Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

i recall some turf muncher here back in the day proclaiming tommy tiernan is the best comedian in the world and i was reminded of that when he interviewed mike scott and brought up differences between catholics and prods, which would get great lols at a tommy gig :) scott shut him down immediately

T Tiernan has his moments, but I don't think I'd go and see him do a comedy show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Tony Cantwell would be the best around these days.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Granadino wrote: »
    T Tiernan has his moments, but I don't think I'd go and see him do a comedy show.

I'll never forgive him for wasting our night and hard earned money because he had to get drunk before his show in the INEC a couple of years ago.

A horrible way to treat people who paid good money to support you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'll never forgive him for wasting our night and hard earned money because he had to get drunk before his show in the INEC a couple of years ago.

To be honest, that's not uncommon. I recall quite a few people mentioning comedians turning up wasted, or other's who only did half a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

He's an alcoholic who seems to fall off the wagon regularly, he's back on it now as far as I know. I saw him about 5 years ago in Bray on a work night out, it was pure sh*t. Not sure if he dabbles in the sneachta but it appeared to be the case on that night. About 45 minutes in after heading into his trademark unfunny shouting and roaring about nothing, the audience lost interest and started chatting to one another. This upset him so he got into a very heated argument with a few women in the first few rows in front and they basically told him he was sh*te and to f*ck off. They left and so did most soon after and then we followed.

I can't really understand all the plaudits for him now, its not like he's taken on some new approach or has developed some new talent, he's still sh*te. Speaks volumes about the state of our entertainment industry and RTÉ in general if this is our new "up an coming talent", some has been washed up alco aul lad makes spectacular comeback because lets be honest his television show is pure dirt also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He was on the up and was heading international then booked 5 million gigs in vicar st and made his fortune here , it’s Irish comedy for home and Irish abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Tadhg Fleming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yer man Martin Beanz Ward is an awful sh1te commedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I spotted this link over on the radio forum and it reminded me of Brendan O Connors attempts to convince the nation that he was a comedian. He was a panelist on Dont Feed The Gondolas in the late 90s.

i remember one edition where he got up Mr Pussys nose....

He said to him "basically you've just got the one gag and that's you dressed as woman"

Mr Pussy retorted by saying "well you're just an unfunny pr!ck"

Not sure Ballsy was ever, really, a comedian. Funny or not.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

more of a humorous social commentator, which he still is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Me hole Martin

smilerf wrote: »
    Me hole Martin

That’s really funny. Did you come up with that zinger by yourself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fryup wrote: »

He said to him "basically you've just got the one gag and that's you dressed as woman"

I recall yer man Bryan mcfadden getting abuse from O’Connor and his retort made me laugh some thing like “yeah like the state of your jaw” and then made a gurney face

I spotted this link over on the radio forum and it reminded me of Brendan O Connors attempts to convince the nation that he was a comedian. He was a panelist on Dont Feed The Gondolas in the late 90s. I remember one section in the early days had him doing these Mike Murphy inspired candid camera pieces while out and about in disguise, basically his schtick was bullying members of the public into playing along. He went too far with one fella (think it was a taxi driver) who told him where to go and Ballsy backed off fairly fast. The show went downhill fast after Sean Moncrief left and Ballsy took over as the main host where it was clear he was out of his depth.

https://magill.ie/archive/making-living-being-boor
    He's decent enough on the radio, passable like, but you'd never imagine he once tried his hand at comedy. Chekhov Feaney's article at the bottom of your link is pretty damning.

Perhaps he has mellowed with age. Still not funny, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

fryup wrote: »

He had a go at Louis Walsh when the latter was a guest on it another time. This was circa 2000 when BOC briefly sported this hideous peroxide hairstyle and Louis shot back at him over his hair. Cant remember exactly what was said but Ballsy had a face like thunder on him.

He had a go at Louis Walsh when the latter was a guest on it another time. This was circa 2000 when BOC briefly sported this hideous peroxide hairstyle and Louis shot back at him over his hair. Cant remember exactly what was said but Ballsy had a face like thunder on him.

Was Brendan on the sneachta at the time? (He's admitted to using this in the past, but we all know old habits die hard. And there was a 'delivery man' going to RTE at the time, according to Eamon Dunphy).

Another time he almost started a massive fight, on the streets, with some protesters. Literally acting the maggot in front of cameras, pulling the 'I'll fight ye all'... I'd say one stiff breeze and he'd fall over.

His wikipedia entry is hilarious tho-- wrong on every announcement he made, while sucking up to the Z listers and people who broke the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_O%27Connor_(media_personality)

Apres Match can be often hit and miss, but they nailed the absolute blandness of BOC's 'Cutting Edge'.
    I remember that BOC's show was decent when he allowed discussion, often of controversial topics. But the show started in 2016, we had the 'Metoo' movement in 2017... and the show went Woke after that, then was afraid to offend in 2019, and was swiftly axed in 2019... Oh I mean, it's 'resting'... *koff*

Was Brendan on the sneachta at the time? (He's admitted to using this in the past, but we all know old habits die hard. And there was a 'delivery man' going to RTE at the time, according to Eamon Dunphy).

Another time he almost started a massive fight, on the streets, with some protesters. Literally acting the maggot in front of cameras, pulling the 'I'll fight ye all'... I'd say one stiff breeze and he'd fall over.

His wikipedia entry is hilarious tho-- wrong on every announcement he made, while sucking up to the Z listers and people who broke the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_O%27Connor_(media_personality)

Lol, I'd forgotten about that thing with the protesters. Is there footage of that out there?

Lol, I'd forgotten about that thing with the protesters. Is there footage of that out there?

I haven't found it, but it was such a cringeworthy moment. When BOC went 'woke' it was like when Jim Jeffries tried the same crap, just more people kept receipts on Jeffries.

The most irritating thing about Brendan is no matter what crap he spouts, in terms of wokeness, you just know he doesn't believe any of it.
    He's the same boorish ignoramus he's always been.

Apres Match can be very hit-and-miss but that's also a great impression of that dose, Ian O'Doherty.

• Advertisement

Apres Match can be very hit-and-miss but that's also a great impression of that dose, Ian O'Doherty.

Oddly enough, I don't think Ian was ever invited on the show. Rather odd, because he gets invited onto Maura and Daithi.

I suppose they're cut from the same cloth (him and BOC) so the smugness would just break the TV.

Not sure Ballsy was ever, really, a comedian. Funny or not.

He wasnt really but he did badly want to be one early on. The cancellation of Dont Feed The Gondolas soon after he took over as host was probably his wake up call in that respect.

Oddly enough, I don't think Ian was ever invited on the show. Rather odd, because he gets invited onto Maura and Daithi.

I suppose they're cut from the same cloth (him and BOC) so the smugness would just break the TV.

Very much so. Similar lower middle class with notions backgrounds and outlooks. IOD has never managed to move on in the way BOC has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

For great (unintentional) comedy i remember a programme where your man O'Doherty bravely went into the belly of the beast, as it were, and spent some time with a Muslim family, trying to get to know and understand them or something. Can only remember one bit where he takes the huff over something or other and petulantly storms off to the pub where he can happily vent to camera over his pint of lager. I dont think i could stomach much more of it at that point but it was pretty funny while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

PJ Gallagher
    Ardal o Hanlon
    Deidre Kane
    Dara o Brian
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne,

All useless.

He wasnt really but he did badly want to be one early on. The cancellation of Dont Feed The Gondolas soon after he took over as host was probably his wake up call in that respect.

I don't think he did quite 'wake up'. Looking at his writing, I get the feeling he fancies himself as some kind of George Carlin or Richard Pryor, especially with the use of racial expletives or incendiary words. (The difference is that Carlin, Lenny Bruce, or Pryor have a point to make when they use those words. They're challenging you, basically wanting to take the power out of the words. BOC doesn't get that. ) But I imagine if people say O'Connor is incendiary, he'll say 'its satire'.

Everyone thinks they're 'funny'... but there's a big difference between being the 'funny friend' and 'funny comedian'.
    There's an art to comedy.

Off Topic but related to comedy.

There's an IRish guy, on twitter, Sean Burke. He's not bad-pretty funny. Doesn't do the usual 'Immersion', 'Irish mammies', 'Tayto vs King crisps' tired, stupid jokes. His jokes are more 'international', with only a few jokes that are Irish specific.

For great (unintentional) comedy i remember a programme where your man O'Doherty bravely went into the belly of the beast, as it were, and spent some time with a Muslim family, trying to get to know and understand them or something. Can only remember one bit where he takes the huff over something or other and petulantly storms off to the pub where he can happily vent to camera over his pint of lager. I dont think i could stomach much more of it at that point but it was pretty funny while it lasted.
    O'Doherty's tragedy is that he was not born an Englishman, or never went there. The tabloid readers of places like Norwich and Bexley would lap that shïte right up. There's a man who didnt fulfill his destiny.

I maintain this isn't off topic — you just instinctively know O'Doherty tried to make it as a stand-up comic at some stage.

I did find some of “stuff” funny enough. Pretending to be a security guard and stopping people with hats on the street saying they’d had reports of people keeping things under their hats.

‘Who’s in the House’ was very funny at the time too. That’s about it. Did he continue on the Moncrieff “prank call” at the end of the show? Done of those were very funny, calling the FBI after the Yahoo hack saying she thought it was her husband who was always online, hacking off, in the shed shouting ‘yahoo, ya bollocks!’.

That was priceless. He was clearly out of his depth playing ‘5 a side’ and walks off saying someone implied he was an alcoholic. A true professional contrarian.

That was priceless. He was clearly out of his depth playing ‘5 a side’ and walks off saying someone implied he was an alcoholic. A true professional contrarian.

Didn't O'Doherty once do this big massive 'abolish the Seanad' speech on the Late Late Show one time, discussing how it was useless for democracy etc.

Then about 10 or 15 minutes later he blurts out 'he's not registered to vote' and never has.
    How the f**k does one go on TV, complain about politics-and then not even bother to vote for political change?
    Pat Kenny never quizzed him on that. He bloody should have, but the segment was pointless anyway. (We still have a Seanad, all these years later).

As someone said before, I imagine he did dream of once pursuing a comedy career. PRobably tried to do stand-up too.
    But, when he was funny as a reoccurring bout of diarrhea, he probably blamed the audience.
    God, Ireland has as many 'attempted Stand-up comedians' as it does 'former models'.

• Advertisement

Advertisement