Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Pool

Options
  • 22-03-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I would like an outdoor pool and has anyone here had one done, space not an issue at all as I am in the country and I am open to all ideas also any idea of cost,many thanks Forestgirl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is a bit of an open ended question - the answer is - well it all depends!

Presumably you are talking about a pond rather than a swimming pool? Are you looking for formal 'dressed up' pond or a wild pond? Do you want a bog garden or paved edges? How much aftercare do you want to give it ? What kind of site do you have - flat, sloping, wooded, meadow?

If you are as successful as me in trying to get landscape gardeners to come to a rural address, then it won't be any time soon. They have too much work in urban areas (when the lockdown finishes) to be bothered travelling country roads. You might be looking for a man with a digger to dig out a hole then line it with sand and liner and possibly get the digger man to rearrange some of the dug out soil round the edges and into sloping beds - or remove it completely. That would be the cheapest and most satisfying way of doing it if you are able for it.

Edit, I suspect you may be looking for a swimming pool, reading your question again. I was talking to a pool installer when I was getting rid of a pool I inherited in a garden and he was talking in the area of €40k for an approx 6 x 4m over ground pool, installed. It does depend on a lot of things. You would want to fully investigate maintenance and upkeep costs before committing. For example, you will find yourself running a pump for about 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for the season regardless of how much you use it.

Edit again, you also need protective fencing, and it will affect your house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Yes a swimming pool but the maintaining would put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wolftown

Heating costs for indoor pools are expensive, can only imagine what an outdoor pool would cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You could try a natural swimming pond, rather than a heated and chlorinated swimming pool. Should be lower maintenance in theory.

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/our-pool-is-a-body-of-rainwater-with-no-chemicals-or-chlorine-meet-the-family-with-a-natural-outdoor-pool-at-their-home-near-fermoy-39661732.html

Cost-wise, it depends on how much labour and digging you do yourself (for free) vs paying machines and other people to do it.

Materials are the other cost. For natural ponds you need aquatic plants and a base layer.

In the article above the estimate is around 40k

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, heating a pool sounds like a disaster financially (and environmentally); a 6m x 4m x 1.5m pool, if my calculations are correct, would cost 42kWh or roughly €6 to heat, for each degree C temp raised, based on a unit of electricity costing 15c.

• Advertisement

The pool we had, which was old and not really worth bringing back to usability, was not heated, but it did have a kind of basic solar heater - a long black plastic affair that was set up to catch the sun and the water circulated through it, was actually quite effective. We tried it and on a very average day it brought the temperature of the water up by a good few degrees, still chilly but suitable for swimming (we didn't swim, the pool was manky).

You have to mess about with cleaning, chemicals, maintaining the actual pool, and the surrounds. It has to be covered and uncovered, 'swept' and tested. If you have neighbouring (or your own) children you are liable for any of them getting into the garden and falling in it. At the start of the season it has to be set up then the pump has to be kept going for about a third of the time during the season till you close it down again at the end.
    You have to get electrics installed from the house to the pool, and storage for all the paraphernalia.

Unless money is no object and you can afford someone to maintain it for you on a weekly basis then you would probably find, as we concluded, that a pool is a large hole that you throw money into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds cheaper to sell the house and move to one beside the sea...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looksee wrote: »
    You have to mess about with cleaning, chemicals, maintaining the actual pool, and the surrounds. It has to be covered and uncovered, 'swept' and tested. If you have neighbouring (or your own) children you are liable for any of them getting into the garden and falling in it. At the start of the season it has to be set up then the pump has to be kept going for about a third of the time during the season till you close it down again at the end.
    You have to get electrics installed from the house to the pool, and storage for all the paraphernalia.

you get the Pool Boy to do all that stuff.

We couldn't find one good looking enough...

(that's probably sexist?)

Pool person? I am not helping, am I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

OP, a friend of mine, who runs his own electrical business, installed a pool with solar power to heat it - that would seem to be the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Heat Pump heating apparently is the way to go, plus you could use a solar panel to power the heat pump & maybe keep it totally off grid.

Advertisement