Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience with PURE FTTH?

Options
  • 23-02-2021 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Specifically OpenEIR reselling. Living in an estate and I just convinced sky to release me from my contract due to dysmal speeds at peak times.

I've heard their customer service is good so I'm wondering if anyone has speed/ping reviews etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've recently switched from Virgin to Eir and had FTTH line install. I'm only paying for the 150MB package because I don't need anything more and its 30pm for 12 months. XBox, main TV and satellite box are the only hardwired devices and everything else will be limited by their own wifi performance.

My work laptop clocks 140MB/s+ download always, anywhere in the house over wifi, my personal laptop is a few years old but clocks 100MB/s+ download, as does my phone. All devices throttled to 30. The installer said the line was clocking 1000MB/s when he tested it.

As for customer care, I hope to never need it, that is the only satisfactory temecoms customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

WLad wrote: »
    Specifically OpenEIR reselling. Living in an estate and I just convinced sky to release me from my contract due to dysmal speeds at peak times.

I've heard their customer service is good so I'm wondering if anyone has speed/ping reviews etc.

With Pure since October. Very stable speeds for 1 gig naked broadband. New fiber roll out in our town and on my estate at least four other neighbors have FFTH. Very happy for 40 per month.
    10982919764.png

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

masterofp wrote: »
    With Pure since October. Very stable speeds for 1 gig naked broadband. New fiber roll out in our town and on my estate at least four other neighbors have FFTH. Very happy for 40 per month.
    10982919764.png

Nice. I'll probably go for the gig as well.
    That ping is excellent. I was going to ask what IP they show up under and its eir which from what I've seen means more steady speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Seems like they operating through Eir infrastructure fully , was it always the case ?
    Is it only virtual ISP , without anything their own at all?
    ( No gateways, no DNS servers , no routing etc )
    Subcontracting sales and Customer Care from Eir? At the moment they even sending old Eir's F2000 routers to some new customers ( with Eir's WiFi SSIDs btw)

I hope to God they aren't sending out F2000's. I have read they send out Fritzboxes so I'm hoping thats the case. @masterofp what router did you get do you know? I'll be ringing them today at some point so I'll be asking that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've just signed up to Pure to move from Eir FTTH. Does any of the settings change between Eir/Pure like the VLAN on the WAN connection or anything like that?

I just got activated today, going from Sky to Pure. I don't think so. I plugged the Fritzbox in yesterday without touching it and it worked before Pure even took over the line. My old Vodafone router used to work as well when Sky had the line. Not sure if you've got a 3rd party router will it keep working though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

which fritzbox model does pure supply?

how decent is the wifi on it?

BArra wrote: »
    which fritzbox model does pure supply?

how decent is the wifi on it?

It's the 7530. Not sure on the wifi coverage because I use deco m5s. Overall though the software seems good and it's very configurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I switched over to Pure today from Vodafone, and after multiple calls with their tech support they still can't get me online. They told me they need 24hours to be able to test the line. It can't possibly be a physical line fault since at 8:30 i was still working fine with Vodafone so it must be a configuration issue. Any possible ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Pure TELECOM guaranteed me they would switch me over and I would keep my old phone number as it is still used by elderly relatives. They have not ported over the phone number despite having the 2 seperate UANs for broadband and phone. Customer service has been atrocious

Move happened this morning while I'm just at work - internet is down it seems, no new HW was delivered to me.
    Anyone know if their FTTH settings (VLAN etc?) differ from Eir's?

for me the username is puretelecom@puretel.ie and the password is four characters but I can't tell what they are. I'm guessing it doesn't matter since I was still with sky and this router worked ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I just got signed up yesterday as well and used my mesh velop to connect the details I used are

(vlan ID 10)
    puretelecom@puretel.ie
    broadband1

They did send me a modem a absolute POS of a Hauewei f2000 so that stayed in the box. Its not new either, I think its a Eir one with a PureTelecom sticker on it. Did'nt care as I was always going to use my own anyway.

Here is a screenshot

Thanks both for the quick replies! I was on the phone to their tech support and when I asked for their settings the agent had no idea. I have worked as a tech support agent (for my sins) in the past and the settings to use was alway taught to newbies on the phones to give out as asked but with the 'we do not support bla bla bla.' So, my first experience with PureTelecom has been a bad one, fingers crossed when I get home I can pop in the username/pass and all will be good in the world

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I just got signed up yesterday as well and used my mesh velop to connect the details I used are

(vlan ID 10)
    puretelecom@puretel.ie
    broadband1

They did send me a modem a absolute POS of a Hauewei f2000 so that stayed in the box. Its not new either, I think its a Eir one with a PureTelecom sticker on it. Did'nt care as I was always going to use my own anyway.

Are you on the FTTH product or FTTC?
    I don't remember entering any username/pass when setting up Eir on an alt. router, it was just plugging the ethernet cable from the ONT and setting the VLAN to be 10

Eir's FTTH doesn't require PPPoE credentials, rest of the ISP with OpenEir FTTH
    require username and password.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Are you on the FTTH product or FTTC?
    I don't remember entering any username/pass when setting up Eir on an alt. router, it was just plugging the ethernet cable from the ONT and setting the VLAN to be 10

Im on Open Eir FTTH.
    I move from Airwire to PureTelecom yesterday.
    It's only a day but working perfect. Get aroun 970MBS down wired.

Also I needed to power off the ONT and on again although it could of been a timing issue on my side.

alec76 wrote: »
    Eir's FTTH doesn't require PPPoE credentials, rest of the ISP with OpenEir FTTH
    require username and password.
    Ah, very good - good note for anyone moving from Eir FTTH to another ISP is that if you want to keep the existing equipment (or your own) and you can login to change settings, you will need to change to PPPoE and pop in the ISPs username/password.
    After some Google Remote Desktop and laptop tethering fun (the '3' mobile network should be given a new home in hell) the home is all back up on the nets :D

Thanks for the info folks

• Advertisement

For some reason I thought that PureTelecom FTTH service used Eir all the way to the nets but its actually using BTIreland.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    For some reason I thought that PureTelecom FTTH service used Eir all the way to the nets but its actually using BTIreland.

They use both. When I spoke to them the tech support guy said he wasn't sure how it was determined but it could be either. Mine is BT and there's another example in this thread of eir.

Mind me asking what speed you're getting this time of night on BT backhaul?

They use both.

This is disaster, Ive thought it is only Eir .
    BT interconnect would be the worst option ever AFAIK.
    What about EU traffic ,is it all goes through UK? Could you do traceroute?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

They use both. When I spoke to them the tech support guy said he wasn't sure how it was determined but it could be either. Mine is BT and there's another example in this thread of eir.

are you on siro though? i think siro is bt and ftth is eir routed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm siro on bt backhaul and it hasn't missed a beat, wired speedtest always max out. I've never had evening contention issues etc

BArra wrote: »

are you on siro though? i think siro is bt and ftth is eir routed

Nope, I'm OpenEir ftth on BT backhaul.

Having serious evening congestion issues.

I could, let me know where to hit and I'll post the traceroute. Would be interesting to see the difference between eir and bt backhaul.

790/96Mbps UniFi router shows both last night and now.
        In other news, they just delivered their router, a FRITZ!Box 7530 - will get it into the garage to gather dust in a mo.
        Traffic seems to all stay within Ireland rather than going via the UK. Let me know if there are any other destination addresses you might want checked.
        ~$ traceroute virginmedia.com
        traceroute to virginmedia.com (213.105.9.24), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
         1  unifi.localdomain (192.168.1.254)  0.097 ms  0.075 ms  0.083 ms
         2  lo***.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.131.35)  1.781 ms  1.796 ms  1.778 ms
         3  bundle-***.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.150.2)  2.586 ms  2.642 ms  2.833 ms
         4  be203-100.core201.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.129.165)  2.578 ms  2.582 ms  2.705 ms
         5  bundle-ether603.br202.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.129.129)  2.738 ms  2.782 ms bundle-ether503.br201.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.129.133)  2.704 ms
         6  166-49-168-192.gia.bt.net (166.49.168.192)  2.344 ms  2.169 ms  2.624 ms
         7  t2c4-et-7-1-5.uk-lon1.gia.bt.net (166.49.208.100)  12.466 ms t2c4-et-7-1-2.uk-lon1.gia.bt.net (166.49.208.82)  12.322 ms  12.339 ms
         8  166-49-214-198.gia.bt.net (166.49.214.198)  11.623 ms  11.529 ms  11.712 ms
         9  * * *
        10  uk-lon01b-ri1-ae-23-0.aorta.net (84.116.135.30)  23.328 ms  12.450 ms  23.318 ms
        11  * * *
        12  manc-ic-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.254.42.242)  20.004 ms  19.931 ms  19.952 ms

~$ traceroute rte.ie
        traceroute to rte.ie (104.18.143.17), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
         1  unifi.localdomain (192.168.1.254)  0.101 ms  0.080 ms  0.070 ms
         2  lo***.bmt.btireland.net (*)  1.821 ms  2.180 ms  2.175 ms
         3  bundle-***.bmt.btireland.net (*)  3.320 ms  3.161 ms  3.172 ms
         4  be204-100.core202.bmt.btireland.net (193.95.129.167)  3.224 ms  3.263 ms  3.258 ms
         5  be303-100.core201.cwt.btireland.net (193.95.129.81)  3.338 ms  3.710 ms be304-100.core201.cwt.btireland.net (193.95.129.85)  3.455 ms
         6  be203-100.rt102.cwt.btireland.net (193.95.129.242)  3.394 ms  3.213 ms  3.128 ms
         7  inex1.as13335.net (185.6.36.76)  3.655 ms  3.743 ms  3.707 ms
         8  104.18.143.17 (104.18.143.17)  2.980 ms  2.945 ms  2.910 ms

Interesting enough. I had heard before that BT backhaul was good. I've just run the same as yours and its almost identical. Are you openeir or siro?

The only difference to yours was its taking me 14 ms to hit the first hop after my local router which I'm a bit surprised about. Yours is <2 ms which is what I would have expected.

• Advertisement

I'm on Openeir

Advertisement