according to a recently published field study led by Hui Hu, Iowa State University’s Martin C. Jischke Professor in Aerospace Engineering and director of the university’s Aircraft Icing Physics and Anti-/De-icing Technology Laboratory.

Ice-on-Wind-Turbine-Blade.jpg

https://www.hampshirechronicle.co.uk/news/19166479.greta-thunberg-statue-winchester-university-criticised/
    Greta Thunberg statue for Winchester University criticised

Out of 79 comments on the Chronicle’s Facebook, not one was overly positive regarding the statue.
    12408173.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

Who now?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭maik3n

biko wrote: »
    Are the comments mentioned just the tame ones though or are there more NSFW objections.
    Most of the negative comments in the article seem to be legit complaints about Greta having no connection to Winchester. :confused:

Greta is feeling left out of the limelight so have done a statement on the vaccinations.
    “But, so far, on average one in four people in high-income countries have received a coronavirus vaccine compared to just one in over 500 in low and middle-income countries.

“The international community, government and vaccine developers must step up their game and address the tragedy that is vaccine inequity.”
    Thunberg also spoke about how the pandemic links back to the climate crisis, saying “more frequent and more devastating pandemics” will hit the world unless “we drastically change our ways”.

She said: “Today, up to 75% of all emerging diseases come from animals and, as we are cutting down forests and destroying habitats, we are creating the ideal conditions for diseases to spill over from one animal to another and then to us.
    She do have a point.

Since the 1970s, it is estimated at least three dozen infectious diseases have emerged from human interference with animals, including Sars, Mers, Ebola, bird flu, swine flu and the Zika virus. As far back as 2007 the World Health Organisation warned that infectious diseases were emerging at a rate that had not been seen before.

The spread of the viruses is put down to a deadly combination of wildlife trafficking and consumption, increasing human encroachment into wildlife habitats as more people live in densely populated areas – and air travel, which enables pathogens to take hold globally.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/greta-thunberg-rich-countries-vaccine-young-people-completely-unethical-180746509.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

She said: “Today, up to 75% of all emerging diseases come from animals and, as we are cutting down forests and destroying habitats, we are creating the ideal conditions for diseases to spill over from one animal to another and then to us.

But I thought that billions of animals are dying due to climate change, so less animals => less disease, right? She can't have it both ways.

She crying out for attention at the moment and will latch onto anything she can think of, whether she knows the slightest thing about it or not. Now it's vaccinations... A complete and utter headbanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

How dare you attack a female child. How many statues of you are in universities? Are there T-Shirts and mugs with your inspirational quotes on them? Have you ever been a guest on Ellen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I disagree here.

The last thing Ms Thunberg is doing is crying out for attention,as she has no requirement for that aspect of human interaction so beloved of so many others.

Ms Thunberg's thought processes are indeed honed to a higher,far more focused degree than the rest of us,which has both benefits and drawbacks.

Being able to manage those processes oneself,is what many who share her syndrome find most difficult,and often find themselves having their thoughts,actions and reactions managed for them by well meaning outsiders who cannot ever begin to "understand" that syndrome.

Personally,I find it dispiriting and sad to follow this young womans descent into a never ending spiral of inner fear,even terror of what is,in effect,the Natural World evolving,with all of the uncertainties that brings with it.

From what is evident,Ms Thunberg has a definite value,I suspect Monetized,to many of those who guard,guide and prompt her public utterances and who may not have her own innermost best interests at heart.

The one thing Greta Thunberg is NOT,is a headbanger of any sort ! ☹️

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Surely you are not suggesting that an agenda could be behind the promotion of Greta. Away with your far fetched conspiracy theories. There is no way Greta was groomed and manipulated. She is totally grassroots and spontaneous. All of us who have a burning desire to save the planet realise that we must not stray from the path of Climate Repentance. We have to suffer for our Climate Sins until we reach a point where there is net zero carbon and Climate Justice. I stood on an overpass last week and weeped until I saw a Tesla. That lifted my spirits. Amazing batteries in those yokes. I hope the Chinese can cut a deal with the Taliban.

That last sentence just isn't true though. Go back 10 years when she was just 8, climate extremes were happening, people were denying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And as before, many of Greta's detractors clearly don't listen to her speak to see just how motivated she is to speak about the climate of her own volition rather than being instructed to do so.

As for the suggestion that climate change wasn't divisive until Greta came along, ffs, that just shows the level of argument that she is facing has no basis in reality a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I worded that incorrectly. What I meant to say is Gretta is turning people away and making them critical of a cause they fully support. The majority of adults don't want to be lectured to by an uneducated child on complex issues. . Thats all there is to it. Climate change deniers are a small minority whose voices won't or don't make any difference. . Go look at the air quality world map. Thats where you will find the real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

They are complex issues, but they are not that complicated to understand. In spite of her surly demeanour, I think she has a lot of support in a world where there are so many smiling phoneys. She started this crusade with the obvious outlook of someone who hadn’t yet begun to compromise, and of course, being lectured by a young, inexperienced girl will rub folks the wrong way. But then, just think of the myriad lies you have been told by wise old phuggers all your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Climate extremes", or more accurately severe weather events, have happened right throughout the history of the planet with every spin of the Earth on it's axis.

The climate was many times more extreme and often uninhabitable throughout numerous cycles in Earth's existence since it became a discernible planet holding an atmosphere.

There is absolutely nothing unusual about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I’ve thought long and hard about this conspiracy fact/theory/fiction…The production of oil has been increasing steadily for decades now and highly likely it will continue to do so. The increased efficiency if ICE engines has been more than offset by the increase in vehicles worldwide, the use of EV is just increasing the efficiency albeit with the advantage of cleaner air. The emergence of new super nations, Brazil is a good example of one, will consume more and more fossil fuels and they are nowhere near being concerned about climate change.

If I was in the oil business I wouldn’t be losing any sleep about green activists, there will always be a market for oil and if and when it becomes scarce well the price will just increase. The idea that the oil industry is worried about the green movement is at best laughable and at worst deluded.

Advertisement